Sunday 2 September 2018

KVR and Tacos del Norte Blues: Sunday, September 2nd!



The first casualty when war comes is truth. -Hiram Johnson, governor and senator (1866-1945)



Dearest Julia and Private Secretary Ross! It was with great shock and much dismay that both Lady Dar and I learned of your extensive surgery! Very pleased, however, to hear that all went so well with surgery and now with Hot Yoga recovery! Just a short note so as not to tire you out. We have been enjoying an absolutely wonderful long-weekend, without smoke filled skies and made even sunnier with Ayn's arrival on Wednesday night. Time has flown by and she is back to Tinsel Town tomorrow as she has numerous meetings which she cannot miss, all to do with the coming "linear", (regular cable, I gather!), and streaming service for the Winter 2018 holiday programming strategies she will present to other groups, marketing, social media, on-air-marketing, etc. Her programming/acquisitions group "drives" the others. She is the VP in charge so a fair bit of responsibility which she seems to be handling quite well, I'm pleased to say.

She stayed with Chloë on Thursday night as all of us were over there helping to put together Ikea beds and other pieces of furniture, in particular those items needed for the room Chloë is renting out to help her with mortgage. Tenant works for Culmina, a fairly high-end winery out of Oliver, and since Shruti is from India we are all hoping for lamb curry diners, [She will share kitchen.], and pricey, heavily discounted wine.

Lady Dar just left to perform her fourth wedding of the weekend, two on Friday, one Saturday plus today's. Ayn went with her as ceremony is at Painted Rock, another high-end spot, with quite a stunning tasting room. Lovely grounds and a smashing view of Skaha. The Sisterhood walked part of the KVR on the west side of Skaha this morning and after they were back Ayn treated us to brunch at Tacs del Norte a great spot here in town, just off Penticton Creek so most pleasant to eat outside on their picnic tables.

Went for my first ride, (non-stationary), yesterday. Just a stretch ride to get used to being back in a moving saddle but plan to go to OK Falls as soon as I've posted this. Chloë has gone into her office for a few hours as with Ayn here she had taken some time off and finds it easier to get more things done when she is by herself, without phones ringing, etc. We will take Ayn out for her birthday dinner tonight, at Play, a fairly new winery, in Skaha Hills, at south end of town, not far from airport, with a gorgeous view of Skaha. It is her birthday on September 4th but she'll be hard at work by then. Again, all the best for a speedy and full recovery, Juliette of the Spirits! Fondestos and best wishes from The Sisterhood. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Ikea Girls! Lady Dar with Wayne and Pamela and Dana, at Time Winery in downtown Penticton, this past Friday. Dana and I were in same Library School class and we reconnected a month or so ago at Poplar Grove Wine Club Appreciation party. They were up this weekend for another wine-related dinner, Blue Mountain, Saturday night. Pillow fight after dinner Friday night! Ayn with our friend, Gordon, at Farmers' Market on Saturday. With Judy, friend over for dinner last night. The Sisterhood leave to walk the KVR this morning. Brunch. A Cat's Life! Lady Dar about to set off for Painted Rock with her chauffeur!

So great to hear your news! Hugs to Chloë and Ayn. I’m so glad Chloe’s new career is working out. My summer has been interfered with by this medical stuff. I must say I am still in shock that this procedure is necessary but also in awe that it is possible to do such complex surgery! I have been to Edmonton a few times already to visit granddaughter Willa and they were all out for a couple of weeks-in Vancouver at a big Ornithology conference, then on Sidney Island. It was fun! Enjoy your summer(fall, I should say, now). Are you coming for Writers Fest? I may not be mobile enough to be useful by then, but I signed up nonetheless. Love to everyone Julia
Hi Patrick. I’m at the hospital trying to keep Julia from brain death by boredom ; or at least stave it off. Great that you are back on your bike. Me too — after a month of guest-induced inactivity I cycled to VGH yesterday. Great ride over but the ride home almost killed me. Had to suck back a few Red Truck lagers to recover. Made me again think I should get a Brooks saddle for my road bike —the one on my touring bike is a dream.  
Regarding pics —all most welcome, but the one outside the taco joint makes Lady Dar look like a mob boss. Not how I think of her at all. Just sayin’. Julia doing well — they turned the heat down in her room although she is still hot given that her left leg is under what is, essentially, an air mattress with hot air being blown into it. Hope Ayn had a great birthday dinner. Wish her well from us. Julia says the setting sounds nice but that food here is so good wild horses couldn’t get to go to no fancy tasting restaurants. Note the left leg raised and doing a slow cook under the puffy sheet (air mattress under the sheet.) -Ross

Dear Pat Thank you for email and my apologies for my late reply! Awful to read about your ordeal with falls and hospital stay in Berlin. But I am very glad to see you are back on the wheels and no major problems after the fall with head trauma. 


We are all doing well here in Copenhagen and enjoying the stay. After some weeks of uncertainty, Lia and Max are now enrolled in kindergarten and nursery in the same public institution no far from home. For Lia the Danish language is a lot to process and listen while Max seems to do just fine. Some of the older generations speak fairly good German, for the younger staff it is English only. Childcare institutions seem to vary quite much, a lot of parents are choosing private ones and we are happy how it turned out so far. Sabine is enjoying the freedom just gained, organizing and exploring the city by bicycle and walking. She is doing fine and happy about the temperatures coming down as she is expecting our third child and is due next January!

We are enjoying the city but for now drive south or north as often as possible to spend time at the beautiful beaches and dunes. Research work and clinical exposure at the hospital, which is among the largest in Europe as a referral center, is inspiring and with many welcoming colleagues in the many subdivisions. 


Cycling to and from work is a great change and convenient. Still, I have to adjust my gear to be ready for the autumn and all weathers. I had my own mishap in the first days after arrival which limited my mobility. I had a fracture of my left heel bone on our steep staircase in the rented home. Max fell tumbling down the stairs before my eyes, when I leaped after him and landed in an uncontrolled manner. Luckily and surprisingly he was just fine and without a scratch. Luckily in my case, the fracture didn’t involve the articulation and my forefoot could bare weight after some 2-3 weeks, so cycling was possible.

Attached a few impressions from our Scandinavian adventure. We are settling and will be glad to get in touch with Margareta when we will have time for a trip of a few days to Arhus and beyond in a few weeks or months. With fondest regards to you, Corinne and Chloë, Max, Lia, Sabine and Simon Hello Simon and Sabine, et al! Trust you are fully recovered, Simon, after what could have been an incredibly serious fall! What a relief that Maximo was unhurt and that you only suffered a fracture. Otherwise, I hope you are well settled into Copenhagen and that your research project goes well. [Have you had an opportunity to contact Maggie?] 
 
I do apologize for being such a tardy correspondent as I realize it was the beginning of September when you sent your last message! Loved the pictures of your gorgeous family, [particularly your beautiful bike!!!], and your home/surrounding country/sea-side. Fondestos from Lady Dar, to you, Simon and Sabine, and to all The Cruel Swiss, Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Phil and I can not do Tuesday, Wed or Thursday next week. See you following week maybe. Gill Hi Patrick, Sorry I missed the Plastic Sheeting Centrale. My friend has been diagnosed with colon cancer recently, I went seeing him several times to hospital. Not too much in the mood to playing. Right now he is back home awaiting chemo. Last night my friends from Calgary arrived to stay for a week so I will be out of commission for a while. But please keep me posted so I can “jump in” when possible. And keep bidding high ♠️♣️♥️♦️ Cheers. Mike
 
Had enjoyed myself so much on Saturday that I decided I'd hit the road again today. For this outing I made for Skaha Lake Park even though wind was out of the North. This being the case I sailed down South Main and was pleased to find that, by the time I'd gerbalized myself, the head-wind back home was not overly punishing. One small step for Pneumonia-free Patrizzio, definitely on the road back to full cycling mode! Cheers!Map and Stats for ride: 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2985249832#.W41XXDL3w0s.email


Hi, Patrick and Corinne: It is now September -- time seems to rush by ever more quickly as one gets older. Recently I've been occupied with various mostly pleasant activities and distractions, such as the arrival of my niece Anna, (Sandy's daughter), to start her first teaching job in North Vancouver. 

The fact that I now have so much more discretionary time as a retiree has some impact . . . but not as much as I expected! My first pension cheque landed two days ago, on August 31st. (I was in "quota run-off" until then). So it's for real now!

We have some exciting family news. Last Saturday (August 25th), Karen
became the grandmother to identical twin girls (Rowan Taylor, 4.5 lbs and Harlow Raine, 3.5 lbs). Their father is Karen's son, Jason. He and his partner April also have a 5-year-old son, Linden. The twins were born early and are very tiny -- their combined weight less than Linden's when he was born. But they are healthy although they need to stay in hospital for several weeks to be monitored. I haven't met them yet -- hopefully not much longer. I wanted to check in with you about my half-dozen bottles of wine, as you mentioned that Paul Whitney would transport them to the Lower Mainland on my behalf. 


Since I'm not sure of his time frame, so I thought I'd let you know that I'll be away, September 17-October 10 -- in case it's during that time and Paul emails or leaves a voice-mail and gets "radio silence." I don't have any contact details for Paul, but of course, feel free to pass along my email and telephone # to him.

Not that it's of surpassing interest to the universe, but this weekend I was surprised to hear from James and we had a friendly telephone conversation. He indicated that he'll be out this way by the end of the year to hand-deliver my keys back to me. 


This is good, as it holds out the prospect of a resolution of the disquiet associated with the strained note on which we said goodbye at the end of his last visit . . . and also for enduring friendship. So I'm feeling lighter about that.

How is your kitchen now? Is all the major work done and are you washing dishes in the sink again? It really looked good in the evolving state that I saw during my visit. For my part, I think I will have to stare down my dreaded bathroom renovation after I get back from Europe. (And seriously, I would be delighted for any ideas and suggestions you might be able to offer. I just don't have gift for design. Not sure when such an opportunity might present itself -- but you never know!) Hope this finds you both well. Love, Janet Hi Twin Girls Aunt! Thanks very much for lovely card and wonderful pictures. Congratulations on birth of twins! Wonderful news. Have you seen Rowan and Harlow yet? Lady Dar's grandfather was named "Rowan" and she likes the name very much. I worked with a "Rowan", in Circulation, at Main, as well. Did you know her? 



Anyway, just a quick note to say that I will give your wine to Sarge as he and Flamin' will drive up from Vancouver on September 6th, for the night. They are off to Spirit Ridge for the weekend. They will be home, (Harbour Terrace, where we used to live.), on Sunday, September 9th, so give him a call to make arrangements to collect wine when convenient. 
 
Thought this might work better with your travel dates and those of Paul and Joan. Pleased to hear that James called and that you are feeling better about things. Tough hand to be dealt but you will survive. Onward!! Fight!!! Stay well. Take care of yourself, Janet. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Bridge at Judy Blue's, with Carolina and Susannah, not you, straight from the airport!

Hi Corinne—Thanks again for a great evening last night. Petey and I really enjoyed ourselves. The food, as always, was delicious. The drinks flowed freely. And the company was lovely. It was so nice to see Ayn again and also to spend some quality time with Chloe. You can be very proud of your “girls”. Cheers,
Lynnie XOXO P.S. I love your kitchen renovation. You done good! ;-)
Hi Flower Goil and Prune Plum Pete! Thank you both for all the lovely local produce and most potable home-brew! Wonderful to have a chance to see you both and join the "lively" child-induced gathering! Looking forward to seeing you again, along with Jocelyn and James. Trust your nasty cough is diminishing. Thanks again. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Award winning flower arrangement! Ayn ready to leave for Play and her birthday dinner. We sat outside and it was a lovely evening. Stunning light on hills to the east. Ayn's Mac n' Cheese with lobster; The Sisterhood.
 
hi, yes i am home and the road ahead of me is along slow recovery. i got lots of hard work to do to get back where i was but i know i'll get there . thanks for the encouraging words and yes hope to see you on the trail soon. cheers for now. karl 

Thank u both for a another lovely time at your house. I enjoyed meeting ayn , I would enjoy getting to know her better. The dinner was delicious ESP the potatoes and sausages!! I am available to play bridge on Tuesday at 630 and would be happy to host. I hope the wedding went well Corrine and that you all enjoy the last day of Ayns visit. Judy Xo 

Hi Patrick, Sorry I missed the Plastic Sheeting Centrale. My friend has been diagnosed with colon cancer recently, I went seeing him several times to hospital. Not too much in the mood to playing. Right now he is back home awaiting chemo. Last night my friends from Calgary arrived to stay for a week so I will be out of commission for a while. But please keep me posted so I can “jump in” when possible. And keep bidding high ♠️♣️♥️♦️ Cheers. Mike Hi Michaelo!
I was distressed to learn that your close friend was diagnosed with colon cancer. Trust chemo will do what it is intended to do. Corinne's 38 year old niece, in Winnipeg, was diagnosed with terminal bone cancer, earlier this summer, so we certainly understand what you are dealing with. Very, very tough hands to have been dealt. On a brighter note, do hope you and Mariola can pop over to our bash on Saturday, September 15th. Bring your friends from Calgary if they are still in town. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!


No comments:

Post a Comment