Friday 19 October 2018

'Twas a Sunny Day and All the Birds Were Singing Blues: Friday, October 19th!

The same people who can deny others everything are famous for refusing themselves nothing. -Leigh Hunt, poet and essayist (19 Oct 1784-1859) 





Hello René! Trust you are well and that Terry's condition has improved, greatly. I do apologize for not being in touch sooner but I had to wait until our book club met, (last night), to determine when we might meet with you. It now seems that early December is best for most of group. Would you be able to join us on one of the evenings during the week of December 3rd-7th, preferably on Thursday, December 6th, as group favoured this date? Of course, we will accommodate your preference. [Location to be determined but we can arrange for your transportation to/from wherever gathering will be held.] Furthermore, I have orders for seven copies of your book and I could arrange to pick them up at your home, if that might work.

[In the months leading up to the 1860 presidential election, Abraham Lincoln and his friends used this handball in heated contests in a Springfield, Illinois, alley.] At any rate, please let me know your thoughts on this matter and we'll plan accordingly. Alternatively, should early December not be convenient for you, the book club would still be interested in discussing A Childhood Adrift in 2019, date to be determined. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi, Patrick: My mother would be very pleased to receive a box of Galas. She uses them in all sorts of ways, from apple sauce (very good for her much compromised dentition), to pies, to crisps and cobblers. Thanks!  At this time of year, I can pretty much guarantee that there will be lots of parking available in the lot at Van Dusen. Even in the summer, when it's occasionally under pressure, it is generally easy to find parking on nearby side streets, although I've only actually had to do that once or twice. (The only truly challenging time is during the Festival of Lights at Christmas). 

Photo: John Rudolph
It sounds like a good plan to call once you are "checked in" at Harbour
Terrace and we can plan to meet at the Gardens. Even if weather is less
than ideal, we can hang out in the coffee shop. And do the apple transfer! I'm free until around 5 p.m.
See you next week . . . looking forward to it. Janet

Hi Apple Blossom Girl! Pleased as punch that your mom will take a box of Galas! As you say, we can orchestrate the "covert apple transfer" in the Van Dusen parking lot. Meeting there will make it easy for me, so thanks for that. I will phone once I'm at Harbour Terrace. At the moment I'm hoping to be on the road reasonably early on Tuesday morning so I hope to be heading to Van Dusen between 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm, with any luck, perhaps earlier, depending on traffic, road conditions, etc.

Weather has been absolutely gorgeous for last week or so and consequently I'm planning to use my road bike today. Attended the PAG Kitchen Stove film series yesterday afternoon to see Leave No Trace, a wrenching, "endearing and complex coming-of-age story following a PTSD-inflicted veteran and widower living off the grid with his teenage daughter, set against the rugged backdrop of the Pacific Northwest", Portland and southern Washington, in particular. Winter's Bone, 2010, was an earlier film by Debra Granik, and both portray/explore the kinds of families rarely seen on the silver screen, so credibly and unforgettably.
 

[Yes, that price tag is 14,600.00, but the good news is it’s in canadian dollars. can’t imagine what it would be with tax in (taken at duty free shop)Wow! Distilled 1946! Impressive. How much for one shot?!!!😉🥃

Hi High Rollers!
Seems like a stocking stuffer to me! Cheers, Patrizzio! A bit pricey for me Patrick. Yes I've heard of this distillery before. Some of its prior year production has been scooped up by private bottlers and is available at reasonable prices. e.g. a current offering listed in the latest edition of the Malt Messenger via Kensington Wine Market in Calgary shows a Cadenhead Linkwood Cask 2006 available for $ 110. Cheers Kevin Hi again, Kevin! Thanks for update. I'll keep an eye out for one you mentioned next time I'm at Kensington, one of my favourite malt shops. Cheers, Patrizzio!]


Also had our book club meeting, later that evening, discussing The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton, Agatha Christie with a rather novel, complex twist! One of members, Pam, was just back from seeing six films at VIFF. If I have any regrets about leaving Vancouver it would be that such opportunities to see so much exciting cinema is not to be found in Penticton. While I miss this, of course, don't really have time as so many other things to do and I plan to use "our" ALU trainer in Rumpus Room, this winter, watching Netflix, etc., as I pedal the kilometres away! Stay well. See you soon. Cheers, Patrizzio!

I can play only on Monday Xo Judy Either night works for me. Thank-you for hosting Carol Thanks Gill and Phil for hosting such a nice farewell game. Have a very good trip and times there. I will have to pass on bridge this time. Cheers. Once more, big hugs and safe travels Phil and Gil!! We will miss you guys. As for Bridge Monday night is good; let's play. Olly Thanks for the pictures Patrick. I can play on Monday. Dianne Thanks for the happy pictures Patrick, and organizing our next 3 NT. I can play on Monday! Jos I am available Monday and Thursday. Susan Hello Bridge Fiends! Looks like we will have enough for two tables on Monday evening so I suggest we host that evening as with Rosita we will have eight players: Carolina, Susannah, Olga Polga, Never on A Sunday Josinta, Judy Blue, Lady Dar and I, Wild Card Patrizzio!

Not to pass over Naramata Goil, I also suggest we have another game on Thursday, October 25th, [only evening free for her], so any Monday players who would like to participate, [and sharpen your bidding skills and pick up more fabulous bridge prizes], as well, please let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Again, we'll host. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Hello Bridge Friends, See everyone at Corrine's and Patrizzio's on Monday at 6:30 but I'm hoping but not sure yet if I can play on Thursday..... fingers crossed. Hugs, Olly Hi Olga Polga!
Glad you can join us on Monday! Cheers, Patrizzio!

 Patrick, Thank you for accommodating my schedule. I appreciate it. If Thursday ultimately doesn’t work for you and Corinne please don’t be shy about cancelling Thursday Bridge. Have a great werkend😎 Pam Hi Salad Woman! You naughty girl, you didn't take the salad! Will enjoy it this evening so thanks but you are too, too generous! We'll play Thursday's bridge game by ear. If it works, fine.

Enjoy "werkend" yourselves. [As you know, everyday is a "weekend"!] Maybe we'll see you at the Farmers' Market if you are going. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patrick, Thanks for organizing our speaker for our next BC meeting. I am looking forward to René's comments. I picked up City of Thieves from the library this morning. My son read it and highly recommended it. I won’t be going to the market tomorrow. I work at Legend Distilling this weekend. I am loving this weather and the fall colours. Spectacular! Pamela

Hi Strong Spirits Goil! En route to Summerland, to collect books from René, we picked up about 25lbs of beets and tomorrow Lady Dar, Rosita and I will dedicate ourselves to pickled beets! René and Terry live on Peach Orchard, not far from Al Tinka. They gave us a brief tour of their more than lovely house, (built in the '30's but updated), and grounds. Even picked walnuts from grass under the huge tree in back yard. After we left them we popped by to see the bank which collapsed at the end of the Dronker's property. The cliff subsided while they were on holiday in Greece. Quite something to come home to.

Later that night, we saw Josinta and Aarturos at a public lecture, on climate change, at The Shatford Centre, presented by SFU Associate Professor of Geography, Kirsten Zickfeld. She was one of 86 experts from around the world selected to write a special report on the implications of a 1.5 C temperature increase for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Zickfeld feels "that we have the technology and the resources to alter the current course of the globe to environmental peril, but the political will, most notably in the U.S., needs to be more unified." Very, very informative and sobering talk. Afterwards, Josinta and Aarturos, and a number of other friends attending lecture popped by our place for a drink and we ended the evening discussing municipal politics.
I agree with you about fab weather. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick. You left my name out for bridge on Monday. Should I still come? Dianne Dear Lady Di! I do apologize for not including you. To tell the truth, I thought I had but obviously hadn't! Yes, of course, by all means, do come. We can always use as many people as can make it. Someone will need to go to the bathroom or serve drinks so play can go on without interruption.

With respect to book club, talked to René this morning and he is delighted to attend on December 6th so date is set. I will pick up his book later today or over weekend so I'll have copies on Monday for any who want one. I'll send out notice to group once we've confirmed where we'll meet. I suspect at Josinta's place, in Summerland, but need to chat with her first. Again, sorry about not including you. All's well that ends well! Cheers, Patrizzio! Thanks Patrick.  Sounds like an interesting book club meeting in the offing. Ciao. Dianne

Hello Bibliophiles Thanks again to Dame Judith for hosting and to indentured servant, Kevin-in-Chains, for serving drinks! [Also of updated list.] As Her Judithness mentioned, René is delighted to join us on December 6th. I've just talked to Josinta, (She may well join group but wants to be part of this discussion, at the very least), and she has kindly offered to host, (Sorry Luigi but perhaps next time. It will be easier to "ferry" René as he lives quite near Al Tinka on Peach Orchard.), anytime after 6:30 pm. They live on Faircrest for those of you who had not been before. Appetizers and hootch of choice should make the evening as much of a success as last night's difficult, nay obstreperous gathering turned out to be! I plan to bring a talking stick for next gathering, to make matters easier, primarily to hold Lady Dar in check.

I will collect seven copies, ($15 each), of A Childhood Adrift, from René, this afternoon so anyone who wants one can pop by our place whenever convenient. Fondestos from Lady Dar and Rosita. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi again, Book Ends! Here is my email address. My fault for Judy's mistake as my writing is terribly illegible! Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio Dunn! Looking forward to it! DJ Hi guys,Yes I agree it was a great evening. Thank you everyone. Maybe my writing was poor too. Note phone # Thanks Colin. Where do you reside, Patrick? Hi Louise! We live on Burns Street, between Eckhardt and White. Cheers, Patrizzio! Hi Judy Sorry I missed. But now have a table to sit at ;) Here is my phone number. Thanks Michelle Dunn

Hello Hello Patrizzio: I will be up next week one day to get my book ok. Will put Dec. 6th on my calendar and will find out where 6310 Faircrest is when I pick up the book. Or will come to Burns Street and we can decide who will drive!!!!!! Have a great week-end you two. Cheereo and Lots of Hugs from Von Bingen 😊😊😊 Hi Von Bingen! Give us a shout when you know you'll be by so that we can make sure someone is home. Cheers, Patrizzio!Hi again, Von Bingen! Forgot to thank you for great recipes! Both sound yummy! Cheers, Patrizzio! See ya next week sometime………….😊
 

Ciao Patrizzio! I was delighted to receive your visit this afternoon and to make the acquaintance of Corinne, I look forward to our next meeting, the book club gathering chez Jos. Greetings to Lady Dar, Rene’ Hi René! Thank you for the tour of your more than lovely house and grounds. For the walnuts as well, of course! After we left you we popped by to see the bank which collapsed at the end of the Dronker's property. The cliff sudsided while they were on holiday in Greece. Quite something to come home to.

Later that evening, we saw Josinta and Aarturos at a public lecture, on climate change, at The Shatford Centre, presented by SFU Associate Professor of Geography, Kirsten Zickfeld. She was one of 86 experts from around the world selected to write a special report on the implications of a 1.5 C temperature increase for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Zickfeld feels "that we have the technology and the resources to alter the current course of the globe to environmental peril, but the political will, most notably in the U.S., needs to be more unified." Very, very informative and sobering talk. Afterwards, Josinta and Aarturos, and a number of other friends attending lecture popped by our place for a drink and we ended the evening discussing municipal politics. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and Terry. Will be in touch closer to December 6th. Until then, All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Walnut farm! Collapse and sitting in the sun; lecture and debriefing!

Hi Tourist Attraction People! Thank you for the tour of your more than precipitous lower garden! Quite something to come home to! Thanks for the fab java, as well, of course. Fondestos from Lady Dar and Rosita. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Walnut farm! Collapse and sitting in the sun! Wild Bill and Lady Dar with Galas!

Hey Patrick will pop by tomorrow , what time is works please? Senka Hi Senka! Someone will be home most, if not all of the day. I'm going to wander the Farmers' Market in the mid-to-late morning and will be back around noon, I suspect. Lady Dar's mom, Rosie-the-Riveter, will be home all day so you can collect book from her should neither Lady Dar nor I be home when you stop by. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thank you for a great get together this evening. You "new" home is so inviting! Talk soon, hugs, Aart & Jos Hello Concerned Global Warming People! Very stimulating, informative if sobering lecture. Pleased everyone was able to join us afterward. Please forward snapolas to those I 'd don't have email addresses for. Thanks. Happy Voting! Fondestos from Lady Dar to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Lecture and debriefing!


Hi Patrick Thank you for the apples and for your dried apple rings. They are delicious. We have just arrived home and what a beautiful drive--the weather has been perfecto. So sorry we will miss you in Vancouver. Good luck with the apple transfer. Meant to talk politics with you and Corinne. Civic voting day tomorrow--not sure who I am voting for. It is absolutely crazy the number of people running--21 for Mayor; 40 some odd for Council the Parks Board and School Board. Also what are your thoughts on the Proportional vote?? Anyways do take care. Best always Jo-Anne and Colin 
Apple Thieves?????!!!!?? As I recall you were ready to fill Jo's purse with apples and I thought you might try to dump a basket or two into our trunk. We will try to pass on the sentiment and dump some on our nephew. Rest of the trip was good. Stayed in Manning last night. Got a good deal on the resort. Otherwise a bit out of our price range. Election day tomorrow. Too many ratbags to choose from. No wonder people just stay home. -Colin Cell phone Check your text messages. Hi again, High-End Manning Park People! Glad return trip went well. Luxury! Sheer Luxury!!! Glad you enjoyed dried apples. Fondestos from Lady Dar and Rosita. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!








 

No comments:

Post a Comment