Monday 29 October 2018

Curtis and The Pot Light/Fire Alarm Blues: Monday, October 29th!

Certainly none of the advances made in civilization has been due to counterrevolutionaries and advocates of the status quo. -Bill Mauldin, editorial cartoonist (29 Oct 1921-2003) 

Liberty Leading the People by Eugène Delacroix commemorates the July Revolution.
Dear Patrick and Corinne Hope this email finds you well. I must say I am missing CBC and CTV news so much as CNN and FOX and NBC etc are horrible. All that seems to be covered of course are the pipe bombs, synagogue shootings and helicopter crash in the UK.

Not sure if this will bore you but I actually can see why people come to Arizona for the winter--the weather at this time of the year is simply perfect. Our visit to the Grand Canyon was excellent and we did drive to Sedona, Arizona stopped for some great walks and then had a lovely lunch in Sedona overlooking Snoopy Rock. The Red Rock Canyon and the red rock formations were intriguing and with the combination of fall colors made the area and drive ever so beautiful.

Yesterday we enjoyed another grand drive to the Valley of Fire 60 miles northeast of Vegas--my kind of drive not much traffic and amazing views of the Muddy Mountains. The Valley of Fire Mesozoic rock formations were so unusual--really reminded me of the Centre in Australia. This area would be a great place for camping and I am seriously thinking it would be good to try renting a camper van for travel in the US as the temperatures are so much warmer than Canada and the evenings are delightfully balmy. Some of the places where we stopped were so so quiet and the expansive vistas rather gripping--ideal for camping.

Last night we walked a good portion of the strip--Palazzo, Mirage, Venetian hotel, Harrahs, Caesars Palace etc. With all the lights it was quite magical. We watched the water fountain lightshows at the Bellagio and these were amazing. We watched at two different times and the fountain shows were completely different with different music and patterns. Have you seen this while you were in Vegas? Kind of like a water fireworks. So beautiful. Thought you would love it. The Venetian hotel was something else. Can't get over the gondolas, St. Mark's Square etc. Also the Eiffel Tower and recreated French buildings and Caesar's Palace well its unbelievable. I couldn't convince Colin to go and see a Cirque de Soleil show--they have three here. Alas. The weather has been terrific. Going to the Luxor today and then we will end our stay at the revolving restaurant atop the Stratosphere.

Thought I would gamble but can't bring myself to do it. So will just spend my kids inheritance on frivilous activities. Have to go to the outdoor pool today as it is atop of the building really a treat--quite a different style than the Lord Byng pool. Take care and please know that we are thinking of you. After all my walking yesterday my ankle was really cranky. Hope you are out biking.
As ever your Curric Lab pal Jo-Anne


Hello Slot-Machine People! Pleased to hear you enjoyed Sedona and environs. We had a fab week there last February, staying with friends, from Penticton, who have a lovely home, in Oak Creek, just south of Sedona. I think you extracted the best possible from Vegas, Disneyland for adults. We've done much the same on our visits although never seeing any of the shows either.
 

Once I was back from Vancouver just had time to do a bit of laundry and then we were off to Osoyoos for the weekend. It was the AGM for Spirit Ridge and all the owners were put up for two nights with a wine/cheese reception on Friday, AGM for most of morning on Saturday and then a lovely dinner that evening. Chloë and Rosita joined us as did Sutherland's son, Corey, for Friday evening only, and their daughter, Nicole and her son Jaxon, for entire weekend. 

Electrician came just after 9:00 am this morning and put in another two pot lights so that there is more illumination over dining table, put up new outside lights, one at front door, other at back door leading into garage from patio, two electric heaters, one near front entrance, other near guest bathroom and then changed two wall plugs to match new white ones. He didn't have the right wire to move firealarm from near wall oven but will be back towards the end of the week for that. Curtis works extremely efficiently and with little or no mess. Still, I will vacuum as we are having two tables of bridge this evening and need to tidy up living room anyway.
 
Must away as I have a few errands to run, one of which is to take in the Brodie I use with the trainer as it has a flat! Cannot imagine it picked up something between when I had new wheel put on at Freedom and me bringing home on the car rack and then wheeling it onto patio to set it up there. Must be something in tube or tire itself so if this is the case I expect there should be no charge for replacement. Anyway, always something! Fondestos from Rosita, busy looking up recipes for how we will do our salmon steaks this evening, and Lady Dar, in Vancouver for her book club, in absentia! Travel safely, soon-to-be RV winter softies! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Spirit Ridge AGM weekend! Joe and Heather; Flamin' and Sarge; Daniel and Lori; Daniel was dragooned into wearing decorated chef's hat for silly contest; Last known sighting of Lady Dar!
I avoided the one-armed bandits like the plague.  Jo-Anne lost a massive sum - $4.70 - before giving up. Hi High Rollers! Trust all goes as well as possible in spite of the tight travel budget! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Rosita with felines! Rosita with Bridge Babes!

How many are coming tonight for bridge? Hello Two Table Three-No-Trumpers! Thanks so much for all the lovely wine, Carolina and Susannah, as well as the Painted Turtles, Lady Di. We missed you, Olga Polga, (hope you are feeling better!), but I was glad Michaelao didn't show as I had The Sisterhood all to myself. No chat about next week so let me know if Monday or Thursday might work for most. Fondestos from Rosita. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Rosita with Bridge Babes! Hi Patrick. Thanks for hosting. I left the book.😱..head not on. I will come by tomorrow morning around 10 am. If you are out please leave it on the bench in front of your house. Thanks you. Dianne

Monday works for me. And I will be happy to host as my place is ready for business again. Let me know if you would like to play,. Hugs to all, OllyThsnks for invite to bridge again! Let me know if you need my presence to complete a table!! Judy Thanks Patrick. Monday works for me next week. Dianne Hi Patrick,
I might be able to help you in harassing the Sisterhood next week. Cheers Mike

Is there room for me to play tonight? Carol

Terravista November Wine Club Shipment I will get it picked up by Pat Dunn 

International photo gallery of libraries: <https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/10/a-photo-appreciation-of-libraries/573811/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=atlantic-daily-newsletter&utm_content=20181026&silverid-ref=MzEwMTkwMTU4OTc3S0>

Hi Pat and Corinne, I'm thrilled to say that we will be able to come for a visit. My Mom in Lumby has graciously volunteered to babysit the puppies. We look forward to seeing all of you soon! Ruth P.S. Please let us know what you would like us to bring, besides wine and an appetite for bridge. I could bring a dinner, if you like.Looking forward to seeing you! Don’t worry about food. See you Friday night. Corinne  



No comments:

Post a Comment