Monday 12 February 2018

Lady Dar Forces Patrizzio to Sing The Tlaquepaque Blues: Monday, February 12th!

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -Charles Darwin, naturalist and author (12 Feb 1809-1882)

Not up until just after 8:00 am to find everyone else glued to their respective screens, gloomily, as forecast is for rain. However, region really needs it as only two light showers since Gilliana and Phillipino arrived towards the end September. My deep gloom arises from he fact that my not-so trusty, new Garmin, stopped, frozen screen and all, twenty minutes into yesterday's ride. Catastrophe, indeed, Dear Reader! I'm hoping the Garmin Help Line, which I have used to good effect in the past, will be able to perform a miracle but I suspect not. Drat! In fact, when I received a call-back from Garmin, I was ecstatic to learn how to un-freeze the screen and am delighted to report that my Edge Touring is now alive and well! All I had to do was hold down the power button for a few seconds! I had pushed it on and off but not for long enough. Anyway, I am a happy camper now and won't have to drain what remains of the Tequila to drown my anticipated sorrows!

Hello Sun City Folk! Trust you are both well. Sorry it has taken me a few days to send along a thank-you for the wonderful, wonderful stay. We both enjoyed ourselves immensely, becoming acquainted with your community, from shopping at the estate sale to Harbor Freight, (quick-release clamps for me), to Target, (for Lady Dar), to the fascinating tours of the craft workshops, to the Scottsdale ArtWalk, to the marvellous meals and evenings together, not to mention the more than pleasant bike rides and homemade Limoncello and lemonade! I've been enjoying the Kirkland Tequila, [traded for Costa Rican rum!], and have freshly squeezed grapefruit juice in my water bottle when I cycle. [Both Lisbon and Meyer lemon and grapefruit trees in your yard!]

Album below gives you some idea of the surrounding area. Fondestos from Lady Dar, readying herself for our jaunt to Sedona. Want to do a bit of exploring around West Sedona as well. Must away as I's like to have a bit of breakfast. Thanks again, Louise and Henryk, for your more than generous hospitality and friendship. Happy welding, Fence Post Man! If you need any advice, ask Rosie-the-Riveter! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: High-tec Sun City! Low-tec Oak Creek! Pool Babe! Where's the pool here? Arrivederci! Have cactus...Will travel! If I put these tomatoes on Cagigi will I make enough to buy a welder on special!

good to hear from you - we were wondering why we hadn't seen an email since you left, but glad you guys are safe. So good to hear that you enjoyed your visit here as much as we did - you are easy guests :). Glad you are enjoying the Sedona area. It is beautiful. FYI - no more 'mum's the word', I had a call with Pam today and shared our good news. take care and safe travels. Louise and Henryk

Good morning Corinne and Patrick. I Have been enjoying your description of daily life on you travels in Costa Rica. It was a surprise to hear that you were visiting with Phil and Gil. How nice! and to see you around a table playing bridge...brought back good memories. Life here hasn't been as exciting as yours. I enjoyed the Scotties. It was great seeing Jennifer Jones play in person. and of course she won. Right now I am busy watching the Olympics . I especially like the figure skating, and snowboarding and skiing events.
 
Chloe and I did go to see the foreign film that you had left tickets for...It was ok but there were some technical difficulties and most of the subtitles did not display...it left a lot to the imagination. some disgruntled viewers left but we stuck it out thinking it was how it was supposed to be!!! I am still enjoying my job..Last night I worked my first concert...Old Dominion. It was an experience...and a bit of drama...A young girl getting sick and paramedics and ambulance on hand. Police presence and an arrest!!! I went in and watched from the sideline for awhile....
 
This weekend I am going to Vancouver to go wedding dress shopping with Vanessa and I am really excited about that as it will be a first for me!!
Hopefully the weather will be nice and it will really be a bonus. Right now it is cold and sunny which is how I love the winter here. I have a 6 month pass for Oranj so have been going quite a bit, mostly yoga. Bridge is also keeping me busy. I am going to the senior centre tomorrow and hosting a group at my place on Thursday afternoon. Well that is about all the news here. Hugs to you Phil and Gil ( if you are still there) Travel safely and looking forward to your return to Penticton Judy xoxo

Hi Judy it was so nice to get this newsy letter from you. We are still at Gill and Phil’s until tomorrow when we drive back to LA to spend another week and then will start for home. It is drizzling here today after a lovely day yesterday.
No coverage of Olympics as they do not have cable so getting news online.
Looking forward to being back in Penticton. Hugs Corinne
Hi Judy Blue! Let me echo Lady Dar's thanks for the news from Penticton. You do sound very busy. You might know that Chloë is off to Vancouver today to write her strata management  exam tomorrow. We are keeping our fingers crossed for her. Must away as we are soon off to Sedona and environs. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Last day for Titi monkeys in Manuel Antonio, around our hotel pool! Lady Dar waiting for shuttle; lightening my suitcase; Koi at our hotel near airport; LA Fireman Alex with proud Nana and Mom at Westchester Hall, near LAX. Ayn took us there after she collected us from airport, Super Bowl Sunday, day we flew from Costa Rica, just a short drive away. Love those monkeys 🙊 Thanks for update and photos Xo

Hello Okanagan Folk! Trust everyone is well. Enjoyed a wonderful stay in Sun City before driving here this past Saturday. [Palm Desert with friends, Lynne and Peter Lighthall, from Naramata before that.] We both enjoyed ourselves immensely, becoming acquainted with Sun City community. Fondestos from Lady Dar, readying herself for today's jaunt, while Jack Rabbit does the downward-facing dog. She and Filipo will take us on a mini-sightseeing  tour around Sedona/West Sedona. Will leave our car in the Sedona Public Library parking lot so that Lady Dar can Power Shop once we've seen the sights. The Spiller Road Folk find Uptown Sedona a bit like Kelowna. You don't go there unless you cannot avoid it! Happy Bidding and Happy Trails from The Oak Creek Foursome to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: This morning's yoga class!

Around 11:00 am we set off, Gilliana riding with us so that she could point out the sights. First to Schnebly Hill Vista Overlook where viewed Camel's Head, Snoopy, Hangover and Midden Ridge. The wind was howling so it was quite coolish to say the least, quite a change from yesterday, although it was not raining while we were there. Then on to West Sedona to park our car in the Sedona Public Library so we could go in one vehicle to Dry Creek Road to look at Bear Mountain and Fay Canyon. Rain really started to come down here so we were not able to go for even a short walk. Coming and going we passed Thunder Mountain, the highest peak hereabouts. Still, it was most interesting to see the incredible rock formations shrouded in mist and low cloud, many of the flat surfaces shiny with the rain. Back to West Sedona to the road to Red Rock Loop but there was very little to see, although Cathedral was just barely visible given the low overcast. This being the case, we returned to the library to pick up our car. Had decided to poke our heads inside and Philipo came along as he wanted to pick up some DVDs. The library hosts an Annual Quilt Show and there must have been 20 or more large quilts hanging from the ceiling, simply gorgeous designs.

Lady Dar picked up four books from the paperback sale rack and I found four CDs, at $2 each so both of us were quite pleased. On way back to Oak Creek we stopped in at Tlaquepaque Sedona's Arts & Crafts Village for half an hour or so. Much like the numerous galleries which line the streets of Scottsdale's ArtWalk, but fun to browse. I made money as I had two tasty cookies at one of the high-end jewelry stores and didn't spend a dime anywhere else. Liked one particular Navajo rug but felt it was too, too inexpensive, for Lady Dar's aristocratic taste, at only $25,000 USD! Back in the car to make a brief stop at The Chapel of the Holy Cross, a Roman Catholic chapel built into the buttes. It was raining reasonably heavily by this time so we quickly snapped a few pictures and then headed for home.

Once back, I started packing up the car as we want to leave reasonably early tomorrow morning. Turns out we won't be visiting Ed Hammond, Lady Dar's second cousin, in Carefree, so we'll be driving right to Tinsel Town. Had planned to go north to Flagstaff to catch I-40 west but there is fresh snow there now and Phillipo advised against it. It's a busy truck route and even with snow tires I don't want to have to worry about difficult conditions. Will now retrace our steps on I-17 South to a bit south of Camp Verde where we will take 169 through the Prescott Valley and the Prescott National Forest to rejoin I-10, near Brenda, just before Quartzite. Have never driven this route before and Philster said it is a very good highway. Anyway, looking forward to new territory. 

Must away as dinner is almost ready: sausages, baked yams, Brussels sprouts with bacon and Greek saladin.

Colleen Teahan Waldron Looks great...too bad it's not warmer and drier Patrick James Dunn When you have enough hootch it really doesn't matter what the air temperature happens to be! Ayn P Mom looks soggy and annoyed. Patrick James Dunn Nana is always annoyed, and veddy, veddy crabby, whether soggy or not! Here she was whining about the chilly wind, and I was wearing shorts and a tank top, working on my Summer Tan!

Thank you Patrick……reminds me a bit of summer in the Okanagan area with all the bluffs and cactus or is it cacti! Sure sounds like you are having a great holiday there. We are leaving soon for Utah however we are heading for the high country around SLC and the ski areas there. Friends and family meet every year and we ski the various ski areas……about 6 members of my family plus about a dozen or so more friends will be joining us. Praying for more snow as our conditions here are almost ideal so makes it hard to leave for another area….but its tradition and you know how that goes. I have been out on a few snow shoe and hiking trips this winter and even managed to get the a few of’s out skiing too. Winter is going by too quickly! Hi to one and all! Cheers…..Kilian

Hi Chloë, et al! Hope drive into Vancouver went well. We'll be thinking of you tomorrow when you write your exam. Played bridge after dinner, three rounds of Chicago and I am very unhappy to report that Jack Rabbit Slims won all the bridge prizes for high score, followed by Phillipo, then Patrizzio. Lady Dar stormed off before tallies were done! Must away as I'm sleepy. All the best on the morrow, Chloë. Love and Cheers, Dad/Patrizzio! Pics: Through he rain and mist; Library sculpture, painting exhibit and quilts; Chapel and surrounding buttes.

Hello fellow bridge players..unfortunately again I will not be able to join you on the 24th weekend. Most times I can play during the week but the weekends are tough for me to get away. I would really like to be able to host one of therse extravaganzas in the near future. Hopefully Pat will be able to make to Vancouver before he goes off to Europe..Thanks again Ed 

Hey Ed, (and all) Sorry to hear that. But, should our errant traveler actually be available one of those two dates, I will do my best, and I am pretty sure I can be successful, in finding a 4th. So for that specific weekend, 24th/25th, should Patriçio survive the Attack of the Killer Tatis, and actually be conscious and available, let’s go for it on the following terms. If it’s Saturday, Janet you host as insisted. If Sunday, I will host. and you enjoy the play, you can drop by the Loblaws at 16th and Arbutus on your way and pick up some cake & ice cream. I will vacuum, dust and clean my bathroom. So all rests at the mercy of the guy having the most fun right now. Who said, “life was fair”?
 
In the longer term. I would love to have a core of bridge players, to get together for the occasional, or more often. evening of socializing, food, drink and of course Bridge. Despite my fantasies I would like to socialize more - Angelina, to be honest, is getting a bit tired of being “blow off”. ANYWAY, off to bed for me. I drive my daughter to YVR at 7am for a flight to Hawaii, and inherit custody of her dog for a couple of weeks. Pic enclosed ...Branko 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment