Monday 15 May 2017

Falcon Lake Fontainebleau Blues: Monday, May 15th

When you re-read a classic, you do not see more in the book than you did before; you see more in yourself than there was before. -Clifton Fadiman, editor and critic (15 May 1904-1999)


Up at just after 8:00 am having enjoyed a wonderful sleep on the futon in Sun Room, lulled to sleep by the soft purr of the two wine fridges when I turned in last night, feeling pretty tired after the long day of early travel from Vancouver and then the drive to Falcon.

Hello Wildwood Park People! Thanks for your condolences about Dusty. Also thanks for the wonderful, wonderful  pictures and Mother's Day card! However, I think you have been reading too, too many children's books to Kellan!

Photo: Dave Weller
As you will discover, should you read on, we fly back to Vancouver on Friday, at 5:05 pm. This being the case we were wondering if you might be around for a visit and/or a chance to meet Kellan. Lady Dar's brother, George, has very kindly offered to drive us into Winnipeg. If you will be at home, he'd drop us at your place, have a visit for a couple of hours or so and then we'd either strong-arm you into taking us to the airport or call a cab. We'd like to see you but if scheduling doesn't mesh don't worry and we'll plan to go straight to the airport. Anyway, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly.

Things are going pretty well here and the minister taking the funeral on Wednesday, was just here to discuss service with Clara and the family. I've even managed to scrounge a bike so plan to go for a ride shortly. Fondestos to you and Sally from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio!

OK Patrizzio, I'll talk to Sally to see if she can book some time off work on Friday. I'm not optimistic since her E.C.E. can't operate properly without her.
I'll also call Kaitlyn and find out if she can come over with the joy boy for a visit with y'all. I'll let you know who can attend ASAP. If they decline the invitation, you might decide to by-pass the demolition zone, (a.k.a our house), and head straight for the airport. 



Anyway, Kaitlyn and Kellan came over on Mother's Day, and took their usual weekly stroll through the park with Grandma Sally. By the way, Kellan has doubled his weight in less than 3 months. I may have told you that his head size and body length measure in the 97th percentile for infants his age, so he's off to a good start in life. I'll leave you with this music by Nashville's Little Big Town.
(Gotta' love the rhythmic mandolin, never mind the lead singer's stiletto heels). F.

https://youtu.be/E2gK1mLbJKE?list=PL72pX6z0kZx2q1r86k0LRGg3T2TcMR1t6


In order to ready Grog's Dad's bike, this morning Giorgio brought over a can of WD-40. Trek had not been ridden in years and so chain and gears were a bit rusty. In addition, seat was too low for me so I hoped to be able to loosen the throat of the saddle. However, couldn't even budge it with a pipe wrench so I was set to take off with Dusty's one speed when Giorgio very kindly offered me the use of his mountain bike. He'd not ridden his in a bit but all he needed to do was put some air in the tires and I was set to go.
 

Left at just after 11:30 am and since the bike is outfitted with nice wide tires I decided to ride up Falcon Creek Road to scope out the overflow campground there as well as the relatively large collection of dwellings where quite a few service personnel, [parks, police, hydro, etc.], for the area, and their families live. I'd not ridden there for many years, ever since I've been bringing my Trek, as the road isn't paved and has some pretty loose gravel patches in spots. This time I went right to the highway and had I been so inclined, I could have made a loop back to Ace Bay by so doing. Last time I was there, there was no access to the Trans Canada.

On way back to the road leading to the South Shore, I came across two deer, my first sightings of the visit. Quite enjoyed not having my odometre along as I didn't have to worry about my AVG speed and I just sailed along, soaking up the lovely day. Once past the small causeway, I turned right onto another gravel road, off the main paved thoroughfare, as, once again, I'd not ridden this section in years. About two or three kilometres later, it intersects with the paved road, but while I was on it, it was completely free of other traffic so I could hear bird song and the wind soughing through the trees.

Another five kilometres or so past this intersection, one runs out of tarmac and it is here that I usually turn around. However, I wanted to revisit the "ski hill", [More a bump rather than a hill of any elevation, compared to mountain slopes, of course!], where the road terminates, so I continued onto the graded gravel road leading to the Falcon Trails Resort. This consists of a large building where conferences, seminars, and the like, can be held, along with a number of smaller cabins for holiday bookings. The bottom of the skill hill is just beyond, down a small slope to a large parking area.

Chap with a front-end loader was doing some excavation work but other than that there was nobody around, although there were a number of cars and pick-ups parked in front of the lodge. Once I was back on the macadam I sailed along and had decided that instead of making for West Hawk, I'd do a run around the town-site and then return to do another South Shore Loop. I was not prepared to face the strong headwind, out of the SE, on the way back from WH to Falcon so opted for the more sheltered South Shore run. Since I had dipsy-doodled a fair bit on first part of ride I didn't need to do anything but cycle to where the pavement ended and return. Did just that, seeing my third White-Tailed doe, just past the causeway. Lovely creatures but I'm still wary of passing them as on never knows if they will bound out in front of you, spooked by something. Safely past, I turned onto Fairway Crescent and pulled into Ace Bay at 2:30 pm. A great outing, indeed, inasmuch as I had never even expected to ride while here.

Given calibration I've honed over many visits I calculate that I rode somewhere between 51 and 61 km. Somewhat difficult to assign an AVG speed but since I was out for 3 and a half hours I think it was probably between 16-18 kph. Delighted! Delighted! Delighted! Pic shows Giorgio's bike which enabled today's outing. Thanks Uncle George!


Hi Sir Andrew and Dragon Boat Woman! Thank you both for the beyond lovely evening. I'm sorry we didn't enjoy your hot tub but perhaps over the next few days! See you both soon for bbq'd venison as Spumoni killed three fawns on the way home! Lady Dar is currently making sausage, infused with garlic, Feta and sun-dried tomatoes as I scribe. Cheers, Patrizzio!


No comments:

Post a Comment