Wednesday 5 September 2018

Run to the SPCA Outfoxed Feline Blues: Wednesday, September 5th!

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. -John Cage, composer (5 Sep 1912-1992)


Up at 7:30 am to zap my java and start in on email. Had a "dog" message from Ragin' containing a slight disparagement of felines. With respect to canines, Branko has obviously not remembered but this is the second or third time he has have forwarded pooch propaganda! I have taken to letting Duke screen my messages since he is up so early every morning and I assume he considered this message spam and hence immediately consigned it to the trash bin! Clever, clever boy! That being said, had to outfox them today as we took them to the SPCA for their annual check-ups. Didn't given them much dry food this morning so was able to "lure" them inside, around 1:00 pm, to corral them for an hour or so, before putting them into their carrier case. 

After plowing through as many messages as I could, took a break to make myself a spot of brunch. Used one of the small red peppers from our vegetable patch. Bit of kick but not too, too much heat so quite a nice addition to my overleft melange! [Where are Ragin's fabulous omellettos when you really need them?] Again, on the food front, Lady Dar served Costco lamb chops this past Saturday, (Grilled to absolute perfection by Kid Chelene!), so perhaps we'll have some over the course of his visit, end of next week as we will be making a Kelowna Costco run before Summer Bash.

Annual check-ups went very well. Fit as fiddles and no fussing although Miss Etta hid under bench until it was her turn to be examined! Think they are starting to return to "normal" behaviour now that the house is slowly getting back to its more familiar arrangement and tradesmen aren't coming and going and making all sorts of noise. Last night was the first time since we started kitchen project that they have both slept on our bed. Etta is a teenager and sleeps until Lady Dar rises while I have to let El Diablo out at 4:30 am-5:00 am!
Will you ever get done with Reno’s & furniture moving !!!! Tell Corinne, seeing as she planted cactus in those pots, that Epsomsalt is a great fertilizer for them:
1 tablespoon of Epsom salt with 4 litres of water, misting them is preferred. Also add compost, rich in nutrients to the soil mix. How is that for plant advice!!!!
Clara
Hi Rosita et al! So now you are a houseplant expert! As I mentioned in earlier message, start packing your bags and you can fly back to Penticton with Chloë. We need you to cook turkey for Thanksgiving anyway and while here you can monitor new plants at Sendero, Epsomsalt at the ready!

Our kitchen is "almost" finished! Flooring is still an issue, [still waiting to hear from manufacturer!], but it is fine to walk upon even if transition strips between cork and tiles are installed and top step lip, (to Rumpus Room), is put in place.
Stay well. Take care of yourself, Plant Expert! See you in early October! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Floating shelves above sink; wall of appliances where pantry used to be; sofa with bookshelf; 

Patriçio, I am already packing my tools! Those pics btw, are courtesy of the “Google man”. The Google camera vehicles have been just about everywhere in the world there is a road. Want to (virtually) walk through Dubrovnik? Just zero in and drop the guy on the street you want to see. Quite amazing actually.

Well, may not stay ‘til Xmas, but no firm return date! I can do this because …My Dad has just been admitted to a care home. Found out this a.m. Haven’t toured it of course, but great location, looks good from the outside, again, thanx to Google!

Also, I have I have made the difficult decision to off the cat. My Dad's cat is somewhere about 16-18 years old. I tried to bring it upstairs, but it just freaked. It hisses and growls at me when I try to be nice to it. I think it is under stress itself as my Dad was the only one she interacted with, but I have *never* seen her on his lap (unlike previous cats). That was always a weird cat. So now I am free. twinge of guilt, but mitigated by the fact I am not just a litter box slave. All this has not totally sunk in yet. seeyousoon/bjp Branko


Hi, All. It has been a few days since #2 and it’s time for an update, which will be brief. Yesterday (Tuesday) morning, with great trepidation, Julia called her family doctor’s office to inquire whether lab results were in from the sentinel lymph node biopsy performed on August 17th. “Yes,” said the receptionist, “they are here.” I was in the room watching Julia on the phone. There was presumably a short silence on the other end, then Julia got increasingly excited, yipping and hooting. I learned that the receptionist had continued on, saying, “These are the kind of results I like to see: negative; negative; negative!” This was a huge relief to Julia, and me, instantly removing the pall of uncertainty as to whether the cancer had metastasized to other parts of her body. The day was suddenly much brighter and I am pleased to report that Julia’s whole mood and demeanor changed instantly and enduringly. It was a very good moment.
That is the good news.


The less good news is that there are mixed indicators on the plastic surgery on her foot. On the positive side, the blood flow seems very good. (They use a small wand not unlike an ultrasound, which broadcasts the “sound” of the blood flow. This was checked every hour for the first few days and more recently every two hours.) Good blood flow is critical and a very good indicator of things going right. On the negative, the surface of the transplant – the skin graft (which looks like a net) and the colour of the flesh immediately underneath are for the most part very dark in colour rather than pinkish as should be the case. These are contra-indicators and we will just have to see what evolves. Preliminarily (and this is our layman’s understanding), there is a chance the transplant will successfully “take” in its entirety; there is a chance that the bulk of the muscle transplant will “take” but that the skin graft will have to be redone; there is a chance the whole thing will have to be redone. Probabilities on those three possibilities are vague right now but are perhaps like a bell curve: low probability for the first and third possibilities, higher probability for the second possibility.

Time will tell. But whatever transpires, the outcome seems manageable and Julia is not daunted. She is in good spirits, is more rested than in the first few days, and has had a couple of guests. If you would like to call or visit, please text her first to avoid waking her, and get her to call you or set something up. She is still very much “in hospital” and does need to rest. Thanks for caring! Cheers, Ross


We hope to leave around 3 so should get in sometime around 6 45.  Lobster would be good for dinner and I will bring crayons so double AA can mark up the walls.  Chloe’s place is looking pretty fabulous! Nice to have a few more items on your reno to do list taken care of:) See you on Sept 15 if not sooner. Pamela

Hi Patrick, long time no see, no hear, nothing. Those renovations had to keep you pretty occupied. Have you been out with the group lately? I go with them rarely, so that was not a surprise that I did not see you, but I did not hear about you either. Thank you for the invitation, we would like to come at least for a short time. Below is my last message to the last Thursday group and a few pictures. You might still recognise some of us. Attached are a few shots from another wonderful trip to the hills. Do with them as you please:  
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/LHEcjDcsFQQ9QgH2A> We came across a patch of these beautiful flowers which I have never seen before. Does anyone know the name of it? So late in season, a real surprise. As you see, for the most of the trip it was only Jack Sr, Dave W and I. We left everyone else in the dust of our boots. Picture #15 is a proof that nobody can dispute our inclusiveness. Cheers,
Al Hello Tyrannosaurus! Thank you for the wonderful snapolas! Quite a large group to leave in the dust! I'm pleased that I wasn't along as I certainly would not have been able to keep up with you, if Ranger Rick couldn't! Bravo!! Onward!!! Lady Dar and I are both delighted that you and Mary will be able to pop by our gathering. I understand that you will also bring René, so thanks for that. [
Dear Patrizzio and Dar: Thank you for your kind invitation! I look forward to seeing you again. Will have a ride with Al Tinka, my kind neighbour. Rene’.
Hi René! Lady Dar and I are both delighted that you will be able to pop by our gathering this Saturday. Wonderful that Al Tinka will bring you!  All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!] Smallish world indeed! Plan to see you at Farewell for Gerd on September 13th so look forward to that although sorry to have them leaving. Cheers for now, Patrizzio!



No comments:

Post a Comment