Saturday 27 May 2017

Front Yard Back Yard Watering Can Blues: Saturday, May 27th!

Hello Belize Babe and Abandoned Al! Trust you are both well, Carefree Colleen cavorting in the jungle, Stanchion Man slaving away, as always! Have enjoyed the various snaps of your trip, Marilyn, and am parrot green with envy, you lucky, lucky lady! Of course, you deserve the experience after all you considerable hard work and discipline. Bravo!!! 

Jugos came by yesterday, after his morning golf game, around 1:00 pm. to help me figure out what goes where. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the necessary plug-ins so I cycled to The Source. $101.88 later, I had what I needed. What a drag as that represents a decent bottle of single malt! Anyway, each component, (turn-table, CD player, radio), is now working and when you next visit, you'll be able to listen, from the curb, to vinyl that you first heard when you were still in diapers!


Just heard a news report about Intersection Winery, out of Oliver, and some of their vineyards were completely under water! We happen to know one of the owners.] Must away as I have to water plants in front yard and on back patio. Then a stroll to Farmers' Market then a bike ride. I have my own set of priorities, you see! Fondestos from Lady Dar, in absentia, but whose spirit is ever-present, to one and all. [She called last night and drive to Vancouver went well, although much construction on Hope-Princeton so a number of fairly lengthy waits.] Cheers, Patrizzio!

You're Invited ConGradulations and welcome home Surprise party
Hi Big Al! Both Lady Dar and I are extremely disappointed that we cannot make the bash you have planned for the return of Belize Woman! Unfortunately, our schedule won't allow another trip into Vancouver, no matter how brief. All the best for now. Cheers, Patrizzio!

See you Monday 😊thanks for doing all the scheduling Patricio. Judy Thanks Patrick for organizing. Phil and I will be there Monday Hello Bridge Delinquents! Judy Blue and Spiller Road Gang, (aka Into Thin Air People), have been good girls and boy and have confirmed Monday's game. Tuesday folk, please confirm, one way or 'tother. Off to Farmers' Market now! Cheers, Excel Spreadsheet Patrizzio! I am in for Tuesday👍😊Although Wednesday is the best day for me I think I can make it on Tuesday as well. Hugs, Olly


Hi Calgarians! Trust trip continues to go well. Just wondering what time to expect you on Sunday. Anytime is fine with me but if you have a rough idea then I can set dinner preparations in motion. You can also give a shout at our home number. I assume you have our street address. Let me know if you need further detailed instructions but very easy. I assume you will be coming into Penticton, off 97, which turns into Eckhardt. Stay on latter until you pass lights on Main Street. High School will be on your right and we are four of five streets towards Government. Turn left onto Burns and we are the second house from the corner of White, on your left. If you miss that turn, turn left on Government, at lights, and then left again on White and Burns is second street on left. I'm sure you will be fine. I'll send out Etta and Duke on a rescue mission if you are not here by midnight! They will have plenty of energy as they'll have eaten your dinner! Off to Farmers' Market now! Travel safely, Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick I expect we will be in Penticton around 5:00-6:00 pm. I will call once we are close by. Thanks so much for the instructions regarding finding your house. Really look forward to seeing you, Corinne, Etta and Duke! Lovely drive today--such great weather! Mountains have been fantastic. You must have had a great ride even though you were going to get turntable components. See you soon. Cheers Jo-Anne and Colin

Hi Mountain Gazers! Glad the weather is cooperating and allowing such spectacular views of mountains, etc. Timing is well nigh perfect. When you do call, please let it ring as I may well be arranging books in Rumpus Room and might need a bit of time to clamber down step-ladder! Did you call in the evening? When I picked up phone I could hear background noise and display said "Call Waiting" from you! Anyway, just curious.

Yes, ride on Friday was most pleasant but not as wonderful as yesterday's outing. Started off the morning walking down to the Farmers' Market and enjoyed seeing various friends and many of the vendors we've come to know. Back home to suit up for a ride. Although the wind was not all that strong, out of the North at around 11 kph, I decided I'd keep fairly close to home and do the PTC/Middle Bench/Upper Bench Loop. Ordinarily I've had headed for either Summerland or Naramata to have the wind behind me on return leg but since it was the weekend knew both of those routes would be very busy, 97 with holiday traffic and trucks, Naramata Road choc-a-block with wine-tasters.

Anyway, once down by the Penticton Tennis Club I noticed all the sandbagging that surrounded parts of the marina as well as a large Grade-All excavator and dump trucks with a crew working to repair the near-bye break-water. Okanagan Lake is still rising and I heard from Leigh, one of the FM vendors who lives in Summerland, about the extensive flooding there. When I described my regular route there she said much of the road which borders the lake is under water and many of the lamp posts are leaning over, as there foundations have been compromised. Most of the docks are completely submerged so damage is considerable. This has happened within the last week as I rode there on Victoria Day and noticed not a thing.

Also happened to bump into Phantom Fantini, [aka John Fantini], a chap, originally form Sydney, I happened to meet, while cycling, two years ago, near the round-about there. He is not only a terrific biker but also one of the best rock-climbers hereabouts. [Last year, I introduced him to one of my hiking friends, Jack Rabbit Gill, and after going out with him she confirmed his high level of expertise and ability.] He is just back, but a month or so, from Australia, where he goes during the winter, in part to visit his 95 year old Mom! He lives on Eastside Road, not all that far north of OK Falls so I ride by his place whenever I head in that direction. He is rock-climbing today otherwise we might have teamed up for a ride this morning. Plan to call him this coming week as I enjoy his company and he is so fit that he keeps me on my toes!

After waving goodbye to The Phantom, [He completed last year's GranFondo in under six hours while I was extremely pleased to have finished in just under seven hours!], I headed for the bottom of the KVR and followed it to where it crosses Vancouver Avenue and then turns into Lower Bench Road. From there I simply followed a route I've worked out, heading down Middle Bench to loop back to climb the slight hill past Poplar Grove, continuing on Tuppre Avenue, past Three Sisters, a relatively new winery which opened last summer, to make a quick dipsy-doodle into the parking lot of Township 7 before looping back to Upper Bench. With the wind behind me now, I raced past Misconduct, then Roche, [Still under construction. Owner, Dylan Roche, used to be the winemaker at Intersection, between Oliver and Osoyoos, and yesterday I heard a brief clip reporting that the middle part of one of their vineyards was completely under water due to flooding of near-bye creeks. We happen to know one of the owners.], and finally Upper Bench Winery and Creamery.

Gerbalized myself, doing this 5.5 km loop seven times before I was ready to head down Haven Hill and make for home. Found Etta and Duke still sleeping where I left them, (Duke on our bed, Etta on her favourite chair in the living room), when I left house! Enjoyed outing immensely even if I couldn't push my AVG past 19 kph. Too, too many climbs and wind was certainly a factor as well.

Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1762669045#.WSoPU4UkjSk.email

Wanted to put some shelving in the closet in the study, [aka My Office], so started that as soon as I'd taken off my cycling togs. Used a couple of pieces of lumber I'd scrounged from neighbour across the back-lane so was pleased that I was able to re-cycle what otherwise was headed for the dump. Was close to 7:00 pm by the time I was finished so headed outside to water. Started with front yard and had both felines supervising. Lovely, lovely evening so quite an enjoyable task. Use water barrel at the corner of the hosue to fill our watering cans and after a few trips back for refills I noticed that the flow was quite diminished. When I took off the cap and looked inside I discovered it was almost empty! One at back is still four-fifths full but plants in front receive far more sun so I suppose Lady Dar has drawn more from this cistern.

At any rate, when I went to hook up hose I discovered that we had not yet turned on water, shut-off for winter, to prevent freezing. Has been so much rain over last few months that we've not needed city supply to date! One more task to discharge. Have to go down into crawl space and make my way the length of the house, on hands and knees, batting spider webs out of my hair, to reach shut-off valve. Need to train Duke to do this as not only would he enjoy task and consequent explorations of as yet uncharted territory but  his wonderful flexibilty and sheer, glorious limberness make me pine for my long-gone youth!

Didn't feel like doing it that evening so filled the cans from the back barrel and that worked well. Left one of them under tap and it was almost filled by the time I was back from emptying the other. Inside by 8:00 am and started my dinner before taking a quick shower. Such is the life of a Penticton Farmers' Market goer and road cyclist, sometimes stooping to DIY home improvements! 'Ain't Life Grand! Looking forward to seeing you both. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Pics: Goat Cat! Leigh, aka Balsamic Bliss Woman, from Summerland, and Shelley, aka Pepper Woman, from Cawston; Sleepy Girl!  
Have you seen this? The word narcissism is dripping from his face!

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/trumps-first-foreign-trip/trump-pushes-montenegro-s-prime-minister-nato-summit-n764966

All good, weather insanely hot ... subtropical. Great visit but exhausting, need a vacation when we're back! The Netherlands has without a doubt the best connected cycling network on the globe (tax $$ at work). You can cycle everywhere on designated cycling trails through the polders, the dunes, through pittoresk villages where the freshly painted homes from 1500 are proudly standing. Hugs and kisses from Aarturo & Josinta


Stephen Carthew Canada conservatives, Pt. 11: in her departing address to the convention Rona Ambrose, caretaker leader, joked abt kicking a man in the balls (raucous laughter). How high would the banshees shriek if a male colleague had speculated about a swift pied to the genitalia of a female delegate?
Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn Stefano, Amos mentioned that you are going to LA ,at some point. I'll be driving back from Tinsel Town on July 10th or 11th so if it fits with your schedule you are welcome to hitch a ride. Let me know and we'll plan accordingly.
Stephen Carthew
Stephen Carthew Cuidado con los bebitos Patrizio! July 10 sounds good, I had mentioned to Corinna that I could come in June - with you guys after yve been down to a show. That suits too. Have you got the bike lockers done, or on the way? Patrick James Dunn Great about LA, Stefano! We can chat about arrangements anon. Lady Dar and I are down in Vancouver, probably the weekend of June 17th, bleeding into following Tuesday. Be great if you return with us as I'm desperately seeking help for bike lockers. Have all the material assembled and mental plans for what I'd like to build but need your journeyman's expertise to realize them. Praxis, my dear Paulo, Praxis!

Fun seeing photos of Macron with Trudeau in today's paper! We have not heard back from my friend in Idaho yet. I will write to her again. She is someone who usually takes her time and is very thoughtful. So I don't want to bug her too quickly to verify if my message made it to her. Can't make any exact plans without some idea about her willingness to endure us.

One of my Farmer's Market friends, a Frenchwoman who has long lived in California, is going to visit Vancouver for the first time in September. She asks where she should stay, and I have so far simply responded glibly "downtown" or mentioned Granville Island. Do you have any suggestions, be they broad or highly specific? Thanks so much for anything that would help Agnes.

Well, just back from shopping, but still 45 minutes prior to post time on the beer cooler. I am just going to have to be patient! THANKS and hope you are enjoying a sparkling Memorial Day weekend....Cactus

Hi Cactus and Floridian! Great to hear from you that plans for a visit are still afoot. With respect to Agnes' visit, there might be a number of possibilities, depending on her sensibilities with respect to staying with people she doesn't know. I will ask both Flamin' and Sarge, along with Jo-Anne, to see if they might be interested in having her at Harbour Terrace. Jo-Anne speaks French as does another, lovely lady, Marie-Claude, in the building so that might be something Agnes would enjoy. Otherwise, I'll send along website for Elaine and Ted Keating's VRBO suite or bedroom, in Kits. Their place is extremely well-situated to get downtown, easily and quickly, by bus, or bike, for that matter. 

Granville Island Hotel is where The Millionaires usually stay but not sure what budget Agnes is dealing with. Lady Dar will also have informed suggestions. Will be in touch about possible accommodation for Agnes. Let us know how your travel plans evolve. Flying to Spokane and then driving north is probably what I would suggest unless you want or can fly into Penticton, from there, or to/from Seattle or Bellingham or Vancouver. Depends on time, ticket credit and whether you wish to rent a car. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Have you seen this? The word narcissism is dripping from his face! http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/trumps-first-foreign-trip/trump-pushes-montenegro-s-prime-minister-nato-summit-n764966 
 
All good, weather insanely hot ... subtropical. Great visit but exhausting, need a vacation when we're back! The Netherlands has without a doubt the best connected cycling network on the globe (tax $$ at work). 
 
You can cycle everywhere on designated cycling trails through the polders, the dunes, through pittoresk villages where the freshly painted homes from 1500 are proudly standing. Hugs and kisses from Aarturo & Josinta                          As you can see below, Tony has asked me to send out this info regarding this Monday’s hike. I have sent it to my Thursday list, as I don’t have a copy of the Monday list. So, if any of you do have a Monday list, I would appreciate it very much if you would send it out for me. Many thanks, Jim

Hi Jim Could you send this out to the Monday hikers for me as my *&*()^% email system will not let me. Oh boy do I hate Microsoft. I hope you have a separate list. Thanks a lot Tony Hi hikers This week I will lead a hike to the helipad, which is the lump between McLellan and Hawthorn Mtns. starting from near the White Lake Observatory. This is a relatively easy hike with some steepish sections and nice views. But the weather will be hot (hence the earlier start) so bring lots of water. Meet at HH Penticton at 0800 or at IGA in the lot in Summerland at 0740 to carpool. Hope to see you there. Cheers Tony










 

No comments:

Post a Comment