Saturday 10 February 2018

Pierre's 29th Birthday Blues: Saturday, February 10th

The older I grow, the more I listen to people who don't talk much. -Germain G. Glien


Happiest of Happy Birthdays, Pierre! For He's a Jolly Good Fellow! For He's a Jolly Tall Fellow! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Congratulations, Much Love and Affection, Nana and Poppa!

We arrived in Oak Creek about 12:40 pm after enjoying the drive from Sun City. Had never been on I-17 before so it was all new territory for us. Traffic was quite heavy until we left New River behind and we lost the convoys of semis on the numerous climbs. We arrived around 1:00 pm and after we'd greeted Jack Rabbit and Phillipo we unloaded the car. Then I walked to the hardware store to buy some plasticized cable, appropriate fittings and a lock to replace the lock for the cable lock I'd either lost or misplaced in Sun City. By the time I was back and was ready to ride it was close to 3:00 pm. I headed into Sedona and was absolutely delighted with the route, spectacular scenery whichever way I looked. I knew from being in Uptown Sedona in 2008 where I was headed and once I was through the main part of this part of the town I turned around and retraced my steps. 

Had come to understand the roundabouts by this time. Not them, in particular, but the entrance and exit ways built into the sidewalks, before and after a given roundabout, that allow one to avoid the often long lines of vehicles waiting to enter the roundabout, by travelling around the edge of each circular control, safely and quickly. Roller coaster of a ride describes the route to and from Sedona but nothing extraordinarily punishing. Even took a quick dipsy-doodle into one look-out parking lot before I climbed the last hill before gliding down into Rock Creek. Stayed on 179 until I turned onto Verde Valley School Road and was pleased that there was far, far less traffic than when I'd ridden to Sedona and back. Bike lane is fine but still there are vehicles whizzing by one all the time.

At any rate, since I had no idea how far paved road went I asked a gentleman walking towards me what I might expect. He told me tarmac ended at Verde Valley School so I decided I go a little further to see what I could find. Once I'd left most of the houses lining the road behind, I decided I'd better turn around as I didn't want to incur Jack Rabbit's wrath by being late for dinner. Did this in the huge driveway to somebody's mansion and returned to 197. Easy cycle up the slight grade and when I was back on Bell Rock Blvd was pleased to see I still had about half an hour before I was to be home. 
 
Decided I might as well use the remaining time to do a bit more exploring so I kept riding on BRB until it intersected with VVSR. Then I knew how the various streets interconnected. Did a short dipsy-doodle across VVSR, into some of the housing developments there and when back on BRD to another dipsy-doodle on Fairway Okas Drive to eventually return to BRD at Coffee Pot Rock Road and I was home, with five minutes to spare. As dinner was not quite ready, even had time to shower and change! Hip Hip Hooray! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2490641896#.Wn_N0xf7LB0.email

Nancy Mennel Glad to see the heat wave didn't phase you! Any plans for trip North?Patrick James Dunn We will be leaving for Tinsel Town on Valentine's Day to stay with Ayn and see Los Horridos over the weekend and then make our way, up 101, for a brief stop at Caparone and then to Villa Vicente, if Natasha and Boris will have us, on the night of Tuesday, the 20th. Let us know and we'll plan accordingly. View from where we are staying!  


Judy B Pratt You and Corinne are missed when are you returning?? Patrick James Dunn Hi Judy Blue! We miss you terribly as well! However, very, very comfortable with Jack Rabbitt and Filipo even if Gilliana had high score, 2,330, for three rounds of Chicago. However, Fab Filipo made a Small Slam, 6 Diamonds, with my hand holding all the points so The Sisterhood were extremely kranky! We plan to be back in Penticton by Sunday, February 24th so we should be available for bridge the following week. Fondestos from Lady Dar! Cheers! Patrick James Dunn Hi TNT! This beut butte is behind us, in Oak Creek, just 12 km south of Sedona. Rode there yesterday, shortly after we arrived, with more of these remarkable formations along the way! 



No comments:

Post a Comment