Sunday 4 February 2018

Alajuela to Tinsel Town Superbowl Blues: Sunday, February 4th!

Poor is the power of the lead that becomes bullets compared to the power of the hot metal that becomes types. -Georg Brandes, critic and scholar (4 Feb 1842-1927)


Patrick James Dunn Super Bowl dessert delivery by Alex's very, very proud Grandmother and Mom! Chloe Alexis Dunn What a handsome nephew I have!!!! ❤️❤️ Tim Kelly Handsome 

Up at just after 5:00 am to put on a pot of java. No Howler monkeys to disturb our sleep last night, although it was extremely windy, the trees outside our window making quite a sound! After quick showers and final packing we headed downstairs with our baggage to have breakfast. Food service started at 6:00 am so we had enough time for a quick bite before we caught the shuttle at 6:30 am. Lobby was full of folk on the same flight we were taking and we chatted pleasantly with a couple and their to young sons, from Portland. We'd seen them at supper the night before as they were sitting at a table next to ours. Woman beside me was from Toronto who had been in Costa Rica for a choral music workshop so before I knew it we were at the Juan Santamaría International Airport.

[Chloe Alexis Dunn Great photo of two people I love so much!!! With the third of course behind the lens!! What a small lovely world it is!! ❤️]

Check-in process was very efficient, as was security so we were headed to our departure gate, #3, with about ninety minutes to scope out Duty Free before boarding started. I left Lady Dar to mind our carry-on and went to reconnoitre. I wanted to spend most, if not all, of my colones and didn't have too, too much trouble doing just, picking up two bottles of Ron Centenario, the local dark rum, but these were Edición Limitada 30 Aǹos. I had tried the 7 Aǹos when we first arrived in San José and enjoyed it very much and since I'd never tasted a rum that was thirty years old I figured now was the time. Also picked up about eight bars of the wonderful Costa Rican chocolate before returning to let Lady Dar loose on the shops and who should I spy, talking to her but Krissy Seymour! [We knew she was in Costa Rica as she had posted something somewhere but even Chloë, (when we talked to her the night before), didn't know where she was, in the country.] Anyway, we had a lovely visit, catching up on her travels in CR and her life in Squamish. We hadn't seen her since last summer when she and Chloë came to visit.

A few minutes later Lady Dar wanted to take a look around so I continued to visit with Krissy before asking her if she would watch over our possessions as I still had a few colones burning a hole in my pocket. Picked up a few more bars of chocolate and back to the departure gate where boarding had already started. Krissy was sitting a few rows behind us so we didn't really have the opportunity to speak again. Lady Dar and I both had aisle seats but she was two rows ahead of me. Plenty of films to watch and reading to do so flight went well. I was delighted that Marshall was still on the menu as I had not been able to finish it on flight from LA. Also watched last two episodes of The Vietnam War, the remarkable documentary by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick. For some reason I thought I had enough time to watch Jackie Chan in The Foreigner, [Chan plays Quan, a humble London businessman whose long-buried past erupts in a revenge-fueled vendetta when the only person left for him to love -- his teenage daughter -- dies in a senseless act of politically motivated terrorism. His relentless search to find the terrorists leads to a cat-and-mouse conflict with a British government official whose own past may hold the clues to the identities of the elusive killers.], but only made it about halfway through before we landed. Guess I'll have to return to Costa Rica as I was rather enjoying the film.

Once we'd made our way off the plane we waited for Krissy, continuing to visit until we had to clear Customs. Very efficient process and Lady Dar and I were through in no time. Lost track of Krissy as she had a connecting flight to Seattle so were not sure if we'd see her when we claimed our baggage. Did in fact, do so but she was in a line-up for connecting flights so I ducked under the barrier to give her a kiss and we both waved goodbye. Traffic was a nightmare so Ayn was delayed by about half an hour. We were happy to read our books so did just that until she pulled up around 2:30 pm. As soon as we and our bags were aboard, she told us that Alex had been called in to do an extra shift so she was dropping off a large plate of brownies decorated with footballs and Super Bowl logos at the Westchester Firehall #5, his assigned station for the first five months of mandatory probationary period.

Of course, we were more than delighted to see him and the firehall, in fact located but a few minutes from the airport itself as this unit works very closely with the dedicated squad operated by LAX. When outside one of the entrances Ayn called Alex and he came out to buzz the gate open. Had Ayn taken a slightly different route we could have driven directly to the visitors' parking area. Shortly after we'd greeted him, his Captain, Captain Arriolo, [32 year vet], came outside and welcomed us and thanked Ayn for dessert as only items on menu for Super Bowl Sunday had been chicken wings and pizza until we arrived!

Alex gave us the "Nickel Tour", [We didn't go the second floor where the sleeping dorms and bathroom/shower facilities are located but we did see the two poles that I dearly would have loved to try sliding down!], so-called because of the hall's number, and we were quite impressed with the large, common kitchen/dining area and almost industrial/commercial grade appliances, gas stove, etc. A quick walk through of the two garages, one on either side of the offices/living quarters, , where the various firetruck and rescue vehicles are parked. In fact, an emergency call came in, [We could hear it over the loudspeakers.], while we were chatting with the Captain beside the the largest ladder truck. Alex could have been assigned to respond but his Captain wanted one of Alex's classmates to take the call, feeling he could use the experience more than Alex. Furthermore, he was extremely complimentary to Ayn and Corinne, saying they had both done wonderful jobs of raising such a fine young man. Teasing Alex, he recounted how many of his fellow officers, over the course of the training program, usually after describing some procedure or task, would ask Alex, "Why are you always looking down on me?", as he literally towers over most everybody! 

He himself complained about a sore neck from having to look up when speaking to Alex and we sympathized, telling him how we need to stand on chairs or stairs to take pictures with him and/or Pierre. Thanking him, we said goodbye and Alex walked us back to the car. Won't see him until we return mid-month as he isn't off until Tuesday morning and we will be leaving for Palm Desert on Monday morning. Traffic was moving fairly slowly on the 405 but it was such a lovely afternoon that we could enjoy the surrounding hills and neighbourhoods we passed through and slightly above.

Winston was beside himself to see us with all our new smells and he gave us thorough rounds of sniffings before he settled down in his bed in the living room. We did much the same, on the couch, as the Super Bowl had only been on for a few minutes and Ayn had prepared fabulous chicken wings for starters, along with carrot and celery sticks and dip. I poured myself a hefty snort of Ron Centenario and was most pleased with its rich, rich taste and silky mouthfeel. Lady Dar had her Boodles Gin with cranberry juice and we taosted our safe return. Must say that I don't think I've ever watched a Super Bowl game from start to finish but must admit that I quite enjoyed today's game immensely. While I didn't have any particular allegiance for one team or the other, I usually root for the underdog, The Eagles, in this case, but I was also half-hoping that Tom Brady might win his sixth Super Bowl. Even managed to enjoy Justin Timberlake at the halftime show, not so much for his singing but rather the non-stop choreography, truly remarkable brass and sparkling light show. Must say that I wasn't really taken with any of the ads, especially after so much had been made in the lead-up to the event. However, I'm so out of touch that I probably wasn't aware of or simply didn't understand most of the pop cultural references.

Once the New England Patriots' Hail Mary prayer wasn't answered Ayn served the most delicious chili, one could imagine. She uses reasonably small chunks of diced "Texas steak" for her meat component and they were tender as tender could be. Topped with sour cream and avocado I would have consumed gallons had it not been for the fact that I'd had more than my share of wings. With the two hour time difference I was starting to feel pretty sleepy so by the time I'd brushed and flossed it was just past 10:00 pm and I was ready to fall into bed. Lady Dar was  already asleep and Ayn was on her way upstairs as I was ready to turn of the kitchen lights. Thanking her again for the chauffeur service, wonderful fire hall tour and fabulous Super Bowl fare I said goodnight and we both went to bed.

Thanks for the update and photos. Live those photos. I should have told you that I am sometimes called Lady Di so you have a photo of Lady Dar and Lady Di. Lucky you. Hope you have a good flight home. Keep in touch. 
 
Patrizzio et al, Happy new month! Glad things are going well and according to plans for you. I had made a call out to Ayn to see to your well being. Just before this email arrived, which I knew would come at some point. It seems like fun, less the mosquitoes lol. Not a friendly pest, their buzzing noise to me carries the same weight as their bites. Usually, and I know your are a seasoned traveller, one must have a spray ready for a combat. Or perhaps your are an environmentalist and prefer they exist lol. Take care of yourself, and enjoy every inch of your trip in safety.

I started a new job at a school with 4th graders. Oh men, how they like to talk endlessly, out of turn, rerouted back to quiet. Its fun, and as you may wonder I now have very little time to Dash. It's a better deal actually. I mean I still do the least or, shall I say, reduced hours. I have seen positive yields with my case as I have two kids whom I have under my watch for the most part. Atmosphere is fun, waldorf philosophy.. quite enriching. Students and teachers do not wear clothes with tags or labels etc. Oh the kids treated us to a Shakespeare play, The Mid Summer Night Dream.. fun to watch. And only a week ago, they had a strings concert which I was not able to attend.

Oh dear, I have not been able to make the Santa Susana pass and not very happy to be frank. Back tire is out, not a major excuse. But time due to work has been scarce. I definitely will get tires fixed this week, then set out a time I can get to it. I actually found an area in LA where hill/valley runs about four miles and perhaps 7-10 curves. I am anticipating a friend's visit later this month and I hope we can work something out. Am a little under the weather and taking things slow. It get fuzzy working with kids you know! Ride on friend, best to Lady Dar, thanks for the wonderful pictures, and I anticipate your return to LA. Bon Voyage! WW
 

Good morning all, Since we have a busy week ahead of us I like to skip Wednesday night bridge this week. Knowing you have 4 players, it doesn't make me feel too bad.Enjoy, and I'll see you next week for a good game of bridge. Jos 

Hi ho, Old Farts, Yes, a Thursday outing, and even a bit of warning. Rick will lead a snowshoeing expedition to Okanagan Mountain. -meet at 0900 at Home Hardware parking lot in Penticton (0840 at IGA in Summerland) -carpool and drive to the Okanagan Mountain parking lot (or as close as you can get) -snowshoe -return to Penticton for debriefing and coffee. Are you interested? If so, pleas let Rick know. Cheers, Jim
  

No comments:

Post a Comment