Sunday 23 September 2018

SOWTS Whiskey Tasting Blues: Sunday, September 23rd!

Very few established institutions, governments and constitutions ... are ever destroyed by their enemies until they have been corrupted and weakened by their friends. -Walter Lippmann, journalist (23 Sep 1889-1974) 

Photo: Mandias
Hello Far Flung Five-No-Trumpers! I apologize for this latest change of plans BUT, unfortunately, for us, it seems that Lady Dar and I, given visitors and other social engagements, are unable to play this coming week. That does not mean that any others cannot play if you can manage to stitch a game together. Please do. Buona Fortuna! [Hi Patrick, I am camping/RVing in Washington at Sunlake area till the end of the week. Back on Monday, so possibly can join you guys that week. All the best Mike]
 
Monday, October 1st, is free for us so please let me know if you'd like to play that evening or suggest another date, better for most. [Hi fellow Bridge Comrades, I’m home on Monday October 1st and am happy to host...6:30 as usual.... just let me know if you’re in. Meanwhile the snow is almost all gone and it’s sunny with blue skies.... although it’s still pretty chilly. Talk to me, hugs, Olly. With Olga Polga's message, following week is already falling into place for a game!] Yes thanks Olly Phil and I will be there Oct 1st 6.30 hugs Gill Count me in Olly, thanks for hosting. Cheers to all. Mike I would like to join you Oct 1st. Please advise the address. Thanks, Susan Hi Susannah and Olga Polga! You are welcome to car pool with us, from Burns Street. If that works, plan to be at our house by 6:00 pm. Otherwise, Rolly Poly, please send Susannah your street co-ordinates. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Thanks, Patrick, but I am not a good passenger (motion sickness) so please send me the address. Susan Hi Olga Polga! Please send Susannah your street address and direction for this coming Monday. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Looking further ahead, Gilliana and Fillipo are leaving to go south for the winter on October 18th and would like to have a farewell pot luck at their place before that, with bridge to follow. Since Josinta returns from Greece on October 12th Jack Rabbit Gill was thinking about having the get together on Monday, October 15th. Please let group know if you will be able to attend. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Olly, thanks for hosting. Patrick and I can be there. Best Corinne Greetings from Kimolos. Gill knows I will be there! Jos Hi Kimolos Kids! Trust everyone is well and drinking Retsina and Ouzo aplenty. Take care of each other. Travel safely. Fondestos from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hello Patrick and Corinne, It seems that life is good as always in Penticton! We know that we left Paradise. However, we have found another Paradise. So far we have enjoyed beer and wine but tonight we plan to enjoy the ouzo. No retsina for us!

Best wishes to all as we head into town for another wonderful cappuccino ( it is still morning here ). Marian and Tim

Thanks Patrick and Corrine for a lovely dinner and evening. Nice to get together and chat. We're off this morning with a very full car!! Way too much wine! We look forward to hosting you on Denman. Luise, Dave , Heather and John
Hi Long Gone Naramatians! Thank you four for such a wonderful, fun-filled evening. Glad you enjoyed Lady Dar's ever so tasty Coq au Vin and Upper Bench cheese. Trust drive back to Vancouver goes well. Will certainly be in touch about a visit to Denman, and St John's! [Please pass along email addresses for both Heather and John when you have a minute.] We are hoping to do a Vancouver Island Grand Tour this Fall so will certainly let you know if that comes to fruition. Fondestos from Lady Dar to one and all. Travel safely. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Lady Dar with Newfie Freeloaders!
 
Hi Patrice, I am glad your recovery is going well and very glad to hear that you have not had to endure too much discomfort other than catheter..yikes!. the very thought makes me double over and grab my groin area. 

I was certainly only joking re the answering machine and your long emails, fact is I do enjoy them and although I do find it tough to sit down and read through that is certainly a problem with my life and need to adjust. I definitely am stretched a bit thin and my intention is and always has been as a means to an end to make sure my ducks are all in a row and I at some point in the near future be able to relax much more knowing that I will be able to be self sufficient and not “have” to work. Not sure if I mentioned it but am working on Lost in space season 2, another Netflix series and the first couple episodes are very ambitious and thus the reason for having little time for other endeavours. This weekend I got mixed up as it is the weekend when I usually go with a bunch of other motorcycle riders down to Anacortes and I though it was the last weekend of Sept. but is in fact the third. Instead I worked in my shop trying to get this Errant Cloud project finished up for Germaine, the artist I have done a number of projects for in the past as I am sure you’ll recall.  
I bought a new to me car last week as the Suburban obviously was just getting more and more expensive to drive and did not need it %80 of the time anyway so I purchased a 1998 Honda CRV like the one Colleen used to have and that we liked so much. This one is in very nice condition and am enjoying driving it . I will probably keep the Suburban insured for the winter as I am getting a truck rental and fuel paid for on the show and will still need it for a few trips back and forth with the trailer to the Valley. Having a nice lazy morning so far and have been trying to organize the huge back log of pictures on my phone as it was getting overloaded. I will take Clover over to have a visit with my Mom for a bit and then take her for a run at the park before coming back and spending a few more hours on the cloud project as I have to get stuff ready to take to a galvanizing plant tomorrow. Seeing as the project sits in the air above the pool in the Minoru aquatic center it is a corrosive environment due to the chlorine in the air and thus the reason for galvanizing. Take care and wishing you a speedy recovery. Love to Corrine and the felines and talk soon. Cheers, Al

Hi Big Al! Congratulations on new wheels! You sound even busier than ever so I'll try to keep this missive short! [Cheque's in the mail!] We certainly enjoyed celebrating the new kitchen space, a week ago now, and guests were very generous with wonderful food and drink and other thoughtful gifts. More than anything else it was a delight to be surrounded by such marvellous friends and Lady Dar and I certainly hold this companionship most dear. Take care of each other. Fondestos from Lady Dar, out running errands. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Malt tasting with Jugos Dom Pedro and friend; Lady Dar with Karin, wife of Darin Patterson, chef at Bognar's, great restaurant here in town, and Karen Gillis, wine-maker at Red Rooster. 

Hi Patrice, It does look like you had a wonderful party and congratulations. I guess our invitation is in the mail too?. I am surprised at the lack of accurate guessing on the single malt given your vast wealth of malt knowledge! Glad the social calendar is chock full as usual, it seems that you are busier now than when you were in Vancouver. We would love to have you to the cabin soon as it has been many years since you were able to squeeze us in to your busy social schedule. Talk to Corrine and lets make it happen. Cheers, Al

Hi Elaine/O Susannah/Clan Carter! Trust everyone is well. I'm scheduled to see my dermatologist, in Vancouver, on October 24th so was wondering if any of you are interested in bridge that evening. So far, Janet Scott, Ragin' Bull, and perhaps Fast Eddy, are in so we have a least one table. [Have a couple of other possibilities if Fast Eddy has to play doubles squash!]

Just back from a blind whiskey tasting with the South Okanagan Whiskey Tasting Society. Loads of fun even if I only correctly identified one out of eight. Fourteen possible countries to choose from and I hit Scotland, Glenmorangie, on seventh tasting! We are invited out for dinner tomorrow night, at Michelle Dunn's place, [I call her "cousin" even though we are not related.], and tonight, Dick Lancaster, owner/winemaker of Black Widow, was at tasting and he mentioned that he had a chap working in Tasting Room this summer, named Patrick Dunn! At any rate, let me know what you think and I'll plan accordingly.  Thanks. Fondestos from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Malt tasting with Dame Judith and her broken ankle, and Kevin. After our Open House, last Saturday, while walking home, she managed to twist her foot, falling on top of her husband Kevin, (President of SOWTS), and breaking her ankle! Fortunately not on our property as we cannot even afford to pay for kitchen renovation let alone a multi-million dollar lawsuit!! O Susannah here and yes I am able to play bridge on Oct 24th anytime after 5:00 pm. Let me know how things unfold. Regards & Hugs to the Dunn/Durston family, Susan Hi O Susannah! Terrific that you can join us! I'll be in touch as soon as I've finalized numbers and venue. Look forward to seeing you and catching up. Fondestos from Lady Dar, out running errands. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Patrick! The 24th is my pick up day for Hazel and as I am leaving for my river cruise on the 26th, I will probably spend the evening with the family. Thanks for including me though. Your room here is free if needed. Cheers Elaine

Hi Elaine! Sorry that you won't be able to join us but understand completely. Another time. Thanks very much for the offer of "my room"! Certainly much appreciated, of course. However, I've already made arrangements to stay with Flamin' and Sarge. Speaking of which. Lady Dar is on grand-parenting duty this coming Friday, for Ashlynn, one of their granddaughters here in Penticton as both parents are on shift. Perhaps we'll have to "import" you with all of your honed skills! At any rate, we'd love you to visit at some point so keep a trip in mind. Until then, stay well and have a fabulous river cruise. Lady Dar is green with envy. Hello to everyone. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pic: Paul, Una and Henry.


Hello Book Clubbers! Just to let everyone know, the next gathering scheduled for Thursday, October 18th when we will discuss Stuart Turton's The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. I am going to suggest Dame Judith host as it might be easier for her, given her ankle. If this doesn't work, DJ, let us know and we'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!Oops! Forgot to attach snapola! What time and where, Sir? Hi Louise! I was waiting to hear back from Dame Judith, about hosting, before I sent out her address. Wherever we meet, I'll provide directions. Very pleased you are joining the group. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Looking forward to it! Louise It will be at my condo, not in the room we met the last time, Lakeshore Dr W Entrance is across from Gyro Park. The shorter building - not the two towers. Dame Judith I will be in attendance👍 Thank you for hosting Judi. Pamela

Hello Gang: Nice photo Patrizzio. Yes, I would gladly host the next book club. We can have it in our condo. Just need to know how many folks will be coming. What are we doing? Appies, wine and cheese? Let me know. Happy reading. Dame Judith Hi again, Evelyn Hardcastle Fans: Dame Judith has very kindly offered to host on Thursday, October 18th so we will congregate at her condo, [Please remind The Bookworms where you live, parking, etc., DJ], for 7:00 pm. In the past group members have often contributed a bottle of wine or a tasty nibble of cheese so let's do that again, if gang agree. Let me know who will be attending so that DJ can move furniture as needed! Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Corinne and Pat. When would be a good time for me to call to talk about our upcoming visit? I'm assuming we will arrive Tuesday afternoon. Will you be up for a bit of a winery tour Wed? Lunch on us at Tinhorn Creek perhaps? Not sure about dinner on Tues/Wed. Whatever works for you. For discussion. Cheers, Paul in Kelowna! 
 
Hi all, As per Jim's email below, I'm arranging a hike for this coming Thursday (Sep 27th)... which is to head up Mt Martin starting from Skaha Bluffs. I'm hoping there'll be some Larch's just turning on the higher slopes. So... meet at HH in Penticton at 9am to carpool (IGA in Summerland at 8:40 to carpool into Penticton) and make our way to the Bluffs upper car park . For those near the park, it works OK if you want to go straight to the upper car park in the Bluffs - we should be there by about 9:15.

The hike should be 4 to 5 hours and a bit less than 9 miles in distance. It might be warm enough to warrant a visit to the KVR pub after the hike but such decisions can be made by those surviving the hike. Cheers. Phil Robson

No comments:

Post a Comment