Saturday 21 January 2017

Post-Inauguration Women's March on Washington Blues: Saturday, January 21st!

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. ― Groucho Marx


“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx

Hello Bibliophiles Everywhere! When in Vancouver, I belonged to a wonderful reading group, officially known as The Non-Readers Book Club, as many of our members, [Not myself or Whirlygig, one of the founding members, I should add!], never managed to finish a given work in time for the monthly/bi-monthly discussion, (depending on season and schedules), sometimes acrimonious gathering! Nevertheless, it was always a vibrant evening with loads of spirited debate and plenty of laughs.

This being the case, I have decided that I would like to start a fledgling chapter of said book club, here in Penticton. Consider this an invitation to join, if interested. Although the membership in Vancouver was open to both sexes no women ever joined. I trust that this will not be the case here, if the club brings itself to The South Okanagan!

Should this happen, I suggest some broad, initial guidelines, which can be modified or dispensed with altogether, it goes without saying, as things evolve. Reading list will be wide open but some thought should probably be given as to how relatively easy it might be to obtain a desired title. Everyone will have the opportunity to suggest a book and when this title is to be discussed individual putting forward the title will provide a brief introduction to author and work but other than that will not necessarily be responsible for leading rest of discussion.

Furthermore, I must say that I was reluctant to join a book club but very quickly realized that this was the best thing that had happened to me in some time. I ended up reading titles I most likely would never have chosen, given my predilection for certain authors, genres, etc.
“If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.” ― Haruki Murakami

In Vancouver the group usually met at our place as one of the participants was in a wheelchair and our condo was easily accessible to him. However, rotating hosting venue is certainly an option, depending on what participants would like and geographic spread of members. Day of the week, time and frequency of meetings which would suit most are obviously crucial factors as I know that everyone leads remarkably busy, full lives.

As stated, this is a shotgun invitation to see how many of you might be interested. Once I have some sense of numbers I'll tailor the list to target those expressing a desire to form a reading circle and organize an initial gathering. Let me know what you think and I'll plan accordingly. Must away as I have to plough through the last few pages, (1,225!), of War and Peace,
(“′Classic′ - a book which people praise and don't read.” Mark Twain), to finish! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Judi, increasing the number in the book club was discussed on Wednesday and the decision was to leave it at the present size. There were a number of other members who have friends who want to join and had not been allowed.
Be that as it is, Patrick has decided to start a book club and would be happy to have you as a member. I've included his email here so that if you are interested you can let him know. Don't know if I'm invited or not! He was in an all male book club in Vancouver and really enjoyed it. See you soon, Cheers Corinne


Count me in Patrick. I've been looking for a group to join! Hi Luigi! Absolutely delighted to hear from you and know you are keen to be part of the proposed group. You are first to reply so you'll be a founding member! As such you will receive a number of the book badges I plan to have made. You can then affix them to hiking gear so that the hoi polloi will know you are a member of the hoi aristoi! Also allows you fantastic discounts at local bookstores, restaurants and on all airlines! Travel, almost for free, without spending much on your reading matter!
 
Will be in touch as I learn more about who is interested in book club. Look forward to seeing you at some point in the not too, too distant future. All the best. Hello and best wishes to Mad Max. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick: I am interested in your book club if there are other ladies in attendance as well. Of course a lot would count on the evening that is chosen, and how often you would meet. I am like you and wouldn't do well if it was every two weeks. Keep me in the loop, and if you just get men - then good luck and have fun. Judi r. 

Hello Dame Judy! You are the second individual to respond. Lou Rutherford, (Do you happen to know her?), is in the hiking group I belong to and she said she has been looking for a book club for some time so you won't be the only female. We wouldn't be meeting but once a month, perhaps every six weeks or two months, depending on what people feel like. Will be in touch as replies come in. 

Just back from the Art Gallery where we spent about two hours listening to two of the artists with current exhibitions there. Joy Munt is drawn to the landscapes of the Prairies where she grew up or to those of the West Coast of her adult years. She applies numerous layers of paint to a given wooden base and then power sands the surfaces, polishing and smoothing. Very, very dramatic works. Clayton Gauthier, on the other hand, uses a computer graphics program to realize his stunning depiction of the salmon run. All of the life cycle stages are remarkable and unbelievably vibrant, each pulsing with life and energy. Both are certainly well worth a visit. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Joy Munt; Clayton Gauthier holding the children's book made up of the plates on display.

It's Dame Judi! And that is great news. the only night I can't attend is Monday as i sing with Musaic. the other nights I have great flexibility. the art work is beautiful. I will take a closer look at them all once I get organized for tomorrow's whiskey tasting. We had a lovely time at your Christmas open house. Once again, thank you for thinking of us. Dame Judi - with an 'i"
Dearest Dame Judy! I regret to inform you that royal protocol will not allow you to use an "i" in the spelling your name! Being part of the monarchy, your personal desires must be put aside. Please watch The Crown. This will remind you of your onerous responsibilities, especially since you are the regal representative, here in the colonies!

On The Sisterhood front, Spumoni, (aka Pam Krannitz), is also interested in the book club so The Babes are currently in the majority, with only Jake Snyder and I, so far, to represent The Brotherhood! Yet to be determined, of course, but Thursday evening is a possibility. As well, I thought I'd suggest entertaining an afternoon meeting, should that be attractive to group, given everyone's full schedules. Much to be decided, of course.

Glad you and Kevin enjoyed the Open House. Both Lady Dar and certainly did so thanks for coming. I'm sure whiskey tasting will be a blast so trust all goes well. Chat soon, Dame Judi! [Please don't tell Elizabeth or I'll be in for a severe dressing down!] Cheers, Patrizzio, Non-Observer of Royal Protocol!
OK... then it will be Dame Judith. A proper, a very dignified name, don't you think. aka Judi
Dearest Dame Judith! In my heart of hearts, you will always be "Dame Judi"! Your essential Judithness will always shine through, no matter which throne you grace! Cheers, 'Yer ever so 'umble courtier and servant, Patrizzio!

Hi!! Patrizzio .............. Thank you very much for the invite to your proposed book club & I wish you luck in finding new members to join. I will graciously decline your invite since I have 'Narcolepsy' meaning that I fall asleep after reading page 2. So I don't think that I can read a book & discuss the contents since I would not be able to finish the book in a timely fashion.

On the other hand, I LOVE all sorts of physical activities, ie. hiking, running, biking, climbing and power walking. Along with playing games: Mah Jong, Cribbage, Euchre, Scrabble, Rummikub and card games. So, if you are looking for someone to partake in any of the above activities, I would be game. Thanks for thinking of me. See you soon for a visit & share in a glass of wine.
Cheers!! Mary Lee :-)


Hello Darling Narcolept! Sorry that you won't be joining the book club. So far Luigi, (Lou Rutherford), and Dame Judy, (Judi Ritcey), will be part of group. I'm still keen on learning Maj Jong so I'll definitely keep you in mind for other games as well. Be great to quaff some wine together, at some point. Fondestos from Lady Dar, another victim of narcolepsy, snoozing in an armchair, in front of the fire, her open book on her lap! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Real Narcolept!
Hello Itineratii! Trust you are both well, "one step ahead of the shoe shine/Two steps away from the county line", not "hard nosing the highway"! No complaints here. Thought you might be interested in my latest venture to revive the moribund Non-Readers Book Club. I'm will be using the Piglet funds as seed money, for maltage, not books! As I was composing this missive I had my first reply, from a member of hiking group, Lou Rutherford, a lovely woman who lives up above KVR in Naramatia. Her son, Mad Max, works part-time at Cannery Brewing. Travel safely. Still desperately seeking visual confirmation of travels in exotic lands! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Osoyoos! Trust you are both well! Duke and Etta were very pleased with Norman Rockwell painting! Lady Dar just completed her plans to fly back to Winnipeg. She will fly on February 14th to stay with Pamela. George will bring Rosita into city next day and mother and daughter will stay at the Fort Garry night before Clarisse's tear-duct surgery! Hang the expense!!!  Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick I will drop my cheque off at Branko's house this morning, sorry for my tardy response. Cheers Mick Hi Ragin'! Still haven't heard from Colin. Has The Jackal delivered the goods? Mick messaged he would drop by your place this morning. Paul's cheque has been mailed. Thought you might like this picture as it shows that felines take better care of their owners than do pooches! Too bad, Juno! Cheers, Il Conduttore! Pic: Norman Rockwell - "Cat Prevents House Fire"

Patriçio, I have Mick’s cheque; will follow up on the Jackal. w.r.t. the cat’s motive, a fire may have been prevented. but at a huge cost! Hi Clearinghouse Man! Had a message from Colin and his cheque is in the mail so once The Jackal has landed, you can post your letter! With respect to cost, not quite sure which is worse, to live life as a eunuch or be homeless. Not an easy choice but felines, much like The Sisterhood, show little empathy for the harsh plight of The Brotherhood! All the best. Thanks again for being my off-shore bank! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

To the Chairman, Burns St. Caskmates: It is an old refrain, but the cheque is in the mail. May all my malt turn to water if this is not true. -Colin Hi Malt to Water Man! Thanks for mailing cheque. Had a message from Ragin' and his cheque and Mick's are ready to go as soon as Whirlygig's is delivered, by his brother, Carlos the Jackal, to Branko. All the best to you and Jo-Anne. Cheers, Patrizzio! 
Thanks Patrick. We saw La La Land and even though I actively dislike most musicals, I liked this one. Charming. I prefer "stoic Swede" to "pessimistic Swede" (alliteration don't you know). Talk soon....Paul Hi Paolo! Sorry to tell you, alliterative effect aside. The Gloomy Swede is not a stoic inasmuch as he moans and whines far too much to fit the classic profile! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Mick and Polly! Thanks for dropping off the cheque, Mick! Much appreciated. Trust all goes well in Rain City! Wonderfully mild here in Paradise so went swimming in the lake this morning until my limbs were ready to fall off! After I thawed out, we spent about two hours at the Art Gallery this afternoon. Now, in for an evening of watching recorded episodes of various regular TV programming, (Elementary, Blacklist, Sherlock), and then, on Netflix, Paranoid. Have you seen the latter? Fondestos from Lady Dar, alternatively sipping a 2015 Painted Rock Chardonnay, 14.2%, and then, after a brimming glassful, snoozing in an armchair, in front of the fire, her open book, [Carol O'Connell's Blind Sight, a Mallory novel], on her lap! Do you know the series? Author? I assume Raymondo is up on her work but you two are probably too, too busy grand-parenting, playing golf and bridge to have time for higher pursuits! (Glad I'm not staying at Faulty Towers on 14th, when in town for the Sevens!) Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Robo Man! Have been sending messages to Vancouver all day so thought I'd say hello. Do you know Carol O'Connell? Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Pat, Probably colder than the North Sea where friends and I used to swim all year round. We thought it to be therapeutic after Saturday's rugby, and we drove there and back on motor bikes. Sevens already sold out evidently (66 000 tickets). Maybe we can get a ride in over that weekend. Sylvia will be interested in the art.
 
Reading Ian Rankin's latest. While writing this book, he remembered that he had introduced a dog in his previous novel, so had to go back and rewrite to include the new pet. Sylvia gathered this snippet at the Writers' Festival.
Enjoyed, Before the Fall by Noah Hawley recently. Ray
Hi North Sea Man! Glad I bought my Sevens tickets when I did! Unfortunately, Lady Dar insists I take the bus to Vancouver on my March visit so won't being bringing my Trek. However, I may well be able to borrow one from Sarge so a ride would be grand.

Last Rankin we read was one in which Rebus comes back from retirement.
Looking him up on the web I assume this is Even Dogs in the Wild, (Inspector Rebus #20), while Rather Be the Devil, (Inspector Rebus #21), is probably one you mention. Don't know Noah Hawley but thanks for the tip. I've just started Alan Furst's, A Hero of France, which deals with the French Resistance. I'm quite drawn to his works and the time period he explores. Tell Sylvia to come up for a weekend to see the exhibitions at PAG! Cheers, Patrizzio!
I am interested.. DBJ SNYDER Hello Jacob Two Two and the Divine Vittoria! Delighted that you are interested in joining the book club! As of this writing, we have enough people to meet. I trust there might be more but we can consider ourselves the Founding Members! However, I must caution you, you cannot nominate a work you have written! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pat, It's 'Rather Be the Devil' I'm reading. Sylvia is off to NZ soon for a 3 week trip and then to England in May for Jenny's wedding, so she won't be doing any more travel just now. So busy with teaching and I'm having to do some prep for SAT's and Math 12. Barely have time for much else but try to keep regular gym work going. Ray Hi Full-Time Teacher! With all your swotting, you sound as if you are the one who needs a holiday, Raymond! Take a break and come on up and we can ride the KVR. Snow is pretty much all gone, except from the surrounding hills, so hard-packed surface of KVR is great, from our place all the way up to the Little Tunnel! I probably won't be riding my Trek until the street shoulders are cleaned of all the sand and gravel but my Brodie, with its wider tires, is fine. Might even ride to pool tomorrow if rain quits.

Fine drizzle, today so quite warm. Don't really need a fire but Lady Dar insists! She is just off to yoga so I'd better lay a fire for her return! Cheers, Patrizzio!

I sent those pictures on to Nathan so he could see some from that region in Canada.....I told both Jon and Nathan about you folks; plus how cultures you both are, in everything.....o.k......I think you can see more of Jon Gatten on Flickr....that he has added lately. thanks again for that great info on art there.....A & S xxxx -Art In Public Places This is an initiative of the Elora Arts Council. Its purpose is to enrich exterior and interior spaces in our community with the vibrancy and beauty of visual art.
 
http://www.artscouncil.elora.on.ca/artinpubplaces.htm

See write-up in link for Nate's art hanging at Centre Wellington Sportsplex
Boardrooms Lots of meetings held there XO

Hi again, AA Man! I sent along that clip to a friend, [David Coffaro, owner/winemaker at Coffaro Winery in Sonoma], who owns a Tesla! Thanks for link to Nathan's work. Is he your grandson? All the best to you, Jokester, and Bridge Woman! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Pat, My address is on Snow Creek is right along side of Timberline where Ariane's and Doug's unit is. If there is another land mark up here that you are more familiar with then I can meet you there. Let me know how you want to play it. Trevor Hi again, Sun Peaks Man! Thanks for sending along contact information. I think I should be able to find your place but we'll give you a shout once we are close, particulary if we are having trouble! How goes the skiing?
Enjoy the coming week and we'll be in touch anon. All the best! Cheers, Patrizzio!  

 



No comments:

Post a Comment