Monday 11 September 2017

Little Nkwala Sings the Counter-Clockwise Blues: Monday, September 11th!

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty. -Jessica Mitford, author, journalist, and civil rights activist (11 Sep 1917-1996)




Poor Lady Dar had to disturb her beauty sleep at 5:30 am as Duke knocked my wristwatch off the bureau then, his way of trying to rouse his lazy servants! I managed to grab another hour's worth of snoozing before I was reminded that The Wildlings wanted breakfast. Lovely cool morning so things look pretty good for the coming hike, out of Summerland, with Tyrannosaurus Tinka! 

After Lady Dar laced up my hiking boots, I gave her a peck on the cheek and just after 8:30 am, I drove to Summerland, to meet with those who planned to hike with Terrible Tinka. When I arrived at the IGA parking lot nobody to be seen so I stayed in the car, listening to the on-going coverage of Irma's devastating swath of destruction across the Caribbean and into Florida. The Okanagan Princess was the first to pull up so we chatted for a few minutes before Our Fearless Leader arrived, with Jumpin' Jack Flash in tow. After a short debate in which Ever Amiable Al assured everyone we would have meaningful input, he made an executive decision, (as ever is the case, Dear Reader!), to hike "around Baby Jerry in CCW direction. Approx 3 hrs, easy." You heard it hear first, Folks, so please remember!!!

Like the sheep he has turned us into, we nodded our coerced agreement and then we all piled into The Marriage-Mobile to drive to the KVR trestle, just down the road from Summerland Sweets. With only five of us, it didn't take long for everyone to ready their gear and we headed off into The Great Unknown, (as we were to discover in a few short hours), happy as larks. Or even happier as the day was simply gorgeous, hardly a cloud in the smoke-free sky. While I had hiked the first stretch on one of last year's outings, I'd done so in the opposite direction so I quite enjoyed seeing the landscape from a different perspective, especially the tremendous views of Giant's Head.

Following the well established trail through the trees was certainly easy work and we drank in the stillness of the forest, broken only by the sad, sad song of a forlorn cicada, vibrating its drum-like tymbals in search of love. After about an hour's worth of this magic, in spite of the protective canopy it soon warmed up and those with outer garments, (worn initially as it was a lovely cool morning), shed them to prevent overheating. Continuing on, after Alluring Al's seductive pastoral strip-tease, our Gyrating Guide pointed out The Pebble. This was new territory for me so I was delighted to come to know the area and some of its impressive land-forms a bit better. And then, shortly thereafter, we came upon a most attractive rose-hip. Chewing one of the buds I found it slightly bitter, with many seeds, much like those one finds in a sweet pepper, but leaving one's mouth quite dry. Not at all unpleasant but quite an unlikely taste, to me at least.

Continuing to follow the now pine needle covered trail, we were treated to another massive boulder, much closer to the trail than The Pebble so standing almost next to it one had a better idea of just how large it was and how interesting was the cleft which almost bisects it. By this time The Little Dictator was hungry so he called for a brief halt in the forced march. While I was enjoying some of the fruit, (a pear, generously donated, last week, from Tinka's Organic Orchard, and a couple of plums from The Garden of Good and Evil in Naramata), I noticed what I thought, at first, was a large lopped-off tree branch, mid-way up the trunk of a pine across from where we were sitting. Had no idea what it could be as, upon closer inspection, I could see that whatever it was was sitting atop a small piece of plywood and the side I could spy from my vantage point had a piano hinge running across the plywood upright.

After he had finished his snack, All Knowing Al took a look and solved the mystery. Seen from the other side it was obvious that the structure was a bird-house. Who put it there or why remained unknown and Truthful Tinka admitted he'd never seen it before and he has hiked here many times. After this interesting discovery we resumed our trek and were rewarded by a number of lovely plants, a small but nonetheless gorgeous thistle, a delicate Oceanspray bush and the pièce de résistance, a dry, sand communal horse bath. By then the trail began dwindling and became more overgrown, still passable but with increasing difficulty as the small valley narrowed.

We soon found ourselves forced to make way over the rugged, sometimes unstable, jumble of large boulders and smaller fragments reaching up the cliff-sides on both faces of the ridges which hemmed us in. For my part, I quite enjoyed clambering over the uneven surface as I took things slowly and very carefully, making sure my footing was secure before I took the next step or hop. Unfortunately, this very pleasure was not shared by Gerd who had just returned from Europe, the day before, and was still feeling the effects of jet-lag, while Not So Jumpin' Jack Flash found the effort over-taxing, especially as the Forced March Maniac was ill-disposed to call rest breaks! The Plucky Okanagan Princess was also a tad unsettled by the rough, challenging topography, but she managed well, in spite of her trepidation.

By this time we were well into the fourth hour of what had been "sold" as a three hour junket, although The Duplicitous Dictator insisted, time and time again, that we were but ten minutes from reaching the end of the Nkwala Rock Fall when the going would become the walk in the park that this "easy" hike had started out as. Taking the Spin Doctor's words, albeit with a with a grain of salt, by now, we soldiered on, finally breaking free of the punishing rock strewn terrain onto the discernible trail through ever thinning brush and just passable thickets. At this point, Wrong Way Corrigan called a halt to send out an SOS! He finally had to admit that we were at least an hour and a half from where we had parked my car, closer, in fact, to West Bench than to Summerland Sweets!

Using the Okanagan Princess' cell, he placed a number of calls for assistance and finally found Vlad The Impaler at home, watching soccer. Without hesitation, he agreed to come to rescue us, following Turned-Around Tinka's instructions to the service road which we were still but "ten minutes" away from! During this brief respite, Nurse Sharon provided  Gashed Gerd with clean tissues to help mop up his right forearm, lacerated with a couple of nasty scrapes from the two falls he had suffered, earlier, on the rock obstacle course! While the others collected themselves, Al and I headed off to continue bush whacking as the growth was still quite thick and the trail alternated between an animal track and nothing at all, appearing and then disappearing. Nevertheless, it was far easier going than over the rough and tumble of the loose mass of the  talus quarry and once we reached the first well defined, continuous stretch, Al asked me to wait for the others as he wanted to hoof it to make sure that Vlad knew we were in the vicinity. 

Of course, I was more than happy to do so and, in fact, didn't really have to wait very long for them to reach the pleasant spot where I'd found a suitable stump to sit upon. A few minutes more and we emerged onto the service road on which we were to rendezvous with Vlad The Saviour, at some point, further east. When we left the trail itself, for the rough road, we turned right. Had we turned left, (I later confirmed.), we could have followed it up to the top of the ridge and from there back to my car. Probably another ninety minutes and had we not been out for over four hours already I was tempted to try it alone, especially since Vlad's emergency vehicle was going to be a tight squeeze with five passengers. While I had enjoyed the hike immensely and hadn't found the rock scrambling as taxing as the others, I was beginning to feel a tad weary so decided I'd wait for another day to solo.

Another few minutes and we spied Vlad's ambulance so we all piled into it, The German Patient in front, and The Okanagan Princess sprawled across the laps of the rest of us, her royal, willing litter! Ride back took us to the exit, off 97, to West Bench so if my car had not been parked at the KVR trestle, I'd have asked to be dropped off there to walk home! [Note to self: Give Argumentative Al a compass for Christmas!] Nonetheless, Sterling Vlad sped along and we were soon back at Summerland Sweets. I declined to join the gang at Jumpin' Jack's for Merlot and more as I didn't wish to be party to the torture planned for the Guilty Guide. When will he ever learn? More importantly, when will we ever learn? Long-Suffering Mary, any help or advice you can provide, gratefully accepted! Cheers! Map and Stats for hike:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1972324371#.WbcQAExo5aQ.email
 

Kathleen Gray All the elements of a great film - if only you'd been wearing your GoPro. Patrick James Dunn I was but am currently in negotiation with Netflix
Patrick James Dunn
so cannot release any footage until Ayn, with all her Hallmark experience, iacting on my behalf, (for an exorbitant fee, I might add!), allows me to do so. Must admit it is an unsettling experience to have the parent-child relationship reversed: "Now Dad, you listen to me!" The cycle of life comes full circle! Cheers!  
Hi all bridge friends, thanks Patrick for the invitation, and sorry to stay silent for a while. I was away camping, and right after that we were quite busy having visitors in our house. I am leaving again to go fishing, and when back we expect another friends coming next week, than again for hiking trip to Whistler. So it looks like I might be not available for a while, but keep me posted please, and with pleasure I will drop in for a game if free at the moment. Regards to all.

Hello Bridge Folk! Looks like it will only be one table, if at all, with so many people away. Lady Dar and I can play on Wednesday through Friday. I know Naramata Goil can play on Wednesday so that might be the evening to shoot for. Unless somebody wishes to host we are happy to do so, here at 611 Burns Street, any time after 6:30 pm. Let us know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. [Those who have already replied as to their "Away Status" need not reply. Thanks for doing so and happy travels!] Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrizzio, I am looking forward to playing on Wednesday at your place since my house is busy with company with Craig at the helm until I get back. Thank you for hosting again. Hugs, Olly Patrick, I am unable to make Bridge this week. I am getting together with a friend before she heads to AZ for the winter. Have fun�� Pam Hello The Sisterhood! Naramata Goil cannot play on Wednesday so it looks like just the four of us again. See you both at 6:30 pm tomorrow! Hip Hip Hooray! Cheers, Patrizzio! Ok sounds good I will be there Judy

Hi Bridge folks, Sooo sorry but I now need to be away until Thursday night. I'm willing to play Friday again so sorry. Hugs, Olly Hello The Bridge Sisterhood! Thanks for letting us know you cannot make tonight, Olga Polga. Both Lady Dar and I would like to play on Friday so if Judy Blue and Naramata Goil are interested and available that evening perhaps we can have a table then. Let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Lady Dar honed her bidding at Judy Blue's place yesterday, at a very convivial gathering, I'm told, so watch out if she is playing against you!!! Thanks Patrizzio, See you Friday. Hugs, Olly  

I am not able to play this Friday...but would be willing to host next week with the exception of Monday Judy Ps happy that lady fat enjoyed bridge at my place😎 Hi again, JB! Sorry you cannot play on Friday but thanks for offering to host next week. I'll mention that when I send out call for players. Yes, Lady "Fat" certainly enjoyed her afternoon with you and your friends but not sure how she feels about her new moniker! Cheers, Patrizzio! omigod that shud have read Lady dar...my eye sight is going,,, my apologies to corrine!!! Hi, once more, JB! Lady Dar just laughed so don't worry. However, it is "Corinne" not "corrine", so I guess you need to see your ophthalmologist! Cheers, Patrizzio! Patrick, Thank you very much for the invite. I am available to play tomorrow night . What time...6:30? Hi Hard to Get to Commit Goil! Fabulous that you can play. Yes, 6:30 pm/half an hour later in The Naramata! As well, are you and Wild Bill going to join us at Orofino? Hope so but let me know so we can work out details. Cheers, Patrizzio!



Thought of you: New Yorker 28 Aug 18! Hello Lower Mainland New Yorkers and Arbutus Corridor Bike Rider! Trust everyone is well! Thanks for wonderful cartoon, Paolo! Enjoyed a busy last week with visits from four former UBCites! Jocelyn and Jim were house-sitting for Lynne and Peter, latter in Italy, as you may know. Gisela and Lore were visiting friends in Oliver and popped up for a brief visit and java. Have attached a few snaps of both visits along with some from Jazz Festival, this past weekend! Thought of you as it is similar, if smaller, to Folk Fest but just as enjoyable and exciting. Had an absolutely wonderful time, seeing simply stunning, pyrotechnic performances.  Fondestos from Lady Dar to one and all. Cheers for now! Patrizzio! Pics: Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On with Dave Bennett and The Memphis Speed Kings! Wow! Wow! Wow! If you ever have a chance to see them, do so! 

Hello Naramata, Judy Blue and Soon-to-Be Sendero Canyon Woman! Orofino Winery, in Cawston, is having their Fall release pick-up party, on date above, Saturday, October 7th, Noon-3:00 pm, and as wine club members we can invite four others. It is a lovely affair and there is even gluten-free pizza crust for such sensitive things as Lady Dar, with tastings of many of their wines. In the past I have ridden there and was wondering if Wild Bill would be interested in doing the same. If everyone is interested we will need to take two cars. If William wants to ride, [We would need to leave our place three hours, or so, ahead of car pool.], we have a two-bike rack on our car so we can put our bikes on it for return to Penticton. At any rate, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Thanks for the invite 😊I wud love to join you. Let me know the time ..I am willing to drive if it is during the day. Judy Hi Judy Blue! Terrific that you will join us at Orofino. Thanks for the offer to drive but we will be taking The Marriage-Mobile as I'm hoping to ride to Cawston and need to put my bike on the car rack for return home. Party is from noon to 3:00 pm so I think Lady Dar and Chloë will pick you up around 11:30 am. Weather permitting, I'll leave home around 9:00 am so that I should arrive at approximately the same time as those driving. We will refine this closer to date. Have yet to hear from Pamela so not sure if she and Bill will be joining us. I'm hoping he will want to ride with me. Cheers, Patrizzio!   

Hi Zamir, I just wanted to check in with you as my place is now officially sold for and I bought a place in Penticton with financing needed by September 29th. What are next steps? Thank you, Chloe. I just wanted to add that Chloe will have a significant down payment. So the financing is for much less. Thanks
Corinne
 

Uhhhh, you are supposed to send me info on the new property as per my first email and discussion regarding the entire process so I can actually work on financing. You didn’t even tell me that you had purchased a property. I had no idea. Holy smokes, this is a MASSIVE stressful RUSH. Send me the following ASAP but I can only do what I can in the short amount of time. And lenders are suuper busy: - Contract of Purchase for New Property - MLS Listing - Property Disclosure Statement - Contract of Sale for Existing Property (I will ask Chris to send) - Subject Removal Verification on Existing Property (I will ask Chris to send) - Title Search (Chris will send) And for Corrine and Patrick, please send the following ASAP: - Copy of RRSP Portfolio for BOTH of you - 3 Months of Bank Statements to verify deposits from Pension, OAS, RRSP and CPP for BOTH of you - 2015/2016 CPP T4A’s for BOTH of you - 2015/2016 OAS T4A’s for Both of you - Letter from Organization providing the Pension and Pay Stub to show deposits are being made on an ongoing basis Send in ASAP so I can get working on your approval. This is a massive rush and I can only do what I can do.

Patrick and I will send you the further documents you need. But it would have been more efficient if we had sent them with the others we UPS. Corinne Hey Guys Okay, cool. Just spoke with Chloe and end of September is simply the subject removal date so this will give me enough time to work out your financing condition. I thought you had to close by then. So still send me ALL the supporting docs so I can get rolling. Thankfully with time and not on a massive rush. Nice feeling. Just wiped a wee sweat off my brow. Have a good evening. zamir I have sent you our original documents by UPS. Should arrive tomorrow morning. Corinne Perfecto. Have a good night, zamir

 

No comments:

Post a Comment