Saturday 25 August 2018

Elite Alu Trainer and the Back Wheel Blues: Saturday, August 25th!

No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich, journalist and author (b. 26 Aug 1941) 


This morning we pulled out a number of the large rugs we hadn't been able to use in former kitchen configuration and Lady Dar is trying them out to see what might work where. While they are spread on floor I'll vacuum them as still dusty from earlier renovations. For those we won't use we'll ask ChloĆ« if she might like any for her place as we'd rather have them used than stored. As well, more furniture to be moved but this will take more effort as will require moving other pieces, now in the Rumpus Room, as well as unloading  large book shelf, now in my office. More dusting and vacuuming. When will it ever end? When will it ever end? Enough! Oy Vey, Already!


Strolled down to the Farmers' Market this morning. Lady Dar didn't join me as she was busy preparing for a wedding this afternoon. Another one tomorrow so pretty busy, of late. Needed cukes and tomatoes and also stumbled upon River Stone, [recommended by Bill Gross!], winery out of Oliver, so picked up a bottle of their 2015 Merlot, 15% and their 2015 Stones Throw, 14.7%, a Bordeaux blend, Merlot, Cabbage, Malbec and Petit Verdot. Must away as I would like to have the bookshelves moved by the time The Marriage Officiant is back, barking out orders! Fondestos from her, in absentia, busy tying marital knots. All the very best. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patricio, For starters, my Dad is not doing well.  He has been in the hospital over a month now.  Although he is medically stable enough to be discharged, he has been exhibiting some “bad” behavior so they will not release him to 24 hr home care.  I don’t think he is coming home.  Everything is on hold until probably, he will be placed in a care facility.  I had been visiting him at least every other day, but for 5 days I did a bit of a road trip to Portland.  Now he has no idea of who I am.  The dementia thing is really bad.  I do not want to go out that way.
 
[Cute, but not cuddly!! Courtesy of the Portland zoo.] As for me, well, I sort of feel alone.  Although my dad was not exactly great company, just popping my head in when I left the house or came back was significant.  I am now with just the cat downstairs, that hisses and growls if I try to give it some affection.  I tried to bring it upstairs so we could keep each other company, no go.  Well it always was a weird little beast. I was totally into the World Cup.  I only really care who wins a match when Croatia is playing, so I was a bit of a basket case watching them get to the final, after wining 3 knock-out game in extra time, two by penalty kicks!  The Croatian midfielder (Mordic) won the Golden Ball award (MVP) - he is truly an awesome player.  They are now #4 in the FIFA world rankings - wow!  The only disappointment was that I really feel Mandzukic (the striker) should have been picked fr the “all star” team … but hey, politics prevail.  They had to give it to Saint Ronaldo who only had one good game and Portugal didn’t even make it out of the group phase.



[The baby version … more cuddly.] I can’t wait to visit and see your renos!  Got lot’s to tell about my Portland trip and ridiculous border experience (welcome to Trump’s America!) Hope to see you soon //bjp Some pics follow ...Branko

 Hi Ragin'! Must be tough for you knowing your Dad's dementia is making life so difficult for him, not to mention hospital staff. Loneliness, aside, I do believe it is far, far better for you both for him to be anywhere but at home. Anyway, you've been dealt a very tough hand and both Lady Dar and I certainly sympathize with your situation. On a brighter note, did enjoy your warm, fuzzy porcupines! Also empathize with your border crossing woes. I always bite my tongue and put on my most sychophantic face when we head down south as nothing to do but play ball according to the rules set down by the boys with big bats, both literal and legal. Find the guards at the Osoyoos crossing tend to be a tad friendlier, perhaps because it isn't quite as busy as ones closer to Vancouver.

[Canada geese in Portland.  No passport. No border searches. Protected!! No goose BBQs in Portland either!] 

Not sure what your schedule will be like in September but Lady Dar has set Saturday, September 15th, for our End of Summer/End of Renovation Blues Bash. You are invited and welcome to stay before and/or after. Grog and Lurch are supposed to be staying over the 13th/14th but the Murphy beds are now operational, (ie. accessible!), so plenty of room. Had two tables last night and Phillipo reported that there is plenty of firewood available so bring your work gloves! Not to put a damper on your pure doggy love for Juno but I don't think you should bring her along as both Etta and Due have had so much 'trauma" these last two months, with renovation noise and activity, that they truly need some time to reintegrate themselves into new space. As of this writing, probably another week's worth of finishing up so really only a week or so before party weekend. At any rate, you are welcome whenever it suits.
 
I strolled down to the Farmers' Market late this morning. Lady Dar didn't join me as she was busy preparing for a wedding that afternoon. Needed cukes and tomatoes and also stumbled upon River Stone, winery out of Oliver, so picked up a bottle of their 2015 Merlot, 15% and their 2015 Stones Throw, 14.7%, a Bordeaux blend, Merlot, Cabbage, Malbec and Petit Verdot. For dinner, enjoyed the Merlot with Lady Dar's aubergine/minced turkey casserole and both were stunningly delicious. Light rain, late that afternoon, [Coming after forty years of living on the Wet Coast seems rather funny to wish for rain! Becoming more Californian all the time!], was absolutely wonderful, for all sorts of reasons. However, affected Lady Dar's wedding  ceremony a tad, fortunately not catastrophically!  Fondestos to you, Ragin', from Imelda! All the very best. Stay well! Cheers, Il Conduttore.

Art: Maurice Sand (1823-1889)
Eeee-hoe- lay, As a colorful dresser, photographer and bike riding person please add book dropper to your accomplishments. Sincerely Jakes delivery service 
Dear Delivery Man! Thanks for popping books back to Burns. I should have told you that I was planning to take them in to store for trade-ins! Anyway, I just missed you, according to staff. On another matter, uncovered From First Avenue when I finally had time to reorganize my office. It was buried under heaps of other books, piled high, to make room for kitchen renovations! I will bring it to this coming week's Farmers' Market if you will be there. Let me know and I'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio, Striving to be Renaissance Man!
Hi Patrick, Great pictures! Congratulations to the new home, new kitchen, and happy peach festival, (remember, we joined in when last visiting you in 2015) We will take good care of bike on that  only condition, that you PROMISE to come and visit (to get it!;-)  )

Molotov bread basket
(Soviet RRAB-3 bomb)
I am fine,  but mourning that my best, (girl), friend deceased a week a go. Gitte (Birgitte) A wonderful, thoughtful, fun friend, like my older sister, collegue,  co-researcher in those days we were doing research,  close friends since those days mid 1990's. Had breast cancer 18 years ago, then  several good years and now second recurrence. She was 63. She had twins, at an 'old' age. like me, they are now 25. I am close to them all. Will go to funeral next Saturday  in Odense, where they live.


Despite this,  I am  preparing for a long ocean swim tomorrow, across  Aarhus Bay, 4.2 kms. First time for me, third time for Hans. I'll tell you later how it was. :-) Water is cooling down with the cooler air, ocean and lakes have reached record high temperatures this summer, fantastic  swimming for now three months. All for now, take care. XO Margareta

Hi Margareta! Terribly sorry to learn of Gitte's death. Deepest condolences to you from both Corinne and I. On a brighter note, I trust your ocean swim went well, in spite of cooler water. Thanks for congratulations on renovations. Coming along nicely. Fondestos to you, Ocean Swimmer, from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio.

Finnish soldier with a Molotov cocktail
Photo: Wikimedia Commons
Had a great late dinner with Sam and Alex. Her name will be Olivia...middle name likely Rose, Jade or Grace Yep, a new member for the Sisterhood will arrive late winter Seeing Melvin tomorrow for lunch with Pierre and Shannon after they get home from church. Pierre has been going regularly to Shepherd of the Hills in Porter Ranch with Shannon. Love to all and see you in 4 sleeps so Penticton. Looking forward to your visit! Really Pierre is going to church! A girl that will be fun! Give Melvin my love and condolences. Mom See you soon!
Won't be able to see Melvin as he was not able to view his mother's body yesterday but will go back to LA today to do so and then fly home later today.
She wanted to be cremated and have her ashes scattered out at sea off of Santa Monica beach.  So after the wedding of Jessica's daughter on 9/16, they will charter a boat on 9/17 to do so. Ayn xoxo


Hi Samantha & Alex, I've been meaning to email for some time now to congratulate you on becoming parents in February. We are very excited to become Great Grandparents or the GG's as I guess we could be called. I hope to visit you three when I leave Mexico at the end of February. I plan to stop in LA for a few days. Alex on another note, I was very sorry to hear about Melonie's passing. It is a big loss for you all. Thinking of you both as you enjoy this time of waiting for your baby. Much love Nana & Poppa

Hi Corinne—Petey and I would like to invite you and Patrick to “lupper” (if that’s the correct contraction for a late lunch-early supper?) Chez Lighthall on Sunday, September 9th. Jocelyn and Jim are coming to visit for a few days and are staying with us for the Naramata part of their trip. They will have my company only for the first couple of days as Petey is in South America until the 8th. He is off again very early in the a.m. on the 10th. I want to get everyone together here. Hence my “lupper” invitation. Come (hungry) for 3:30ish and we’ll take it from there. It’ll be good to see you and catch up. It’s been awhile. Cheers for now, Lynne XO

P.S. Thanks for your phone call, Corinne, enquiring after our well-being and whereabouts. We were gone for two weeks on our Northern and Island Adventure. We had a great time despite the horrific smoky weather in some parts. We’ll fill you in on all the details when we see you. 


Sorry Patrick but I can’t find the belt Dusty used to wear ,it must have got
Bagged up with the rest of his things ,if I do find it I will certainly send it to you Went for lunch to Betty’s yesterday,a perfect day for it out on their deck
They had Jan, our minister & her husband there too. Karen, Ryan’s sister, took Quinn & Emmett to Rainbow Stage last night to see Beauty & the Beast. They stayed overnight at Bernice & Len’s. I assume they are still there if Mar is in hospital with a fever. Things have been tough for Mar past week, now they have to replace her port. G & B are out here right now for weekend. We need a good rain here. Farmers won’t have enough feed for their cattle for winter, grass hasn’t grown much this past few weeks. Kitchen looks great, too bad about the different colour cork. Like the 2-seater couch Clara.


Hi Rosita! Don't worry about Dusty's belt but you can still send a large suitcase filled with $US! Our hearts simply go out to Marlo. What a tough, tough hand she has been dealt. We need rain here as well, although it has been considerably cooler over last few days so some slight optimism regarding fight against terrible wildfires.

I like two-seater as well but am not a fan of the chairs. I think they are too high as well as not overly comfortable, for me, at least, with my short stubby Ukrainian legs. I'd rather another two-seater, (Give chairs to ChloĆ« who likes them.) Furthermore, light colour is a very poor choice, as far as I'm concerned, given that both cats will want to sleep on them, not to mention showing every speck of dirt or red wine spills! 
However, Lady Dar goes on and on and on about being able to swivel, to turn from gazing at cosy fireplace to look directly into her eyes as she works her magic on the new gas cook-top. Swivel smivel! Great for Avery and Ashlyn to have a merry-go-round ride smack dab in the middle of the living room whenever they come over to terrorize! [They already use bar stools like playground roundabouts, whirring around until I'm worried they'll vomit into dip bowl after filling their tummies with fistfuls of humus!] I think she's nuts but she's your daughter and as stubborn as Quinn! Fondestos to you, Clarisse, from Lady Dar. All the very best. Stay well! Cheers, Patrizzio, Still Your Favourite Son-in-Law!

Patrick, As always, great to catch up on your news so humorously documented. We too are tired of the smoke. I had a nice two week break from it while in the Maritimes this month where I visited with family and ate lobster in 27 degrees under clear blue skies. I am looking forward to seeing your renovations. I am sure they are stunning. Looking forward to seeing you and Corinne Tuesday night. Pamela




No comments:

Post a Comment