Wednesday 13 December 2017

Feline Paw Prints on the Snow-Covered Sidewalk Blues: Wednesday, December 13th!

Whenever books are burned men also in the end are burned. -Heinrich Heine, poet, journalist, and essayist (13 Dec 1797-1856)


Up at 7:30 am when Bureau Climber Duke "Base Camp Everest" was trying to coax us out of bed with repeated mermls, [His feline speak, a sound somewhere between a meow and a soft, guttural growl.], from his perch, atop Lady Dar's large dresser. Quite surprised to find a light dusting of snow had blanketed us since I let him out at 5:45 am. His paw prints,  a dotted track showing his early morning explorations, clearly visible, criss-crossing the front yard. Amanda was out clearing the sidewalk so I opened the front door and thanked her. Not sure if snow will last as it is beginning to melt, at least on parts of the street and sidewalks. Glad I had decided to go cycling yesterday!


Had put a large log on fire last night, just before retiring, and there were still quite a few glowing embers in the grate this morning. After I cleaned the glass platen it didn't take much to start a fire so living room was nice and toasty once Lady Dar decided to grace us with her presence! Had a number of chores around the house I wanted to address so had plenty to keep me busy until Chloë and I attended a One Man Pride & Prejudice show, by Charles Ross, at the Cleland Theatre this evening. It was simply side-splittingly funny and what added to everyone's enjoyment was that Charles came back to the stage and answered question for about half an hour. Lady Dar had her book club tonight so she couldn't join us. Tomorrow the three of us have tickets, (Courtesy of Chloë Alexis, of all things!), for Star Wars: The Last Jedi and then a good friend's, Mary Lee's, Open House on Friday. If it's Tuesday, it must be Netflix! Must away, Dear Reader, as Lady Dar has informed me that the fire needs another log!  

Dear Chloe: it was good to meet you and your dad this evening. Let's keep in touch and get together after the holidays. All good wishes for the season and the New Year, Peter and Dorthea
Hello Peter and Dorthea, It was lovely to meet you both and what a great way to meet and a brilliant performance! I have included my dad on this reply as he will be glad to have your contact info. A happy holiday to you both, and a safe drive to Kamloops. Happy New Year. Chloe

Hi Dorothea and Peter! Trust you are well. Let me echo Chloë's words when she mentioned how terrific it was to meet you both. Unfortunately, we, [Corinne and I, that is.], won't be able to see you until early March. Until next our paths cross, take care of each other. A Healthy New Year to you both! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: From our Open House on December 9th! You must come next year!
  Hi Pat; I am a little worried since I sent you an email and you didn't get back to me. How are you? Send a quick email to let me know you are fine. What is your phone number and address? I hope you are well and enjoying the season. Love Rhoda Hello Worried Cape Bretonoid! Thank you, so very much, for your touching concern! I am most appreciative of the fact that you are part of The Anti-Patrizzio Polizei! When did Lady Dar recruit you? Funnily enough, I was trying to emulate The Ski Approach to email silence, if you don't mind me saying, Madam Mac! I cannot even begin to count the number of times I've sent emails to you and they seem to have simply disappeared into the ether! 

At any rate, I do apologize for not replying within the nanosecond of receiving your earlier missive. No excuses but plenty of reasons. Primarily having to do with the fact that we celebrated my 70th, [Thanks very much for the birthday greetings, by the way!], three days before our Open House and Ragin' Bull arrived the day after my birthday, so loads of things to do. Had a great time while he was here, [He drove up last year, for same event, as well.], and Open House was quite a success, by all accounts. Ragin' Bull, aka Branko, left Monday morning so we are sorting ourselves out, post-Open House and post-visitor. Place is in pretty good shape, overall, so cannot complain. So other than the fact that Lady Dar is overjoyed that I am now 70, as she was as of July 19th, I couldn't be better! Especially so since I had my second appointment with my orthopaedic surgeon, Monday afternoon, day and now have a date for a right shoulder replacement on Thursday, July 26th! Apparently, my arm will be in a sling for six weeks so will need to work on drinking with my left hand from now until then!

If, and only if, you did read my last missive, in it's entirety, you will recall that Chloë moved here at the end of September. She is now working for Pacific Quorum, a property management company, as a strata manager. She will live with us until April/May when the town-house she is buying, (We have provided a pretty hefty downpayment, as you can well imagine, having sold the Loft in East Van!), should be ready. Re-nested, yet again. Nevertheless, it is fun. Since we now have a built-in feline sitter, we will spend Christmas with her and then drive to Tinsel Town, leaving on December 27th, to spend New Year's with Ayn and Los Horridos. Alejandro is currently enrolled in the LA Fire Department Academy and is to graduate on January 6th. Of course, as proud grandparents, we would like to attend his graduation ceremony. 

Next day we fly to Costa Rica until February 4th. [Lady Dar has made all the in-country travel arrangements, (hotels and shuttle buses between various cities/regions.), and we are just back from an appointment with a travel clinic for updates of prophylactic medication we needed.] Once back we plan to drive east, perhaps as far as San Antonio, [You might remember that we flew to St Martin from Dallas when we visited you. Ruth is now back in San Antonio. Had wondered about devastation on island and I gather, from your message, that university was greatly affected. Knew damage, overall, was terrible and extensive, from news reports we watched.], stopping along the way in Palm Desert, Sun City and Sedona, to visit/stay with other friends! Lady Dar has an important church finance meeting, (She is Treasurer!), on March 4th so we plan to be back a few days before then. Consequently, we'd love you to visit in March if your schedule allows! Let us know and we'll plan accordingly.

Well, Ski, must away as the fire needs another log and I need to make a call to a friend in Vancouver before it is too, too late. As well,
tomorrow is the Christmas Hike for the hiking group and I plan to join the gang. Not a long hike as we set up for a pot-luck around a fire, after an hour or so. Fondestos from Lady Dar, in absentia, as she is still not home from book club, and Chloë, playing with Duke in her room! Let us know about the possibility of a visit as I'd love to show you some of my favourite routes, KVR for sure! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Window Wars, Etta on inside, Duke on outside! Mantle with snow globe; We cut our own tree at a small Christmas tree farm, just off the KVR, two Sundays ago.


Hi Sun City Folk! Trust you are both well. Once back from Costa Rica we would stop if you are around and might entertain a visit, as we'd love to see you. Let us know what you think and we'll plan accordingly.Well, Sun Belt Folk, all the best from Lady Dar and Chloë. Cheers to you both Louise and Henryk. Cheers, Patrizzio!Hi Sedona Folk! Trust you are both well. If you are around in early February and might entertain a visit, we love to see you in Sedona. Let us know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers to you both. All the best, Patrizzio!
Hi Wild, Wild Bill! Thank you, so very much, for calling, in spite of the tough news you had to relate. Know, as I mentioned when we chatted, that we here are all pulling for you. Onward!! Fight!!! Well, East Coast Lad, must away. Fondestos from Lady Dar and Chloë. Cheers to you, dear, dear friend and take care of yourself, as best you can. Until we next chat, all the best, Patrizzio!
Hi Lurch and Grogg! Thank you, so very much, for the birthday greetings! Fondestos from Lady Dar, reading in bed, and Chloë, in her room! If you do have an email address for Ted I'd appreciate you letting me know as I'd like to send him the snaps I took at the VWF. Travel safely and enjoy all your Christmas Markets! Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Had a long chat with Bill Dempster on Sunday. We correspond reasonably regularly. He called so I knew something was up. Turns out he has lung cancer. I assume things are not good but he mentioned the is still waiting for more test results.

Hello Tinsel Town and Los Horridos! Thank you, all, so very, very much, for the lovely birthday greetings and the fabulous Basil Hayden's Bourbon! Well, Kids, must away. Fondestosmuch love and thanks. Take care of each other until we see you all. Until next we chat, all the best and Cheers, Bourbon Swillin' Poppa Patrizzio!
  
Hi Patrizzio! It is good that you explained me what is "fractional condo". I didn´t know about something like this that this kind of ownership exists. Maybe it does, but as I am not interested in buying a property, I have no idea about it. Now I am wiser. You can transfer money for both trips in one payment instead of sending it two times. Where is your friend Branko from? I am interested as this name sounds like from Central Europe. My cousin is called Branko too. Katarina
 
Tried calling you back after your second call but only reach your answering machine. I can fill you in if you want to give me a call. Elaine 

No comments:

Post a Comment