Wednesday 28 February 2018

Two Tables Have Dummy, Will Travel Blues: Wednesday, February 28th!

Man is certainly stark mad: he cannot make a flea, yet he makes gods by the dozens. -Michel de Montaigne, essayist (28 Feb 1533-1592)
 

Good morning Patrick, Sounds like you have been busy since your return 😊
Yes I have seen lion and I do know jim. One of my first forays into snow shoeing was with him ! I have yoga this am And a dentist appt this afternoon so will probably be over after 3 pm. Looking forward to seeing you both. PS thanks for photos I bet both cats are delighted to have you home!! Judy Xo
Buongiorno, Downward Facing Bridge Player! Etta and Duke are certainly pleased to have us home but Chloë is even happier as the "early birds" now come into our bedroom at 5:30 am to agitate for being let out! See you later this afternoon. Must away as I am called upon to prepare the grate for Lady Darjeeling's morning fire! Fondestos from her and Chloë, readying herself for work. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

As I had an appointment with Mark the Barber at 1:30 pm I wanted to go for my ride beforehand. We were hosting bridge that evening and I knew I'd probably not have enough time if I waited until after my haircut. Waited for the day to warm up a tad and then set out at a few minutes before 10:00 am. Initially, streets were even drier than yesterday and wind, still out of the South, was only blowing at 14 kph. Replicated, almost exactly, yesterday's route but the one difference was the fact that about a third of the way through I began to be peppered by bb sized snow pellets. They didn't stick to the road surface so I was pleased about that. As sky darkened, it started to snow more heavily, although the flakes didn't stay. Still, I don't believe I've ever ridden in a snow-storm before. Quite an experience and it helped pass the time as I gerbilized myself, clocking up the distance I wanted. With about 10 km to go, the sun started to peak through the lightening cloud cover and by the time I was back at Burns one wouldn't have known it had been snowing, and quite fiercely at times. Cheers! Map and Stats for ride: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2527074380#.WpcZ94fimQU.email

Thanks so much..it was a wonderful day..will send some pics Luv Louise and Henryk Hi Newlyweds! Congratulations again! Pleased to hear everything went off well. Busy here, trying to reintegrate ourselves into reality. The Japanese knife I picked up at estate sale is a lethal weapon so more than lived up to what I imagined it would be. Have not set up monitor, here, but did so in Vancouver as friend Branko had necessary connections which he was happy to be rid of. Still have to tinker with moving screens and sizing them but have too much to do before setting up in my "office"! First project will be using new clamps, smaller ones. A piece, (circular edge below top), of the round table, we use as a coffee table, needs to be re-glued. Had to move it yesterday, to make room for two tables of bridge, so it is already sitting atop Chloë's similar one, in Rumpus Room, patiently waiting for me! Have already penciled in Sun City for a month next year!!!
Have been riding last three days, ever since we arrived home on Sunday. Here, roads are almost completely free of ice and snow, except for some curbs on shaded streets, but still a fair bit of sand and grit. Chilly winds but I dress warmly. I dream of Sun City! Rain, (already started), and sleet forecast for today so I will head to the fabulous community pool to workout with deep water walking, exercise I used during my hip-replacement rehab. Really enjoy this activity and then the hot tub/sauna/steam-room afterwards! Must away as I have to vacuum, (You'll be pleased to know that Chloë never vacuumed once while we were away! As well, felines are out and hose and noise quite upset Etta, Duke not so much.), and re-arrange furniture moved around to accommodate second bridge table. Fondestos from Lady Dar, in absentia, out to dentist for a regular cleaning, to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!
PS: Really, really enjoyed the Limoncello, (Thanks again!), in LA and realized, to my horror, that I had left half of the bottle there! I'm sure Ayn and Los Horridos will enjoy it, given their requests for refills, but I had wanted to share your fabulous elixir with friends, Nancy and David, in Berkeley!

Pics: Costco Blanco preferred by David Coffaro, winemaker friend in Sonoma; with Patrizzia, his wife, when we stopped by, after leaving Berkeley, en route north; Bridge with Johnny the Snozz, Ragin' Bull, (folded arms), and The Penguin, in Vancouver. Ragin' is chap who has helped build more shelves in garage and Rumpus Room. He is also one who complained about my lack of clamps! Flamin' and Sarge, our hosts, in Vancouver, at Harbour Terrace, where we once lived! Bridge last night with Olga Polga, Filipo and Jack Rabbit Slims, latter our hosts in Sedona. They drove back, at times on a skating rink, last Friday! Lady Dar watching The Young and The Useless, with Duke and Etta; Chloë watching TV with Duke as we played bridge.

Thanks for the note Patrizzio. Good to catch up about Ted and all else. We did see Lion a while back - regrettfully I can't remember the storyline but do remember really liking it. In preparation for the Academy Awards show coming up this weekend, we've seen a number of movies of late - Ladybird, 3 Billboards Outside Ebbings, Mudbound, Darkest Hour, and Roman J Israel Esq. All good. I'm sure you've seen some, if not all, and I would recommend them all. I'm going to put your novel recommendation on my "goodreads" list. Let me know how you liked it after finishing up and if you think it's a good read. 

I tend to like slow moving character studies but also like the occasional crime drama! I hope you enjoy your e-book experience. I used to say I'd really prefer reading a book I could hold and turn the pages back and forth, but I've come around to the electronic books. So much easier to carry around and I can get loads of free stuff from the library without ever leaving home! Gotta run before the grumpy winemaker comes looking for me - time for dinner! Pat Hi again, Patrizzia! Lion is based on the true story of five year old Saroo, (his mispronunciation of his actual name, Sheru, "lion", who becomes separated from his older brother when he falls asleep in a train carriage. After a harrowing time on the streets of Calcutta and then in an orphanage, he is adopted by a couple living in Tasmania. He finally finds his birth mother and sister after 25 years!
 
We haven't seen the film Mudbound and plan to watch it tonight. Chloë and Lady Dar saw Darkest Hour and enjoyed it muchly. I'd like to see it, as well as Call Me by Your Name but not sure it we'll have time before Sunday. Home Show is on at Trade & Convention Centre, here in Penticton, this weekend so we plan to go on Saturday. Also having an Oscar Party on Sunday so have to get ready for that! Fondestos from Lady Dar. All the best to the hungry, ever-grumpy winemaker! Cheers, Patrizzio!                                            Hello Patrick wherever you are. I certainly remember the inane Pastor - late Sunday night as I recall - for his unintentional humour. 

And your mention of Van Nuys brings to mind a series we just finished watching which was based in Van Nuys. Goliath starring Billy Bob Thornton as a down and out/formerly high end lawyer taking on a major weapons manufacturer and monster law firm (which he helped found). It's streaming on Amazon Prime and I recommend it. Van Nuys seemed a bit seedy for the most part with some high-end canal based properties.

It sounds like you have found peace with your cycling - can I assume that you will be soon journaling with a GoPro? And perhaps a companion drone overhead to insure safe passage and return. 


All is well here except the weather has been unseasonably miserable - another wind warning for today extending past midnight. We took the dogs down to Gyro Beach earlier this afternoon and I was forced off the beach with high winds blasting sand and whatnot into my face - the dogs didn't seem bothered for some reason only they can comprehend (or maybe for no reason at all). Happy trails, John                                                         Hi John! Terrific to hear from you. I could only listen to Ask the Pastor on long-weekends as it was too, too late if school was next day. As junior high kids it was really the only slightly titillating exposure to things sexual we had access to. I think we even tried to call in once but our giggles got the best of us once we were on air! Valley Glen, where Ayn lives, is a more upscale part of Van Nuys, not at all seedy. 
 
Some of the homes and lots are magnificent. I often cycled through such neighbourhoods as streets are wide and quiet. I wonder if you are conflating Van Nuys and Venice Beach as there are no canals in former. Nevertheless, thanks for the tip on Goliath as I like Billy Bob! Love the idea of both a GoPro and drone, particularly if latter can tow me up some of the steeper hills hereabouts. Will put them both on my birthday and Christmas "want" lists! Currently, we are trying to work our way through films nominated for Oscars. Saw The Shape of Water, The Post, I, Tonya and The Greatest Showman in LA as Ayn had copies of DVDs from friends in industry! Fondestos from Lady Dar and Chloë, just back from work. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Dear Secret Admirer--Aw-w-w shucks!! Ain't you and the pups just the sweetest. Hope you had a Happy Valentine's Day with all your special girls at hand. It was a bit of a non-event here as it was the day Ann and Gary departed for home. We really enjoyed their visit and are currently enjoying time with Leighton McCarthy. He and Petey are playing golf right now and I am getting caught up on "me" things. Tonight we're going out to dinner with some other friends of Leighton's who also have a place here after appies and cocktails at Shadow Lake Drive. Cheers for now to you and Lady Dar. Lynnie XOXO

Hello Palm Desert, Golfers and Me Person! Terrific to hear from you and glad you enjoyed card and pups, Lynne, even if you didn't receive a cheap watch this year!! Say hello to Leighton for us. What are you currently watching? Fondestos from Lady Dar,.just away to an eco-meeting. All the best to you both from Chloë, playing with Etta and Duke in her bedroom. Enjoy your last few weeks in the sun and with any luck, snow will be completely gone when you return to Northern Naramatia. Remind us of your flight # and projected arrival time as we'll collect you. You can shop on way home or we'd be happy to pick up anything you might need to survive, once back up, depending on hour you land. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick Polly has a play on Thursday evening , and Saturday the boys are treating me to the rugby sevens and afters, so the only free evening is Friday. Sunday we are going to Surrey to Anne Hobbs 75 th birthday celebrations.
We head back on Saturday after a truly wonderful holiday here, even with all the babysitting! I’ll take three days so should be home Monday pm Terrible and sad news about Ted, he was such a great guy. We will touch base with Elaine when we get back to Vancouver. Just realized that we have been tardy in our reply to you so will be brief. Do hope that we can see you you when in town . Are you going to rugby on Saturday and Sunday? Mick

Hello Palm Springs, Golfers and Laundry Maid! Terrific to hear from you, Mick. Will be a very busy weekend for both of us, it seems. Friday is out for me as I'm attending the VWF Dram Come True, on Granville Island, that evening, with Sarge. I knew bridge with you folk would probably be a long shot. However, Sarge, Flamin' and I have weekend tickets for '7's so look forward to connecting then. I'm sure Elaine would appreciate a call or a visit. We await notice of date of Celebration of Ted's life as we plan to attend, if at all possible. Enjoy your last few days in the sun and with any luck, temperature will follow you when you return to The North Pole! Cheers, Patrizzio!



Hi Corinne and Patrick, Welcome back to the Okanagan. The pictures and stories were amazing, look like you had a very good time! I wanted to send this to you, because I think you would both have some fun. The event will be in a few weeks, so lots of time to bone up on your trivia. Doug and I belong to the Kiwanis club and this is the first year we have run this event in Penticton. We have had lots of success with the same type of thing in other places we have lived, and the funds raised will go to a very worthy cause. 
 
We have a few teams from our walking group already entered and I will be reaching out to the hikers as well. Please feel free to ask anyone else who may be interested. thanks, Hanneke Hi Quiz Masters! I believe Lady Dar has already replied that we will team up with Josinta and Aarturo but will ask anyone we know if they might be interested as well. Again, not sure if she invited you and Doug to our Oscar Party this Sunday? Training for Quiz Night! Anyway, hope to see you both soon, one way or another. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Patrick! We are so pleased that you and Corinne and Aart and Jos will be a team in our Quiz Night. It will be a ton of fun! The more the merrier, so if you spread the word, we would be happy to have more teams. thanks for the photos, nice to see the familiar faces, Hanneke







No comments:

Post a Comment