Wednesday 11 January 2017

Lady Dar's Lavendar Farm Dream Home Blues: Wednesday, January 11th!

Our lives are like islands in the sea, or like trees in the forest. The maple and the pine may whisper to each other with their leaves ... But the trees also commingle their roots in the darkness underground, and the islands also hang together through the ocean's bottom. -William James, psychologist and philosopher (11 Jan 1842-1910) 


Good Morning Bridge Folk! Thanks so much for hosting, Josinta, and for chauffeuring, Jeeves, aka Naramata Pamela, and for only making three mistakes all night, Michaelo! Thanks, as well, to Aarturo, for the wonderful drams of malt and too all the providers of wine. For my part, I'm still annoyed with myself for forgetting to bring along my camera as there were many telling chances to record the wild and woolly play of the first bridge gathering of 2017. Nevertheless, I offer a couple of snaps of my phenomenal bridge prizes, direct from Josinta's drawer labelled "One person's junk, is another's treasure!"

As decided, upon waving goodbye to the denizens of Il Palazzo di Jenever, we will reconvene, next week, at Spumoni's, at 6:30 pm, on Wednesday, January 18th. Please confirm so that our hostess has enough walnuts on hand! Cheers, Patrizzio!

You always bring a smile on my face, even in serious times. Enjoy the day! Jos 

Thanks Patrick for counting,
because I lost the count somewhere in the middle of the night. Might be one glass of the fabulous red wine, I brought in, too many. Cheers. PS Do you count it as my mistake, when you hid one of my cards when I was to win a bid, so we had to void this game? Mike


Hi Michaelo: Thanks for reminding me about what is now mistake #4, by pointing out the fact that it was you who obviously misplayed a card, resulting in the necessity to void the game. I'm more than delighted that your guilty conscience prompted you to admit this fact, even if instinct for character self-preservation insisted you try to lay the blame at my doorstep. Once you overcome your completely irrational, deep-rooted fear of Chicago scoring, I'm sure all of these "mistakes" will simply evaporate. Your bidding will improve, markedly, and all the top bridge prizes will flow to you without the need to whine and obfuscate! While I may have had an Ace or two, up my sleeve, I'm sure this sleight-of-hand had little, if anything, to do with the final outcome! Onward to next Wednesday when we can put my theory into practice! Cheers, as ever, 'yer 'umble servant, Patrizzio!

Thanks Patrick for the assurance, and guidance as to my bridge game future.
Nevertheless, I will be watching your sleeves with more attention next time, because those asses of spade come from somewhere? Cheers. Mike
Hi Card Shark, et al! I promise I will only wear short-sleeved shirts, from now on, so you will know that I don't cheat! Don't you recall how insistent I am on cutting the deck. This is when most cards are palmed. You, of all people, should know that you make your own good cards by courting Lady Luck, not resorting to a Knave's tactics. She smiles on those who make her smile. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 Good Morning, Jo-Anne! Thanks so much for sending along Ann's obituary notice. From what I remember, Roland Gray was her advisor. Coincidentally, she died the day we left to drive to LA. Had a simply wonderful work-out at the pool yesterday, two hours worth of deep-water walking so very pleased with my progress in this regard. Bridge last night was a blast. Over the course of the evening I learned that on the last snow-shoeing outing a number of people took tumbles. Fortunately, nothing serious, and not resulting in injury. Nevertheless, one of the main reasons I won't go out with gang until the Spring. Even then, will wait until the ground is drier and footing is far more predictable.

Lady Dar is out running a number of errands and will be back around noon. She has booked an appointment with our realtor, [Gil Szabo found our house on Burns Street for us and we are very happy with him.], to see quite an interesting property in Naramata, a lavender farm! [Quite well-known, locally] Initially, quite a large chunk of real estate but owners have parceled it up and one Lady Dar is interested in is only an acre, or slightly more, with a house and another small building, the sales shop for lavender and assorted products. Lovely situation with terrific vistas over Naramata benchlands of Okanagan Lake. Still part of her dream to have a place with a view, as well as a venue for her Marriage Officiant venture. As far as I'm concerned, if she and Chloë can sell the loft on Wall Street for enough to cover the cost of buying this property, without having to sell Burns or mortgage it for much, then Full Speed Ahead and Damn the Torpedoes! Anyway, we will see what we shall see.


Chloë sent along this clip. Hope I never have to extricate myself for such a fence. In fact, we often must negotiate similar cattle fences on some of our hikes. [Listening to tortilla "vinyl" seems like a safer past-time!] This will make you laugh I think 😘 Chloe Bike woes! Hi Chloë! Take a look at this. {See below} Cheers, Dad!
http://geekologie.com/2017/01/cyclists-trying-to-remove-bike-from-elec.php

Must away as I need to chop a bit of kindling to have place toasty for Lady Dar's return.
Cheers, Patrizzio! Bike thing is horrible! Jo-Anne Hi Marps! For my part, I thought the bicycle extraction was hilarious. I don't think anyone was injured in entanglement or extrication. If you want gruesome, try skidding along, with exposed skin, tarmac covered with a fine dusting of sand. Fabulous sandpaper which does a very nice job of abrading bare skin, even right through protective sleevesl My ankle is still sore, from time to time, as there is very little flash on the bone there. This accident took place just a week before my hip surgery on September 14th. I was worried that surgeon might cancel operation as wound on my ankle, although not open, only had a thin crust of blood to seal it! I dream about electric fences! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Arv! What to listen to while you try to remove your bike from an electric fence! [See above] Cheers, Patrizzio! What does a tortilla sound like when you put it on a record player?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_NyayCTfS0


Hello again, Mescal Maniacs! Be very careful with the amount of porch cleaner you imbibe! Thought these two clips probably encapsulate your Oaxaca experience after a night of serious consumption! Still desperately waiting for Calamity's messagio! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Katarina! Happy New Year! Thank you for the lovely Christmas card. I do apologize for not being in touch sooner. It was a busy time driving to Los Angeles to spend time with our eldest daughter, Ayn, and our two grandsons, Pierre and Alexander, over the Christmas holidays. We returned to Vancouver to celebrate New Year's Eve with close friends and then drove home on January 1st.

Since then we have had to make a number of decisions regarding our planned trip to Europe. Figuring into this is, primarily, the state of Corinne's father's health. This being the case
I am very sorry to say that we have decided that we won't be travelling to Europe this spring. Primarily out of our concern about the state of Dusty's deteriorating health. He is 92 and has been on home oxygen since last spring. While he was in reasonable health, given his age and compromised lung capacity, this past summer, when we last visited, he has been losing about 4lbs/month since November or so. This is of significant concern, as you can well imagine. 


Lady Dar is still waiting to hear from her Mom about when she should fly back to Winnipeg. Her Mother might be having some minor tear-duct surgery so Mme Coriandre would like to be there to help out, and spend time with Dusty, of course. His deterioration weighs heavily upon Corinne, if only because of how robust her Dad has been for so long, basically, all of his life, in fact. Intellectually, one knows that advanced age usually brings health complications, of one sort or another, but emotionally, it is often far more difficult to deal with.
 

This, of course, means that I won't be cycling in Hungary or elsewhere, overseas, at least, this spring or early summer, as all our international travel plans have had to be re-thought with Dusty's current health issues. George, Corinne's brother who lives next door, feels that if their father survives the winter then he may well improve once he is able to be outside, in his garden, even if he is too frail to actively work it. Last summer he enjoyed directing various friends and family members on the tending of the flowers and vegetables he had planted the year before.  

Very disappointed, of course, about not being able to connect with you, Katarina, but realize it is right thing to do, given Dusty's failing health. I trust your planned excursions will find the maximum number of participants. I know that Mary Lee is interested in Poland in 2018 as well as Hiking & Spa in Slovakia, in June, 11th-25th, and actively looking for travel mates. For my part, I'm still interested in all your cycling trips so I do hope I'm able to avail myself of some of them in the not too, too distant future. Again, sorry for the delay in not contacting you sooner. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Best wishes for a Healthy New Year from Patrizzio and Lady Dar from Tinsel Town!

Ideas for upcoming birthday presents!! :)
https://fastlimited.com/collections/2-person-emergency-home-kits/products/2-person-deluxe-home-kit-with-first-aid

Hi Survivor Gal, et al! With respect to a suggestion for a Home Survival Kit, your loft will be under water by August 18th so the kit won't help! Even if the earthquake hasn't hit by then you only need a One Person Premium Home Kit with First Aid. Git in line behind Duke and Etta who have already requested a Two Cat Home Kit with Crunchies and Canned Pumpkin! A few minutes ago Nana walked down to our dentist, on Front Street, to collect her mouth guard. While sleeping, she grinds her teeth and clenches her jaw so all sorts of nasty side effects. Cheers, Dad! Pics: Lavender Farm and Duke, sleeping on shower mat in our bathroom!

YEA! Home at last and will continue my recovery further while catching up
on the paper work and laundry etc around here over the next few days as we are expecting my sis Annie and her hubby Herve who will visiting us until Thursday when they leave for a 3 month travel,the first stop being Australia
where their youngest son Neil, now lives on work as a physiotherapist. Have a good weekend you two love birds! Oh! You two Etta and Duke.\ Hugs, Olly


Hi Rolly Polly! Welcome home! Too, too bad you couldn't have made Tuesday's game as there were six of us. With seven, dummy could fill in. Anyway, don't overdo things, now that you are back as we want to see you next Wednesday!
Must away as I need to chop a bit of kindling to continue to have place toasty for Lady Dar as I'm off to the pool shortly. Cheers, Patrizzio!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment