Monday 1 July 2019

Run to Kelowna and Happy Canada Day Blues: Monday, July 1st!

Guard within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness. -George Sand [pen name of Amantine-Aurore-Lucile Dupin], novelist (1 Jul 1804-1876)



Happy Canada Day! Enjoy our special day--- share the red and white proudly! Jo-Anne and Colin Have a great day. Most recent pictures of our gorgeous Elowen. We are home now and missing our little cherub so much! Lots of love Gayle and Derek
Thanks Patrick but my company has finally got here. Happy Canada Day!


Hi Ragin'! Enjoyed talking to you yesterday and trust all will go well with your coming surgery. You will certainly have much on your plate for the next little,. Nevertheless, both Lady Dar and I hope your recovery is both speedy and full.
Lady Dar was up early to water the garden and now is finishing packing. She wants to leave for Kelowna around 9:40 am so I must away to have my bowl of yogurt with wonderful fresh cherries before we head out. Am still short of one player for tonight's bridge game so why don't you chopper in to join us? Fondestos from Lady Dar to you, Ragin'. All the best. Cheers from, GranFondo Cyclist/Il Conduttore/Patrizzio "Shelf Builder Extraordinaire!

Hello Salish Sea People and Lower Mainlanders! Had a very upsetting message from Peter Cook on Saturday, informing me of Ragin's fall, at home, in his kitchen, and subsequent hospitalization. I had a reasonably long chat, on the phone, yesterday, and Ragin' is to undergo surgery to release the pressure, from the bleeding, on his brain. He is in a wheelchair. I believe this is the case as he is too unsteady on his feet, not suffering from any paralysis, again, as far as I know. Understandably, he sounded so, so about the fall and aftermath. I don't know if his rather slow speech and responses were a result of the fall or perhaps any medication he might be taking. He's probably very tired and upset to boot. At any rate, his surgeon told him that, all going as expected, he would be able to travel, if accompanied, to both Portland, in August, I believe, and then to Croatia, in September, on trips already planned.

Given the state of his physical health/conditioning the last few times we visited, in Vancouver, and his last time here, [He couldn't even entertain biking.], I feel he has an unrealistic sense of his recovery, given the nature of this pretty serious injury. I hope, for his sake, that I'm wrong. I was "knocked out" after my two falls and hospitalization with pneumonia last summer and, relatively speaking, I was in far, far better shape than Branko. I didn't start riding again for over two months after being home.

When I talked to him about travel insurance he hadn't really thought about that aspect of his planned trips. I would imagine that if he is able to obtain coverage the cost will be high. When we travelled to Costa Rica in 2017 my typical, very reasonable coverage skyrocketed since I'd been hospitalized, within a year, having had my left hip replaced. And all went well, surgery, recovery, etc., as scheduled never mind what Branko is dealing with. How he is going to manage, living where he does, whenever he is discharged, is another matter, of course.

At any rate, these are just some of my concerned thoughts but I really just wanted to let you all know about what had happened to him, in case you didn't already know about his fall, subsequent hospitalization and coming surgery. If busy schedules allow, I'm sure he would enjoy a visit, a message, or a phone call. In closing, I told him that both Lady Dar and I hoped his recovery would be both speedy and full.

Lady Dar was up early to water the garden for the last time before leaving and then came inside to finishing packing. She wanted to leave for Kelowna around 9:40 am so I had my bowl of yogurt with wonderful fresh cherries before we headed out. Whizzed north on 97, traffic not overly thick and dropped her at the airport just after 11:00 am. Hug and a kiss and Arrivederci Roma! Would have stopped at Costco but closed for Canada Day so sped home.

Had to cancel tonight's regular bridge game as short one player. Most everyone in group is either travelling or has grandchildren to watch fireworks this evening. Plenty to read so will probably start John Boyne's The Heart's Invisible Furies, next book club selection. Will be hosted by Senka Tennant, owner/winemaker of Terravista Winery. Last time at her place as she and her husband Bob, recently sold the winery! Anyone interested in jet-setting in to join us? Stay well. Fondestos and Cheers, Tummler/Il Conduttore/Patrizzio! 


Thank you Tony . . / !
Great Hike. Great Canada Day. Ed




No comments:

Post a Comment