Thursday 14 September 2017

Lieutenant Governor SIngs The Upper Bench 2015 Chardonnay Blues: Thursday, September 14th!

Many a secret that cannot be pried out by curiosity can be drawn out by indifference. -Sydney J. Harris, journalist (14 Sep 1917-1986) 




Each morning now breaks with a definite hint of coolness as we move into Fall. However, the drop in temperature doesn't seem to have thrown any cold water on El Diablo as he is still a Whirling Dervish, bounding around the house like a ping pong ball shot out of a howitzer!

Canadian wine conglomerate Andrew Peller is making a big splash in The Okanagan Valley with the announcement that he is purchasing Three winners in the region. His company already owns Calona Vineyards, Sandhill,Wayne Gretzky Estates and Red Rooster in the Okanagan, is acquiring Tinhorn Creek Vineyards and Black Hills Estate Winery, near Oliver, and Gray Monk Estates Winery, north of Kelowna, purchase price of 95 million. Deal to close end of October. Did you know this? How are moving plans going? Clara Dad, Robbie is coming up for thanksgiving, can he come? If not I'll bow out so he's not alone.


Dear Survivors, et al! Sorry that it has taken me so long to send along these snapolas and account of The Nkwala Nightmare but I've just been released from PGH where I've spent the last few days recovering from PTSD as a direct result of last Monday's hike. I trust my fellow hikers were not so afflicted with horrific nightmares, endless, uncontrollable gibbering and numerous devolutions into catatonia and catalepsy. Otherwise, I'm feeling fine, or at least Lady Dar says my behaviour seems par for the course! How fortunate I am to have such a loving spouse. At any rate, what follows is what I remember of The Hike From Hell! I wrote it after my therapist suggested that putting it down on paper would aid my recovery, as well as serving as a warning for others! Cheers, (I think!), Patrizzio! Journey Into The Vale of Tears, Monday, September, 11th!  "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate"

As members of the Wine Club at Upper Bench we had been invited to a reception for the Lt. Governor at 10:45 am this morning, at the winery. Winery had been awarded the Lt. Governor's Award for Excellence for their 2015 Chardonnay. Unfortunately, Lady Dar had a dental appointment so she was unable to attend. Forlorn, I went along without her and enjoyed the most agreeable gathering. The 29th Lieutenant Governor, Judith Guichon, was travelling with a busload of Consuls General from Vancouver and I had the opportunity to chat with the ones from Norway and El Salvador. Brief, but lovely award ceremony, after which we enjoyed a number of glasses of the award-winning Chardonnay and plates of Shana's delcious cheeses, charcuterie and Chris' freshly baked focaccia done to perfection in the new pizza oven. Even picked up the latest Curds and Corks, (cheese and wine), release so quite a morning. 

After congratulating and thanking everyone at the winery, I headed home to spend more time at the keyboard. Need to do this whenever the opportunity presents itself as without her own computer, I now have to share mine with Lady Dar and this makes messaging/blog life infinitely more difficult and ever so complicated, Dear Reader, as I'm sure you can imagine! At any rate I was able to beaver away for a couple of hours before I got the heave-ho. Once set adrift, I suited up and hit the road around 4:00 pm. Wind was blowing just as strongly, or slightly more, N 27 kph, according to Penticton Airport, as the day before but not gusting quite so fiercely, but 37 kph! Weasel that I am, I once again opted for the Gerbil Approach but shifted the loops away from Riverside to the KVR.

Hence, after a quick loop to Riverside I began the Gravol Trail out of PTC up Ellis to the KVR. Did this three times, with extended dipsy-doodles on the surrounding streets, before I had the distance I wanted. Not altogether unhappy with end result even though AVG was a little less than 1 kph slower than day before. Had many more uphill grades to contend with than on yesterday's ride and even with the benefit of some downhill swooshing it was almost always into the head wind so I wasn't able to gain what I'd lost. Even the UB 2015 Chardonnay wasn't enough jet fuel! Cheers! Map and Stats for ride: 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1978076101#.WbtGbQFYWP8.email

Orofino Pizza Pick-up Party, Saturday, October 7th! Dad, robbie is coming up for thanksgiving, can he come? If not I'll bow out so he's not alone. Dad, What wineries are open a Tuesday Wednesday Thursday in the first two weeks of October Patrick, See you at 6:30 tomorrow. Thank you for the invitation to join you and Corinne at Orofino. We would love to join you. I will check my work schedule for Oct 7 tomorrow when I work. Bill will ride with you weather permitting but he wants to watch the Argos game which is early that afternoon. We can chat more re Oct 7 tomorrow night. Pam


Hello Patrick thanks for the photos, nice ones of Jim and Joclyn If was lovely seeing you ,we had a save trip back to Vancouver on Monday I always enjoy the Okanagan, for me it is magical and the high desert has  a lot of energy, i always feel very good. We came home with a lot of fruit, Barbara has friends with Orchards a lot was given to us. The car was loaded. keep well Pratizzio all the best. Love Gisela
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment