Friday 6 January 2017

Early Morning YYF Airport Blues: Friday, Janusry 6th!

Reading is not just an escape. It is access to a better way of life. -Karin Slaughter, novelist (b. 6 Jan 1971) 


Hello Parsnip Folk! Trust all went well with check-in. Just wanted to say that I noticed, [or at least your on-board computer insisted that!] your car is low on fuel. Not sure if you'd like me to fill it up or not. I seem to remember that condensation can occur, in a relatively empty tank, if vehicle sits for a prolonged time. Perhaps technology has changed or I might be wrong but if you would like me to do so, I'm happy to oblige. If so, let me know the grade of fuel you'd like. Alternatively, I could chop up the parsnips, mix them with the yogurt and I'm sure the resulting mixture would make a great bio-fuel!
 

Not sure where you might have occasion to read this but we probably won't effect garage transfer until later this morning, or early afternoon, if needs be, so let me know when you can, and I'll proceed accordingly. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Floridians to be!

Hi Patrick, Thanks for your kind offer on refueling, but I don't think it's necessary. Thanks again also for getting up early and ferrying the car. Hope you don't have any problems. Enjoy the parsnips. All went fine at the airport, with the exception of Lynne having a pair of kitchen scissors confiscated from her carry on. Cheers from a cold airplane cabin. Brrrr...Peter

Hi again, Parsnip Man! What a drag about kitchen scissors! Could have been worse: a prized corkscrew, an open bottle of Shelter Point! Anyway, thanks for quick reply. Again, have a wonderful holiday. Take care of each other and we'll be in touch over the course of your holiday. Fondestos from Etta and Duke, [Both asleep now but patiently waiting for me to return!], and Lady Dar, still in The Land of Nod! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Let sleeping cats lie!

Hi Mick and Ted and They Who Must Be Obeyed! Sorry you and Elaine will be out of town, Ted. Lady Dar has offered to go to New York with Elaine so that you can attend the Sevens! Anyway, we'll miss you at both rugby and bridge!

Glad you and Polly are over your nasty ailments, Mick. With respect to an early spring in mid-January, I just returned from Penticton Airport where I dropped off Lynne and Peter, en route to Florida for two months!

Let me know about seating and menu items, Mick/Polly, when you've finished distributing a few grains of artisanal Wreck Beach Sea Salt on your front steps, Baldrick-like Mick! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Floridians to be! Peter is checking to see if his golf clubs have been unloaded in second picture!

Hi Goils! Meet the store cats of Hong Kong: While I was at the pool yesterday, Etta was on Twitter and downloaded some snaps of her cousins! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrice, First of all, Please pass along my best wishes to Corrine and that my thoughts are with her regarding Dusty..I'm sure it bears a great weight on her and also saddens me to hear as I like him very much and in a perfect world would spend much time gladly listening to his stories of what has been a wonderfully full life of different adventures.

Yes we are freezing our butts off here but the worst thing I have to deal with is that with the dry cold comes the cracks coming from the corners of my finger nails. It is amazing how they are affected and literally open up about a 4 mm. long trench right down to the bottom most layer and they throb at night. i try and keep moisturizer on them and have taken to using latex gloves and putting polysporin in the affected fingers to try and help. the situation is not nearly as bad as when I was in Edmonton and Calgary years ago over the winter months where every cuticle had one and was excruciating but never the less a real pain to deal with.

On the upside we are getting a great deal done here and I got the upper floor with the two bedrooms all wired up and Jerry is putting the finishing touches on the tongue and grove pine covering the walls and ceiling. there will still be much finishing work to do as well as carpeting etc. but it is looking so much better and you can really get a feel for what the finished project will look like.

i am interested in your wood fireplace as i am thinking of getting one for this new place, i have been weighing my options of propane, pellet and propane stoves and i still like the idea that if the shit hits the fan I can still have heat via a wood stove if all else fails or after the apocalypse. What brand and size did you get?.

Nice to hear about the proceeds from Lynne and Peter and that you can make use of their cast offs as I suppose it is like you might find if you were driving around Beverly hills..lol one mans trash as they say. I'm sure the millionaires must have some fortunate friends or neighbours nearby when they travel too. Weren't you going on a big trip with Lynne and Peter sometime soon?

Anyway I must get going as it is my last day here for a while and must make the most of it. take care for now and we'll talk soon. Cheers, Al  

Hi Big Al! Great to hear from you but sorry to learn that you are suffering so much from the dry cold. Sounds incredibly painful, indeed, only exacerbated by how you must work with your hands in such temperatures. I've had some very dry skin over the last few months but nothing like your situation. Trust things improve, and as quickly as might be expected, given current and predicted weather patterns.

Thanks for your kind words about Corinne and Dusty. I know it does weigh heavily on her, if only because of how robust he has been for so long, basically, all of his life, in fact. Intellectually, one knows that advanced age usually brings health complications, of one sort or another, but emotionally, it is often far more difficult to deal with. For your part you have had to face more than trying situations with your own Mother, so you certainly know of what you speak. 

On the brighter side, terrific to hear that the cabin work is coming along so well. Bravo! Given the earlier work I saw, I can only imagine how comfortable and attractive place will be. We bought our fireplace from Accent Fireplace Gallery, [http://www.accentfireplacegallery.com/], here in Penticton. The unit is a Regency small wood insert. With all the bits and pieces and venting kit, plus installation, it cost $3,375.55. You certainly know more about these things than do I but you might need a larger unit, based on area you would like to heat, etc. Anyway, I'm very happy with ours, given our requirements. Has two fan speeds which I like. Low setting is quite quiet so we can have it on when watching TV or talking with guests, over dinner. High setting warms things up more quickly, of course, but is relatively noisy if one is listening to the radio or other music, per esempio

With respect to Lynne and Peter, at one point we thought that we might take an extended trip across the US, in 2017, after spending Christmas in LA. They had invited us to stay with them in Florida. Furthermore, another friend just invited us back to St Martin. On a trip to New Orleans, again with L/P, in 2011, or so, we did fly to Sint Maarten, (You may know that the island is divided between the French and Dutch.], from Dallas, where we stayed with other friends. Corinne has a cousin in Florida and I have other family friends there as well, so there were quite a few "freeloading" opportunities! 

However, all this had to be re-thought with Dusty's current health issues. Finances are also an issue, with exchange, in particular, but we would also like to do some more things to house, (shelving in both living room and rumpus room), but more importantly, finding an electrician to figure out why plugs on patio and one in garage, feeding vacuum, are not working. If this doesn't cost an inordinate amount, I would really like to investigate the possibility of installing hot-water-on-demand. Require natural gas but line runs down back lane. New duplex next door is hooked into it so don't think service charge, for hook-up, would be exorbitant, at least according to chap I spoke to last summer when work on line was going on. Need to make formal inquiries, of course.

While travel is still certainly a priority for us, I must say that I find there is so much to do here, so much enjoyment right at our fingertips, there for the taking without any real or great expense, but with exponential physical and emotional reward, that I'm more than happy to stay here, no matter the season. Especially when such great friends as yourselves come to visit!

Looks as if my next visit to Vancouver is taking shape. Sarge and I are going to the VWF fund-raiser, A Dram Come True. Please join us, if interested. With respect to that weekend, Lady Dar has informed me that I am busing into town so I will have to leave on Wednesday, the 8th, as I've arranged a couple of tables of bridge for Thursday night. Fondestos, to you both, from Mme Coriandre. Must away as I'm charged with laying afire in aforementioned Regency for overly demanding Lady Dar! Cheers, Patrizzio, Chimney Sweep, Scullion and Hewer of Wood!

Better act quickly if you want to get tickets. We are open seating. Mick Hi Mick! Thanks for prompt. I just ordered two sets of tickets for Sarge and I. We will be in General Admission as well. I presume we'll figure out where to meet if we make our way to the stadium separately. We can do that at bridge. With Ted and Elaine away, do you need me to find more players? As well, have you decided whether you want to make it a pot-luck? Off to return the car to Naramata shortly. Have been watching the third season of The Fall last few nights. Do you know it? Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick Glad you were able to get tickets to the rugby. We will organize pot luck dinner for the bridge night and Polly will get players for bridge. We have watched The Fall, which I liked but am not terribly keen on Gillian Anderson.
We are currently watching a Belgian crime drama series called The Break, which is compelling viewing and because it is in French I almost don't need the subtitles!! I watched an Israeli series called Fauda which I enjoyed and made one realize what an insoluble problem the Israeli, Palestinian conflict is. See you in march. Mick


Hi Mick! Thanks for tips on The Break and Fauda. Look forward to seeing them. Great about pot-luck. Just let me know what I can contribute, other than Baldrick's wine!

Just back from taking the Lighthall's car
to their place. Felt a bit silly as I couldn't get it to move. Model where one doesn't use a key in ignition, just need fob to be close, as you probably know. I was able to turn engine on but didn't realize that one needs to have one's foot on brake at the start of this sequence, otherwise steering wheel remains locked! Took my neighbour, Norm, across back lane to help me out! To make myself feel better about myself, we stopped at Upper Bench on way home. Lady Dar had been notified that their latest Pinot Blanc, 2016, 13.6%, was available to wine club members only, (don'tcha' know!), so we picked up six.

Must away as Lady Dar just finished watching her soap in Rumpus Room so I'm free to watch Blindspot while I ride the stationary bicycle. Unbeknownst to Lady Dar, I've filled my camel pack with a couple of bottles of the aforementioned hootch! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Sarge! I just ordered two sets of tickets for the Sevens as had a message from Mick that they were selling out. We will be in General Admission, same as rest of gang. As well, I ordered a VIP ticket for Dram so we can go at 7:00 pm as I assume you might want an early this time since you very kindly traded tickets last year! [You need Lady Dar as your corporal as she is extremely proficient at barking out orders! Could use her for sure.] Cheers, Private Patrizzio! Cheers, Patrizzio! How much are the tickets for the Sevens?

Ski day at Apex: I would like to get a rough head count on any OF hikers who might enjoy a downhill ski day to Apex. Just let me know if you are interested and then we will schedule a day later (when I’m able to ski again) hopefully mid to late January. I was thinking mid a week day like a Tues/Wed timeframe and say 10 am to 2 or 3 pm depending on what we feel like…..but we will go with whatever the majority would like to do. We could meet at HH around 800 am for carpool or later at the Edge coffee shop at Apex around 1000 am for any early birds or anyone already up there for first run. This would allow those who need to rent gear to be ready to ski around 10-1030 am after coffee. The idea would be to ski only easy green or blue runs all day to make things easy for those who may not have skied in awhile. If it all works out perhaps we can try it again at either Apex or Baldy. For now I am only asking for a reply if you are interested and what midweek day suits you best. Cheers…..Kilian


No comments:

Post a Comment