Friday 7 September 2018

Memphis Speed Kings Blues: Friday, September 7th!

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it. -Edith Sitwell, poet (7 Sep 1887-1964) 



We have weekend tickets to the Pentastic Jazz Festival which starts late this afternoon. Really looking forward to seeing Dave Bennett and his Quartet, (Reincarnation of Benny Goodman, playing swing, moody blues, and emotional ballads.), along with his other group The Memphis Speed Kings, (Sizzling Rockabilly and Rock 'n' Roll, the music of Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry and others!), as they were at the festival last year. As well, trumpeter, Bria Skonberg, (originally from Chilliwack), and Her New York All Stars, new to us, so an exciting line-up this evening and for rest of weekend! Lady Dar was back from her shift at PGH just after noon and then left again, bound for Painted Rock to have lunch there with Clan Sutherland. Unfortunately, her plans changed as she had to take in her Bug to have the oil/engine coolant level checked/changed.

Incredible offer on a NuTone central vacuum and MORE! Dad, this is a good deal!!! Hello Spirit Ridgers! Good for WHOM? Did you speak to Corey about their central vacuum system? Let me know what model, etc., they bought so that you/we can compare brands. Hello to everyone. Jazz opening was simply wonderful but we came home to find Duke back on roof, stranded again! Had to get out extendable ladder and climb up on louvres and then onto roof itself to coax him to me. When he finally inched towards me I picked him up, without any struggle on his part, and put him on roof sloping towards duplex. From there he ran towards chimney and hopped onto Bill's shed roof and then fence. Lady Dar was not amused!

Etta was inside when we first came home and after we'd fed them she curled up on blanket at foot of our bed. Duke investigated but Etta wouldn't move from "his spot" so he ended up on floor next to sliding door to our bedroom! Poor Lad! Both went out at 4:50 am and were waiting on settee for me to let them in this morning. What's the weather like? Is all the Bartier Brothers' wine gone by now? Love and Cheers, Dad!
Pics: Bria at SS Sicamoous; Quite smokey when I left to walk over to TCC. Bria at part of Opening Ceremonies and Dave Bennett and the Memphis Speed Kings; Dave stood on top of the double bass and played the piano, Jerry Lee Lewis style, on one leg! Bria's group finished off evening.

Thanks for the update, Patrick I am making turkey for thanksgiving, I have invited Jack and Annmarie, Jan and Bonnie and Mary Ann, Brendan and Carole, Josie and Maddie. I am not sure where we will eat, but I will of course cook a turkey and dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy. How much wine is too much? I think I am just getting started--finishing off what was left from Family Dinner on Wed. That meal was Indian Food--well done if I do say so myself.
 

I just had a long talk with cousin Paula from Vancouver. I just had a report from neice Stephanie that Jack is still in one piece walking the El Camino from Porta to Santiago de Compostela. They are taking a week off in PEI--the murder prelim Stephanie had scheduled got reorganized so she found her self with a chance to catch up on time owing. Stephanie has become the murder girl for Legal Aid Nova Scotia. You gotta make a living somehow, don't you. Anyway glad the house renos are coming to an end. I look forward to my next trip west.
Take care. Lots of love to you all. Jim






No comments:

Post a Comment