Friday 22 February 2019

Deep End Blues: Friday, February 22nd!

Avoid the necessity of those overgrown military establishments, which, under any form of government, are inauspicious to liberty, and which are to be regarded as particularly hostile to republican liberty. -George Washington, 1st US president, general (22 Feb 1732-1799) 

Clover enjoying the snow!
A fabulous evening - great discussions, scrumptious nibblies, and excellent wines. The date of our next "Book Club Evening" will be April 4th, 2019. 7:00 p.m. at Pam Webster's home. Several books were suggested. Please have a look at the list below and choose the book you would like to see us read. Other suggestions were made however many of them several of the group had already read. Send your replies to Patrizzio. He will let us know the "winner". Please reply ASAP so that we have a chance to secure the book and get reading. Thanks. - Dame Judith

Son of the Trickster - Eden Robinson

Everyone knows a guy like Jared: the burnout kid in high school who sells weed cookies and has a scary mom who's often wasted and wielding some kind of weapon. Jared does smoke and drink too much, and he does make the best cookies in town, and his mom is a mess, but he's also a kid who has an immense capacity for compassion and an impulse to watch over people more than twice his age, and he can't rely on anyone for consistent love and support, except for his flatulent pit bull, Baby Killer (he calls her Baby) — and now she's dead.

[Lucas Cranach the Elder, Cupid complaining to Venus, National Gallery, London] Jared can't count on his mom to stay sober and stick around to take care of him. He can't rely on his dad to pay the bills and support his new wife and step-daughter. Jared is only 16, but feels like he is the one who must stabilize his family's life, even look out for his elderly neighbours. But he struggles to keep everything afloat... and sometimes he blacks out. And he puzzles over why his maternal grandmother has never liked him, why she says he's the son of a trickster, that he isn't human. Mind you, ravens speak to him — even when he's not stoned.  You think you know Jared, but you don't. (From Knopf Canada)



[VP Throttlebottom, Prez John P. Wintergreen, and the beauty contest winner Diana Devereaux in Of Thee I SingEureka Theatre, San Francisco Photo: DavidAllenStudio.com]

Educated - Tara Westover

An unforgettable memoir about a young girl who, kept out of school, leaves her survivalist family and goes on to earn a PhD from Cambridge University. Born to survivalists in the mountains of Idaho, Tara Westover was seventeen the first time she set foot in a classroom. Her family was so isolated from mainstream society that there was no one to ensure the children received an education, and no one to intervene when one of Tara’s older brothers became violent. When another brother got himself into college, Tara decided to try a new kind of life. Her quest for knowledge transformed her, taking her over oceans and across continents, to Harvard and to Cambridge University. Only then would she wonder if she’d traveled too far, if there was still a way home.  

 
Meet Rana catesbeiana.
Bloody noun!
Photo: Jen Goellnitz
Runaway - Alice Monroe

This acclaimed, bestselling collection also contains the celebrated stories that inspired the Pedro Almodóvar film Julieta. Runaway is a book of extraordinary stories about love and its infinite betrayals and surprises, from the title story about a young woman who, though she thinks she wants to, is incapable of leaving her husband, to three stories about a woman named Juliet and the emotions that complicate the luster of her intimate relationships. In Munro’s hands, the people she writes about–women of all ages and circumstances, and their friends, lovers, parents, and children–become as vivid as our own neighbors. It is her miraculous gift to make these stories as real and unforgettable as our own.  

 
Brother - David Chariandy

An intensely beautiful, searingly powerful, tightly constructed novel, Brother, explores questions of masculinity, family, race, and identity as they are played out in a Scarborough housing complex during the sweltering heat and simmering violence of the summer of 1991. 
     
With shimmering prose and mesmerizing precision, David Chariandy takes us inside the lives of Michael and Francis. They are the sons of Trinidadian immigrants, their father has disappeared and their mother works double, sometimes triple shifts so her boys might fulfill the elusive promise of their adopted home.
 
Coming of age in The Park, a cluster of town houses and leaning concrete towers in the disparaged outskirts of a sprawling city, Michael and Francis battle against the careless prejudices and low expectations that confront them as young men of black and brown ancestry -- teachers stream them into general classes; shopkeepers see them only as thieves; and strangers quicken their pace when the brothers are behind them. Always Michael and Francis escape into the cool air of the Rouge Valley, a scar of green wilderness that cuts through their neighbourhood, where they are free to imagine better lives for themselves.  
Propelled by the pulsing beats and styles of hip hop, Francis, the older of the two brothers, dreams of a future in music. Michael's dreams are of Aisha, the smartest girl in their high school whose own eyes are firmly set on a life elsewhere. But the bright hopes of all three are violently, irrevocably thwarted by a tragic shooting, and the police crackdown and suffocating suspicion that follow.
 
With devastating emotional force David Chariandy, a unique and exciting voice in Canadian literature, crafts a heartbreaking and timely story about the profound love that exists between brothers and the senseless loss of lives cut short with the shot of a gun.  

GOOD MORNING MR. PATRICK: THANK YOU for hosting last night’s book club. Fabulous, as usual. I’m for reading EDUCATED by Tara Westover. Cheereo and have a great Friday. Von Bingen…….😊😊😊 I vote we read Educated.

 
Hi Von Bingen! Pleased to learn you made it home without incident. Yes, it was loads of fun. Thanks again for wonderful appetizers and wine. Hope to see you on Monday. Cheers, Patrizzio! AND……………I HAVE A BIRTHDAY LUNCH ON MONDAY. Another Friend turning 70. SO AM GOING TO MISS SNOWSHOEING AGAIN……………..Will get started on our book. See ya soon though…………have a great Friday and Week-end…..:😊😊😊 Hi Social Whirlwind Dervish! Will miss you but understand. Cheers, Patrizzio! Sorry I missed the evening. Corinne After reading the reviews I too would like to read Educated. Dame Judith GOOD MORNING JUDI: I see you are an early riser this morning too. 😊 Just a correction…….the Author of Educated is Tara Westover. I’m for reading that one too. What a great Book Club get-together. Have a great Friday. Hugs from Hildi
 
Buongiorno Book Club! Thanks to everyone for the delicious, more than generous appetizers and wonderful, wonderful wines, not to mention the lively, spirited discussion. Thanks, as well, to Dame Judith for acting as Club Secretary, and providing the reviews for the next book selection. Given the replies, already in, and my vote, I decree, by the power invested in me as Despot Extraordinaire, that Tara Westover's Educated be our next selection. Thanks, of course, to Naramata Goil for hosting in April. Stay well. Read on! Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: First snapola: I haven't read the book so I'm just going to have a nap!

Thanks Patrick That was going to be my vote to. I’ll get one ASAP. I’m going to get personal with you and share my neurosis -oh dear- I love your photos but I don’t like having my picture taken ;(Can we agree not to include me in your photo journal. Thanks Xoxo Michelle Hi Cousin! Hope you are feeling better. We missed you last night. No snapolas of you is fine with me. Cheers, Patrizzio! Sounds good to me! Louise Sounds great! Nice photos Patrizzio! Dame Judith
  
The kids invited me to go out with them to the cannery tonight as they already had a babysitter lined up. (They don’t tell me anything!) Wondering if we might get together tomorrow M Hello Social Whirlwind! I thought you were on medical leave not a road tour! I gather there may well be live music at The Cannery this evening so loads of fun, I'm sure. At any rate, tomorrow is fine BUT Greg, Pam's husband, is supposed to arrive sometime on Saturday, driving from Calgary where he is on business. He plans to ski at Apex for a few days and his two sons, Cody and Dustin, are flying in to Kelowna, next Tuesday, to join him. In his last message he was concerned that avalanche warnings might well affect his drive so he wasn't sure when he would actually arrive. This being the case, he might not make it to Penticton tomorrow. If he does arrive, however, while I don't want to be presumptuous, is he invited? Let me know and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Apparently we are both presumptuous!! Rebecca has a gaggle of people in on Saturday nights to watch the episode of The Bachelor!! Can't understand it or believe they watch it but they have bets on who will get picked!! 😳 but if we want to get together at your place for dinner Greg may appreciate that more after a long travelling day and I promise to bring the nice bottle of Shiraz or reasonable facsimile. Let me know your thoughts M Hi Turn-the-Dinner Table Around Woman! Wow! How is it that I'm invited for dinner at my own place? Talk about Reverse Freeloading! That's fine but it better be a pretty damn good reasonable facsimile! Had a bottle of 2016 Terravista Syrah, last night, brought by Senka's good friend, Von Bingen, in hiking group as well. She helps bottle and is paid in wine! Senka brought her 2017 Figaro which didn't get around to opening as everybody brought so much wine!

We can compare it to your facsimile! Even if Greg doesn't make it we will still have dinner at the Front Street Brasserie and you can pay to make up for The Millionaires skipping out on their treat to Chloë and I. Freeloader Boomerang!!! Will someone drop you off or do you need a ride? Let me know and I'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Senka and then with Dame Judith; snowshoe outing on Thursday. Felines waiting for you, Flamin'! I have raised freeloading to an art form !! Never say I am not talented !! I will bring both wine and take you to dinner so you can not besmirch my good name!! M


Yes ticket is for you and I would like my table back. I need it for Mar 4th
Happy that you found some one Judy
Hi Patrizzio, Monday or Thursday night sound great. I can have the Bridge eve at my house. Just let me know. Hugs, Olly Monday for me, please. Susan Hello Patrick, Monday night works the best for me! Cheers, Jos Hello Bridge Sisterhood! Everyone who can play would like Monday evening so we'll convene at Olga Polga's around 6:30 pm. Thanks for hosting, Rolly Polly. 
 
[We missed you last night. It was a wonderful gathering and great discussion.] There will only be the four of us. Susan, if you come to my place, around 6:05 pm, I can drive. [Thank you, Patrick, I will be there by 6:05 Susan] Josinta, do you want us to collect you? Let me know and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Thank you Patrick for organizing and the offer to pick me up. Planning to drive myself. Cheers from a snowy Summerland. Jos

Hi Patrice, Great to hear about all your socializing with bridge, bands and hikes!. You are an inspiration and I believe that someone that other more idle types should aspire too, after all how can one sit around and do little or no activities outside of their comfort zone and thus let life pass them by? I’m with you in that there are so many things I want to do, places to see and misc. adventures to embark on that I feel I would need several lifetimes if not an infinite amount!!.
I Sympathize with Chloe and her plumbing woes as when we went up to the cabin last Friday our plumbing system was literally frozen solid. The toilet bowls were pure ice and needless to say we did everything we could to thaw out as fast as possible. Normally we leave the heat on low as the baseboards have a minimum 5 degrees they stay at but the minus 19 temps for a week overcame this. By Saturday mid morning I was able to remove the ice that was left in the toilets and discovered the one on the main floor was cracked from top to bottom, alerted due to the water leaking from under the toilet.

I went to Rona and bought a new one and had Jake do the re and re under my supervision as I felt it was good knowledge to pass along as well as the fact that they need to earn their keep! I also replaced the toilet tank on top of the one upstairs as it had been giving me trouble anyway with a leaky flapper valve and I had a spare tank from the recent cabin reno. Down the street.  After that I was ready to turn on the water and discovered my Pressure reducing valve was also cracked and needed replacing so embarked on that. Again luckily I had a replacement in my stock of materials gathered from the house demo’s happening in Burnaby that Jake’s soccer coach Ivan let me go in and take before the houses got scraped. That required some creative cutting and soldering of copper pipe and fittings but worked out well and was better that the system that was there that had been on my radar to be replaced anyway.



Finally ready to turn on the water around 4 p.m. and nothing came through which seemed very strange and made some calls to see if anyone else had any water issues but they did not. After some deduction I found that the water main coming into the house was still frozen even though it was in an area where I had a heater going for some time. I set a hair dryer on the pipe and let it sit for a couple hours, Meanwhile I drove Colleen to our friends Vern and Jill’s as they were going to music bingo down at the Holiday trails r.v. resort for the evening. I had decided to pass due to the situation at hand and didn’t feel too much like socializing.  
I walked Clover for a while and then came home and tested the pipe again and found that it had thawed out because I could hear it start to flow but I waited until I had the boys stationed at strategic positions to see if anything else was awry. When they were ready I fully opened the valve and almost immediately heard the sound of water leaking and a waterfall started coming out of the bottom of the wall behind the shower and down into the crawl space where I was standing only a couple feet away. Needless to say I shut it down as quickly as I could and uttered a few colourful expletives!!.



After going and mixing myself a stiff rum and coke I went and had a closer look and feeling there was no time like the present and driven by the thought of another night without cold or hot water and peeing in a bucket I proceeded to grab a crowbar and start demoing the wall!. I did this with as much surgical precision but as hastily as I could and soon discovered a broken pex pipe. It looked like it had been shot from the inside out but fortunately was in a relatively easy spot to access and even more fortunately was not the very expensive shower valve beside it.

I messaged Vern as he had said he had a bunch of tools and parts I could use for the repairs if needed, taking him up on his offer I quickly went and got the tools I needed and make a pretty quick repair which involved cutting the old crimp rings off with a cutting disc on an angle grinder which I know you are familiar with. Once done I called for the boys to man their stations and tried the water again, only to hear the sweet sound of silence!.



By this time it was 9:30 and did a quick tidy up and had a long hot well deserved I thought hot shower. Colleen arrived not too long after and very pleased to hear of the progress. Sunday was a very relaxed day and we just went for some nice walks in the snow with Clover and in the afternoon attended the winter fest over at the skating rink put on by the ratepayers association. There was a bonfire, hot chocolate, chili and prizes as well as some hot apple cider with fireball concoction that Colleen had dreamed up. This really hit the spot and I had a chance to catch up with a bunch of people I had not seen in some time.



Monday the boys headed off back to town just before lunch and Colleen started cleaning the aftermath of the plumbing fiasco while I headed over to the other rental cabin to change the code on the electric lock for the door as well as investigate why the washer was not draining. This has been a problem for a month but we had not been able to get in there due to people renting it for three weekends in a row. Long story short after tearing the washer apart I deemed it a write off due to it’s age and further troubleshooting seemed to not fit the cost benefit criteria I am trying to adhere to. So far this week I have not been able to find one as it is an apartment size and not a popular size…of course.

I got a call to come work on a Bat Woman TV pilot so went and spent Wednesday and Thursday helping them out. Nick who is running the shop has been trying to get me to come work for him for 20 years as he says and I have made it quite clear that I don’t want to work that much. They worked me over for the two days I was there, giving me a gas card and offering me incentives such as working part time or as my schedule allows so  might be a good thing. They start the series later in the spring so I will mull things over.



I took today off to look after some personal stuff such as a little repair job on the security gates of my friend Glen’s apartment building which he manages. We are charging a hefty rate and think it will only take a an hour or so and then will head to an Irish pub on the corner for a late afternoon meal and pint. Happy trails, take care for now and talk soon. Al Pics, spare toilet and parts, broken pressure valve, The boys at Winter Fest, Clover enjoying the snow, makeshift toilet!
Hi Emergency Plumber and Music Bingo Girl! Terribly sorry to learn about all your frozen pipes and related problems! What a complete and utter drag. Makes my sliding bathroom door off its plastic hook seem like a walk in the park! At any rate, pleased to learn that all came well, due to your competence and ability, Big Plunger Man, in the end and that you were at least able to enjoy Sunday. [Enjoyed all the Popular Science photos. Clover looks like me yesterday!] Glad your latest work is to your liking and schedule. I apologize for not replying sooner to Colleen's message inviting us to The Sunshine Valley Five Star Hotel over Easter weekend. I had to ask Lady Dar about our plans as I knew she had been in contact with Rosemary/Andre, friends from London/Chabeuill, [where I left my bike], and it turns out that they will be visiting us that weekend, at Spirit Ridge. I'm terribly sorry, yet again, that we are not able to accept your generous offer. Seems as if social engagements always come in clumps at the very same time.

A case in point is this coming week and next few days, as well. Greg, Pam's, [Corinne's youngest sister's], husband, is supposed to arrive sometime on Saturday, driving from Calgary where he is on business. He plans to ski at Apex for a few days and his two sons, Cody and Dustin, are flying in to Kelowna, next Tuesday, to join him. In his last message he was concerned that avalanche warnings might well affect his drive so he wasn't sure when he would actually arrive. This being the case, he might not make it to Penticton tomorrow.


At any rate, Toshi, our long-term Japanese boarder is in Whistler, on business, herself, and will be flying up to Penticton next Wednesday, to stay until Saturday. House has been empty ever since Lady Dar left and soon will be bursting at the seams. May well have Toshi sleep at Chloë's place but will make that decision when I know more about how long other relatives will be staying. Unfortunately Toshi will miss seeing Lady Dar as she has to return to Japan before March 7th, date Her Royalness returns home.
[Teddy Roosevelt in a political cartoon The Washington Post, 1902 Cartoon: Clifford Berryman]

Other than that I've been pretty busy with wonderful boot hikes, snowshoe outings, [Monday's below], and deep-water walking at pool. Sauna, steam and hot-tub are simply wonderful after invigorating workout. Once my right shoulder replacement, [surgery on March 12th], recovery, [six weeks +/-], is complete I'm hoping/planning to start swimming regularly again. Especially when weather doesn't allow cycling. Had a fab snowshoe outing yesterday but haven't had time to put album together yet as I hosted our book club last night. Grand time with plenty of wonderful hootch, delish appetizers and lively, spirited discussion about Michelle Obama's Becoming.

[After resigning, Nixon making his farewell speech, accompanied by his daughter and son-in-law, 1974 Photo: Ollie Atkins]
 Flamin' had invited me for dinner tonight. [She and Sarge were in town for long weekend. He drove back to Vancouver on Sunday but she is staying until this coming Sunday.] She and Chloë were over for dinner this past Tuesday and we had a great visit. At the end of the night she asked me to come for dinner tonight. However, just received a message and she said that Rebecca and Corey had invited her to go out with them to the Cannery Brewery tonight, [live music], as they had a babysitter lined up. She wondered if we might get together tomorrow so I've invited Greg along, if he arrives! Always a Freeloader!

Must away as I want to hit pool again and then have to do quite a bit of grocery shopping for coming hordes of visitors, Japanese and Manitoban Freeloaders! Stay well. Fondestos and Cheers to you both, Marilyn and Big Molly. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Flamin' and Duke and Chloë; Bridge Sisterhood on Monday; Nickel outing; Book Club, Senka is owner/winemaker at Terravista.

Olivia is on her way!! Heading to the hospital at UCLA Santa Monica. Sam went into labor this morning and is at 5cms!! More to come xoxo Soo exciting!!!! Chloë Yay! Sending lots of positive vibes to Sam and Alex.Here’s hoping it’s a quick labour 🤞Thanks Marlo!! Xoxo Ayn So exciting! Anymore news? Love The G Nana Contractions are coming right on top of one another. Sam is calm and doing well. She is hoping to not need an epidural and do it naturally. Good for her. How is Alex doing? Mom 7Alex is being a great labor coach! Congratulations to them both. Trust all continues to go well. Love Patrizzio, Great Grandfather in Waiting! What is happening on the baby front? Just got back from dinner. Love Mom At 8 cm!! It’s a lot of work this getting born!! That's for sure Does Alex get triple time?

Patrizzio, Thinking of and then came across these pictures. Glad times in the green room. Rita has returned from the east and we are getting reaquainted! Chat soon. Bill Hi Wild Bill! Bumped into Gordon Pasha at the pool a few days ago and had a brief chat with him. I'm just back from spending a few hours there this afternoon. Third time this week so pleased to be getting back into deep-water walking routine. 

Lady Dar is enjoying her last few days in Mexico before heading to LA for a week or so. Had word from Ayn, our daughter there, that she is at the hospital, UCLA Santa Monica, where contractions have begun for Sam, wife of our youngest grandson, Alexander. Olivia is on her way! All going well so far. Fondestos to Rita the Returnee! Cheers, Patrizzio!





No comments:

Post a Comment