Monday 11 February 2019

Kaleden Hills and the Boot Cleat Blues: Monday, February 11th!

I was sixteen years old when the first World War broke out, and I lived at that time in Hungary. From reading the newspapers in Hungary, it would have appeared that, whatever Austria and Germany did was right and whatever England, France, Russia, or America did was wrong. A good case could be made out for this general thesis, in almost every single instance. It would have been difficult for me to prove, in any single instance, that the newspapers were wrong, but somehow, it seemed to me unlikely that the two nations located in the center of Europe should be invariably right, and that all the other nations should be invariably wrong. History, I reasoned, would hardly operate in such a peculiar fashion, and it didn't take long until I began to hold views which were diametrically opposed to those held by the majority of my schoolmates. ... Even in times of war, you can see current events in their historical perspective, provided that your passion for the truth prevails over your bias in favor of your own nation. -Leo Szilard, physicist (11 Feb 1898-1964) 


El Diablo was a very considerate alarm clock this morning, giving me gentle paw at 4:30 am but then lying back down when I asked him to go back to sleep. Not until 6:10 am did he insist it was time to rise and shine! A few skirmishes, in the on-going Cat Wars, Miss Etta holding the high ground on the armchair. Then thrust and parry continued at the watering hole while I dressed. As soon as I've had a few sips of java, I'm going to sweep sidewalks so I assume I'll have helpers! 

Good afternoon, Kaleden Hills Folk! A quick note to thank Adjutant Aarturos for organizing and leading today's fantabulous hike. While it was rather brisk, especially heading into the bitter north wind, the payoff was worth far more than a few frost-bitten noses, fingers and other unmentionable appendages! Having sated ourselves on polar seas and mountain vistas extraordinaire, the lucky few were then treated to mugs of steaming java, platters of cookies and chocolate infused loaf in Hanneke Homemaker's cosy kitchen, to thaw out frozen limbs, numb lips and chapped cheeks, while chatting amiably, all the while, with fellow survivors of the Shackleton Expedition. Many thanks to one and all, of course, for the more than companionable time in such a splendiferous winter paradise, and to Bruno, intrepid navigator, beyond compare, of the easiest, safest routes! Good Boy, indeed! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Thanks for the fabulous photos! It was a great day in the polar vortex. Cheers, Tim Hi Tall Timber! Yes, it was quite a day in the Vortex! Missed you both at Hanneke's as it was a lovely gathering. As well, wanted to thank you for "shepherding" me, once again. Very thoughtful and considerate and I certainly appreciated your helpful suggestions, regarding easiest routes, etc., especially when "Lassie" wasn't around! Fondestos to Marian. Cheers, Patrizzio! My pleasure Patrick.

I enjoy the hikes, the people, nature’s beauty and that we are all safe and keep an eye out for each other.  Over the last year or so, I have tended to hang back a bit.  It is just a quiet role that I have assumed and it becomes a contribution to the group.  Trying to be mindful is a subtle form of leadership.  It is the existentialist in me.  I like to do my part. I might not prefer to lead and I might not follow either.  I just prefer to walk with people and be a good friend. Cheers, Tim

Another hike making you realize how incredibly lucky we are to live in this valley. Yes, it was cold, but nothing like 95% of the rest of Canada! Thank you all for coming, 12 were there PLUS our brave Bruno ... who leads the way most of the time. Here is the link to my photos on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99264714@N02/albums/72157689619866213 Enjoy, Aart Dronkers 
 

Thanks for the email Patrick...You're so brave to venture the cold and even ignore the cougar tracks...The photos are beautiful !...I am going to gym and Aquasize 3x's a week but not much outdoors...I've become a California Chick....en ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ I do hope to get out snowshoeing when the weather warms up a bit more....Not this Thursday but maybe the following Sounds like a lot of fun this coming Thursday...but I have committed to taking a friend to her Dr's appt....good enough excuse for me .. I know...I have had exhilarating experiences in the snow in the back country and I look forward to more...Enjoy Thursday and the magic out there Regards...Elle ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ˜Š Hi California Chick! This 'ain't Santa Barbara, Toto! You don't have to worry about cougar attacks if you are already frozen to death! Dress warmly and join us soon! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Blizzard Bidders! Thanks to Josinta for the grand job she did of hosting. Welcome back, Michaelo, and sorry, Olga Polga, that your neck is still bothering you. I was decided that we will play on Monday evening next week. Please confirm your attendence. I will host so when I know who is coming I can plan accordingly. See those who will be playing at 6:30 am. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! I can be there Monday....good evening at Jos's last night. Too bad my RECKLESS 3NT ( made 4) bid in an extra hand was my crowning achievement of the night! Hi Reckless GGG, (aka Green Gable Goil!)! Your dear Mom was right, Reckless is the only way to bid. Sure, you sometimes go down but game is more fun. Pleased you can make next Monday so we can have some wild and woolly bidding! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Hi Patrick, I hope this email finds you well๐Ÿ˜Š I need to tell you that I have resigned from Poplar Grove winery and this email address will not be active as of Tuesday February 19. Thanks so much for including me in your bridge emails. Sorry I NEVER TOOK YOU UP ON THE INVITE. All the best! Laura Happy Lunar New Year Laura! I'm very well, thank you. Trust same goes for you. If you are retiring, you'll now have plenty of time for bridge so no excuses! Seriously, you's love game and gang are wonderful. I'm sure you would enjoy meeting them. Anyway, if you want, send along a new email address and I'll keep you on list. If not, I understand. Hope our paths will cross, somewhere, in the not too, too distant future. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi all, First, a quick note….. we have amalgamated our Monday and Thursday lists.  It will make our job of adding, deleting, and maintaining just a bit easier.  This is my first time sending a message using the new list.  Hope it works!


Second…..the Thursday outing! We are planning on snowshoeing to an area which we call “The Painted Canyon” We will go south from Apex village on the Keremeos Creek Forestry Road, through the clearcut to the Cougar Trail, south on the Cougar Trail to the Painted Canyon, west and north through the trees until we reach the lower parts of the Grandmothers Trail, and back to Apex village along the lower parts of the ski hill.

We will: -meet at 0900 at Home Hardware north parking lot in Penticton (0840 at IGA parking lot in Summerland) -carpool and drive to Apex -snowshoe to our heart’s content -stop at The Edge for debriefing and a coffee -return to Penticton Are you interested?  If so, please let me know. Cheers, Jim

Hi David! Trust you are well. Just wondering if you have had any thoughts about a snowshoe outing on Thursday? Were you planing to join Jim and gang for Painted Canyon trek? Again, if you think it is a route that I can handle I'd tag along but if you have another route in mind, I'm more than happy to join you, if you will have me. Let me know what you think and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Actually Patrick, on Thursday this week we are heading down to the coast for a couple of days on family stuff. We will be back for the Monday show out Idelback way. If not before I will see you then I hope. The snow should be amazing both in volume and powderness if that is a word ๐Ÿ˜› See you then David Hi Powderness Person! Thanks for letting me know. I'll probably join Jimbo, this being the case. Travel safely and will see you on Monday. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Heartless Jimbo! I'd like to join you on the Valentine's Day outing if you think I can manage the route. From what you describe I think it should be fine for my limited capabilities but would appreciate your opinion, nevertheless. David is off to Vancouver on Thursday so I won't be able to "defect" even if I wanted to do so. Thanks again. Cheers, Patrizzio! Gung Hay Fat Choy- wishing you great happiness and prosperity. Thanks for the card as they are most enjoyable to receive. Cheers, Dawn and Gerry Hello Great White North! Glad you enjoyed the card. Are you in the grip of the Polar Vortex as well or are you just the kind of people who have ice water running through their veins normally? Had another wonderful winter hike today. Stay well. Fondestos, Bestestos and Cheers, Polar Patrizzio! Pics: Lady Dar in Guyabitos; Patrizzio in Summerland in winter!

Patrick, I would have to say that it might be a real challenge. It is quite long and, as I recall, has some deadfall and a couple of steep sections. I’m not so sure???? Cheers, Jim Hi James! Thank you very much for outlining trek and its potential difficulties. I agree, route probably is too challenging for me and I certainly do not wish to burden group. This being the case, I won't join outing. Thanks again for letting me know. Certainly appreciated. Of course, trust you have a wonderful day. Cheers, Patrizzio!Looks beautiful. Matt Hildegrd Schmidt I'll make it to a Snowshow Monday yet this winter.....Patrick James Dunn Week today at Idleback Lake. Be there, Von Bingen! Hildegrd Schmidt‎ to Patrick James Dunn Patrick I seem to have two Facebook accounts.....one for my phone and one on the computer............I THINKS. Hope your doing well in Penticton. Will stop in next time I'm up there............Cheereo Why not come for java at my place after Idleback snowshoe outing! Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment