Saturday 24 February 2018

The Penguin Sings The Grand Slam Blues: Saturday, February 24th!

The most tyrannical of governments are those which make crimes of opinions, for everyone has an inalienable right to his thoughts. -Baruch Spinoza, philosopher (1632-1677)


Fresh Snow and cats! Etta investigating and Duke hiding behind the shovel clearly not going to help me!!! Hi Chloë and Snow Kittens! Great snaps of snow, paw-prints and non-shoveler! Bit of zoo here this morning what with Ashlynn shrieking. She had been up for much of the night so was understandably tired and kranky. Anyway, we had a great time talking to Beckster and Kid Chelene about Tamarindo, where they have this fabulous house, (Casa Lomas Del Mar: 

https://www.luxuryretreats.com/vacation-rentals/central-america/costa-rica/tamarindo/casa-lomas-del-mar-118331/?src=paid_ggms_centralamerica-costarica-villanames_casa-lomas-del-mar&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk9bC-YC_2QIVg2Z-Ch38HwVJEAAYASAAEgL8s_D_BwE

Look it up if you have not already seen it. Place is about a thirty minute walk from where we stayed so we suggested Patagonia, The Green Papaya, Shrimp Hole and La Pachanga, four of the restaurants we had wonderful meals at, along with The Night Market on Thursday evenings. Even gave them the last of our Colones, about $45 worth, so On-the-Halves Corey was more than pleased! Unfortunately, Kye/Ki, (?), has been suffering from something as he is not eating and has diarrhea so Corey has to take him to vet. He is worried that it is related to the operation he had a number of weeks ago. 
 

Lady Dar and Flamin' are off to the Home and Garden Show today. I'm going to head out to UBC to see Ted again, sadly, probably for the last time. I will be back in Vancouver on March 9th for the VWF malt tasting and Rugby 7's but I doubt that he will still be alive by then, given the progress of this terrible disease. This evening I have dinner and bridge with The Penguin, Johnny The Snooz and Ragin' Bull. Plan to return to gym to use elliptizer this afternoon after I'm back from UBC. Also, will pop into Reckless as I've discovered that I might be able to order a pannier rack for my Montague bike, stored in France, from them as they handle this brand. I'll need to use panniers as I will have to carry all I need for each of the two week-long cycle trips. Didn't need them back in 2013 as I was always riding from where we were staying or else the canal boat. Seems simpler to take part with me and attach it there rather than having to worry about finding it in France, or elsewhere, before first trip in May.
 

With drive back to Penticton tomorrow morning we are hoping snow will have let up, both in Fraser Valley and on Hope-Princeton. Lovely day here, today, sunny and melting, but rain is forecast for tomorrow. As long as it isn't freezing, should be fine. I gather it will be cold and cloudy/clear in Penticton so we'll just have to wait and see about Hope-Princeton. Sure glad we have snow tires! Love to you and Etta and Duke, Chloë. Cheers, Dad! Pics: Ashlynn and Avery; Andrew, fellow RCMP officer, in town on a course; Jambalaya Woman! Corey's pooch; Sendero Canyon Lovebirds! Poor hummingbirds outside window in Ted's room at St John's Hospice. Elaine with Sloane, Laura's daughter, with Ted, in background.

Hello Bridge Fiends! Sorry I haven't replied sooner, Janet, but we are on for tonight. Perhaps Ragin' passed along the fact that Johnny The Snooz will be the fourth. I plan to ring your buzzer around 5:00 pm, with wine and dessert in hand. Ragin' will handle hors d'oeuvres. Thanks again. Look forward to the evening. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Ragin's approach to fixing any computer problems! 

Contact Hi Hoping to hear about your Polish etc bike trips and a conversation in the future about Costa Rico Best to both Liz Hi Liz and Doug! As you can tell, I have attached the two brochures for bike trips as well as some of the snaps I took over last couple of days at the hospice. After Lady Dar dropped me off near Broadway and Arbutus late yesterday afternoon, she continued on to UBC to have another visit with Elaine and Ted. Such a terribly sad, sad, overwhelmingly difficult situation that it is almost impossible to understand and confront. Of course the love and support of such close, dear, dear friends such as you both offer has to bring incredible comfort and strength to Elaine, Stephanie, Laura and Christina, and the rest of the family. Over the course of your next visits please send our love and abiding affection to Elaine and squeeze Ted's hands for us. I trust, at some point in the not too, too distant future, we might have an opportunity to share our experiences in Costa Rica with you. As well, if you have any questions about the cycling trips don't hesitate to ask. Fondestos from Lady Dar, still abed. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Bike brochures; brave hummingbird; Elaine with Sloane; you both with Ted and then Elaine and Steph.
 
Awesome. Dinner is in the slow cooker. Branko I hear u are driving. See u around 5. Cards will be ready. J

Hello to my Favourite Vancouver Bridge Partners, et al! Foist and foremost, thanks to The Penguin for hosting such a wonderful, wonderful evening of dinner, [Saladin and chili were more than divine!], and bridge. Terrific to see Johnny the Snooz after so many years and trust he might well become a regular with the group, with or without me. Thanks, as well, of course, to Ragin' and The Snooz for the delicious appetizers and hootch. Only criticism, [other than normal bidding complaints!], I have is the shocking lack of bridge prizes, a situation which MUST be rectified next time! 
 
Finally, thank you Janet, for driving me home. All the best to everyone and I'll be in touch before I'm back for the March 9th weekend. If it works for people, perhaps we can arrange another get-together for one of the nights I'll be in town. I think I'll drive down on Thursday, March 8th so that evening or Saturday, March 10th, would be best for me, if anyone is interested. Fondestos from Lady Dar who would like to be included next time! All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio/Il Conduttore! PS: Please forward to Snoozola as I don't have this email address. Thanks! Pics: Ragin' is aghast at Patrizzio's bid. The Penguin holds all the cards! Johnny the Snooz is just glad to be back in the fold!

Hi! Patrizzio ............. Many thanks for updating me on your travels & pics. Thanks for the CNY greetings too!! Happy Year of the Dog! Love the Titi monkey. I don't recall seeing this small one when I was in Costa Rica. Saw & heard lots of Howler Monkeys.

I've been busy all week organizing, planning & hosting a birthday party for hubby's 75th birthday. WOW!! He's 3/4 of a century old. He's been pampered & spoiled all week with birthday lunches & dinners. I'm taking him to Panama for a week in the sun & beach and have included his daughter Wendy & her family of 4 to join us at the resort. We leave on Feb. 28 for a week in Panama, then 3 days in Toronto. Paul flys home on Mar. 12 & I will head to Hamilton to see my parents till Apr. 5th.
 

Lots of cold & snow here. Hubby is sooooooooooooooo ready to get away from the wintry conditions. Hopefully the sunny destination will make him happy :-) Pls note that I will have no access to my emails when I'm away from Feb. 27 till Apr. 6, so pls hold off sending me anything until I return back home. Continue on having a GREAT TIME in Costa Rica ................... give Corinne a BIG HUG from me. Keep on enjoying the sunshine, Mary Lee :-) Hello Panama Bound Folk! Trust you are both well! Thank you for the Chinese New Year of the Dog wishes!! Your trip to Panama sounds wonderful indeed. Happy Belated 75th to Paolo! For He's a Jolly Good Fellow! Hip Hip Hooray!


In fact, when I received your message we were already back in Vancouver, having left LA on Monday, February 19th, staying overnight with friends in Berkeley and Portland on way north. At any rate, just wanted to say hello and wish you and Birthday Boy Bon Voyage. Travel safely and enjoy yourselves. Will look forward to catching up in April. Take care of each other. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Bridge this evening with friends Johnny The Snooz, The Penguin and Ragin' Bull!

 
Woke up to a Vancouver winter wonderland. Before this big dump, trees were already budding and snow drops sprouting!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment