Tuesday 20 February 2018

Richmond San Rafael Bridge Blues: Tuesday, February 20th!

It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment. -Ansel Adams, photographer (20 Feb 1902-1984) 


Hi Patrick Thanks so much for this note and for the photos -- really interesting to see Ayn and Pierre and Alex. Take care Enjoy the warm weather -- it is really cold here. Off to Edmonton on Saturday--not sure why I am going to Edmonton in February?? Anyways cheap airfare with Flair Air and chance to see my Dad.
Watched the Canadian Ice Dancers -- Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue win gold--it was spectacular. Cheers Jo-Anne


Hi Jo-Anne! Thank you for the Olympic Update. I didn't know you were a figure skating groupie! As you might remember, Flamin' and Sarge were very involved with Skate Canada over the years as both their boys were figure skaters and Corey, the younger brother, still judges. Wayne was in charge of overall security for the figure skating event in 2010, [We met scads of of the Newfoundlanders who were out to volunteer for the same event.], and Michelle went to Torino in 2006 as an observer for 2010.  As you might expect, the Sutherlands know/knew most, if not all, of the Canadian competitors, etc, due to the sons' participation and their own. This has changed over the years as the family is not as involved, of course. Ryan was inducted into the Newfoundland Sports Hall of Fame for his achievements, a number of years ago. His coach, [his name slips my mind, but I think it was Bruno, and his partner, Natalia, both lovely, lovely people], stayed overnight with us, in Penticton, last summer, when Flamin' and Sarge were taking them on a bit of a tour of the Okanagan. Hence, we feel we are minor royalty in the Canadian Golden Figure Skating Pantheon! Bravo Tessa and Scott!

We were off to Healdsburg at just after 9:00 am this morning. Thought of you and Colin as we travelled through southern Sonoma and Santa Rosa, devastated by the most recent round of wildfires, as you know all too well. The Airbnb where our friends/hosts, Nancy and David, stayed about 18 months ago, was reduced to ashes. Not lost on them as their own home was similarly burned to the ground in the Berkeley/Oakland fires of October 1991. I and squash friend, Gregg Dawe, had stayed with them, in late September and was sitting at my desk in ILL, now the Dodson Room, when David called to tell me! They lost everything although they had building insurance so were able to rebuild once everything was sorted out. Ironically, I had left seven cases of wine, to be collected on the next trip, and our household insurance covered the loss. We were in Australia, north of Melbourne, just outside Castlemaine, Harcourt North, to be precise, staying with Lady Dar's Library School classmate, Kathleen Gray, when we talked to my Mom, for Christmas, and she told me the insurance cheque had arrived!

If you had never visited the hills up above Berkeley, where they still live you would never know that the landscape looked like it had been fire-bombed, since it has, over the years, completely regenerated itself. When their new home was finished, about three years later, they had a spectacular view of the Golden Gate. This disappeared about ten years ago, blocked again by the trees in front. To add an interesting detail to this story, David found one bottle from the seven cases I had left and kept it as a memento mori of sorts. It was from Caparone Winery, just outside Paso Robles, and a region we visited quite regularly in the early 90's.

As mentioned, we stopped off at Coffaro to collect a case of wine that had been bottled since we were by last December. Had a lovely, if brief visit with Pat and David, and he insisted I take a 2103 Lagrein, (one of my favourites of his offerings), for the Caparone Aglianico. Thanking them we waved goodbye, [We hope they might visit again this summer.], and made our way through the Alexander Valley to Napa and then Lake Country to Williams to catch I-5. Easy drive from there to Redding. Arrived at The Starlight Motel around 3:30 pm and Lady Dar has been watching more figure skating ever since. I just opened a 2016 Coffaro ZP2C, 15.4%, [A blend of every barrel of red produced each year.] Not overly complex but a wonderful, wonderful steal at $11/btl, futures price. I buy all of my Coffaro on this program and Patrizzia always gives me a 20%
discount although I'm technically only entitled to 10%, based on club I belong to. In fact I left $400 with her for 2019 futures. List comes out next month but I don't want to pay credit card charges, exchange + service with Visa! It will probably cost me around $300 for two cases but I always like to have a little change coming in case I want more of one varietal or another. They are so flexible that you can change your order if you decide you like the Zinfandel more than the Lagrein, per esempio, should you be there after barrel tasting whatever you wish or when you come to collect order as we often do! Have done this a number of times as wines change, as you well know.

Must away as I'd like to have a quick shower before we walk to Jack's, our favourite steak joint! Unfortunately they don't allow corkage and their wine list is uninspired, to say the least. Nevertheless, we'll polish of the ZP2C before we head out. Fondestos from Lady Dar, calling for a refill. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Arrivederci Winston and Ms Tinsel Town! Mark Caparone and vintage cars, current project, earlier one and Green Hornet prop; Villa Vicente; Coffaro!
 
Hello Kids! Thank you, Boris and Natasha, for the wonderful, wonderful stay! Meals and lunches and java were superb, as ever, even if we were given the bum's rush this morning! Said good morning to your cleaning lady as we made our hurried exit! Lovely to meet you, Ms Little Rock, and we wish you all the best with your move and relocation. See you next year for a Bourbon tasting tour! Onward!! Fight!!! Fondestos from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Villa Vicente; Coffaro! Caparone now and then!

Hi Patrick, How are you? I’m Nob, who did home-stay with your family roughly 20 years ago. I sent you a Facebook friend request the other day, but you’ve not accepted it yet. I found your account on the website of UBC. If this account is active and you read this email, please reply to me. I now live in Georgia, USA and will be here by the end of this year. If you and Corrine are preferable, I’d like to fly to Vancouver with my family! Anyway, I’m looking forward to your reply first. Best, Nobiwan

Hello Nobiwan! What an incredibly delightful surprise to receive your message! I must apologize for not befriending you on Facebook but I must admit I did not recognize the request and assumed it was an attempt to hack into my account. Thank you for being so persistent!
Much to tell after twenty years but suffice it to say, we sold our condo in False Creek, where you were our home-stay delinquent, and moved to Penticton, to the heart of The Drunkening Red Water wine region of BC! So, if you'd like to visit with your family we have plenty of room and flight connections into Penticton or Kelowna, an hour north of us, are very good.

Let us know when you are thinking of visiting. You should know that I will be in Europe from April 16th to July 10th so I hope you are able to visit before or after that. I suggest the summer as weather will be more conducive for swimming and, more importantly, wine-tasting! What are you doing in Georgia? Do you have children? We are anxious to know how your life twisted and turned after you returned to Japan.
We expect to arrive in Vancouver, probably, Thursday, February 22nd and then back home to Penticton on Sunday. Fondestos from Cora Lee to you and your family, Nobiwan. Let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Host Father Patrizzio!

Glad to hear you made it to Redding. Apologies for the last minute rush. Rita struggles to make ends meet and her schedule is more complicated than ours. Plus she currently has health concerns. She works so hard. We are watching skaters tonight. Russians next! Best to Lady Dar. Ciao, Nancy Hi Donna Florida and Vincenzo! Just back from Jack's where we enjoyed a wonderful, wonderful meal. Only mishap was the fact that corkage is now a possibility! Drat! [We'd have taken the 2013 Coffaro Lagrein David gave me for Caparone Aglianico I presented to him.] Would have been a poifect match for steak. Lady Dar ordered the 10 oz filet while I opted for Jack's Stack, basically bits and pieces from filet and NY Strip but half the price of former and just as tasty! Back at The Stardust Lady Dar was delighted to see Men's Czech Republic hockey team beat US in shoot-out! Nevertheless, we still love you particular Yanks! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Jack's! I'm sure Cactus would appreciate they IPA from Eel River, just south of Eureka, 7.2%; ceiling; Satisfied meat eater! What remains of the pool at the Americana Lodge, (now slated for demolition, I presume), first motel I stayed in here in Redding, back in 1984! Luxury, Sheer Luxury of Stardust awaits! Vintage cars at Caparone, yesterday!

Ah, Jack’s. I miss it!! Redding was quite a while ago. Glad you’re well. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! -A.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment