Friday 20 January 2017

Inauguration Day Blues: Friday, January 20th!

When the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre -- the man who can most easily adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. -H.L. Mencken, writer, editor, and critic (1880-1956) 



Once or twice in every generation a line is crossed so egregiously that where you stood on the issue will forever define you. -Kara Vallow, artist (b. 1967)  

Hello! I think it would be a great idea to have buns and cold cuts too. We have mayo and mustard at the mountain. The lasagna is a costco size and the little men are not always biggest fans. I can bring a package of havarti cheese if needed. Just let me know Saturday morning. Take Care, Ariane ��������

Apologies Patrick - this slipped off my radar for a few days. It is in the mail as of today. Look forward to sampling the hooch. When is the ETA? Glad to have the rain back in the Lower Mainland. Trust all is well with you and yours. Cheers, Paul Hello Fellow Investors! I am still waiting for four cheques from The Vancouver Malt Procrastinators. Are they in the mail? Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hi Paolo! I am still waiting for three other cheques from Vancouver Malt Procrastinators. Once the remaining four are in my hot little hands I'll head down to Gallagher Lake to sign on the dotted line, next week, I trust. According to Grant, our group should be in the distillation line for March or April so delivery, all going well, should be in May, 2010, if aged for three years, October or November, if an additional six months is deemed necessary. I'm sure I'll have more to report once I've talked to Grant. 

Rather disturbed to learn of yesterday's discovery of the pipe bomb. Talk about an Accidental Terrorist! Wonder what is behind this. Almost comic if it wasn't so frightening. "I haven't been drinking or smoking, officer, but there is a large amount of Semtex in my trunk. I have a few tree trunks I need to remove from my yard in The British Properties!" On a brighter note, the Pessimistic Swede will be staying for a couple of nights at the end of the month. You probably know that he is taking Jane to Silver Star and feels he cannot stay for four days at the resort! At any rate, looking forward to catching up. Do hope we can see Jane, if only in passing.

Bit of light rain here but not as much as you, I gather. Has been "balmy" here for last few days and snow is disappearing, at least from city streets and sidewalks. Lady Dar is doing her volunteer shift, Information Desk, as PGH, this morning, until noon, and then off to a weekly Maj Jong game with The Sisterhood. This evening we are attending an opening at the Art Gallery, Re:Claiming The Taken featuring the National Aboriginal Professional Artist Training Program Student Exhibition & En'owkin Centre Faculty and Alumni. 

Must away as the chore list, left by Lady Dar, screams to be discharged before I'm allowed to ride the stationary bike while watching last few episodes of Blindspot. Not nearly as gripping as so many other Netflix offerings we've watched of late but I am commanded to choose only those which Mme Coriandre isn't interested in! Fondestos from her, in regal absentia, to you and Joan. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Maj Jong Mary and Spumoni! Lovely to see you both last night. Sorry you still battling a cough, Mary Lee. Once you start barking out orders at your game this afternoon, I'm sure you be completely cured!\Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patriçio, My cheque is resting comfortably in a stamped, addressed envelope, awaiting the Jackal to pop Whirly’s through my mail slot. The other Vancouveroid’s are mailing them directly(?). On another note, I have been unsuccessful in finding that garlic scape salt here in the big city … do you know of a source? //bjp
Hello Malt Banker and Delinquents! I have not heard from either Colin or Mick. Lads, what are you doing or planning to do about your share of malt investment, $208 per share? Ragin' Bull can mail your cheques, made out to me, as he will be sending his along with the one from Whirlygig in next few days. Please email him to arrange things or send me the cheque directly. Thanks.

Must away as my malt glass is empty, the fire needs another log and Etta and Duke should be poked
out of their extreme comfort zone! Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Ragin', here is website for garlic scape salt: <https://farmersdotter.ca/>, produced out of Cawston, BC.

Dear Patrick Really interesting. The fundraiser sounds terrific. It is Friday!! Yippee! Bestest! Jo-Anne Hi Marps! Don't wish your life away! Every day is to be lived to the fullest, not just the weekends! Here endeth the lesson!!! Almost!

Just back from a fabulous opening at the Penticton Art Gallery. A number of exhibitions, one of which, Clayton Gauthier: The Salmon Run, consisted of his  original paintings for his just published children's book. The other, RE:Claiming The Taken, featuring the National Aboriginal Professional Artist Training Program Student Exhibition & En''owkin Centre Facilty and Alumni. As part of the opening, a number of elders and students performed traditional songs. One young woman, in particular, a Navaho, studying at the Centre, had a simply stunning voice and to me, it was little short of opera, to put it in a tradition I'm more familiar with, such was its strength and beauty. Her self-accompaniment on the drum was mesmerizing, masterful. 


All of the performances were delivered with such gentle, unpretentious, palpable  heartfelt emotion that they were riveting even without one necessarily understanding the dialects in which they were sung. The visual art was just as exciting. We plan to return to the gallery tomorrow afternoon when Clayton will lead a guided tour of his works. Before that, Joy Munt will do the same for her series: Rain, Steam and Speed.

An excerpt from the exhibition notes:
"My main brush is a power sander.  It allows me to approach my landscapes in the matter in which I perceive them, which is a beautiful world of construction, stasis and deterioration and yet somehow polished and smooth.  My paintings are an expression – a distillation – of the impressions made on my psyche by the landscapes around me, whether it be the prairies in which I grew up, the West coast of my adult years or the short time I spent in a large Eastern metropolis.

My process is evident my art; it’s not something I try to hide, use and then discard, or disguise. The techniques and tools I employ – layers of pigment, sanding, scraping back, lettering – are there, exposed in the finished work.
The text I use in my pieces is often found on, or inspired by the text visible on shipping containers, grain elevators, truck, trains; sometimes I use randomly chosen numbers or letters chosen purely for what they bring to the piece graphically or compositionally."


We planned to have dinner after the exhibition but the wonderful array of hors d'oeuvres was unbelievable and unbelievably tasty, particularly the bannock and deer meat! I went back three times! An extremely vibrant arts community here in Penticton and we find ourselves going to many more of the exhibitions than when in Vancouver, even though we were members there as well. Funnily enough, at the film yesterday, we sat beside the husband, Stefano, of the Administrator of the PAG, Brigitte Liapis. Stefano owned Corfu restaurant on Broadway, near Alma, [He and his brother bought it from their parents.], before he and Brigitte moved to Penticton about six years ago. He now operates a catering company and his facility is just a few blocks from us.

Unfortunately, with the warmer temperatures the snow on the roof of his building melted and his kitchen preparation area was flooded. No real damage other than to roof but a mess, as you can imagine. I chatted with him, but  briefly, at the Opening and he said the leak was his fault, inasmuch as he hired someone to do something, (not quite sure what), and contractor's shoddy work was responsible for the leak. Now, as a home owner again, I can only sympathize and cross my fingers that the gods of dwellings will shine, beneficently, upon 611 Burns Street. I'm far too old to be worrying about such things but nothing is guaranteed, as I know you know or should know! That is why you cannot live for Friday/Saturday/Sunday! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: PAG: Clayton, bear is not part of book, as far as I know; Ravens, an indigenous take on "The Scream", an other student artist; Navaho woman and Clayton singing and playing the drum he fashioned. On exhibit, a stunning piece of sculpture! Weekend cats, they meow "Yippee, it's Friday and we get extra cat treats on Saturday and Sunday and can sleep all day!" Sound familiar, Marps?


Hello Pat, Now safely ensconced in Sun Peaks. The sofa in the lounge converts to a bed so you are more than welcome to stay. When do you anticipate arriving? I will talk to Ariane on Sunday about food and drinks etc. Look forward to seeing you both on Friday? Ooroo for now Trevor 

Hi Trev, et al! Delighted to learn that you are safely stowed back at Sun Peaks! Thanks for confirmation of couch. Much appreciated. I had hoped we'd be knocking on your door in the early afternoon, on Friday, but I forgot to figure Lady Dar's volunteer shift at PGH which doesn't finish until noon. This being the case, I assume we won't arrive, all things going well, somewhere around 4:00 pm, depending on weather and traffic, of course. At least you can ski for most of the day! We'll be bringing supper fixings for that night so don't worry about that meal, as well as makings for sandwiches for Saturday's brunch. Think this has most everything covered so we can sit down for an extended confab and catch up on everyone's lives. If you could send along address and where to meet we can give you a shout, if you have a cell, or else to room, close to when we will arrive at resort. Cheers, Patrizzio!

A Happy New Year to all you bridge friends. I would be delighted to join you on Wednesday night that is if you will still have me. I'm so looking towards it seeing you again‼️ Hugs, Olly Hi Olga Polga, et al! Delighted to learn that you are planning to join us next Wednesday, at our place, anytime after 6:30 pm. You are always welcome, Rolly Polly! And who should we bump into upon arriving at the PAG this evening? No other than Katarina and her friend Chrissy!  Super K is too, too busy line dancing or square dancing or Morris dancing to play bridge but hopes to rejoin group after April. In any event, those who intend to play, please let me know so that I can arrange the fabulous bridge prizes accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Next Monday Mike will lead us from the shooting range off Wildhorse Rd (off Garnet Valley Rd) to Wildhorse Mtn and maybe Rattlesnake Mtn. So we will meet at the IGA parking lot in Summerland at 9am and Pentictonites can carpool at Home Hardware at 8:40am. I should be able to make it this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment