Tuesday 12 December 2017

Gala Dehydration Blues: Tuesday, December 12th!

It's splendid to be a great writer, to put men into the frying pan of your imagination and make them pop like chestnuts. -Gustave Flaubert, novelist (12 Dec 1821-1880)




Patrizzio, Just a belated notice that I am back safely, and guess what? As you know, I came and went via the 97c. Worrying about my fuel shortage problems, I topped up in Peachland, at the sam station I coasted to on the way there. I did drive a bit slower, (not much). I made it to the Husky at 25th and Oak on 42L of gas!!! That is incredible milage for my gas guzzling truck/mule.

My analysis is, driving from Vancouver to Penticton (via the 97c), once past Hope (the town, not the feeling) you basically go uphill almost all the way! Going uphill, burns fossil fuel like no tomorrow. Coming back the same route, there is a steep but short climb to the peak of the 97c, then it’s all downhill! 130-150Km/hr in 5th gear, barely touching the pedal, vs pedal to the floor most all the way in the other direction. I think I will go to #3 route to, then the 97c back in the future. On another note, I got the included email from the Shnoz. My comments, then the Juan’s email follow.

This is funny, in spite of the fact that I do agree there is a point, albeit a very weak one, w.r.t. team names being politically incorrect. My High School basketball team were “The Blue Demons”. Wow! Maybe we should have called ourselves the "Pagan Satan Worshipers”. Hmmm … I actually like the nickname “Pagans”. It exemplifies free thought that declares independence from the oppression of Religion.

This list could go on far beyond the example below. The problem is, too many people don’t have much to do, have no imagination and are *not* burdened with intelligence. I wish they would just limit their activities to pushing a shopping cart around a supermarket. This would allow them to express their greatest skill in a way that *really* affects others. Branko


Hi Ragin'! Pleased to learn that you made it home, safely, without incident! I agree with your new travel plan, The Ragin' Ranger Loop! Thank you so very much, for all your help with our computers. I have already started using the new Photo file and had no difficulty using the Archive on external drive to compose the album of the Open House. Only thing you left behind was the old desk-top! My fault as I intended to bring it to the truck but needed to make two trips and forgot to return for computer. Anyway, I might ask Chloë to bring it into Vancouver this coming weekend as she is attending a funeral. If she is staying overnight she will probably be staying in your neck of the woods. I'll be in touch, one way or another, to let you know if this is a possibility or not. 

Am planning to go for a ride around 1:00 pm as wind is to drop in force, [From 24 kph, out of the S, to 13 kph, out of the SSE, as the afternoon progresses. Will be chilly with a  wind chill factor of around -3º C. Before that I am thinking of going to hear a talk on Kilt Making at the Penticton Museum, just a few blocks away. This morning I heard the co-owner of McPhail Kilt Makers, Amanda, being interviewed on radio this morning and she mentioned the presentation. We met Amanda and Paul, her husband, Paul, at a whiskey tasting last year when we sat at the same table. Funnily enough, he doesn't drink alcohol. At any rate, he came to Penticton, from Ayr, Scotland, at age 15, to the Okanagan Hockey Academy and they met at Pen-Hi, eventually marrying. Kilt making was a hobby, for him, at first, and their shop has now become so successful that they had to move to larger quarters since we met them. Fondestos from Lady Dar and Chloë. Thanks again for joining us for the weekend. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Sibling Screen Wars! Tub investigation!

Hello Naramatia! Thank you both, so very much, for your wonderful, wonderful cheese plate and wine! [Have your metal plate. Did you bring two platters?] Just wondering if you have reserved tickets for Chloë and myself for Wednesday's Jane Austen performance? If so will they be at PAG or should I try to pick up some today? Cheers, Patrizzio!

Around 10:00 am I started slicing up the last box of Gala apples we had stored in the garage, readying them for the dehydrator screens. Managed to fill five flats before I needed to walk over to the Museum, but ten minutes away. Amanda's talk had just started but Pam had saved a seat for me so I slipped in beside her. Very informative and interesting presentation and she was peppered with question after question once she finished her slide show. Before I left I thanked her and reminded her about having met her and Paul at the whiskey tasting. She was pleased I did so as she knew she recognized me but couldn't remember where. 


Once home I made a quick sandwich and suited up so I was ready to ride by 1:40 pm. Wind had died down since I had walked to Museum so was pleased as I headed down Ellis to PTC. Once I made my way along Lakeshore, (noting the many, many lake gulls strung out at the water's edge), and then down Riverside, I knew I was going for an extended Hamster Cage outing. Started out with 13  Power Street Loops and then returned to PTC to start all over again. Another 13 Power St Loops later and I was ready to return via Westminster. Light started to fail around 3:45 pm so I had turned on my LED to disco flash my presence to oncoming traffic. Approaching Burns from this direction one is reasonably protected from the head wind and grade is much flatter than on Ellis so I was able to maintain my AVG just above 20 kph when I swooshed up to the garage door. Quite pleased as I'd not been out since last Wednesday for my 70th birthday ride and really needed the exercise. Cheers! Map and Stats for ride: 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2377570434#.WjCA6T5QA4A.email


Patrizzio, This is incredible … how some animals brains are *wired*. Apparently, the bull does not recognize anything below a certain height as an enemy worth attacking. Personally, I have the opposite philosophy, The shorter and smaller they are, the easier to punch them out! Press the “play” button please! Too funny!! Hi Not-So Ragin' Bull! Would still need some "steel cojones" to lie down in that arena! Fascinating! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Lady Dar and I took in Three Billboards Outside Ebbings, Missouri this evening and found it one of the most powerful films of the year. Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell were simply superb in the dark tale of "a mother who takes matters into her own hands after the police in her town are unable to find a suspect in her daughter’s murder, by purchasing three billboards to call public attention to the unsolved crime." 

No comments:

Post a Comment