Thursday 1 February 2018

Howler Monkeys SIng the Very Early Morning Blues: Thursday, February 1st!

As societies grow decadent, the language grows decadent, too. Words are used to disguise, not to illuminate, action: you liberate a city by destroying it. Words are to confuse, so that at election time people will solemnly vote against their own interests. -Gore Vidal, writer (3 Oct 1925-2012)


Howler monkeys were making quite a fuss all night. Was awakened by their very loud howls at 2:30 am, 4:30 am and finally at 6:30 am! Love our room as it is just around the corner from the breakfast service so I popped by to have my first cup of coffee while Lady Dar readied herself. Were treated to more entertainment from the Titis, this morning at breakfast. Cheeky little things were stealing fruit, (in the last two shots, pineapple), off people's plates this morning if you turned your back! There must have been about fifteen of them. 

Absolutely delightful, leapfrogging over each other, literally shooting/scampering up tree trunks and launching themselves, quite a distance, into thin air, a la Flying Squirrels, (also known as Monkey Squirrels, for this very reason), to reach neighbouring branches or large shrubs to plunge into. From their exquisitely delicate, clown-like faces, mini-Marcel Marceaux! However, never sad looking, except when food is denied, then beseeching, imploring expressions and pathetic, high-pitched, quite shrill squeaks. Apparently, the people who started the hotel were instrumental in saving this species from extinction. At any rate, a marvellous, marvellous treat and privilege to see and observe them so closely. Must away, myself, as the beach and surf call. I'm not a surfer but I love diving under the "grandes" before they come crashing down.

Hi Stranger!! Hope that you are well. I am hoping to pick your brain......we are tentatively planning to spend a week ski ing with Dad in jan/Feb 2019 and then flying to Zurich/Switzerland. In your experience/opinion what are the best flight options? ie fly out of vancouver direct or via LA/Dallas or another hub? I've just got myself a bit confused with all of the different flight options and am not sure what is the best/fastest option. 

Hi Kirsty! Trust you are well. Greetings from Manuel Antonio, our last stop in Costa Rica before flying back to Tinsel Town this coming Sunday. Not sure if I'm the best person to give advice about flights but I am flying direct, from Vancouver to Paris, in April. For my part, I wouldn't fly through the US unless absolutely necessary, just in terms of more security etc. You could send Susan Pitchford a message and ask her what she thinks. She and her husband Charlie, [We were devastated when he died this past November.], started a very successful travel agency, based out of their home in Vancouver, when they moved from Toronto. Susan, along with their daughter Marnie, is still running company. In the past, whenever we couldn't figure out flights ourselves, much like you describe, we'd ask them and have always been more than satisfied. No cost as airlines pay them. Anyway, if you do decide to contact her you can reach her at this address. Mention you are friends of ours, just to place request in context. 

Depending on what your schedule is like you might consider visiting us in Penticton for a day or so, or longer, should you have time. There are also very good flights from there, or Kelowna, back east, for overseas connections so that might be an option as well. Must way as beach calls! Fondest to you and Chris and rest of Famiglia Tassel, from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio! Titi monkeys who live in trees around our hotel. Cheeky little things were stealing fruit off people's plates this morning if you turned your back! There must have been about fifteen of them. 

Hi James! Trust you are well, other than your knee!. Fondestos to you and Carol and rest of hiking gang, from Lady Dar. Must away as the beach and surf call. I'm not a surfer but I love diving under the "grandes" before they come crashing down. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Pics: Two Capuchins on way to beach yesterday; Horse-back rides, anyone? Lady Dar dips her toes; I'm sending her aloft today! Titi monkeys who live in trees around our hotel, yesterday afternoon and this morning at breakfast. Cheeky little things were stealing fruit, (in the last two shots, pineapple), off people's plates this morning if you turned your back! There must have been about fifteen of them.

Absolutely delightful, leapfrogging over each other, literally shooting/scampering up tree trunks and launching themselves, quite a distance, into thin air, a la Flying Squirrels, (also known as Monkey Squirrels, for this very reason), to reach neighbouring branches or large shrubs to plunge into. From their exquisitely delicate, clown-like faces, mini-Marcel Marceaux! However, never sad looking, except when food is denied, then beseeching, imploring expressions and pathetic, high-pitched, quite shrill squeaks. Apparently, the people who started the hotel were instrumental in saving this species from extinction. At any rate, a marvellous, marvellous treat, and privilege, to see and observe them so closely.

Hi Corinne, Pat, sorry for the late reply, hope you guys had a great holidays and new year, and that you had a good time in LA and ARE having a good time in Costa Rica. Not much going on on my end except the never-ending quest to navigate through adult life (but not necessarily figuring it out, I gave up on that fool's errand a while ago haha). I'm still working on contract for the province as a researcher, not a bad gig but hopefully I will find something more permanent soon since I'll be finishing up my degree in May (hard to believe, I know). I just applied to work as a Library Assistant at VPL, it's only as an auxiliary but if I get it I guess it's a small foot in the door to VPL, although, not sure if public libraries is the route I want to take career-wise, any thoughts on work as an academic librarian vs a public librarian?

Besides that, the main thing in my life is my dad's health, he's not doing so well and we have spent the better part of last year (and still) trying to figure out what is wrong with him (years of physical labour and not taking care of his body are probably catching up to him). The hardest thing has been seeing his confidence go down, and he's usually a very boisterous and energetic person (think a Chinese version of Pat but not fueled by single malt), and as someone on the side not being able to really do much to make him feel better, I mean, short of waving a magic wand to make all of his ailments go away, I am not sure what to do besides give him words of encouragement but it's not really doing much for him as I can tell all he wants is to be "normal" again. Anyways, sorry, not to bring down your mood while you are away on holiday, but I guess what I'm asking you guys, especially, with your own recent loss Corinne, how do we prepare ourselves for the negative aspects of our parents aging and getting sick? Maybe there's no road map here, but always good to hear how other people cope.

Things are otherwise good, and can't complain, I think on a personal level I've done a lot of growth and reflecting in the past year, and it's always amazing to me how we have so much room for change, even as we get older and supposedly more set in our ways. Always miss seeing you guys and hopefully we'll see each other soon Take care, VL

Hi Victorious! Lovely to hear from you! Terribly sorry to hear about your Father, Victor Not much advice to give on this matter. This is the way that life unfolds and one simply has to accept one's frailties and inevitable mortality and carry on, as best one can, in spite of such terribly difficult matters. Both Lady Da and I have been very, very  fortunate, inasmuch as my Mom, and Her Dad, lived extremely long and productive lives and did not suffer towards the end of their allotted days. 

Heard from Ragin' Bull, yesterday, and he is dealing with a very, very difficult situation with his own father. He should be in a care facility but is so stubborn, as well as suffering from dementia, that he won't hear about being moved. On an even more devastating front, our very close friend, Ted Keating, (He is but a year older than us.), is dying from an extremely rare neurological condition, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), for which, currently, there is no cure. Treatment is aimed at alleviating symptoms and making the patient as comfortable as possible. How his wife, Elaine, is coping goes beyond understanding. If it turns out that he is still alive, (Highly unlikely as Elaine mentioned to Corinne, when we took a whirlwind trip into Vancouver, before Christmas, that they had already taken steps towards putting assisted dying in place. Eventual death is a horrible, horrible one, much like Lou Gehrig's Disease, I gather.), when we are making our way back home we'll certainly drive to Penticton, via Vancouver, to see him and Elaine. If this transpires, I'll be in touch, beforehand, and perhaps we can organize to get together. Not trying to make you fell better but sometimes knowing about other circumstances and situations puts things in a sharper perspective. Stay well and take care of yourself, Victorino. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

PS: Lady Dar just left. Fondestos from her. She mentioned, before sashaying out the door, that if you haven't graduated yet, applying at VPL is fine. However, don't put off graduation otherwise you'll be shelving books for the rest of your working life and become an embittered person, whining about what you should have done! More expensive advice. I think I'm up to at least three bottles of cask strength by now!!!

haha great pictures!! great to see you guys are enjoying yourselves, and thank you for not sending any pictures of yourself in a bathing suit Pat--and Corinne must be used to spending time with monkeys being married to you for numerous years.....VLHi Vittorino! Thanks for the compliments. In fact I wouldn't mind being reincarnated as a monkey as they are such nimble, flexible, energetic, cunning and intelligent creatures, unlike an aging Swedish Twin I know! Funnily enough, we've met many Swedes on this trip, as well as Danes, Argentinians, Brits, Israelis and Californians. I'll be laughing at you shortly, when I'm frolicking in the surf! Cheers, Tati Patrizzio!

Hi Victor, it’s great to hear from you. We are having a very interesting time and finding out all about the incredible wildlife of CR. Two things in response to your message. First, if you are graduating in May why apply to working as a Library Assistant? By the time you are processed and trained you will be able to work as a librarian. I think you should look at the community colleges as well as universities. Second, you can’t change your dad’s health but you can try and see him and spend time talking as much as is reasonable. I think back to the conversations and time I spent with my dad all the time. Hope you can make a trip to Penticton sometime soon. Take Care, Hugs Corinne



Hello Palm Desert/Palm Springs! Trust everyone is well. It occurred to me that since both you lads are avid golfers, I'd put you in touch with each other, in case an opportunity arises to play together, to get out form under The Sisterhood's feet! Fondestos from Lady Dar, to one and all. Stay well and take care of each other, dear friends. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Chloë, et al! How is the weather in Penticton? How are our favourite cats? How is your studying going? How are the sidewalks that you shovel every day?
Finally had time to record yesterday's journey from Santa Teresa to Manuel Antonio. [Thanks for the good time! Sandee]

Lazy, lazy morning after breakfast today. After I digitated until about 2:00 pm, the Howler monkeys seemed really fussed about something and Lady Dar called me to come and take a look. About six or seven of the smaller ones we'd seen yesterday were scampering across the pool fence. A couple of them stole handfuls of sugar sachets that had been left out, after lunch, I suppose. Any way after the Great Sucrose Heist, two of them perched on the trunk of a large tree beside our patio where I'd set up my laptop on the small table there. Cheeky little devils were quite happy to have me photograph them as they tore packages apart. Furthermore, Lady Dar, who was reading beside pool, as all this action was going down, said another enterprising fellow took a small plastic cover off a pool drain and scooped out insects floating there! Obviously more concerned about a healthy diet than his relatives or friends.

Around 3:00 pm I put on my trunks and folded some folding cash into the small pocket inside the shorts. Only put sunscreen on my face as my long-sleeved shirt blocks out UV, and, hat on head, shades on my nose, I walked down to the beach. Tide was much higher than it was yesterday so I suppose it has something to do with the coming full moon. Anyway, surf was washing way up on the beach, almost to the restaurant we'd eaten at yesterday. Found a medium-sized rock and put it in the reusable bag I'd brought long, to keep it from blowing away, along with my sandals, shades and hat, and then went in search of the perfect wave! Had loads of fun diving under many of the "grandes" and even the heavy surf, they created, once they broke. Water was  wonderful temperature and I'm sure I could have stayed in for an hour or more. Need to limit my exposure to the sun so after about thirty minutes of frolicking, I returned to collect my few possessions and walked further down the beach close to where there is a mercado. Picked up more water, juice, a package of corn crackers , beloved by Lady Dar, and some "Baby Swiss" cheese, made in Monteverde, which brand we'd had before, although a Pesto Jack. 

Back at the room I dropped off my purchases and went to have a quick dip, rinsing in pool shower beforehand. No Tikis to be seen or heard but chatted with four Swiss, a couple and a father/daughter, playing a card game, with a board, a bit like a Chinese Checkers board, but smaller, apparently called Dog. The daughter lives in Costa Rica, further up the Nicoya Peninsula, near Samara, south of Tamarindo. Plan to stay with them in May, when in Berne, Dear Reader, before freeloading with the Austrian couple, from Vienna, who we met on speedboat. Then on to Prague to stay with the sister of a vendor we met in Tamarindo! Only need a connection in Poland and I'm set for entire three months in Europe!

Enjoyed some of the snacks I picked up, listening to CBC, on the patio. Once I poured myself a Cacique and juice, (Lady Dar was already tippling Sauvignon Blanc), I showered and changed and went to the bus stop jut outside our hotel. Diana and Patrick, a couple from San Pedro, near Long Beach, were sitting on the bench there and invited us to jin them for dinner. When two fun buses passed us by, Diana and I started out, walking up the fairly steep, extended hill, towards the restaurant, El Lagarto, The Lizard, recommended to them by the hotel owner. Diane and I made it past a couple of the next bus stops before we gave in and waited for the next bus. Patrick and Lady Dar were on it so and a helpful local told us where to disembark, to walk the rest of the way to El Lagarto.

Place was quite busy and it was hard to hear one another until the the twenty or so people seated at the large table near us were finished their meal. We all agreed that the food was stupendous. Lady Dar had shrimp, in memory of Dusty, while I had medallions of pork, wrapped in bacon. Diana and Patrick have traveled quite extensively so it was most interesting to hear about many of the places they've visited. Once we had finished, with absolutely no room to even think about dessert, we called a cab, stopping at a BCR ATM is I could withdraw enough colones to see me through the rest of the stay. Annoyed it was a BCR branch as limit is 100, 000 while with Banco Naciaonal, one can withdraw 200,000. Cost me an extra $5 which I'd rather spend on anything but making the banks richer!

Back home we bade goodnight to Diana and Patrick, thanking them for the lovely evening. They leave for home tomorrow but we'll see them at breakfast. Mixed myself a Cacique to help me unwind after the trauma of the withdrawal and will soon head to bathroom to brush and floss awn i want to start my new book, Isabel Allende's Ripper! Fondestos from Lady Dar, watching How To Get Away With Murder! Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio! Pic: Howler sugar thieves!

Patrick James Dunn Not as much as these two Howlers likes sugar. They were perched on trunk beside where I'm digitating after they stole a couple of packages off one of the tables behind me, just a few minutes ago. Lady Dar said another took a small plastic cover off pool drain and scooped out insects floating there! Will have to show Duke his cousins! 

Hi Jocelyn and Jim! Trust you are both well. [Cannot believe that I have not replied to your message dated, September 15th! No excuses but plenty of reasons!] Thank you for the kind words and best wishes for Chloë's move. It went extremely well, pleased to report. Fondestos from Lady Dar, to you both, although she's so engrossed in her latest book I hardly think she has even a passing thought for friends and family! All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

My hip is improving daily & I don’t even take my cane out on short jaunts. My last physio is mid Feb & the last Surgeon appt is March 13. I hope to fly to Edmonton soon after to help Beth & family. It’s difficult to live so far away. Still, I don’t miss the extreme cold, snow & icy roads!! It’s rainy here on the island but it’s green, with many signs of spring. Beth is having her first chemo on Tues. it’s very scary & I know she’s worried st the unknown!! This date is coming up too fast, which I told her is a good thing. Let’s get this over with & get on with life!!!!!👍��👏�� Maggie😘 Hi Maggster! Glad the weather is improving but even happier to learn that your hip is progressing so well.  Will be thinking of you and Beth on Tuesday. Frightening of course, but has to be done, as you say. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Corinne Enjoyed meeting you and Patrick. Now you have my contact info also Diana







No comments:

Post a Comment