Wednesday 6 September 2017

Big City Boy Hits Small Town to Lead the Bridge Group Blues: Wednesday, September 6th!

The only Zen you find on the tops of mountains is the Zen you bring up there. -Robert M. Pirsig, author and philosopher (6 Sep 1928-2017)





Nice ride recount and pic's Patrice!..looks like you could lasso one of those clouds and take a ride. Still in the Valley for the first half of the day today to continue on the metal cladding of the skirting around the other cabin. Made very good progress last couple days on the part that was simply awful for access and had to be a contortionist to get in some spots and am feeling it this morning! The smoke was awful here yesterday as well and feeling a bit stuffed up so will hopefully able to get back to some cleaner air in the city as much of an oxymoron as that is. Back to town today to take care of home stuff and then back to the Valley on Friday to tackle the back upper balcony with Jerry my trusty framing friend. Take care and talk soon cheers, Al

Hello Sore Contortionist and His Swedish Masseuse!Let me congratulate you on your latest round of work but sorry to learn that smoke is affecting you so. Same here and Lady Decided not to join Flatlanders for their weekly walk this morning. As it has turned out, rest of gang decided not to walk either. Instead they will all meet for lunch! The Sisterhood!!! Going to be a busy next few weeks here, for us as well. Friends from Switzerland will be arriving next Tuesday for a number of nights. Given smoke cover, I think I'll head to the pool to do some deep-water walking instead of riding in the soup! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dear Thomas Chippendale! Let me congratulate and praise you on your latest creation! Very, very impressive and I think it will grace our Rumpus Room so please make room in your truck bed when you next visit The Okanagan. However, I am sorry to report that your dedication to refinishing has had a very negative effect on your latest missives and spelling mistakes therein: "Little Runnel Run" and "Septemver processing"!

These significant errors aside, September, [Please note correct spelling!], processing is, in fact, taking definite shape. Chloë just received a formal job contract and is to start work on October 2nd, here in Penticton, with Pacific Quorum, just a few blocks from us! Obviously, she will have to vacate loft before then. Additionally, possession date has been moved up from October 20th to the 6th. Only real significance, since she will have to be out earlier, as already mentioned, is that we will receive our money earlier. Always a good thing, of course, especially since down-payment on Sendero Canyon condo will not be due until April/May 2018!

Into this mix, we just received extremely sad, devastating news that Charlie Pitchford, [Champagne Charlie], is now in May's Place, hospice, coincidentally, which Michelle Sutherland manages. [His health started to deteriorate, significantly, about six months ago when they had to abandon a tour they were leading in Thailand and fly back to Vancouver.] He phoned yesterday, primarily to ask Corinne to marry their daughter Marnie. [I suspect, in large part, so that he can be part of the ceremony before he dies! Hard to write these words, let me tell you!] Obviously, under the circumstances, we would have done anything to make sure this could happen as requested and as it turns out it fits in with another wedding, already scheduled, in Kelowna, on Saturday, 23rd.

We will drive down to Vancouver on Sunday morning and Corinne will perform the wedding that afternoon. We really don't have any idea of Charlie's condition and our fervent hope is that he will still be alive by the 24th! Hardly bears thinking about but all one can do is trust that his will to live to see his daughter married will keep him going. He cannot walk but can move around quite well, he reported, cherrfully, in a wheelchair and he seemed very, very positive, given dire circumstances.

Seems callous, given what he and his family will be enduring, but we will then have to begin process of packing up Chloë's possessions. Not sure if this timing works for you to make a trip to our place or not. Please don't worry if it isn't as we will probably rent a small cube U-Haul truck to move larger items of furniture, etc. I drove one when we moved in 2015 and can manage again, if circumstances demand. If you and your trusty truck are available we will need to coordinate loading of same and renting a trailer, should that be necessary.

I would hope that the final loading would take place, on or by Wednesday, September 27th, to leave Vancouver, Thursday morning, with a stop in Chilliwack, if room available, for TV stand, [57" long, 20" wide, 37.5" high], to complete drive in daylight. Departure date could be pushed back a day or two, depending, again, on circumstances. However things play out I will most likely leave Lady Dar to help with final cleaning of condo to then drive up with Chloë or else take the MarriageMobile herself while I either make trip with you or in U-Haul.

Well, what do you think? Let me know when you've had a chance to digest above and we'll plan accordingly. Other than this, life goes on apace. Smoke here seems to be becoming increasingly heavier, in large part due to Finlay Creek wildfire near Peachland. Had a note from Big Al and he said he was suffering from the awful smoke in Sun Valley and was hoping to escape back to Vancouver for "clean" air! Ironically, I gather that will not be possible as I've heard city is also under a Smoke Advisory!

For my part, as you will discover, should you choose to read more, on Monday's hike we were fortunate to be virtually smoke-free. Went for a short, maintenance ride yesterday, late in the afternoon and I didn't feel any particular side effects. However, today, I think I'll head to the pool to do some deep-water walking instead of riding in the soup! Account of hike below, if interested. Cheers, Il Conduttore/Patrizzio, Allied Van Lines Man!


The old cabinet looks great !!!! The drawers never did work very well. It came from the Urban Barn, glad it found a good home ! So sad to hear about Charlie, what can one say at this time, you can Only give the family all your love & support, I sent him a card awhile ago I am so glad I did! Happy for Chloe!!!  Clara

Thanks for the invitation to Messenger but I only use my cell for emergencies, that is, when I run out of malt! Cheers! But how long do you spend typing the Penticton diaries? You could check Fb at the same time. Maybe you're not that interested in other people's stories? Cheers! X I'm always interested in other people's stories but prefer the greater depth that email messages allows me! Did you not recieve album with Lauren? By the way, your messages are becoming shorter and shorter, and far less frequent, in spite of repeated promises of "Will send more later", a far cry from the days of letters, before FB took away any responsibility for a particular message to a particular individual. Now, post to the world and blame those who don't see, or care to see, selfie, Duhlink! The Penticton Diaries do require time and effort, all self-assigned, I agree, not just the click of a Like button or a misspelled text incapable of but the most superficial by design, no less! I bemoan such technology, especially when it leads to such wide-spread addiction! Happy September!!! Lady Dar with Colleen and Al, latest visitors, last week, on a sunny day. Have been blanketed with heavy smoke from terrible wildfires raging across province, one as near as Peachland, about half an hour north of us, since then! Hello to Madcap. Cheers!

Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1962778483#.WbCEg3_1Lvw.email

Hi Patrizzio! Thank you for question. I am doing well. I have busy summer, still a lot of guiding in September. It is fun, I have met a lot of new interesting people from the different continents.

The weather in April is too cold and unpredictable here. I would suggest to do the trip in late May, June. I was thinking about a combination of the trips for you, after you wrote me your first idea. The best would be to combine Slovakia and Poland if you like to do more countries. The trips I have done were planned for aproximately two weeks each. If you are one group with the same interest, I can adjust and change itinerary for you. Let me know how much time would you like to spend by bicycling and sightseeing here.

Yes, it is possible to rent a car that somebody, who might not wish to ride, would drive. We can rent a common car from a car rental. It should be enough for all the luggage and let´s say two persons. These were, of course, only brief answers for your questions. If your friends like the idea, let me know and I can start planning the deeper details. Best regards, Katarina PS: I apologize if you don´t understand anything from the meaning point of view. Sometimes I write too long sentences that can be tricky for myself in English. In that case, please, only ask me again. (smile :-)


Hi Patrizzio! I received a message that my email answer was undelivered to Gill an Philip Robson. Please, forward it to them. They have probably special settings in their Outlook that blocks my email address. Thanks. Katarina

Hi Katarina! Thank you for your quick reply. Pleased all goes so well with you. What you have outlined should be enough for me take to those who might be interested in the trip(s) you have outlined. As far as the timing, (late May/June), goes, that period would work for me but, as you can appreciate, I'm sure, I'll need to poll others as to their feelings regarding their own travel schedules, duration of trips, itineraries, etc., before I can come up with a group willing to commit in order to enable you to proceed with more detailed plans. I will now send out another message to begin the initial process from this end.

As soon as I have a feeling for numbers and dates and itinerary breakdown, (cycling, hiking, [I know some in group would enjoy some of these outings, if possible), and sightseeing), I will be in touch. This may well take a few weeks as some of most interested people are traveling, at the moment, and I'm not sure about how much connectivity they might have. At any rate, thanks again. I certainly look forward to finally managing to taking one of your fabulous excursions! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Jack Rabbit and Phillipo! Trust all goes well. We are still blanketed with heavy smoke and it is starting to affect many we've talked to with sore chests and headaches being the least of the conditions brought on. Plan to go to the pool today for some deep-water walking as riding in this thick "soup" isn't a very good idea. Did go for a ride yesterday but smoke is worse today so will just have to find other outlets until we receive some relief. No rain forecast, even into October, so not sure what will happen! 

After Lady Dar let The Wildlings out at 5:30 am we were able to sleep-in until 7:30 am, with Miss Etta returning, at some point, to curl up at her mistress' feet. When I let her out the front door I could immediately smell the smoke and the sun was an angry orange-red disc in the morning sky. Of late, one feels as if one is walking underwater and the effect is quite disorienting, like being, one imagines, on Mars or in some spooky SciFi or post-nuclear holocaust film. And we are the lucky ones, not actually having suffered, directly, at least, the terrible losses and/or evacuations of so many people across the province.

As you will note, (below), I had a reply from Katarina after my initial inquiry so, over the next little while, I will be trying to gather information from those who are interested in cycling in Europe next year, on one or more of her guided tours. To this end please let me know if you are still interested and if so, what window of dates will work, how many trips and which countries. I know so much "depends" on this and that, (cost, number of people, particular interests, etc.), but, for initial planning purposes, just outline what you would, ideally like to do and we'll take things from there. To give you some idea of trips she has organized/led I have attached a number of files from past itineraries Katarina sent out. Don't have any information on Poland but trip to Slovakia was around €1190, with €250 extra for single occupancy; €1290 for Hungary, €300 extra for single occupancy. I assume prices might well be slightly higher for 2018 but don't really know.

Last night we had a wonderful table of bridge with Judy Blue, Olga Polga and Jim Henderson, close friend from Vancouver. He and his wife, Jocelyn, are house-sitting for our friends Lynne and Peter, in Naramata. Lady Dar and Jocelyn went to see The Glass Castle, based on the memoir by Jeannette Walls, as Jocelyn doesn't play. They reported film was terrific. We've read the book and I even met the author at a VWF reception, at the house of the US Consul in Vancouver, a number of years ago. Look forward to hearing from you after you have kicked things around and have a moment to send your thoughts on the matter. All the best. Travel safely. Fondestos from Lady Dar, just back from yoga. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Jocelyn and Jim before goils left for movie. Lady Dar is pointing to Miss Etta, hiding in bushes! Bridge pros and movie goers! Sun this morning! 

Would love to have your thoughts on Sam's film when you get a chance xx Hi Pénélope! Sorry it has taken me a bit to reply about Disturb Not Disturbed. On first viewing I was completely taken in by Kristina as the chillingly distant wife, capable of emotionless acts of casual, sadistic violence. Is she suffering from schizophrenia, I wondered? I was immediately reminded of Catherine Deneuve in an early scene at the hair/nail salon where she works, in Roman Polanski's 1965 film, Repulsion. The twist, towards the very end still had me believing that she screams upon finding Joseph, jolted out of her psychological daze at the sight of his body.

However, the wool begins to be pulled from our eyes and we slowly realize that if, indeed, he is dead, [To me, it is not entirely clear that this is so and I like this ambiguity.], it is not because she killed him, but rather that he finally succeeded, [The flashbacks lead us to understand this point.], in his suicide attempt, brought upon by some sort of complex post-partum depression/anger, not at the possibility of an abortion but, in fact, due to the birth of the child, presumably unwanted by him. Is it gum he chews/swallows or something more potent and sinister that causes his devolution into hallucination and unreality or was he already well on the way? 

From my point of view, I think it is a very, very potent, highly nuanced short film and I liked it very much, in spite of, or perhaps because of, its difficult topic. Sammy looks vaguely familiar and I'm wondering if I ever met him at your place. Is that possible? Could he have been a friend of Anna's? Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and Madcap. Cheers for now! Patrizzio!


Hi Brave Fartologists, Tony & I discussed tomorrow (September 7) and decided that it is not in our healthy interests to exert ourselves by climbing a mountain or doing anything else that will make us inhale what you see out there. When aliens visit earth 50 years from now and think they find everybody suffocated, we envision the OF's to still be alive and kicking out there somewhere because they were smart! Anyways, yes disappointing, but we feel it is the right thing to do. If for whatever reason the weather is suddenly clear tomorrow morning early, we will go up Keogan. So check your email tomorrow morning early (7'ish). If no Old and Farty emails are in your inbox, it means we are not going. Your caring Fartograms Tony & Aart Just to make sure everybody that is on the list actually get this and I do not get error messages back. Cheers, Aart I am on the list, and happy to be there!  hope to se you all soon, Hanneke Looks like I am NOT on the list... haha... :-))) V.

No comments:

Post a Comment