Saturday 17 February 2018

Santa Susana Pass Road Blues: Saturday, Febraury 17th!

 The closing years of life are like the end of a masquerade party, when the masks are dropped. -Arthur Schopenhauer, philosopher (22 Feb 1788-1860)


Cart Can someone bring down the grocery cart please Hi there, Thanks for the info. I guess the shape of the rock looks vaguely like Napoleons tomb! Gill and myself have hiked up to the tomb and explored around the area many times. Gill has never quite managed to climb to the top as it has a 12 ft cap of what's called Fort Apache limestone/dolomite/siltstone (documents incursion of Pedrogosa sea about 280 mya) over the red sandstone and it's sheer. There are a few breaks in the cliff that Gill keeps insisting she could clamber up but there would be no safety so a fall would be serious or even deadly! Gill says Oh I'll be fine!! Have a small bout of stomach flu at the moment which has kept me off today's Westerner hike. Hope you're both well. See you in BC. Phil Hi again Philipo! Sorry to hear about your stomach flu. Probably caused by Jack Rabbit's sense of invulnerability! We'd be happy to FedEx you any of the medicine shown in attached snap! Must away as I needs must ready myself for today's ride. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Van Nuys Medicine Cabinet!


Hi Gmail Mary! Thanks for new address! Furthermore, wanted to wish you Happy Chinese New Year! Cheers, Patrizzio! Hello Digitale and Fingare! Trust you are both well. We were back from a wonderful time in Costa Rica Sunday, February 4th, and following day, en route to Palm Desert to spend two nights with Lynne and Peter Lighthall, friends from Naramata. Afterwards, continued on to Sun City for three nights with Louise and Henryk, more good friends. They have a very comfortable house there and they house sat for us in 2015 when we were in India. Then on to Oak Creek, just south of Sedona, for another three nights with Gill and Phil Robson, who own a very comfortable home on Coffee Pot Rock Road. Views are spectacular, as you can imagine! Some wonderful rides there as well as a short hike. Left for Tinsel Town this past Wednesday and will be here until Monday, February 20th, then for the night in Berkeley. 

Will stop by Coffaro Winery, in Sonoma, on Tuesday morning to collect a case of wine and then the long drive to Portland. One way or another, we plan to arrive in Vancouver, no later than the 23rd so if you are still up for having us stay, overnight on Wednesday, 22nd, that would be much appreciated. If too, too inconvenient, given your pending trip, don't worry, as we'll simply push on. At any rate, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. She and Ayn will be off shortly to look at condos. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Didn't set out until 12:45 pm as I didn't intend to go for as long a ride as yesterday. What I had determined to do was to explore the developments and streets to the west of Woodman, leading towards Lake Balboa Park to see if I could find an alternate route to the Orange Line Busway so as to avoid having to touch The Dreaded Burning Ground at the numerous traffic lights, the only real annoyance on this otherwise terrific dedicated bike path. Started out, with a warm-up in my own "hood" before crossing Woodman to ride next door, so to speak, with 23 km on the clock before crossing Hazeltine, off Bessemer. 

Had only ridden through this quadrant, on Delano, as far as Van Nuys, on a couple of earlier rides, so decided to spend more time here. Quite an interesting mix of civic buildings, (Van Nuys Courthouse West, the Mayor's Field Office, a fire hall, [Had to turn off onto a side street to avoid three fire trucks racing out to answer a call], and a LAPD parkade/precinct.), together with residential dwellings on surrounding streets. A couple of the streets closer to the civic buildings looked pretty run-down and I noticed many yard sales, (clothing draped over fences), or individual tables set up on the grass beside the sidewalk loaded with what looked like ornaments or kitchen wares. Even a fairly large fruit/vegetable van dispensing a wide variety of produce.

Very pleased with my reconnoitering as I discovered a number of possible ways to "sneak" across both Hazeltine and Tyrone, not as busy as Woodman and Van Nuys. With respect to Van Nuys there were numerous other, less travelled cross-streets, where I could easily circle until catching the light to cross this very busy thoroughfare. Delighted with these findings I then proceeded to criss-cross the quadrant to the north and when I'd finished here, made an easy hop across Hazeltine to do the same on the development I'd explored a couple of days ago. This time, however, I returned home via Ranchito, crossing Victory back into the development next to where Ayn lives. Had enough distanc eon the clock by the time I reached Woodman that I only needed a short dipsy-doodle up Ventura Canyon Ave before pulling up in front of the apartmento. Hip Hip Hooray as am now armed with more detailed field information for the next assault on either Balboa Lake Park or Santa Susana Pass or both! Cheers! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2504736703#.WojKNKJa2PY.email
 

Thank you so much for my card! You always make me feel so special. I am currently at Sparkling Hills in Vernon with a girlfriend for the weekend and enjoying the saunas and pampering! I hope you and Corinne are well! Much love, E Hi Pat, Thanks for the sweet Valentine. I have been watching your and Corinne's Facebook posts about all of your travels, bike rides, family celebrations and such. So busy in retirement!! How did you ever have time to work?! Thanks, from Sara. 

The 22nd will be fine. Perhaps we can go to the local pub for dinner. Storage rates in the wine cellar have not changed for 2018. See you, Marilyn Hello Keeper of the Wine Cellar Keys! Thank you for the speedy reply regarding the unchanged rates for wine storage. Also, my mistake but Wednesday is February 21st! Is this still fine? Much appreciated. I must apologize for not replying by return post BUT catastrophe, (or so I thought!), struck this evening. Sam and Alex came for dinner and had arrived but a few minutes after I was back, myself, from my ride. I was downloading the ride data when they walked in the door. After we greeted them, (from a distance, for me, as I was an un-showered untouchable), I asked Samantha for her current email address as I only had one for Alex in my contact list. Wanted to update her contact information before I put away my computer so Ayn and Lady Dar could set the table. 

To my absolute horror, I discovered that my battery was almost completely discharged and assumed Winston had pulled the magnetic plug from the computer itself on one of his meanderings around the living room, as this has happened before. Imagine my consternation when the orange light, (indicating recharging is taking place), did not come on when I reattached the cord to the computer. Panic set in and I changed outlet plugs, trying desperately to revive the dying battery. To no avail and with its last gasps HAL sent a message indicating HE was shutting down once battery level reached 2%!

All this to say that I was forced to come to terms with just how much I have come to depend on this technology to communicate with friends and family, particularly critical when on the road, for obvious reasons. Sorry to burden you with my computer anxiety but I had nightmarish visions of Lady Dar trying to communicate with you, using the wrong phone number! All's well that end well, supposedly, so we look forward to seeing you both on Wednesday, February 21st! Drive from Redding, [Where we will probably stay overnight, after leaving Sonoma, so that we can eat at Jack's, our favourite steak joint.], is about six and a half hours from Portland so I assume we will be knocking on your door somewhere around 4:00 pm+/-, depending on departure time and traffic. Fondestos from Lady Dar, watching Olympic coverage, to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Ayn and Lady Dar off to look at condos; Sam and Alex last night; first watching The Shape of Water, [Alex fell asleep as he had finished his 24 hour shift that morning!], then at dinner table and then saying goodbye. 

Hey Kids, Hope you are having a great trip! We just booked Burrowing Owl for 2 nights, Sept 11 and 12.If you are around, we’d love to visit and catch up after...
Hope to see you on the Island sometime-some special wines set aside for you!
Hope all is well. Cheers,Gregg & Francesca
Hi Francesca and Gregg, good to hear from you. We are still in LA but starting the trip home on Monday. Have had a good two months away. Costa Rica was really interesting more variety than we had expected. Will spend Thursday- Saturday nite at Wayne and Michele’s. Want to visit Ted Keating who is gravelly ill. 

Patrick leaves for 3 months in Europe mid-April to mid-July and comes back and will have his shoulder replaced on July 26. We will be home after the 12 of Sept and it would be good to have a visit with you two. No plans to visit the island yet but we certainly have many friends that have made the move there.
What are your holiday plans for the summer? I am starting to get quite a few weddings for upcoming summer and Chloe will be moving into her townhouse sometime hopefully by May or June. Let’s keep in touch, Hugs Corinne



Dear Patrick and Corinne Thanks for the pictures and update about your trip to Costa Rica. Love the look of your abode --this is Coco Loco Lodge right? You definitely can tell from your photos that you have had monsoon like rains--the fields were soaked and beach looks really tumultuous. Will have to get out a map to really figure out where you are--my knowledge of geography with respect to the Caribbean is abyssmal.

When I see you and I hope that will be sometime this year--would like to know how you planned this trip. Sort of missed where you flew from LA to ?? Please forgive me but sometimes I get bogged down in the details so much so that I have missed step 1, step 2 and the final destination. The food you described seemed pretty healthy and yummy to me. And quite a good place to sit and read a book. Colin and I have been well. Retirement is too good to be true--still feels like vacation.

A high school friend from Edmonton and I attended non-stop the Canadian National Figure Skating Finals held at UBC Doug Mitchell Arena for a week in January 8-15--really enjoyable and I watched everything non-stop each day from 8:30am to 10:30 pm. I Kept track of the skaters--novice, juniors, and seniors. Practically made a job of it! However, it was so interesting and what spectators--skating fans are a group unto themselves--like a cult and they seem to know each other. Met people from St. John's Nfld., Ottawa, Victoria, and even a mother and daughter team who were in love with Scott Moire and Tessa Virtue who were from Florence, Italy. Met two librarians from Ottawa--Barry Burns--headed up a division in Library Archives Canada and his wife Barbara also a librarian with LAC. They follow Canadian skating like mad and have been retired for awhile.

After the skating week I was exhausted and had to recuperate as I volunteered for the PUSH Festival--Jan. 16-Feb. 4. Loved it as I was an usher--what a wonderful volunteer experience--they were kind to us and I got to see so many great performances. Loved it as I saw so many librarians at these events -- Paul and Joan Whitney, Brenda Peterson, Anne Olsen and Writers Festival grand dame -- Alma Lee.

This past week the weather has been very cold and lots of snow on the mountains and even here in the city. I have ventured up to Grouse and tried out the kids slope -- oh it is hard work for me and my left leg feels ever so weak but I am determined so will try to go again this week. Just a chore getting my boots on. Colin comes with me and he goes snowshoeing. The snow is ever so grand--even some powder on Grouse if you can imagine.

Also finished reviewing 65 books for CCBC Best Books. Just met today with our committee --Sharon Freeman is the chair and two children's librarians from Burnaby Public Library Andrea Gregoric and Sayong -- can't think of her last name--young Korean gal--so interesting talking with her about Korea. Anyways thanks again for your lovely Valentine and updates. Sorry to be such a neglectful correspondent. It is snowing like crazy outside!! Also the Hurt house has just sold. Cheers for now Jo-Anne


Dear Patrick Thank you so so much for this wonderful Valentine--much appreciated!! So sorry for the late reply as I was off my computer for a bit too involved with the Olympics and with a bunch of kids books for the Canadian Children's Book Centre. I hope you and Corinne are well. Things here are in a state of chaos--not really adjusted to all this free time and I must say I am not using it wisely--I was way more efficient when I was at work. Anyways dear heart--take care and looking forward to hearing more about your travels. XXOO Jo-Anne  

Hi Pat, Thanks for the sweet Valentine. I have been watching your and Corinne's Facebook posts about all of your travels, bike rides, family celebrations and such. So busy in retirement!! How did you ever have time to work?! Thanks, from Sara. Thank you so much for my card! You always make me feel so special. I am currently at Sparkling Hills in Vernon with a girlfriend for the weekend and enjoying the saunas and pampering! I hope you and Corinne are well! Much love, E

No comments:

Post a Comment