Thursday 7 February 2019

Margareta and More Idleback Blues: Thursday, February 7th!

Language is mobile and liable to change. It is a free country, and man may call a "vase" a "vawse", a "vahse", a "vaze", or a "vase", as he pleases. And why should he not? We do not all think alike, walk alike, dress alike, write alike, or dine alike; why should not we use our liberty in speech also, so long as the purpose of speech, to be intelligible, and its grace, are not interfered with? -James Murray, lexicographer and editor of the Oxford English Dictionary (7 Feb 1837-1915) 


Hi Idle IdleBackers! Just a quick note to thank you both for the wonderful, invigorating outing. The company, beyond compare, the scenery, magical, the quiet, unbroken. Thank you for the gpx file. I downloaded a viewer/reader onto Google Chrome and I have attached a screen shot of result. Am I to take it that with this particular file I will only have a map. Not complaining but just want to know a bit more about this new file format. I haven't had time to play with the app on my iPhone but plan to do so over next few days so I might well have a few questions, at some point. 

I'm doubly pleased that I was also able to offer you a bit of hospitality after all the driving and helpful tips you've both passed along. I am now cross-country skiing in place, fortunately, for me, moving incrementally towards the malt cabinet! Thanks again. Stay well. See you soon. Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Is this Margaret's email address? I think it is but wanted to make sure. 
 
Hello, Corinne and Patrick! How are you? It's been while since I wrote to you... I'm sorry... I see you have been great through facebook and instagram. I'm going to Canada, Whistler again in Feb.20 to 28th. Would you be around in the beginning of March? If you are, may I visit you? And could you tell me your address? Thank you!

Hi Toshi! Wonderful, wonderful news! Of course you are welcome to visit/stay whenever your schedule allows. Corinne is actually in Mexico until the end of February and then a week in LA before returning to Penticton on March 7th. However, I'm here, as is Chloë, and Etta and Duke, so we can take care of you even if you have to visit before March 7th. I'll send a longer email message with address, etc. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Morning Patrick We will be leaving here The House On the Hill at 10 AM so will swing by your place at about 10:15 AM Thursday *|- a few minutes. See you then. David Hi House on the Hill People! Thanks very much. I'll be ready and waiitng. Cheers, Patrizzio!



Hello Pacífico Bus Woman! Wonderful that you are a green, local transportation user! Greeting to Janice and Grant. You'll be seeing Jane and Kjell Fairly soon as well. Will Chooch and Brunello go to Bucerías as well?How's the rum medicine working? You didn't mention anything about your sinus infection either.

Payment, ($161.19), is due on February 27th. I wasn't concerned about paying it but rather making sure it was a legitimate purchase. You can transfer funds or I can simply pay it and we can settle up once you are back. You decide but if you want to transfer funds do it a day or so ahead so that I can pay balance on the 27th.

Not sure if you read message from Toshi but she is back in Whistler from February 22nd - 28th and would like to visit us. I told her you were away until March 7th and don't know, yet, what her schedule will dictate. Will be great to see her, one way of another. If she has any flexibility, I'm sure she'll want to visit when you are back. Again, she probably has plenty of friends in Vancouver to see as well. Anyway, I'll let you know, of course, what she decides. Goodness, with Calamity and Whirlygig, we're becoming a year-round resort destination! Had a great time last night with two tables, Dummy moving. Funnily enough, when Carol arrived I mentioned that she was going away again, back to Mexico. Startled, she asked how I knew. Told her I had a note from Judy Holtjer informing me that she and Jim would be house-sitting for her and Greg, starting on the 9th, I believe. Hope to get together with them as never made it to their place at Apex.
 
I'm off to snowshoe, back at Idleback, again, but on the trails, I believe, with David and his wife, Margaret this morning. Had they not elected to go here I would have joined Jim French, and gang, at Nickel Plate Lake as route is fairly "tame" according to everyone I polled. However, want to get to know Idleback as it is closer and flatter, in general, and somewhere I can navigate without too, too much trouble if I go with Chloë, or others. Reign of Terror was at a fever pitch this morning. I was "roused" at 5:30 am, "normal" time of late. Had prepared their wet food and left it in guest bathroom so it wasn't as cold as coming straight from fridge. Plates licked clean of course. Rumpus Room door was open so I hoped they would choose to go out by themselves and I returned to bed. An hour later I thought there was an earthquake as commotion in bedroom was so loud and on-going. I played ostrich until 6:45 am when I gave up. Didn't really mind as alarm was set for 7:00 am anyway. Going to be chilly today as it is -14º now! 

Just heard that Highway 97 is likely to be closed for at least another week. Another huge crack discovered in cliff face and it is estimated that another 25,000 cubic metres of rock must be blasted and removed. Might be longer if any more cracks are found. Obviously, very, very disruptive so perhaps you better fly into Penticton! Must away as I want to prepare roast, (from freezer, now thawed), I'm doing for dinner tonight. Chloë is going to make pop-overs so we are having Sunday dinner on Thursday! Fondestos to Chooch and Brunello. Much Warm Love to you, My Darling! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Bridge. Note that Carol snagged blanket from our bed when she left her coat there and wrapped it around her feet!

Hello La Peñita! Trust you are well. Had a fab outing with Margaret and David today, back at Idleback, but on different trials from one's we trod a week ago. Not quite as difficult terrain so we were only out for two and a half hours. Road to Idleback is one used to detour around landslide on Highway 97 so there was a fair bit of traffic. Didn't affect us but it was in marked contrast to last week when we only saw two fully loaded logging trucks. At any rate we chatted to a chap who had set up an ice fishing tent on Idleback but said he wouldn't be staying long as his heater had packed it in. Pretty chilly with wind on exposed lake but in the woods it was well protected so much more enjoyable. Really pleased to have been on this loop as it is another route I can do with Chloë.

On the way home, not that far above Sendero Canyon, we came across about five or six Bighorn Sheep. David stopped the car and they ambled across the road so we could almost have touched them as they passed our windows. I invited them in for coffee and a nibble. Margaret also downloaded the app which they use, on their phones, to record and map outings they take. will need to play with it for a bit to learn how to use it efficiently. They are a lovely couple and i'm sure you will enjoy meeting them when back.

On that note, had another message from Toshi and she has to be back in Japan by March 7th so you won't connect this time. Too, too bad, of course. Will have to make up with Calamity and Whirlygig.

On a sadder note, Dallas called late this afternoon and Bill is in hospital in Hamiota. He had been in Brandon but doctor sent him closer to home. Doesn't look good as about ten days ago he caught a cold and I guess pneumonia set in. One of his lungs collapsed. Dallas doesn't think he will leave hospital. As you know, he has been on oxygen for a number of years and I think his systems are simply shutting down. At any rate, we had a good chat and caught up on various things. Bitterly cold, of course so Penticton seems downright balmy.
Chloë was over for dinner but she was too hungry after Lakeshore strata meeting, to make pop-overs so we survived on roast beef, mashed potatoes and a radicchio/Belgian endive, Feta salad. Watched three episodes of Season Two of Fargo and both of us are really enjoying it. She had a call when we took a break to help ourselves to more and it was from the building she was at, yesterday, in Osoyoos. When she was there a pipe burst and started to flood a number of floods. Along with others she helped push water outside, with brooms and shovels, but it froze almost immediately, adding to horrible mess! Chap she talked to was one of a number who were on "watch" as no water for sprinkler system so people had to patrol building all night. Anyway, another pipe burst so more of the same. Restoration people are laughing all the way to the bank! I think I'm right when I say that there was as similar problem at Lakeshore so she really has her hands full. Michelle Dunn continues to be very, very high maintenance as well!

When I was sending album below The Boy hopped up onto the counter and walked across my keyboard and sent a garbled message! Guess he is searching for a new home now that you have issued a warning! Hope you have a great time at Night of the Iguana! Love and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Bridge Gang! Terrific gathering last night so thanks to all who braved the bitter cold to bid like there was no tomorrow. It was suggested that next week we should play on Tuesday evening, (February 12th), and Josinta has kindly offered to host. Please let me know if you are planning to join gathering and once I know who is playing we, Pentictonites, can arrange car-pooling. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Pat, Sorry I have been so negligent in communicating I tend to rely on Al to stay in touch with you and do very much enjoy your photos and newsy emails. I have been saving all of my creative juices and putting them towards the lyric writing course that I am currently taking at Douglas. I am thoroughly enjoying the opportunity to try out this very fun and creative genre and have already written three songs but I thought I would send you my latest work because I am particularly pleased with this one which I will be submitting today.  

Jesse is working on an audio file which I will forward to you so that you can hear it for yourself but as it is very dense I thought I would send you a copy of the lyrics which are being rapped over the Eminem song " Hi my name is " which was popular a few years ago. I so very envious of Corinne down in Mexico and am kicking myself that I didn't arrange a trip down to see her but since we were just in Cuba in December it seemed a little too extravagant to travel again so soon. I am getting ready for work this morning will be teaching a Osteofit class and then rushing to Bonsor to teach a couple Activ-Age classes after which I will come home get changed grab a bite and head to school. That being said I must dash and get organized. Enjoy my song and I will send you the audio version shortly. Much love, Marilyn xoxox also known as Queen Coco the rapping ruler


Anti-social media

Welcome to a culture, to a world that’s lost its voice
Our identities are created through the platform of our choice
Facebook, Assbook, Twitter, Tinder, Tweet 

Y’ all on social media there’s no one on the street
Snapchat, Youtube, maybe Instagram
We believe were all united but in truth, alone we stand
This obsessive need for acceptance is making us all insane
Our lives have all gone viral til no privacy remains

Without provocation post your passion like an invitation. Our notion of perfection is open to interpretation. My intention is to mention these words as a precaution. Don’t let negative reactions undermine your satisfaction. To avoid humiliation and prevent confrontation employ moderation in your cyber interactions, use some introspection to escape the seduction of addiction.

Seems like social media has commandeered our brains
Our cell phones are appendages attached to us with chains
Stay connected, don’t miss out you gotta like that post
Follow me follow you, whoever gets the most
Those narcissistic selfies leave us mentally unhealthy make us
lift our chins, flick our hair, fake a smile without a care
This fucked up cyber world aint nothing like it was
We’re entangled in a sticky web and it’s got a hold on us

Is it my imagination this fixation with misinformation has led to a mutation in our normal conversation leaving the general population no option but to seek expression for stimulation with contraptions designed for the composition and the manipulation of communication. Applications meant to heighten our sensations have become a temptation, a distraction, a detraction from the action. 

Always tweeting look at me, where we at, what we eating

Those who share so godamned much it’s fucking nauseating
Time on social media allows us all to sync
Sext all night from your room, never sleep a wink
Stare for hours at your screen, be careful not to blink
A fear of rejection the need to know what everyone out there thinks
Post a glad face, a sad face, a mad face or a heart
Use Emoticons for emotions, it’s become a form of art

It is my conviction we all seek justification for our actions despite the ramifications but after rumination the real fascination is the lack of concentration leading to a deficit of attention, the exasperation of a nation. Without exaggeration this shows a definite indication of the real degradation, stagnation and disintegration of this generations’ desire for physical socialization.

Lost in space, blank eyed face, fighting tunnel vision 

All that typing on a tiny screen gives us carpal tunnel syndrome
Remembering the good old days when everyone went out
Now no need to leave the house, the comfort of the couch
Sign up on a plan with unlimited data and text
Tell Siri to Google a chiro to adjust your fucked up neck
Messages float in cyber space eliminate the need for face
We’ve learned to socialize by ourselves, real contact’s been misplaced

After thorough investigation of the relevant information and careful deliberation it is my evaluation that the current situation is total combination of affection of validation, a need for instant gratification. Did I forget to mention social media equals tension? After further retrospection I have a proposition. Without any stipulations we must find a new direction, begin an obliteration of this oppression of true vocal expression.


Here is the finished product Patricio...enjoy!Dear Your Majesty, Queen Coco of Rapland, and your countless servants! Congratulations, indeed, on going Platinum! I must say I was very impressed with the lyrics you sent first, before audio clip arrived. Also enjoyed it immensely. Must applaud you for taking the writing course, especially when you are so busy with your various fit classes. I think it is really important to follow your interests, in spite of all other demands on your time, and you have obviously done just that. Stay well, Queen Coco, under your mink coat! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hi Patrick, Thanks for the card. We are planning to spend not create wealth this year. Off to The Netherlands and some travelling in Northern Germania and Luxemburg. AT this stage we are in the very early planning phase of coming your way in 2020 to do the inside passage on a small boat and then with luck catch up with you Wayne etc. At this time probably April may to catch the Orcas seals and all that stuff will keep you posted. Cheers from down here. Dear Spenders of Wealth! Congratulations, indeed, on your decision! Bravo! Your travel plans sound terrif! How have you "soft" Antipodeans being faring with your climate-change weather? Stay well and travel safely! Bestestos, Patrizzio!

Hi Corinne and Pat, Thanks for your warm responses to our note and travel plans. We are really looking forward to seeing you both again in your neck of the woods. We would love to come for a visit and have you to where we will be. I haven’t been to the Osoyoos area to stay for many years. I went with a group of friends to hike at Cathedral Lakes for Thanksgiving one year. It was beautiful. George and I may try and do some exploring there this trip. It sounds like you are having a splendid time in Mexico despite your bug Corinne. You will have to tell us about the area you are staying in. I am not familiar with it. That beautiful light is so and restorative. Enjoy the rest of your time there. 

A great grandchild on the way is exciting. How nice that you have timed it to meet her. Pat sounds like you have been very active and having fun snowshoeing and socializing. George and I have been on Galiano, Vancouver and in Victoria the last few weeks. He has organized weekly revolving community dinners and we are hosting the first one with a Mexican theme for tomorrow night. There may be snow on the ground and 90 mph winds but most of the guests should be on Galiano already. Enjoy the next 5 weeks. We are excited to see you. Hugs from us, Jane and George xo 

Hello Hurricane Force Revolving Dinner People! My head is spinning with the whirlwind, [not "whirlygig"!], round of activity you are enjoying in spite of global warming and climate change! Curious to know how you "soft" Salish Seaoids have been faring with The Polar Vortex? Stay well, take care of each other and travel safely! Fondestos & Bestestos to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Fartograms, Here are my (few) photos of our truly beautiful snowshoe yesterday. We found 2 huts and enjoyed the fire place for our lunch.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/99264714@N02/albums/72157706495497185> Enjoy, Aart Dronkers











 

No comments:

Post a Comment