Friday 13 January 2017

Deep-Freeze More Firewood Black Cat Blues: Friday, January 13th

To move freely you must be deeply rooted. -Bella Lewitsky, dancer (13 Jan 1916-2004) 


Hi Patrick—I’m so glad all the goodies from our fridge and pantry found a good home! We’ve been eating pretty well since arriving here. I’m always amazed how inexpensive meat and poultry are here in the States compared to home. The fresh veggies, however, are no bargain … and the quality is not any better. In fact, I think the last romaine I bought at the Safeway in Penticton was way better than what we had here, and less expensive too. We had some excellent corn-on-the-cob and tomatoes, though, so all is not disgruntlement.

Add caption
Speaking of, we are getting used to our less-than-stellar accommodations. And, if the weather keeps improving, we might even get down to relaxing by the pool. We both really enjoyed Manchester by the Sea even though we nearly froze to death in the over-air-conditioned theatre. We were part of an audience of about 10 people. I think we were the only ones who “got” it if the comments from the other audience members were anything to go by. We’re looking forward to seeing La-La Land next. Yes, we have seen Nobel and thought it was another great Netflix series. Happy happy … and hugs to Corinne Cheers, Lynnie P.S. Pretty cute kitties ….
 

Hi Netflix People! We'll never catch up to you! Lady Dar wants to see La-La Land as well. Chloë and other friends have been raving about it. I'm keen to see it along with Denzel, in Fences, and Moonlight, something you must see since it was filmed in Miami!

Lazy morning while Lady Dar was discharging her volunteer shift at PGH. Just as she walked in the door I discovered that Duke was back up on the louvres again. I had noticed he wasn't sleeping in any of his favourite spots. Etta was in her "bed' in the garage and they both usually nap at this time of the afternoon. Earlier they had been s
upervising kindling chopping as well as a bit of ice removal from back driveway. Clear skies again, today, and sun had warmed some large sheets, (glacier snow!), enough for me to be able to crack them and push fragments into lane to be further pulverized by lane traffic. At any rate, I called for him, at the front of the house and then on the driveway side. No response so I tried the patio and immediately heard a pathetic squeak.

Took the stepladder to the fence and once I'd climbed to top, sure enough he was huddled under the eaves. However, little beggar wouldn't come close enough for me to grab him until I lured him with treats Lady Dar had brought for selfsame purpose. Now he is sleeping on the shower mat in our bathroom. He likes the heated floor! Miss Etta is in the living room, enjoying the warmth of the fire.

Lady Dar will do Japanese-style sliced pork, (loins have been marinating since yesterday), and tempura cauliflower for dinner this evening while we watch more Nobel. Think we will try to identify the mystery bottle of white which Senka and Bob gave to us at our Open House while we enjoy the lovely cheese you passed along! What a cornucopia, so thanks again!

Know what you mean about both meat and vegetables in the US. We found prices and quality in LA to be much as you described them. Over-packaging, particularly with respect to vegetables, is almost criminal. I still dream of the shrimp and produce we could buy in Mexico! Jugos Dom Pedro, where are you when we need you? Playing duplicate, obviously! Grand that you might join group!
Fondestos from Lady Dar. She just received an inquiry to perform a marriage on August 5th, the long-weekend. Money is simply rolling in!!! Good thing as she's spending cash like a drunken sailor! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Duke après L'Incident des Louvres


Hello Lads! Healthy New Year to one and all. Trust everyone is well. I talked with Grant at Dubh Glas Distillery yesterday afternoon and cask futures are on. Just to remind you:


Cask Futures are being sold for $2288 for small cask portions. A small cask portion is not the whole cask, it is essentially only half the cask. Our cask portion will be bottled and custom labelled for us at the 3-3.5yr maturity date (44 X 750mL = $52 including taxes/bottle).

Grant suggested that our group will be in the distillation line-up for March or April so that is when the clock starts ticking. [I will notify group when I learn the exact date.] This being the case, I will need to collect the funds from each of the investors. At the moment I have asked Branko to be the "clearinghouse" for those in the Vancouver
. [Roberto, I'll give you a call and come to the winery unless you will be in Penticton, at some point, over the next little while. I have you down for two shares. You can either pop by his place, if paying with cash, or put a cheque in the mail to me in Penticton. Please make out the cheque to me so that Lady Dar and I can run away to Bali! Individual shares are $208, 4 bottles. Drop me a line if you have further questions. Take care of yourselves. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Senka! Healthy New Year to you both! Still don't have Robertito's correct email address: Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups: The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Did I make a mistake in copying it down? Anyway, please pass along information on malt futures and I'll obtain his right address when he replies to me. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! No problem -passed on, a copying issue Grazie Senka T

Patriçio, Here’s another one. Let’s call this, “Ineffective bureaucratic attempt to keep dogs from having fun". Rebecca & I took Juno to the beach today. There was a delightful 5 mo. old Aussi sheepdog - with amazing wheels(!) and of course others. Unfortunately, 94.7% of the dogs disobeyed the last two rules on this rather foreboding sign … but they all had fun! The scary part is, there is someone at City Hall, paid by our tax $$$, who actually makes up this stuff. How do I get that job???

Patriçio, If the farm becomes a reality, kindly reserve one of the cabins for my exclusive use during my many (foreseen) visits to the OK. We will also convert the barn to a workshop and sell furniture and other useful woodwork creations rather than lavender. Weddings amidst wood shavings will lend a special appeal and the expected income can be used for purchase of necessary woodwork equipment and tools.

No probs re: banking duties if required. Hopefully, the investors will be reliable and this will not turn into a “herding cats” project! I think you have my contact info. The felines are are too comfortable and require a day job. //bjp


You can have them sent here but I might not get to Sun Peaks. It will depend on what dates you are there and my work schedule.  I can just mail you a cheque. WAYNE Hi Sarge! Thanks, just go ahead and mail cheque. You will have seen from my email that I only listed Branko. Will be in touch as soon as I learn more about proposed outing to Sun Peaks. Cheers, Patrizzio! 10-4
 

Hi Ragin'! I enjoyed the sign at Jericho and was immediately reminded of the town council in Châteauneuf-du-Pape which passed the following or: "Any aircraft, known as flying saucer or flying cigar, which should land on the territory of the community will be immediately held in custody." Introduced in 1954 after a man in the area claimed to see two beings dressed like “deep sea divers” emerging from a “cigar-shaped” space-ship, (cigar volant, as UFOs came to be described!) I could only chortle at the thought of your over-paid bureaucrat trying to enforce "No nuisance barking" let alone digging! I suppose, to be fair, it would be rather easy to legislate bureaucrats not to think!

Thanks for being my Swiss Banker! In fact, earlier this morning I talked to Big Al, [He asked me to be a guarantor on his passport application.], and he plans to send me an email deposit, while Sarge will probably send a cheque. Now, he is unsure of whether he will be at Sun Peaks at the same time. A few minutes ago I received a message from Paolo and he said he had just mailed me a cheque so that means only you, Mick, Colin and Georgio, (c/o Carlos the Jackal with whom he left his cheque), from Vancouver, are left. Anyway, herding cats continues!

With respect to the Lavender Farm, there is quite an extensive workshop area, complete with both a table and a chop saw, so would be great if they came with property. Like your idea of Weddings & Wood Shavings! Lady Dar is still pursuing various questions about property with Gil and Chloë has been talking to a realtor who sold another unit in building, so feelers are being put out. One of the cabins would be perfect for you and the dog, I presume you will acquire, once you move, to continue an expanded career as handy-man, renovation expert and new endeavour as wood-worker extraordinaire, par excellence!As far as felines are concerned, they do have day jobs. Both were supervising kindling chopping as well as a bit of ice removal from back driveway. Sun had warmed some large sheets, (glacier snow!), enough for me to be able to crack them and push fragments into lane to be further pulverized by lane traffic.

Must away to ride the stationary bike before Lady Dar returns from her stint as volunteer at PGH and claims the Rumpus Room. Will be in touch as I learn more about what others plan to do about payment. Thanks and Cheers, Il Conduttore! Pics: Duke
après supervision! Isn't there a bureaucratic rule somewhere about not licking your genitals in public? Unfortunately, I couldn't scold him as it pays not to be on the wrong side of a Black Cat today!


Patriçio, You know how I like to write - terse, clear, direct … So I can’t but wonder about … * Off Lease Hours: 6am - 10 pm Does that mean if you show up at sat 5:30am you have to keep your dog on a lease until 6? * Lease … outside this area. No sh1t! One would assume that outside the “off Lease” area is ...* License your dog Isn’t this a Vancouver City requirement, or only for this specific “Off Lease” area? In fact, I don’t see the need for ANY of the text under the map. It’s either already in force globally, or unenforceable. But what would the Dog Sign Department at City Hall do then? Oh, and your cats’ day jobs are not strenuous enough.

Hi Arv! My wish that this never happens to you! Cheers, Patrizzio! [Hi The Sisterhood! This how Lady Dar handled her dealings with Telus yesterday! Cheers, Patrizzio! Where do you find these videos??! LOL Hi Chloë! They find me, I don't even think about looking for such things. Technology rant was sent by Filmer but Arv or Colin Naslund are usual suspects! Love and Cheers, Dad!

How Italians handle technology issues: <https://drive.google.com/file/ d/0Bxwq3zADp0PGV05KNEFZY1Nrcml 0U2NMVWlWXzZDTHg2Vl84/view?pre f=2&pli=>
 
Knowledge is power, France is Bacon! Hi Colin! Somewhat similar to Good King Wencelas[last, isn't part of the carol]looked out...or the "Under Toad" described by John Irvine in The World According to Garp when one of Garp's young children was afraid to walk near the water at the beach. The child understood "undertow" as a monstrous "under toad"! Cheers, Penticton is Snow, Patrizzio!

Buon Giorno Wildwood WOP from Manitscoldba! I don't know about you but I simply don't remember all the fuss about the -40º temperatures constantly in the news, of late, when I was kid in Winnipeg. We just put on our "garbos" and shoveled the snow off the outdoor rinks. Had to be careful about the cracks in the ice, of course, or your blade could get caught and cause a nasty fall. One winter, I lost three layers of skin off my feet and toes as they would freeze solid in my skates. Freezing was nothing, thawing was hell!  Of course we loved playing at River Heights, one of first community centre indoor rinks in city, I believe. Of course, you toffs in Crescentwood probably never played outside like the Isaac Brock Enforcers!

Loved the technology rant, although that was nothing compared to Lady Dar talking to a Telus agent yesterday. She bought a plan for her various devices for travel to LA and although she used, fro 95% of her calls/iPad usage, free wifi at friends, motels, and at Ayn's she ended up with a bill close to $500! Talk about apoplexy! Person she talked to before buying plan assured her, given her requirements, that coverage she bought would be fine. I know she did make a few "mistakes", [She sent me three pictures she'd taken with her phone.], but I truly believe that these companies know, full well, at the time coverage is sold, that most people won't realize how bills can mount up and simply see these as an easy money making opportunity.

Not unlike moving company scam I just heard about on CBC radio this morning. Did you catch it? People are quoted a price on estimated weight of possessions, [one bedroom apartment, etc.], but after move is accomplished but before possessions are delivered, client is told that weight was quite a bit more and now they owe twice or three times as much as original quotation! Company won't deliver furniture, etc., until such payment is received. CBC's David Common, [Originally from Winnipeg. Wonder why he left? Any ideas?], did a Marketplace story on this scam and weighed one client's possession before move. A GPS tracking device was affixed to the van and it was discovered that the vehicle was parked in a lot somewhere, and had not even been taking to a commercial scale. Of course, company's weight was far more than CBC's! About $1,000 worth more!

A husband and wife own three of the companies that have had the most complaints logged against them and on the clip I heard, owner said that sometimes mistakes happen, by way of explanation! Believe program is on this evening at 8:00 pm but you can also stream it.
Fondestos to Sally. Take care of each other. All the best from Lady Dar. Cheers, Patrizzio

Hi Patrick Don't send ankle shots to me!!  Brings back nightmares.  You are one tough cookie! Cheers Jo-Anne Hi Squeamish One! I thought you Albertans were the tough cookies! Thanks for sending along the In Memorium piece for Alex. I didn't know he was from Australia, Newcastle, in particular. We have stayed near there on a number of occasions as it is not far from the Hunter Valley, as you may well know. Quite a career. Quite a man indeed! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick and Corinne, Happy New Year! A bit tardy perhaps but who's counting time at our age anyways. Thanks for the greetings cards and the numerous local , family and bridge related updates and news items. I applaud your efforts to keep the rowdy bridge revellers on the go but also in check (in particular your refereeing of certain dubious bridge protocols attempted by Mike). Glad to see all is well in the real world up North. Sorry to read about Penticton's snow, cold and miserable weather but at least there's no wild fires to contend with. It hasn't been a bumper December/January here for sunshine; mostly cloudy skies, some rain and, for heaven's sake, even snow on xmas day! Most unArizonan. I'm going to ask for a refund on my Arizona sales tax if this continues.

We're headed down to Mexico to visit Gill's dentist soon. She's kindly arranged for me to get some drilling done too. Hopefully, we can spend a few sunny days in Organ Pipe National Monument, which is on the Mexico border. On our last visit we found the cacti and bushes in bloom so maybe we'll get similarly lucky this time around. We go there after Trump takes power so maybe we'll get arrested as suspect illegals!

Twill be time to head home in mid Feb; we're targeting Feb 17th to cross the border, so if you could please ensure the roads are clear of snow and ice as Gill is keen to get out on the road bike in earnest. She's finding repeatedly doing the same short rides here akin to doing laps in the pool. Hope you're both keeping well and staying fit n active. See you in Feb, unless you're not there! Cheers. Phil and Gill 


Dear Sedonan Pentictonites, aka Philipo and Gilliana! How lovely to hear from Sedona! Healthy New to you both! Glad you are somewhat in touch with life in Penticton and environs. You are both missed terribly, at both bridge, and hiking but certainly understand why you are where you are. Lady Dar insists that she wants to spend much of the next winter months further south. However, according to your account and reports from our friends, Lynne and Peter, from Naramata, in Florida for next two months, weather is unseasonably cold.

In this vein, thanks again for all the firewood. It has certainly served us well this winter! Yhe cats also send along their thanks as they often curl up on a chair in the living room, enjoying the warmth of the fire, fueled by Robson logs! Must away to ride the stationary bike before Lady Dar and I head out to the cinema for the matinee showing of Hidden Figures:

Three brilliant African-American women at NASA -- Katherine Johnson (Taraji P. Henson), Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer) and Mary Jackson (Janelle Monáe) -- serve as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of astronaut John Glenn (Glen Powell) into orbit, a stunning achievement that restored the nation's confidence, turned around the Space Race and galvanized the world.

I will be here in mid-February but probably not Lady Dar as
she will be flying to Manitoba to visit with Dusty and Rosita. [Sad to say that Dusty's health is failing.]  Fondestos from her to you both. I'll probably cycle to Osoyoos to greet you at the border since I have already arranged with Department of Highways for all the roads to be clear, not only of ice and snow but also of sand and gravel from shoulders! Until then, trust dental work goes well, [What will I do, Phillipo, now that I won't be able to call you, "Toothless Wonder!"], and enjoy your time in Organ Pipe. Take care of each other and travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Black Cat on Friday the 13th!
I don't suppose letting it age in cask a little longer is a option 🙄. Your cheque is in the mail (as they say). Still freezing in Dunbar. Longest cold stretch I remember in Vancouver. Hope it is warmer in Penticton. See you at the Scotch tasting on Mar 10th at Performance Works. Let me know if you or your fellow travellers need tickets. If you have them already or want to buy direct can I claim you for my team in the Board ticket selling competition? Onward...Paul

Hi Paolo! Thank you for the quick reply and sending along the cheque. I understand that additional aging will cost approximately $50 per extra year. I don't think this will be possible with cask in question but I will put it to Grant when I take in the payment. Ragin' and I have three shares between us so I'll ask him if he is interested in more aging for one of them, if that is, in fact, possible. I'd be happy to allow you to buy into that and then we could split additional cost. I really didn't want to  raise this issue with larger group as I could see that it might have made it more difficult to get required number of investors together. Wanted to keep cost as low as possible and simply try a local product within a reasonably short time.

Furthermore, I am very pleased with the Shelter Point malt, of similar age,  I received upon our return to Penticton. I'll bring in a bottle to Dram weekend and you can see what you think. I already bought my ticket but certainly claim me for your competition. I don't know if Sarge needs a ticket as he is in charge of volunteers for event. I'm going to the VIP early opening. I'll mention you to any others I might know who wish to attend. I agree with you about longest cold stretch for Vancouver. Cheers, Patrizzio!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment