Monday 29 May 2017

Stain The New Step-Stool Blues: Monday, May 29th!

Hello Duhlink, et al! Trust all went well in Squamish. Costco list should include dish detergent, mayonnaise, peanut butter, Clamato juice, creamy Feta. As well, perhaps you should pick up some chicken thighs or other selection of choice, to bbq for either/both Book Club and Bridge Group.

Hi Corinne, Pat, hope you are both doing well, it's been a while since we last talked. Things are looking better here in Vancouver as we are slowly emerging from the extremely extended winter blues, but instead of gradually easing us into the summer heat, we are getting temperatures of 24 and up. No complaints though, I can finally dust off my bike and use some quality "chain cleaner" (aka the type of whiskey I bring to Pat as gifts and will continue to do). I've already gotten out for some short rides around town and few things beat being on a bike when it's nice and warm. When life is simple it is often good.

I am still completing my Masters (at this rate it might as well be a PhD) and should be done the end of the year, but I'm working a lot more (I am still at my co-op job but they gave me an extension for the summer) so that's the main reason I am still a lothario : )

Corinne, I am also emailing because I heard from Patrick jr. about your dad. I'm so sorry and I send you my best wishes and condolences. I am happy to have had the honour of meeting and breaking bread with your dad on more than one occasion whenever I would come over for dinner. From what I know about his life, he was an amazing and talented person, and I would still love to buy one of his paintings. He seemed so healthy and full of vitality all the times I saw him, so it is definitely a sad shock to hear about this, he seemed to be the type of person that could live well into his 100s. I hope you are doing as well as you can be Corinne and if there's anything I can be of help with, just let me know.

Until the next time, I hope you have a great summer and hopefully talk soon Take care, VL
Hi Victor, thanks so much for your message regarding my dad. Any plans to come out this way for a visit? Sounds like you are a busy man. The end of the year will be here before you know it and you will be in the real work world. Thanks again for staying in touch, Best Corinne

Hello Swedish Twins, aka Lothario and Fjord Man! Thank you for your kind thoughts and sympathy, Vittorio and for your always engaging and enjoyable calls, Patrizzio, The Younger. Fondestos from The Marriage Officiant to you both. Stay well. Onward! Fight!!! Cheers, Patrizzio!

  
Dear Patrick Thanks for lovely dinner. We are on our way. Weather is perfect--will meander along Naramata Bench -- want to check out my brother's property beside Howling Bluff. Then it is back to Vancouver and reality. We have definitely had a splendid trip. Loved the drives and nice to take our time.

Colin's mom is now out of hospital and is back home. The doctor wisely put her hip back in place and is going to see how she goes. She says she is not in pain. This is a better option than having surgery especially given her age 92. We will go over to be with her Thursday night. Anyways have a great time riding today--don't get dehydrated. Keep in touch and perhaps we will see you when you come to Vancouver. If not be sure to have a wonderful drive to California and good wishes to your grandson and his bride. Lots of love for now Jo-Anne and Colin


Naslunds are driving back to Vancouver today although I had a note from Jo-Anne and before that they are going to take a look at her brother's expensive, view property near Howling Bluff! He's a dentist in Edmonton! 

Hi Weary Travelers! Trust you are home safely and back, hard at work, Miss Marps! Thank you for your last note but especially for the terrific visit. Thank so much, it goes without saying, for all the lovely wine and especially the gorgeous hanging basket. I have put it on back patio, for now, and Lady Dar can decide where she'd like it once home. We'd like to take a look at your brother's property, at some point, just for fun. You should stay there next time and we can be The Freeloaders! Pleased to hear that Colin's Mom's hip seems to have been righted. No small worry, especially at her age, as you mention!

Again, wonderful to see you both, at long last. You'll certainly have to come back to sit on our back patio and sip
Rosé with Lady Dar, a cat on each of your laps, while Colin and I stroll down to Cannery Brewing to deal with the heat in our own way! Fondestos to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Shortly after I had finished my watering chores I was thinking about a bite to eat and there was a knock on front door. Turned out it was a courier with latest release from Orofino. I knew that my credit card had been charged but I either missed announcement of  pick-up party or else there wasn't one. Anyway, you'll be pleased as there are three bottles of Cab Franc Rosé as you are
mad for Rosé in the hot weather!
 
Your Watchtower Women were just by and you must attend their convention in June. I signed you up! Only $1,000 but I don't need the single malt anyway! Must away, as I want to ride to OK Falls and forecast suggests there may well be showers and/or a thunderstorm later this afternoon. Have to say I actually don't mind a tad more rain after all this hot, hot weather. That being said, house is very comfortable and spare bedroom is noticeably cool. Kittens are pretty lethargic around 11:00 am as they obviously feel the heat.

Having Spiller Road Folk and Judy Blue for one table this evening and then Olga Polga and Naramata Goil tomorrow. Much love to one and all. Hello to Clan Sutherland, if you are still talking to Flamin', Lady Dar! Travel safely and we'll be waiting for your arrival tomorrow. Both Etta and Duke want me to take over watering chores as they mentioned I'm more fun! Cheers, Patrizzio!


PS: Lovely sympathy note from Victor, [see above],as you probably have read:

Pics: Front Patio with GT's! Choice of whites! Freeloaders! Duke worrying a beetle that escaped under planter! Etta guarding hanging basket! Orofino! Driver said he made sure delivery was just in time for breakfast! My kind of chap!

Hello Big City Goil! Where was your Book Club? Just a quick note before I head to bed to read. Duke is fussing at the patio door, giving little growls as he paws the window, wanting to go out. Miss Etta came bopping in the front  door when I rustled the crunchies bag but I had to lure Duke with a soccer ball and my floss. I took advantage of brushing and flossing while I was alone!

I think you should also buy the package of five or so Romaine lettuce, avocadoes, Parmesano and any other cheese you might desire. Bacon, if you want some and Sensodyne toothpaste. Those vegetable crisps, (beets, yams, and such), and the straws, for me, as I know you are not partial to them. Pizza crusts?

Enjoyed a very pleasant table of bridge this evening. We only played three rounds, with a different partner each time, and then then everyone felt it was time to go, just after 9:00 pm. Fine with me as it had been a busy day. Went for a fabulous ride to OK Falls but did a series of my regular routes beforehand. Wanted to take a look at Lakeshore and it reminded me more of the Seawall around Stanley Park as water is almost lapping the sidewalk! Judy was talking to a city worker somewhere today and she said that they are worried about some very strong winds predicted for either Wednesday or Thursday. The resulting wave action could be very devastating. As well, much/most of the sand will be gone when water recedes so more time and expense for city.

On my way to OK Falls I circled around Skaha Lake Park and it was quite busy. Beach there is completely unaffected so I guess it will be busier than ever until Lakeshore is repaired.  Almost came to grief as there were so many well-endowed, bikini-clad babes sunning that I almost had a serious encounter with a stanchion! Fortunately, ever since Big Al did run afoul of a nasty stanchion, on the Seawall, near Plaza of Nations, lo these many years ago, I have been cycling with the StanchOmeter, a gizmo he quickly devised after almost losing his manhood. He gave me the Beta model for my 65th birthday, if I recall correctly! Only disadvantage is that the alarm sound is a wolf-whistle so the bronzing babes think I'm ogling them, [Not Googling them, Dear Reader!], when I ride by!


At any rate, by the time I hit Eastside the wind had changed direction and was now out of the South. I didn't mind as I'd rather have it behind me on return leg. Day was absolutely gorgeous and I certainly enjoyed the green hills as I breezed along. Did the Oliver Ranch Road/Stag's Hollow Loop before heading back and was chuffed that I had a nice push from the wind as I was expecting to battle it all the way home when I started. Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1767168683#.WS0FSTlBCwE.email

Back home by 5:15 pm so I had to be a tad sharpish about showering and changing and then having dinner, all delicious overlefts  Topped the remains of yesterday's salad with three sausages that were from Saturday's dinner. Judy was first to arrive and we had a pleasant chat before Jack Rabbit and Phillipo knocked. Judy won't be playing tomorrow so you need to be here in plenty of time to have a nap before you play! You can snooze on patio. Duke likes sleeping on the carpet under the table. Not sure where Miss Etta was when I was away although she started out on the chairs around the fire-pit.

Had this note from David! [See below.] Too bad, of course, but he won't listen! Am I correct in believing that we are hosting a potluck bridge night on Tuesday, June 6th? I think we decided that when we last played at Olga Polga's. Where are you staying tonight? Hello to one and all. Love, Patrizzio! Pics: Beach towel grooming! One table!

  

We are now back and yes it was nice to see your bare feet and also Birkenstocks:-). Osoyoos was a big disappointment. They messed up everything including our suite, long story. After the big lunch and the disappointing room we decided to eat in. The weather was miserable so I guess the lousy room was OK. We will not be returning there again BUT maybe another hotel there so we will keep you updated. The play was wonderful. We sat in the first row which was incredible with performers close to stepping on my Birkenstocks many times!! Yes, give me a firm date for your visit!!.............Dave 

Hi Birkenstock Boy and Long-Suffering Patrizzia! Pleased to hear you are home safely but sorry to learn that the stay in Osoyoos was so disappointing. I'm surprised about the weather as that region is usually much drier and warmer than Penticton, basically the Canadian equivalent of Palm Springs! However, glad that Ashland was wonderful. Was it a Shakespeare play or something else?

With respect to our coming visit I will be leaving Penticton on Wednesday, June 28th, to collect Sarge in Vancouver and then we will drive to Portland for the night. We had planned to drive straight to Healdsburg on the 29th, arriving somewhere around 7:00 pm, perhaps earlier, depending on traffic, etc. With two drivers this should not be a problem and if Sarge is at the wheel for most of the journey, we may be there the day before! For an ex-Mountie he doesn't seem to worry about speed limits!!! Anyway, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly.

 
Lady Dar is back later tomorrow afternoon so I must away to dig compost into the vegetable patch extension otherwise I'll be in trouble. Thanks again for the terrific visit. Fondestos to Patrizzia and to the Perpetually Grumpy, Birkenstock-wearing Winemaker! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics:
Etta is getting her beach towel ready for Zuma Beach while Duke is practicing for palm tree climbing in LA! A Rare Coffaro! I sold it on eBay for $1.2 million CDN, [only $75,000 USD], so I am now the proud owner of a Tesla! We can have drag races on East Dry Creek!!!


Hi Maggie! I must really apologize for not replying to a much earlier message in which you asked about recovery time from hip-surgery. [Each person is different and from what you say, your deterioration appears far worse than mine so not sure how this will affect recovery. For my part, with both hips, once I had the go-ahead, and incision was healed I could start with stationary biking and deep-water walking, with a flotation belt, two to three weeks after surgery. 


Generally speaking, three months is the usual recovery period and then it's back to normal activity. That being said, I still need to work on flexibility but I was never very flexible to begin with. Lady Dar reminds me of this mental shortcoming all the time!] I think it came shortly before we learned of Corinne's Father's death on May 5th. Sad, of course, but he died just two days past his 93rd birthday so he had a very full, long long productive life. We flew back to Winnipeg on Sunday, May 14th adn the funeral was on Wednesday, May 17th, at Falcon Lake where her Mother will still live, for the next little while, at least. George, Corinne's brother, and his wife, Barb, live next door so are there to help as needs be.
Again, I'm pleased you are on waiting list for surgery but sorry you are in such discomfort, especially when it limits your busy, active life. You'll just have to come to Penticton to sit on our back patio and sip
Rosé with Lady Dar, a cat on each of your laps! Fondestos to you and Frank. Take care of yourself, Maggie May. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: FM this past Saturday: Jake Snyder, from United! Leigh and Shelley, vendors we've come to know.


Hi Weary Travelers! Trust you are home safely and back, hard at work, Miss Marps! Thank you for your last note but especially for the terrific visit. Thank so much, it goes without saying, for all the lovely wine and especially the gorgeous hanging basket. I have put it on back patio, for now, and Lady Dar can decide where she'd like it once home. Yesterday, was guarding it, curled up on a near-bye chair! We'd like to take a look at your brother's property, at some point, just for fun. You should stay there next time and we can be The Freeloaders! Pleased to hear that Colin's Mom's hip seems to have been righted. No small worry, especially at her age, as you mention!


Monday morning, shortly after I had finished my watering chores I was thinking about a bite to eat and there was a knock on front door. Turned out it was a courier with latest release from Orofino, in Keremeos. I knew that my credit card had been charged but I either missed announcement of pick-up party or else there wasn't one. Anyway, knew Lady Dar would be extremely pleased as there were three bottles of Cab Franc Rosé in shipment! She's mad for Rosé in the hot weather and your bottle awaits her arrival. Thanks again for your generosity!

Her Watchtower Women were by a few minutes later, [Lovely, older ladies and we always have a nice chat.], and she must attend their convention in June! I signed her up! Only $1,000 but I don't need the single malt anyway! Sorry Colin!

Enjoyed a very pleasant table of bridge that night. We only played three rounds, with a different partner each time, and then everyone felt it was time to go, just after 9:00 pm. Fine with me as it had been a busy day. Went for a fabulous ride to OK Falls but did a series of my regular routes beforehand. Wanted to take a look at Lakeshore and it reminded me more of the Seawall around Stanley Park as water is almost lapping the sidewalk! Judy Blue, (one of bridge players), was talking to a city worker earlier in the day and she said that city officials are worried about some very strong winds predicted for either Wednesday or Thursday. The resulting wave action could be very devastating. As well, much/most of the beach sand will be gone when water recedes so more time and expense for city.

On my way to OK Falls I circled around Skaha Lake Park and it was quite busy. Beach there is completely unaffected so I guess it will be busier than ever until Lakeshore is repaired.
Almost came to grief as there were so many well-endowed, bikini-clad babes sunning that I almost had a serious encounter with a stanchion! Fortunately, ever since close cycling friend, Big Al, did run afoul of a nasty stanchion, on the Seawall, near Plaza of Nations, lo these many years ago, I have been cycling with the StanchOmeter, a gizmo he quickly devised after almost losing his manhood. He gave me the Beta model for my 65th birthday, if I recall correctly! Only disadvantage is that the alarm sound is a wolf-whistle so the bronzing babes think I'm ogling them, [Not Googling them!], when I ride by!

At any rate, by the time I hit Eastside the wind had changed direction and was now out of the South. I didn't mind as I'd rather have it behind me on return leg. Day was absolutely gorgeous and I certainly enjoyed the green hills, noting the the verdant pastures and orderly vineyards on the various benches, as I breezed along. Did the Oliver Ranch Road/Stag's Hollow Loop before heading back and was chuffed that I had a nice push from the wind as I was expecting to battle it all the way home when I started.
Back home by 5:15 pm so I had to be a tad sharpish about showering and changing and then having dinner, all delicious overlefts. Topped the remains of Sunday's salad with three sausages that were from Saturday's dinner. Judy was first to arrive and we had a pleasant chat before Jack Rabbit and Phillipo knocked.

Must away, as I want to dig compost into the vegetable patch extension otherwise I'll be in trouble! As well, forecast suggests there may well be showers and/or a thunderstorm later this afternoon. Great, as I won't have to water! Have to say I actually don't mind a tad more rain after all this hot, hot weather. That being said, house is very comfortable and spare bedroom is noticeably cool, even though we haven't put on air-conditioner. Kittens are pretty lethargic around 11:00 am as they obviously feel the heat. Having another table of bridge this evening with Olga Polga and Naramata Goil.

Again, wonderful to see you both, at long last. You'll certainly have to come back to sit on our back patio and sip Rosé with Lady Dar, a cat on each of your laps, while Colin and I stroll down to Cannery Brewing to deal with the heat in our own way! Fondestos to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Front Patio with GT's! Choice of whites! Freeloaders! Etta guarding hanging basket! Orofino! Driver said he made sure delivery was just in time for breakfast! My kind of chap! Duke saying goodbye to Lady Dar on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment