Wednesday 24 May 2017

Hooded Merganser Tesla Driven Coffaro Blues: Wednesday, May, 24th!

I think of a hero as someone who understands the degree of responsibility that comes with his freedom. -Bob Dylan, singer-songwriter, Nobel laureate (b. 24 May 1941) 



Up at 6:00 am along with both sleepy kittens. We all tip-toed out of the bedroom to let  Lady Dar continue sleeping. Pleased to say that she seems to have had a much better night, her nasty cough seemingly subsiding and allowing her to sleep through without having to sit upright in the early hours of the day.

Hello Gale Force Bidders! Trust everyone survived the hurricane! One of our poor tomatoe plants took a bit of a beating as it wasn't in a frame and the gusts shook it like a rag doll. Still, fortunate that nothing more serious than that as I gather many people, north of here, around Salmon Arm and environs, are without power. Wonder how the poor SS Sicamous fared. According to a news report, yesterday, it was already floating, though securely tethered, and authorities were concerned about possible high wave action generated by fierce winds.

With replies, to date, I count seven players so looks like two tables, Jack Rabbit and Phillipo. Olga Polga you are welcome to ride with us. Judy Blue,
[Yes,thank you. I will be there by 6:10 pm. Judy 😊], will be at Burns Street by 6:10 pm. Michaelo, are you back? Look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow evening. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Patrizzio and gang, Thank you for including me on your ride. I'll be at your house by 6:10. See you soon. Hugs, Olly

Hi Olga Polga! Great! See you tomorrow evening. Cheers, Patrizzio! 
Hello my bridge friends, I am still in Lima Peru, getting ready for the trip home tomorrow. So obviously I won't attend this time yet, but looking forward to meeting you everybody two weeks from now. Cheers Mike Hello Machu Picchu People! Trust your trip went well. Looking forward to hearing all about it. Sorry you won't be back for two tables on Spiller Road. Travel safely and we'll see you soon. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Favourite Brisbanites/Vancouverites! Flamin' forwarded the message outlining the bike options for 2018. If I am welcome, I would be interested. Cannot speak for Lady Dar with her Marriage Officiant responsibilities but depending on dates, etc., I'm sure she would probably be keen as well. At any rate, please put us on list!

Busy time here since being back from Winnipeg. [C/G, Corinne's father died on May 5th, two days after his 93rd birthday so we were there for his funeral.] Actually had friends from Walnut Creek, [near San Francisco if not familiar with Bay Area], over this past long-weekend. Yesterday. Yesterday, Jugos Dom Pedro brought his trailer around and we picked up a yard of topsoil for the extension we made to our vegetable garden. Lady Dar is busy painting the walls in the Rumpus Room. She finished the wall to which our new shelving units will be affixed. I have stained the two small "extensions" that are needed to hold the turn-table and CD player and will screw them onto the appropriate shelves today, notching out a few spots, at the back of two of the units, for electrical cords, etc., before attaching units together and to the wall itself.
Lady Dar is off to Vancouver on Friday so not sure if she has plans to see Harbour Terrace folk , while there, or not. Back on Tuesday as Book Club on Monday. I'll be busy working on three outside storage units for bikes while she is away. Had a grand ride on Victoria Day.  Headed to Summerland as wind was out of the north at 18 kph so I wanted to fight it on outward bound leg. Has been absolutely gorgeous ever since we've been back so am now taking my camel pack as my water bottle doesn't provide enough hydration with the higher temperatures. Longest ride, (81 km), and best AVG, (21.5 kph), since being back from Winnipeg so pleased that my distance is "creeping" up, even if my speed needs more work. Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1749539713#.WSRXc2ka6Co.email
 
Friends from Healdsburg, California, winery owners, Pat and David Coffaro, are taking us to lunch today at the Hooded Merganser, restaurant at The Lakeshore Resort, right on Okanagan Lake, here in Penticton. They are driving back from Banff, en route to Osoyoos, about an hour south of us, for the night. [Flamin' and Sarge have a fabulous "fractional condo" there so, Brisbanites, you needs must visit!] We invited them to stay but for some reason Pat thinks it will be an imposition! 

Must away as I have a number of chores, assigned by Lady Dar, to discharge before I get ready for luncheon! The best to one and all. Fondestso from Lady Dar, on the mend finally, from the very nasty cold/cough she contracted before we left for Winnipeg. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Sunday morning, May 14th, Mother's Day, in Canada, hence Prince Valiant is up feeding Grace, before Sarge took us to airport! Tasting at 9:45 am, Saturday, May 20th, at Black Widow. Nothing like getting an early start to the day! Amos and Pat with Leigh, Balsamic Bliss Woman, at Farmers' Market, on Main Street, Penticton, later on Saturday; Grumpy Painter! Exhausto Woman; Waiting for Wine! Extension to vegetable patch; Rumpus Room, originale and with shelving. 

Hello Topsoil Man! Just a quick note to thank you again for all the help with trailer and unloading, Dom Pedro! Certainly much appreciated. Trust The Naramata Patient is not still in such agony and beginning to mend. Lady Dar had a good night last night so she is starting to make progress towards her full recovery.

We are off to be treated to lunch at The Hooded Merganser shortly, with

friends from Healdsburg, winery owners, Pat and David Coffaro. They are driving back from Banff, en route to Osoyoos, for the night. We invited them to stay but for some reason Pat thinks it will be an imposition!

When Lady Dar was at Huber on Tuesday a chap came up to her and asked if that was her car with the bike rack. When she said it was he introduced himself as Dave Michael, the Sales Director for Swagman, the company here in town, which makes the racks. He had noticed that it was rusting and said he wanted to give us a new one! I just talked to him and apparently there were problems with the powder coating on one batch so whenever they see one with rust they offer to replace it. In fat, I will be receiving the new, improved model, Sitka2, later this afternoon! Funnily enough, I was going to drive by place we purchased it from initially, and ask what they might suggest to arrest rusting process. [Had also thought of seeking Big Al's opinion, given his expertise with powder coating etc.] Simply haven't had time, of late, as I think you both know. Anyway, really chuffed, especially as I have been, otherwise, very pleased with the model. Talk soon, I trust. Fondestos to you both from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: I went back to Rona and bought four more cast corners so no spillage now! New shelves in Rumpus Room: Lady Dar is still busy painting the walls but she finished the wall to which our new shelving units will be affixed. I have stained the two small "extensions" that are needed to hold the turn-table and CD player and will screw them onto the appropriate shelves today, notching out a few spots, at the back of two of the units, for electrical cords, etc., before attaching units together and to the wall itself. Duke "supervising" painting! Etta's latest favourite spot! Sitka2! Black Widow tasting you missed!

Patrick, Pretty lucky on the bike rack, eh! Cheers from a deflated golfer, Peter
Hello Deflated Golfer! I take it you did not play well in your tournament! Sorry to hear this. I trust all your shoveling, on our behalf, didn't compromise your swing and putting eye! For my part, I'm now the proud owner of a spiffy new bike rack!

On another matter, if you happen to be passing by, Dom Jugos, over next little while, I could certainly use some advice on re-hooking up our stereo system. Only if you have time, of course. I expect an engineer would be able to do this with a blindfold on after drinking copious amounts of cask strength!  Otherwise I'll have to phone our grandsons!

How is our Dearest Lynne? Hope better, whatever that means. Lady Dar is recovering, but slowly, and is napping at the moment, so I'm typing very, very quietly! Cheers for now. Patrizzio!

Pic: Sitka2! This model has a lock on the "arm" which goes over the front wheel to provide added security. When traveling, however, I usually add a cable lock which I thread through and around the wheels and frame and secure it to the hitch itself, in case a potential thief tries to remove either of the wheels. That being said, I've had the saddle on my Brodie stolen, twice, once in Toronto and once in Vancouver!


Thinking of you all!  It is such an exhausting time and hope Corinne is over her cold at least. Thank you for the photos. Looks like a family pulling together.


Hope your place survived last night's storm. I have never experienced wind gusts that crazy. I can't imagine what it would be like to batten down in a hurricane.  There seems to be a few loose siding sections on other units in the complex but other than a few broken twigs our trees miraculously survived.  I wonder where the birds hide? They would not have been able to hold on to any exposed branches last night, that's for sure. I went out to rescue a pillow blowing around in the yard and with one gust I could barely keep standing.

My grandson is hooking up with blondes already. I went to the front door to call Wally and Kian in for lunch and wished I had my camera.  There was Kian wearing his bike helmet sitting bolt uprightness the passenger seat  beside a 9 year old driver, zooming past my front door, in a pink electric convertible. I don't know how my words get changed.. For instance I am sure I typed 'upright' not 'uprightness'

 

No comments:

Post a Comment