Thursday 18 May 2017

South Shore Scattering of Ashes Blues: Thursday, May 18th!


A king can stand people fighting but he can't last long if people start thinking. -Will Rogers, humorist (4 Nov 1879-1935) 




Life is a foreign language; all men mispronounce it. -Christopher Morley, journalist, novelist, essayist, and poet (5 May 1890-1957)  


Didn't hear so much as a word when Gavin left before 7:00 am this morning. Giorgio was driving him into Winnipeg to catch his flight back to Ottawa. I had said goodbye to him, last night, before I went to bed, well before everyone else, around 10:30 pm, I think, but had thought I'd be up to wish him well again. Nevertheless, I was only out of bed by 7:30 am and shortly after I zapped my java, Mighty Grigor came downstairs so I put on a fresh pot for him and we chatted for almost an hour before Lady Dar, then Spumoni joined us.
 
Am hoping I'll be able to go for a ride today as the sky is blue and the sun is shining. However, have to coordinate it with rest of family as there has been some talk of scattering Dusty's ashes from the dock of close friends on the South Shore.

Hi Ragin'! Trust you are well and that our car is still in one piece. Things have gone very well here, with respect to funeral service, yesterday, and other arrangements so things are settling down a bit now. At any rate, just to let you know, Sarge will be collecting us from the airport tomorrow so you are off the hook for chauffeuring. Thanks anyway. We might ring your doorbell to say hello and goodbye, if you will be home. If not, will be in touch once back in Penticton. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: My Falcon Lake Trek! Yesterday morning, leaving for church to set-up for service; one of Dusty's latest paintings; Clara back home after service.

Hi Sarge, Flamin' and JT! Trust everyone is fine. With respect to Harbour Terrace Chauffeur Service, Sarge, we were wondering if you would like us to take SkyTrain to King Edward and Cambie, rather than have you have to face long-weekend traffic, on Oak or Granville, as opposed to collecting us from the airport tomorrow. Lady Dar is out with the rest of The Sisterhood having brunch at a local spot so I don't have flight information but will send it along later today, although I think she gave it to you before we left. Let me know what you think. Anyway, will be in touch later to confirm pick-up location and time. Thanks. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Left the house about half an hour after The Sisterhood departed for The Nest, for brunch, and made for the South Shore. Was glad I'd worn one of Dusty's hooded sweatshirts as the wind was out of the North at around 17 kph and although it was bright and sunny it was very chilly, especially coming off the lake when I crossed the open causeway. Once into the trees, it was not as uncomfortable but my hands were quite cold and I was regretting I'd not put on the pair of driving clothes, belonging to Dusty, that Clarisse had given to me shortly before I left. At any rate, I warmed up by the time I reached the end of the paved section and on the return leg I decided I'd investigate the numerous Fire Roads leading off the main thoroughfare.

Even though they have a decent gravel surface, I'd not ridden them on my Trek, and I wanted to take the opportunity to take a look at the cabins, or mansions, as the case might be, these roads provide access to. Most of these access roads go in a loop so I'd ride past the north exit until I came across the south entrance and then loop back to the South Shore Road on a given Fire Road. Repeated this process all the way along, to just before the causeway, on both sides of SSR but more often on the lake side, and was certainly pleased I'd opted to explore. Came across a tremendous amount of construction going on, both new dwellings and renovation, and the number of stunning homes that I passed was simply remarkable, to say the least.


Once near Ace Bay I decided I'd ride around the town-site and as I was headed towards the Lakeshore Campground I came across The Sisterhood power walking. As I passed I asked when they planned to head out to scatter Dusty's ashes and Chloë shouted that they would be doing so shortly so commanded me to head home. 

Decided I'd turn around at the entrance to the campground and then head back to Ace Bay. Did that and when I was in front of the A-frame Giorgio pulled into the driveway. He said The Goils weren't back yet so I decided I'd put on a few more k's so did the town-site loop once again, although this time I headed into the campground to ride to the end of the last bay of camping spots and then back out. Then, before going home I rode to the underpass leading to the Trans Canada, for a bit more distance, and then it was the last stretch before hitting Fairway Crescent and home. Once back, I discovered that we wouldn't, in fact, be leaving shortly as many were having showers and then changing. Tad annoyed as I could have ridden another South Shore Loop. Nevertheless, with all my Fire Road dipsy-dooodles and some of the town-site meanderings, I believe I still clocked over 51 km so pleased with both the outing and the exercise.

Once the gang were all assembled, around 3:30 pm, we bundled into cars and drove to the Marina on the South Shore where we parked and then walked a short distance to a small wooden bridge which is at the start of the Marsh Boardwalk, a very pleasant appropriate place to scatter Dusty's ashes. [He and Clara had often walked here, of an evening.] Pamela had brought along one of Dusty's garden trowels and she put a scoop of ashes on it to give to each of us, taking turns to scatter them over the water of the calm, open channel there. Although it had been quite windy earlier, there was almost no breeze, at all, while we were there so it was a lovely departing.

Back into our respective vehicles to drive back home where the process will be repeated, this time in both Dusty's raspberry patch and in his flower garden. Corinne and I will take a small portion of these remains back with us to scatter off the Seawall as he and Clara loved to walk there when we lived at Harbour Terrace. Corinne will scatter another small amount over the part of our flower planter at the front of our house where she planted tulip bulbs Dusty had given us two summers ago. They have come up, beautifully, ever since. A wonderful reminder of such a wonderful, wonderful man! 


Hi Sarge! We are arriving on WestJet flight, WS 697, leaving Winnipeg at 5:05 pm, and scheduled to arrive in Vancouver at 6:03 pm. Haven't heard from you and still wondering if you would like us to take SkyTrain to King Edward and Cambie, rather than have you have to face long-weekend traffic, on Oak or Granville, as opposed to collecting us from the airport tomorrow. Let me know what you think. We will phone as soon as we are off the plane Thanks. Cheers, Patrizzio!  


Hello, This is just a reminder that you have signed up for 2 spots for the 9:45am En Primeur tasting at our winery on Saturday, May 20th. If your plans have changed and you can no longer attend, please let us know. We look forward to seeing you! Dick Hi Dick! We will be there for the tasting at 9:45 am on Saturday. Thanks for the reminder. Cheers, Patrizzio!  

Hi Patrick. I can pick u up. Let me know what time. Cheers. Hi JT! Thanks very much for the offer to pick us up. Originally, Sarge said he would collect us and we have confirmed that that will happen. Furthermore, thanks so much, again, for allowing us to stay in your lovely place. I'm sorry we won't see you in person this time around but I trust we will at some point this summer. 

Have even managed to go for three rides on Corinne's brother's bike and garbed in Dusty's clothes. 

Fondestos from Lady Dar, already in bed, as she is still fighting a nasty cold. Think she is simply exhausted with everything. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Chloë scattering her grandfather's ashes from the boardwalk this afternoon. Rosita scattering Dusty's ashes in his raspberry patch this evening. Siblings this evening. How lovely. Dusty would be so happy with his family.


Patriçio, Your car is not only in one piece, but has provided a much needed source of income! I had no idea that a slightly dilapidated heritage home in Kits, with fungus covered trees and a huge pile of junk in the back yard, would be such a desirable wedding “destination” I have performed 3 wedding just this week with another couple booked and the phone is ringing off the hook. So, please, no hurry to return from Winnipeg! If you do, let me know the time you may be ringing my bell - so I can be at home, or more important, reschedule 2 weddings. Good to hear things went well in Winnipeg given the circumstances.  

I have confirmed the use of Rebecca's truck for a short foray into Penticton to pick up the afore mentioned cabinet - not to mention the historic meeting between the canine and the felines! We’ll set this up when you return home. Don’t worry about the flooding - the truck as you know is raised and as long as the water is below the top of the guest bed, we’ll be fine! see you mañana I hope. Pic: Just a typical Spring evening on Spanish Banks. See what your missing?                        Hi Two Funerals and a Wedding! This, in fact, describes the movie version of our family as my brother-in-law's father died three days after Dusty and his funeral will be next week. Alejandro, our youngest grandson will be married this July. Lady Dar can fill you in on any procedural details when you come to collect the cabinet! Sarge said he would collect us and we have confirmed that that will happen so hope to see you, briefly, around 6:30 pm or a tad later. Cheers, Patrizzio!




No comments:

Post a Comment