Sunday 17 December 2017

More Snow Which Seems to be Sticking on the Sidewalk Blues: Sunday, December 17th!

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, “It might have been.” -John Greenleaf Whittier, poet (17 Dec 1807-1892)


Hello The Sisterhood! You will be pleased to learn, Rosita, that I just made your famous, fabulous turnip puff. It's ready to go in the oven whenever Lady Dar gives the signal. We are having Judy Blue and Cousina Michelle Dunn over for dinner. Chloë isn't back from Vancouver yet so I hope highways are not too, too bad. Started to snow last night. Was fine when she left on Saturday morning.


Also wanted to thank you, Clarisse, for the fabulous shortbread cookies. Unfortunately, everyone else thinks they are for everybody! As well, thank you for the more than generous Christmas money. I'm told I'm not allowed to spend it on malt! Must away as I am under strict orders to shower and change before guests arrive! For her part, Lady Dar is watching Hallmark Christmas movies with Duke on her lap. Funnily enough, she called me from my scullion duties, peeling carrots, to see  scene with Joanne Trueman's son-in-law, Dave, in it. [He sold our place in Harbour Terrace as his day-time job is as a real estate agent!] Thanks for employing destitute Canadians, Ayn! Fondestos and Cheers to one and all, Patrizzio!

Pat, thanks for letting us know about Ted.  Please give him our best wishes when you see him. There are no adequate words to convey our empathy and support for Ted and his family. Be well. We hope to see you both sometime soon. All the best of the season to you and yours, W&CJ Hi Giggster! Will pass along your thoughts this coming Wednesday. However, just received the following message, just in case you happen to be in Vancouver then. We'd love to visit but I'm 'afeared it won't be until the summer. Happy Christmas and a Healthy New Year to you and Calamity, Giggenheimer. Cheers, Patrizzio!

To family and friends, Ted wants to party, so we're hosting a celebration on Saturday December 23rd from 3 to 6pm. Where: The Keating Family home, 2295 Bayswater Street, Vancouver, BC, Date and Time: 3 to 6pm, December 23rd, 2017  We will have some food, but, If you can, please bring a vegetable or salad dish, or drink to share. We'll have some short speeches and stories from 4:30 to 5pm and you are welcome to share a happy story if you want to (and let's keep them brief... there'll be a lot of eating and drinking to do too!!) For those who are out of town or can't make the trip over, please let us know and we will do our best to provide a video feed of the event so that you can participate. Please RSVP to Kristina. Love to you all, The Keating family, Elaine, Kristina, Stephanie, and Laura 
Patrizzio, Glad to hear you are coming into town to visit Ted. How long are you planning to stay? I would like to join you when you visit Ted, as I have known him for a long time. I have not seen much of him for some time now (other than the odd bridge night), but we played on the same Monday night league squash team for some years (long time ago, it seems). If you are staying @the Sarge Hotel, I could pick you up, or as you are driving in (ie, have transport!) you could pick me up.

I spent some time time researching Ted’s diagnosed disease, and wow, it is indeed rare and bizarre. Makes my issues with a sciatic nerve problem and a bad liver seem trivial. All I have to do is go easy on the hooch and fat, and use trekking poles.
 
Anyway, as you said, sorry to be callous, but if we could stitch together a bridge game, that would be great. What night could that be? As per our last conversation, I kind of assumed that Ted and Elaine probably did not have apples foremost on their minds, so I distributed them to to the Shnoz, my mechanic, and the Penguin. I mentioned your visit to Janet and she could be available for bridge.
Well, the local news is grim. Got up at 7:30 today, in the dark, and it is still gloomy and dark - like, I am just waiting for bedtime! Rain, in the form of showers, drizzle, or all those terms CBC uses, are the order fo the day. The good news is, the days will soon start getting longer! Hmmm … I will have to explore the possibility hibernation. See you soon I hope, drive carefully, and use the more fuel efficient 97c route to the big city! Btw, Chloe dropped by yesterday, dropped off your computer and took the empty growlers - looking forward to refills next visit! Branko
Hi Ragin'! We will only be staying for one night as we have scads to do before Christmas as well as readying ourselves for extended trip to LA, Costa Rica, Desert Springs, Sun City and Sedona. Thanks for distributing apples but I think you could have filled growlers with cider! My fault for not bringing computer to truck when you left so thanks for accepting it from FedEx! We won't be taking Connector as Chloë said the gravel was simply terrible. She sustained a huge chip and will probably need to have the windshield replaced. No guarantees on Hope-Princeton either but probably not as much snow due to lower elevation. She confirmed your comments about the weather, leaving Vancouver!

We can swing by to collect you before heading over to see Ted. Will phone once we are in town. Hope to be in Vancouver around 3:00 pm, perhaps sooner depending on driving conditions. Don't imagine we will spend more than an hour at Keatings, if that. Simply have to play it by ear and see how Ted and family are faring. This being the case, callous lout that I am, I would like to play some bridge. We will be staying at Harbour Terrace but Sarge won't be there as he is off to Kamloops for Christmas. Flamin' will be home, [Due to work, she's going later.], so I'm sure Lady Dar wants to visit with her. If you could contact The Penguin and Fast Eddy, or The Carters, for a game around 7:00 pm that would probably work for me. I'll let you determine venue as not sure about what is going on at Harbour Terrace on Wednesday evening. Let me know what you can stitch together and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Judy Blue and Cousina Michelle were over for dinner this evening. We played a few deals of poker as Michelle doesn't play bridge!
 
Hi Patrick, Nice pictures, nice party. Thanks again. We’ll see you Xmas Eve. I’m driving to The Coast tomorrow for a meeting Tuesday then over to the Island to visit brother Bill. A few pictures from Italy Cheers, Peter. Hi Jugos!

Thanks for fab snaps of Italy! We are heading into Vancouver ourselves, on Wednesday. Sadly, our trip is not a happy one as we are to see close friend Ted Keating, just diagnosed with sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease. This being the case we felt we had better go this week as the possibility of seeing him alive, when back at the end of February seems highly unlikely. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Patrick, CJD sounds like a bad one for your friend.  It’s a good thing you’re visiting now, because from what I read he’s going to deteriorate pretty quickly, and not much to be optimistic about.  Tough luck. Cheers, Peter

Very sad news Patrick. I don’t really know Ted but he is a neighbour and of course I’ll go over and visit him if it is desired. Can’t put you and Corrine up as Jennifer arrives from her home in London for a Xmas visit the day before. If you think I should go over on my own please send his phone number and address so I can contact Elaine. If you and Corrine want to come over for a little Xmas cheer we’d love to see you. Hope you two are well. We are. cheers, Bill. 
Hi Bill! Given your kind invitation, we thought we might pop in after seeing Ted to say hello and have a bit of a visit. If you could send along your phone number, we'll give you a call once in town and have a better idea of timing, etc. Pleased all goes well with you both. Same here but loads to tell so will save news until we see you. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Your Christmas 2017 letter: What a great Christmas letter and pictures. You folks are so fortunate to do what you do......and the travel....sounds so perfect. We are certain you both will have a great time. We loved the Flickr......pic's and all the friends. We leave here end of Dec, check in on l Jan.....have to check out Mar 31st.....so have a three-month stay.....then home to relax.....ha. Please keep in touch, we love your news and happenings......A VERY MERRY XMAS AND A TRULY HAPPY NEW YEAR......Love, Arv & Sandee

Hi Osoyoos Octogenarians! Enjoyed your Christmas letter and thanks for seasons wishes. We'll send updates from Costa Rica and Arizona, just to make you jealous! All the best to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Sandee, we look forward to seeing you in March. Mom may be out here for a few weeks then. We have also bought a quarter share in 120 at Spirit Ridge and are looking forward to using it. Have a great holiday season. Best Corinne
  
Wow Patrick. You are sure a busy duo! I am free so far this week. Would love to play if it happens. Hope Corrine enjoyed herself on Thursday. Let me know. Thank you Patrick B Hi Middle Bench Bidder! I think Lady Dar had a wonderful time on Thursday. I'm jealous!!! I'll send out a call for bridge when I have a better idea of how our lives are shaping up. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Merry Christmas, Old Farts and Fartesses (is it still ok to use such a term?): My apologies for not being at the picnic last week.  If you can believe it, I fell down some stairs.  I have a tear in my calf muscle which will just take its own sweet time to heal.  I had trouble taking a few simple steps around home, let alone hike along the KVR.  I really missed you! At present, I have no plans for any hikes or snowshoes.  I will have a gimpy leg and plenty of company over the coming couple of weeks.  If my family wishes to snowshoe and if I am capable, I may get out sometime.  Perhaps I’ll see you in the glorious white stuff. My good wishes for a wonderful holiday season, whatever you may be planning.  And I look forward to being back in harness early in 2018.  You’ll be hearing from me again soon. Cheers, Jim 

Hi Chester! Terribly sorry to hear about your gimpy leg. Just glad it wasn't worse than a tear in your calf muscle. Could have been your elbow and then you wouldn't have been able to enjoy any Christmas Cheer! Cheers, Patrizzio! Always lookin’ on the bright side, eh? Cheers, Jim Yup and Yessiree, Marshall Dillon!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment