Friday 22 December 2017

Chloë Alexis and Her Dad Sing the Borscht Pergogie Blues: Friday, December 22nd!

When all's said and done, all roads lead to the same end. So it's not so much which road you take, as how you take it. -Charles de Lint, writer (b. 22 Dec 1951)

 
 

Hi Pat, Ray phoned and told me the sad news about Ted and the terrible prognosis from his illness. I know that you are a very good friend of Teds and must be be very saddened by the news. Please keep in touch Mick Ray told us about Ted and we find it so hard to believe. Not sure about contacting them but pat had said you played bridge with Ted. Is this something he would like to do? Or do they want to be left alone? I hear you are going down to L. A. Hope you have a good time. Safe journeys, Pauline 

Hi Polly and Mick! Trust you and all your family are well. Glad Raymond phoned. Sorry I wasn't in touch directly but it was a whirlwind visit as I'm sure you can appreciate. Fortunately, for us, the Hope-Princeton was even better than when we drove down on Wednesday. Compact snow 40 km before Princeton and then most of Manning was same. On return only Manning had compact snow and the rest of route was dry and completely clear so we were home before 3:00 pm, having left at 9:00 am and stopping at Costco, in Abbotsford, for gas, $1.17/l, and a few groceries/staples. 

 We played quite a few hands of bridge, this past Wednesday. Branko wanted to come with us so we collected him after we arrived in city. He and Ted were partners for first round but all the cards belonged to Lady Dar and I. After four hands I suggested we switch to give everyone a chance to play with Ted but he insisted he and Branko just needed to warm-up. They did manage a few contracts but cards were still with us by the time we finished. Sad to report, by the end of play he was becoming a bit confused but that is the very nature of the disease and the fact that he tires easily. Still, I know that he would welcome the chance to play with you two, [Branko is also available in case Elaine would rather not play. She didn't when we we there as I think she is simply so exhausted from on-going ordeal that she can barely think.], probably after Christmas as all their children and grandchildren will be with them. I'm sure you will be very busy as well.

You can reach Elaine at home If you have a chance, even a short visit, tomorrow, would be welcomed, I'm sure. Must away as Chloë and I are in the midst of making both borscht and perogies for Christmas dinner! She is off until next Wednesday, [Work with Pacific Quorum is going very well even if there is plenty to learn.], so she is ready to enjoy lead-up to Christmas. Beets are ready to peel and then we must tackle the perogie dough! I hope to be in touch before we head south, day after Boxing Day, but if Life intercedes, Happy Christmas to you both, from all of us here at Burns Street, and a Healthy New Year to one and all. Fondestos from Lady Dar, out buying fish for Christmas Eve, and Chloë, covered in flour! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Bridge with Ted. Riley is Laura's firstborn. Youngest daughter, she is pregnant and due at the end of January; Flamin'; Burns Street Elf! Beautiful pictures Poppa I love that Ted wants to have a partyand I will be thinking of the Keatings this Christmas xoxo
Please bring perogies in the electric cooler!

Hi Flamin' and Sarge, et al! Trust everyone is well. [Thanks for lovely stay, Flamin'. Wine was fabulous and salvaged vegetables much appreciated! Thanks for terrific visit, Bill/Denise! Delish, more than quaffable wine and nibblage] Happy Christmas to everyone, from all of us here at Burns Street, and a Healthy New Year to one and all. Pic: Burns Street Elf responsible for putting lumps of coal in naughty childrens' stockings so watch out Jaxon and Avery!                              Hi Patrick and Lady Dar! Thanks for your messages and pictures. I guess you are somewhere much warmer than we - it’s looking like white Christmas. Two years in a row. I’m not complaining though: the skiing is fabulous and I have been 10 times already. Skiing helps with yeasty blob that I developed on my middle from all the food I was eating in Finland.

 

[Chloe Alexis Dunn Fresh snow and tiny paw 🐾 prints......]


Yes, one of the highlights of my fall was 6 weeks in Finland and a week in Brussels (I have a niece there). I did all the fall things in Finland: hiked in Lapland for 2 weeks in the fall colors, picked berries and mushrooms, went moose hunting. See the kill picture below with the dead moose and the dog. No, I didn’t shoot but I was present. The parties were the best: we had some hunting guests from Austria who own a vineyard and brought cases of wine (one we tasted was called Elchblut (Mooseblood) 2014 - made in honour of their previous hunting trip). There will also be Elchblut 2017 some years hence.
It was good to spend quality time with my siblings and see everybody of my large family.
 

And not to rush. Time (not working) and senior discounts are the only good things about getting older. The rest kind of sucks. Every morning there seems to be a new wrinkle on my face, a new tuft of grey hair (I guess one should be grateful for having hair). However, I am grateful for many things in life: my health, my family, and above all my friends. On that lofty note, I wish you a very happy Christmas and a healthy new year! Liisa Hi Moose Woman! Trust you are all well! Thanks for Christmas and New Year's wishes. Really enjoyed hearing about Finland. Fondestos from Lady Dar. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
[Dermot Shirley Vandusen last night. Making wishes.]
Hi Monsoon People! Trust you are both well, along with Jake! Fondestos from Lady Dar, to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Sleigh Bells!!! Hikers do not need because they have no runners. Well Peter J Benson Runs, so do beautiful women after A Tinka OK .. I am wrong again.. and I change my seasonal observation. Runners Run, are you listening On the ground snow is Chrystaliing Empty bottles tonight Hikers are tight, Party in the Winter Wonderland. Burma Shave de Mexico DBJS                  
Hello Corinne and Pat, Hard to believe that 2017 has disappeared so fast – seems like only yesterday we were polishing off a few bottles of wine in Snow Creek! In some ways Tina and I will be glad to see the back of 2017. As you know Tina’s Mum died in February after a prolonged and painful illness; then in March just before my 70th birthday my dear old Dad finally succumbed to that dreadful disease of Alzheimer’s. He had battled gamely for several years but the final few were just awful for him (and the rest of us it must be said) so it was quite a relief when he died. I was with him up until about an hour before he died; I decided to go home for a bit of respite and come back later in the evening to sit with him. No sooner in the door than the nursing home nurse rang to say that he had died just after I left. Maybe he knew I had gone and decided to pull the plug then and there; something I will never know but I was quite upset that he died alone.

We hoped that the year would get better after these two setbacks; however it wasn’t finished with us as in May Anne’s Dad, who was also suffering with dementia, died quite suddenly. Then in late July my Mum, a fiercely independent elderly lady living alone at home, had a nasty fall and broke her arm just below the shoulder. Long story short – she has had to go into a nursing home, eerily the same one Dad was in and even more eerily his room! She hates it and appears to have given up the ghost; I really don’t expect her to see out 2018.

Just reading back through what I have written and it all seems to be doom and gloom; however there have been some good sides to 2017! We had a great 2 months in Ireland and Norway in September and October. Loved the Irish people and would go back to Norway in a heartbeat! The other good news is that Kirsty and Chris have sold their business and have moved back to Adelaide – to say I am over the moon would be a gross understatement. Mark has resigned from teaching and has started his own building company – fingers crossed it all goes ok.

Today is our 50th wedding anniversary so we are just waiting on the family plus some close friends to arrive so that we can celebrate the achievement. Tina will be really upset that Isobel, her Mum, won’t be here to celebrate with us. We will be in Sun Peaks in Jan/Feb but I see from your blog that you will be in warmer climes so won’t get to see you in 2018 – maybe 2019? Have a lovely Christmas and a safe on healthy New Year. Love and best wishes to all Tina and Trevor Patrizzio, Thanx for the update & info. Good to hear your voyage back to Burns Street was without the dreaded “alternating one lane” traffic. I do plan to drop in on Ted tomorrow, … and of course consume more of those fabulous Xmas pastries! On a completely different note, I recently stumbled onto this web page, which is a list of names for groups of animals. Really interesting. For example, my favs, “a murder of crows”, “a parliament of owls”, … Note that wolves are a “pack”, whereas coyotes are a “band”. http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Pointless/AnimalGroups.html 

Juno particularly liked the phrase “a nuisance of cats”! happy holidays//bjp Branko!Hi Ragin'! Trust you and Juno are both well. Etta and Duke particularly liked the phrase, "a Cowardice of Curs!" On another matter, I have been in touch with Sarge and he bought us weekend passes for the '7's, in March. I am probably not going to go on Saturday am would be delighted to give you my ticket for that day, should you be interested in attending? Let me know and I'll ask someone else if you are not keen. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you Ragin'. Cheers, Patrizzio/Il Conduttore!

Finally mother daughter reunited! Hi Steel Magnolia! Trust you and Frank and family are all well! Hope your hip is coming along nicely. Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment