Thursday 7 September 2017

Time to Return to Deep-Water Walking Blues: Thursday, September 7th!

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it. -Edith Sitwell, poet (7 Sep 1887-1964) 


After Lady Dar let The Wildlings out at 5:30 am we were able to sleep-in until 7:30 am, with Miss Etta returning, at some point, to curl up at her mistress' feet. When I let her out the front door I could immediately smell the smoke and the sun was an angry orange-red disc in the morning sky. Of late, one feels as if one is walking underwater and the effect is quite disorienting, like being, one imagines, on Mars or in some spooky SciFi or post-nuclear holocaust film. And we are the lucky ones, not actually having suffered, directly, at least, the terrible losses and/or evacuations of so many people across the province. 

[Detoured by the beach on the way home - some smoke eh?]

Hi G. Little! Thanks for latest quotation for work at 611 Burns Street. Cost is fine. As we arranged, will plan on having installation done the week after Thanksgiving, October  10th-12th. I assume someone will call to confirm the week before. Thanks and Cheers, Patrick!

Patrizzio! Some time ago, I ran into a retired UBC (Arts) prof, Marvin Cohodas, while walking with Juno in the Endowment Lands. He also has a “rescue” dog. Dax, is a bit flighty, so is under somewhat strict parameters, but is totally in love with Juno. Juno is unfortunately a bad influence on him as she leads him off trail in search of squirrels that need to be treed, etc. We have been meeting regularly when Juno visits.
 

[That's Bowen Is. that you can hardly see …]
 
Also, note the smoke pics! Thanx Okanagan! We share your pain! This time, the sun was not even a bright spot in the sky. Branko

Hi all you bridgeplayers, Back into a smokey town again for a few days, and hate to say I have to miss again next week to visit with Arlo before the snow starts falling. Looking forward to some regular bridgenights after September 17th. Preferably on Tuesday nights đŸ˜„. Cheers to all. Jos

[Dax - nice poise]


Dear Relocation Consultant and Social Co-ordinater, Perhaps my dyslexia kicks in when I am tired from cabinetry, not to mention dehydrated (it’s been *hot* in the garage) and high from fumes - I used the “non-eco” version of stain, as the organic, biodegradable stuff just doesn’t cut it. In my defense, my errors are generally of the most common type - that is I hit the key next to the one I want, (ie, “R” instead of “T”, etc). Thus it is clear my intentions are impeccable. Non the less, the near fatal embarrassment caused by spelling errors in my emails, induced me to succumb to an exorcism ritual to oust the foul spirits causing this affliction. It was a rather macabre affair requiring cutting the head off a live rooster. I hope that “in exorcising my demons, I did not throw away the best part of myself" (Nietzsche) 



[Dax gets a treat for jumping onto a stump (or large rock)]

ANYWAY, the tail end of September / early October looks good for me. There is only one Whitecaps home game, and the only date I have on my calendar is October 8th, a “family” Thanksgiving dinner, which I sort of have to go to … but, pending Rob being available to hold the fort, and the outside chance my number comes up for my surgery, I need but to get the tongue & ball for my hitch and check the wiring. So keep me posted as the drama unwinds. Branko

Hello everyone, For coming Monday we are planning to do some Creative Wandering between the Skaha Bluffs. Idea is to just enjoy a hike without significant climbing to avoid panting too much smoke. If anyone has a particular trail in Skaha they like, let's do it, if not, there are a zillion other options. As usual we will gather at Home Hardware in Penticton at 8:00AM. Those coming from Summerland should come together at the IGA parking lot at 7:40AM then make their way to Penticton HH. Hope to see you there! Cheers, Your Uncle Tony and Grandpa Aart (both young at heart)


[Juno is a quick learner!]

John le CarrĂ©’s new novel, "A Legacy of Spies’", is a throwback, a coda to “The Spy Who Came in From the Cold” (1963), his best-known book. It rehashes decisions made in the coldest years of the Cold War. Among this book’s pleasures is a reminder that adults were once in charge of the destiny of the free world. This is le CarrĂ©’s 24th novel. He is 85. If his long-ago first book, “Call for the Dead” (1961), reads at times like juvenilia, our fear is that this one will be senilia, a book necessarily composed with an older man’s diminished mnemonic power.

The good news about “A Legacy of Spies” is that it delivers a writer in full. Le CarrĂ©’s prose remains brisk and lapidary. His wit is intact and rolls as if on casters. He is as profitably interested as ever in values, especially the places where loyalty, patriotism and affection rub together and fray. He wears his gravitas lightly. This button-down writer even indulges in a bit of showmanship. Le CarrĂ© hauls out his greatest creation, the Yoda-like spymaster George Smiley, for a cameo appearance, as if he were taking a ’60s-era Lamborghini long kept in the garage — Smiley’s last appearance was 27 years ago, in “The Secret Pilgrim” — for a jaunty Sunday spin.



Dax & Juno




Pat! Great to hear from you. Been a long road since 555 Portage Ave. Did you do library work at UBC? My memory thought so. And you the lad from Cypress. Retired now? Me for sure. Living the life in the Capital, Odawa to my friends here. Let's be friends on Fessebuk, Pat. Will try again when you get this. Take care, mon vieux!

No comments:

Post a Comment