Sunday 12 August 2018

Mark The Barber of Penticton Blues: Saturday, August 11th!

Once you hear the details of victory, it is hard to distinguish it from a defeat. -Jean-Paul Sartre, writer and philosopher (1905-1980) 

This morning I was off to have my ears lowered and my beard trimmed so I left the gang, around 9:20 am, making arrangements to meet them somewhere along Main to watch the Peach Festival Parade which was to start at 10:00 am. As Mark was snipping away I saw the contingent from Burns Street walk past the shop window and a few minutes later, Lady Dar returned to let me know where they had set up their beach chairs. Once I was shorn, I thanked and paid Mark and then strolled but a few paces to join the crew. Julien had arrived shortly after I left house and had come along. I had not seen him for a couple of years when he and his parents had stayed overnight on their move from Quebec to Qualicum Beach. Very bright young man so it was a pleasure to visit with him while we waited for the parade to start.


As these things work, we've had not rain for months but this morning their were a few showers and I had taken an umbrella with me when I set off. Fortunately, it stayed dry after first few sprinklings but light rain did clear the air and certainly cooled things off. Parade started with VPD motorcycle squad and then great good fun watching all the floats, [Many more from neighbouring communities in the States than I had ever seen before.], marching bands, local politicians and businesses, and the stars, "royalty" from other festivals as well as our our Peach Queen and her Princesses. Ashlynn ans Avery thought it was Halloween as candy was passed out by many float attendants, so much so that Sarge insisted they hand it over to him after first few suckers and candies ended up being unwrapped and immediately plopped into a waiting mouth!

After parade ended, (90 minutes worth), we headed down to Farmers' Market. Julien and I made our own way as Avery and Ashlynn were reasonably tired by then and after a short time Sarge wanted to take them back to Sendero for naps. Flamin' and Lady Dar had their own shopping agendas so I was happy to show Julien rest of scene and introduced him to a number of our favourite vendors along the way. Bought some wonderful onions, (red and Walla Walla), before heading to The Corn Man for a dozen Sweet Ladies, part of the night's dinner.

Back home The Sisterhood were serving Greek food, (from the Market), for lunch. After the delicious fare both Flamin' and Lady Dar had naps of their own, [Before heading to beach to meet Sarge with girls.], while I took Julien up to Sendero to show him Chloë's place and while there we put pads on the bottom of her dining room chairs. On way home we stopped at Freedom Bikes, just a few blocks from our place, as his friend, Zack, works there. [Zack's Dad own place!] I wanted to ask about a training wheel for the bike I'm using on the stationary set-up. Apparently the wear and tear on a normal tire is much greater in this situation so a friend suggested I investigate a proper training tire, specifically designed for such wear. I might even be able to use a spare rim I have so that would reduce overall expense.

After chatting with Zack, I left Julien to continue visit and I drove home, to tidy up house and soak corn in water. Was ready to have a nap of my own by this time and just as I was about to lie down Julien returned, saying he was keen to do the same! Had a great snooze and only woke up when The Sisterhood literally breezed in the front door, sending dried leaves into the kitchen/living room. Wind had been so strong that it blew Lady Dar's deck chair over, spilling her Chai Latte, set into a cup holder in arm! Waves were so high they crashed over the top of a small children's' slide on the shore.

Anyway, ensuing commotion woke me from a delicious sleep and I joined in the supper preparations. Once again Flamin' fed Ashlynn and Avery before the adults were ready to eat. Once girls had had supper, Sarge drove them downtown to hand them over to their other set of grandparents, in town, from Kamloops, to attend the Saturday night concert at Lakeshore Park. Once Sarge was back we enjoyed the wonderful corn together with Lady Dar's turkey burgers, made with feta and beet greens and a mixed green salad by Patrizzio! Flamin' and Sarge wanted to go back tot he concert so after dinner they strolled downtown. Rest of us weren't interested so we stayed at the table and visited for an hour or so before we headed inside. Lady Dar and Julien readied themselves for bed. Julien had to be up by 4:00 am as his bus was leaving, for Kelowna at 5:00 am! Once we'd said our goodbyes, I worked away on the dinner dishes and was almost done when the free-concert Freeloaders returned. Said goodnight to them as I was ready for the Land of Nod myself, in spite of my refreshing nap. Dear Patrick, ​ Corinne and Chloë, I can now announce, that Patrick's bike has arrived. I have a lock to it, and will keep it until you tell me otherwise. Thank you for your email. From your level of activity and functioning, PAtrick, I trust your rehabilitation after head trauma and pneumonia is proceeding very well. Relieved to know that. Very interesting with new kitchen, and Chloë's new home. Looking forward to inspect both, within the next year or two!

 
Summer here is still extraordinary dry and hot, (though thunder and rain showers this past night). We are swimming open water as never before, culminating with planned trip to Barcelona mid-September to swim in an open water event from Cadaqués, starting off in the neighborhood of Salvador Dali's home, by the way). We've had a great summer, Sweden, (swimming in lake, Hans introduced to part of my Swedish family) Croatia (more swimming in wonderfully clear water, watching Croatias soccer team play world cup , with the Croatians, then at home more swimming by coast near Aarhus , water tp up to tropical 25 degrees C.
Boys now less interested in traveling /holidays with me, so Peter came along to Sweden, and Johan to Croatia. Schools are starting up, Peter continues ordinary high school (gymnasium) 2nd year, Johan is starting business gymnasium 1st year. Gymnasium is 3 years. Hans and I are still together, even speaking about moving in together, he is in process of selling his house ( he was when I met him, still not sold), my house is a little too small, we think. Perhaps for some time he will rent a place untill we figure out the best plan for a continous life together. As to now, I don't mind living apart because we are together everyday, anyways! XO from Margareta
 
Hi Montague Margareta! Terrific to hear from you! Thanks so much for letting me know bike had finally arrived. Anyway, I hope I'll be able to ride with it, with you and Hans, at some point in the not too, too distant future. Until then, please feel free to use it if you are so inclined.Thanks, as well, for your concern regarding my falls/pneumonia but am well on road to full recovery so nasty ending to bike trip almost seems like a dream now. Your swimming holidays sounded wonderful. Exciting news about moving in together. Don't forget teh Montague when you do decide to change houses! Hard to believe Johan and Peter are in high school. For our part, Ayn will fly up on September 1st so we will celebrate her birthday, (September 4th), earlier that weekend as she returns on the 3rd. Believe she is still looking for a place to buy. Big news is that we are to be greatgrandparents in February, all going well! Fondestos from Lady Dar, to you, Dearest Margareta, and to Johan, Peter and Hans. Stay well. Take care of each other. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Greetings from back in LA LA Land! I was unplugged for the rest of the week up at Sparkling Hill! Corinne, it’s a must-do! A little noisy at times, but super relaxing!😊 They run all kinds of off-season and locals specials (I got in on the West Coast deal but I know they have more). Got stuck in Seattle when I missed my connection - crazy long lines at Customs. Oy Vey indeed! But made it home and now have two weeks worth of work emails to sort through! Thank you, again, for everything!!! Hope you are out at the market this morning! I am missing my little piece of heaven on the Naramata Bench. Sigh. Cheers and see you sooooon, Jane PS - Chloe, hope all went well with your move! Welcome back Jane!

Hi Never Never! I'm not going to apologize for taking so long to reply to your "fake" message, [I thought you'd been de-Trumpified once you crossed border!], as I know you never flew back to Tinsel Town! Senka told me that you were living at the winery and would be helping with the harvest when you are not pampering yourself at Sparkling Hill! Nice touch about missing your connection in Seattle and having a tough time with Customs! I wasn't born yesterday, Babycakes!

Anyway, if you'd bother to pop down from your little piece of heaven in The Naramata you'd know that we are still dealing with The Kitchen Renovation Blues! If you haven't made other plans you can come for dinner tomorrow night, wearing a wine sock over your head so that Mme Coriandre, (aka Cora Lee and/or Lady Dar), and Sendero Canyon Goil won't recognize you, maintaining the fiction that you are back in Tinsel Town. Fondestos from  Corinne. All the very best. Stay well. Say hello to your host parents, Senka and Bob. [They are invited for dinner as well!]. Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment