Wednesday 25 January 2017

Speed Bidding Bridge Blues: Wednesday, January 25th!

Whenever people say 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it. -Brigid Brophy, writer (1929-1995)


Patriçio, Just took charge of el canine for 5 weeks. I expect to accumulate a large overdose of oxytocin. Next time we meet, do not be surprised if I exhibit an uncontrollable show of affection! pics:  Juno in the endowment lands; Squirrel up a tree. más tarde//bjp

Hi Ragin' "With More Than Uncontrollable Affection" Bull! Your envelope, along with Paolo's arrived today so I'll be depositing the cheques this afternoon. Thanks for everything. I won't have time to go to Gallagher Lake until the weekend as that is when Grant will be at the distillery. Furthermore, we are off to Sun Peaks on Friday, for the night, to visit with Trevorino, friend from Adelaide, up there skiing for a month. [His wife, Tina, isn't along ths trip as her Mom is in failing health.] Plan to drive down on Sunday, with Kjell, here for a couple of nights while Jane, his amore, is skiing at Silver Star. What is with all these Ski Widowers?

Quite enjoyed the Cookie Thief clip! However, Etta would never "rat" on Duke. She doesn't have to as she knows we know that he is always the culprit, Rambunctious Boy that he is! Great snaps of Squirrel Dog! where is the Davey Crockett hat?

On the fitness front, I have recently discovered a new program which makes exercise extremely appealing, particularly for those loathe to motivate themselves, not mentioning nay names! It actually works unlike so many of those Charles Atlas Flex-O-Matic gadgets! Give it a try and let me know what you think! 

Fondestos from Lady Dar, walking with the Flatlanders as I scribe. Hosting bridge tonight so must away to ride the stationary bike, as per the barked orders from Her Royal Difficultness, as she swept out the front door, in a fit of Red Queen pique, if not rage! Cheers, Il Conduttore!


No attachment Daddio!! Oops! forgot to attach clip! [See above!] Thanks, Chloë! 

Skiing today! Hello All, Sorry to say, but will be in the mountains today. Will miss tonight! Especially the doorprizes. See you all next week, have fun. Jos

Hello Bridge Reneger, Last Minute Michaelo et al! Grand that you will be skiing, Josinta but have the courage to tell the truth: your snail/turtle playing time has not improved and you are too, too embarrassed to be found out! Oh well, more bridge prizes for the rest. Without Josinta, Michaelo, we won't have enough for two tables, [Even so the dummy would need to rotate with seven.], so don't worry about timing of letting me know about your availability but certainly show up if you can. Shuffle! Onward!! Bid Furiously and Don't Worry!!! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick Seems like you are leading a very active life in sunny penticton. I can't believe you went swimming in the lake , we find it very cool in June, so must be close to freezing in January. Don't you have a nice warm indoor pool in penticton to indulge your swimming urges??
 

We are coming to stay at sandy beach lodge with the family this year from June 17-25 and we were hoping to see you and Corine . Will you be " chez vous" on Sunday 25 June? If so , we could drop by on our way home to Vancouver.
We are both fine and just celebrated Polly's seventieth birthday with all the family and select frIends. We had the party at Tom and Deb's house, which made a very pleasant change from the normal madness at our house, and I am hoping to encourage more of this in the future, especially now that the family, alone, numbers 17 people !! ( including five little girls and two baby boys.) but I doubt if I will be successful .
 

I'm playing golf tomorrow, for the first time this year, and I'm hoping the weather will cooperate. I "buggered" my back shoveling snow and it is still not right, so expectations are low, but it will be good to get out with the lads and have a pint afterwards. Watched " The innocents " on Netflix last night and thought it was an excellent and very moving movie. Keep in touch Mick

Hello Famiglia Carter! Are you sure you two aren't part of the immigrant families that Trump wants to prevent from coming to North America? After all, with 17 people in your extended family you sound as if you are likely candidates! Sorry to hear about your "snow" back, Mick. You need to move here as light, dry powder only so I usually only use a broom! Happy Belated Birthday Wishes, Polly! I'm sure party was wonderful and even better at Tom's/Deb's house, as Grumpy Grandad Mick mentioned!

With respect to your stay, in Naramata, in June, why not come up a few days earlier and bunk with us, for riding KVR and wine-tasting? Alternatively, stay for a few days after your stint at Sandy beach Lodge. We'd love to see you and if you are able to do so, we'll arrange a bridge night. Give it some thought and we can chat in March, when I'm in town for Sevens, or earlier, if you can commit sooner! Cannot believe that both you and Robo Man believed I was polar bear swimming! Fondestos from Lady Dar, to you both. Again, all the best! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Again - talked with the skeptical Swede this am. All is well with them from what I can tell. You'll be better able to judge with close proximity for a couple of days. Yes we saw Silence and found it slightly less than an unqualified success. Moving and beautiful in parts and certainly worth seeing but the pacing seemed a bit off - it's long and drags a bit in places. See it was ignored by the Academy in the Oscar nominations. But it is moving and worth seeing.

Looking forward to 20th Century Women. Favorite movie of 2016 was Jim Jarmisch's Patterson which hasn't opened commercially in Vancouver yet and was also ignored by the Academy. Safe travels south. Cheers....Paul
Hi Paolo! Your envelope arrived today. All the investors have paid up. 
We didn't arrive back home until after midnight following the watching of Silence. I completely agree with what you said. Furthermore, to be quite frank, I also found it extremely difficult to enter into "a willing suspension of disbelief" given our latest, national struggles with colonization, residential schools and the like, (not to mention our own Black Robe and The Orenda), in the face of the Jesuit's rabid obsession with spreading the word of their Saviour and true God. I also feel that Scorsese must have been trying to "work out" his own Catholic upbringing, evidence of which surfaces in Harvey Keitel's character in Mean Streets, not to mention The Last Temptation of Christ, if I recall and understand correctly.

However, I did "like" the remarkable moral dilemma which the Jesuits faced in light of the frightful torture and horrible deaths their followers were subjected to. That being said, this "philosophical" debate was not gripping drama. On the other hand, although I gather film was shot in Taiwan, much of its focus was on Nagasaki and we visited that city in 2012, particularly the remarkable Dutch settlement/enclave which was the only gateway to Japan after the Portuguese and Spanish were ousted.
Have heard but snippets about 20th Century Women and Jarmisch's Patterson so will keep an eye open for them. Thanks. Fondestos from Lady Dar. Cheers,Patrizzio!

We hosted bridge here tonight. As here were five of us, Lady Dar and I took turns sitting out. Pamela, from Naramata, brought along a delicious bottle of Port, a Black Sage Vineyard, 2009 Pipe, 19.5%. Perfect for such a night, relatively warm for this time of year but chilly, nonetheless, with the strong wind. Lovely evening but over by 9:00 pm as two of the gang were going on a rather challenging snowshoe excursion tomorrow.

Hello Hello Patrick: How is that hip of yours coming along. Are you out there running yet. I would love to belong to your book club. I could do a summer meeting outside with a nice glass of wine!!!!!!!!!! And Senka may even show up every now and then. We had a book club for YEARS. Hope all is well in your world. Lots of hugs to you both from Hildi

Hello Dearest Von Bingen and Traveling Winery Owners! Absolutely delighted that you are keen on the book club and that Senka may participate, from time to time. Fabuloso! A gathering at your place, with gallons and gallons of wine, forget about the book, will be Paradise indeed! Roberto popped by earlier this week to drop off payment for a malt scam that I have going. Hootch won't be ready for 3 years and by that time I'll be long gone! Maybe I'll hole up in Oliver. Any room in your garage?

Thanks for asking about my hip. Am very pleased with recovery process and was at the pool earlier today. I am now up to 2.5 hours of deep water walking so delighted with my progression. [I've been going twice a week, since before Christmas, but will probably change to three times, shortly, since I enjoy it so much and benefits are tremendous. Want to be as hale and hearty as possible when I start hiking again.] When I ride, my "basic" distance is 51 km which usually takes me about 2.5 hours +/-, depending on wind and how much Terravista I've had the night before! Essentially, I wanted to try to replicate time in pool with time I'd ordinarily spend in saddle. Looking forward, of course, to being back riding outside, as soon as shoulders are free of grit and gravel. Will probably start on the KVR before that as I have another bike with wider tires for the hard-pack, gravel surface.

With respect to the book club, I'll be sending out a message, shortly, now that there are enough committed readers, (6) to form a critical mass, (Luigi, Dame Judi, Lady Dar, von Bingen, Jake and Il Conduttore, aka Patrizzio), as well as a number of potential, occasional members, (Spumoni, Maid Marian, Dorothea, Guillermo and Albariña), asking for suggestions on meeting times and book titles. For my part, Thursday evenings seem like a time to start but will let the group decide. I will also suggest Lisa Moore's February, 2009, the story of one woman's grief after her husband is lost when the oil rig, Ocean Ranger, sank, off the  coast of Newfoundland, in 1982. I met Lisa at the Vancouver Writers Festival, in 2009 or 2010, I believe, and have a signed copy of the book. I think the work should be available in paperback and PPL has a copy, although it is checked out at the moment. Another suggestion is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, available from Amazon for anywhere between $0.78 to $1.96 and higher!

Anyway, I'll be in touch. Take care of yourself, von Bingen. Fondestos from Lady Dar, reading in bed already! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Patrick, Thank you for the wonderful invitation to join your book club. I am incredibly tempted! However, I already belong to one at the library in Summerland and I seem to have a hard enough time keeping up with the reading and making it to the monthly meetings. I'll be interested to know how the group is doing and what they are reading. Maybe I could make the odd meeting, if that's allowed? Good luck with it! Cheers, Marian Hi Patrick,
Thank you for the invitation to be part of a new book group. I am carefully balancing my current commitments at this time, but I do love to read and use the Globe and Mail as a source for my fiction and non-fiction top ten. I find that works well for me! All the best to you and Corrine, Dorothy

Hi Patrick; Thanks for the invite. Please include me on the emails. I will come if I like the book of the month. I don't like to read books I don't like! Right now I'm reading (just started), "All the light we cannot see" by Anthony Doerr. I'm quite enjoying it, though it's a bit long.... Pam
Hi All, Just to let you know that for BC craft beer, we are operating under a new URL www.craftbeerreviews.ca If you are an IPA drinker, here are a couple of beers worth checking out: Flagship IPA and Equinox Oak Aged IPA. Cheers, Robert French Chief cook and bottle washer The Beer Crafty Team.



No comments:

Post a Comment