Thursday 14 February 2019

St Valentine's Day & Cupid's Bow Blues: Thursday, February 14th!

Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. -George Jean Nathan, author and editor (14 Feb 1882-1958) 


Thanks for the e-card. OK, I'll be your valentine. We've been in a deep freeze for months...needless to say there are no flamingos in this neck of the woods. Filmer Happy Valentines Day Patrick and Corinne! Love Denise and Bill Thank you Patrick. The card is lovely♥️♥️ Judy Thanks Patricio! Sending my heartfelt wishes to both you and Corrine especially as you are not physically together today, as they say though absence makes the heart grow fonder! Great big hugs from me to you. Happy Valentine to you too Patrick...Gracias, Patricio. Un abrazo desde Playa Zipolite, Oaxaca ! ❤️ Thank you Patrick! 

So sweet. I see from all the emails that your bridge group is still going strong with lots of new players. Bravo Lots of hugs to you, Corrine and Chloe! Xo B Hi Barbarella! Trust you are well. Yes, bridge group is doing well. I'm also planning to take part in two fund-raisers, first, Tournament of Hearts at the Anglican Church in Summerland, on February 23rd, and then at the Grandmothers for Africa event in Oliver on March 1st. Still searching for partners. You should fly back! All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!😘😉🤗❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️ Barb Patrick, that was great, thanks so much! Sandee

A sweet card! BL Happy Day! Lots of love Trust all goes well, Fellow Polar Vortexers! Lady Dar is basking on the beach while we shovel sidewalks! Cheers, Patrizzio! All right, here's your Valentine 😗❤😗 Of course I’ll be your Valentine - happy to be in the queue with all your other amorosas! ❤️ Happy Valentine’s Day xx Hello Duhlink! Wonderful, wonderful news indeed, except that you are always at the head of the line, just behind Mad Max! Cheers, Not So Secret Innamorato! Awww, so sweet! Happy Valentine’s Day to you!! Maggie Lovely message. Thank you. Your hiking photos are lovely. Hope to rejoin the group soon. Klink 
 
Ruben Brandt, Collector
You couldn't have picked a better card. Do you remember Margaret Hendricks? She is not a single Taylor. Anyway I just heard from her. She is recovering from Cancer. I guess she is the right age but I feel that I am not old enough. How are you doing? You are not old enough to have health problems except wearing out parts like knees. Hello Florida Flamingos! Trust you are both well. I don't think I really knew Margaret Henricks as she was older and away at school, as I recall. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio! You are nuts! glad you are enjoying the snow. Jack is fishing in the sun. I am trying to catch up on emails. gg

[Happy Valentine's Day! To my love!
Sending you my hugs and kisses!
From your not so secret admirer!
Did you get this ? Yes, Twice!! Don't you ever, ever read my emails in their entirety?]

Cute!! Thank you Patrick. Happy Valentine's Day to you as well, my dear. With Corinne frequenting far away places, your heart will be bleeding today, as you are desperately pining for her presence and moral, emotional, psychological support. Hang in there, my lad, you will get through this one particular tough stretch!! Sending you my support :>) Love Yda Hi Evita! Thanks for the support but I've got my cats to keep me warm! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! At Last - my new Valentine Patricio - let me think about this...A Lol you made my day! What a lovely surprise for a single lady to receive a Valentine's Hope you two are having a wonderful safe trip! Hugs Kelly Hi Kelly! Glad you enjoyed the card. Trust you are well. Lady Dar is still in La Peñita. Home on March 7th. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

[I'll hold you to it, Teens! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!]

Thanks, Pat! Declan got a real hoot out of this:)) I hope your snowy, single-guy Valentine's was cozy. Much love. Maya Hi Maya and Declan! Glad you enjoyed the card. My Single-Guy Valentine's was as cozy as it could be given sub-zero temperatures of late! Will miss seeing you this coming weekend. I gather Lady Dar will be seeing your Mom tomorrow at a music festival in San Pancho. Lives of The Rich and Famous! Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thanks Patrick. Hope all is well with you and Lady Dar. We just returned home from Tanzania where we say the Flamingos at Lake Nyassa. Did you see Pat's blogs? Hi Flamingo People! Sounds as if you are both well. What a wonderful trip! No, I haven't seen Patrizzio's blogs. If you could send along an address I'd love to take a look. Lady Dar is still in La Peñita, [I chose to stay at home and enjoy Winter Wonderland! Fondestos and Best Wishes to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pictures are gorgeous.  The blog can be found at: <wandersbutnotlost2.wordpress.com> Good luck with your surgery Hi Lady Di!
Glad you enjoyed my snapolas. However, I couldn't find Patrizzio's blog with link provided. Any suggestions? Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Happy Valentine's Day to you guys too! Louise Thanks Patrick. Us old gals need a little rememberance. Happy Valentine's day to you too. Dianne Hi Pat, I know that you are a person of good will, but please take me off your ecards list. Holidays are often a difficult time for me. Valentine’s Day is a day I try to forget. I hope that all is well in your life. My life is fine. Bev Thank you, Patrick. It was nice to see a beach scene after shoveling snow. Chuck Hope you two had a wonderful Valentines Day! NO! Glasgow! Hi Man of Few Words! Trust you are well in spite of your tight lips! Stay well. Mum's the word! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Thank you, Pat! Yes, I'll be your Valentine. Don't be desperate! How have you been surviving the cold weather? It was really cold at Silver Star but no real problems at all, and the car even started when it was time to leave. Skiing was fun with the different snow. Kjell and I are now in the midst of preparations for departure to Mexico and we're looking forward to meeting up with Corinne. Kjell is off pickleballing right now. Our road is a constant issue but will have resolved itself by the time we get back. On to conquering lists! Jane  Hello Last Minute List Makers! Pleased to hear that Silver Star went well. I know Lady Dar is looking forward to your visit. I'm keeping occupied shoveling walks, boot hiking and snowshoeing but till she returns it is Etta and Duke that keep me warm! Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hope you two had a wonderful Valentines Day! Hi Anne! Trust you are well. Grogg and Lurch were here, almost two week ago now. Unfortunately, for them, due to sub-zero temperatures at Silver Star, landslide on 97 and weather warning for Lower Mainland they only stayed for one night. Anyway, just wanted to say hello. We'd love a visit from you and Kurt if you are ever in the Okanagan. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Dinner on Friday night and farewell next morning.

Dear Patrick, Thank you for the sweet valentine. Are you alone at home, or are you with Coralee in Mexico? Mexico would be warmer as we're in a prolonged cold spell with more snow expected tonight. I have had enough winter now! The crocuses were opening three weeks ago. Cheers, stay warm, Bruni and Tony
Hi Bruni and Tony da Lip! Glad you enjoyed the card. Thought of you today ago as went to see Green Book with Chloë and her friend, Robbie, up from Vancouver, for long-weekend. Hi Patrick, We also loved Green Book, and yes, the performances were excellent. You have a lot of snow there! We had accumulations of over 30 cm over three snowfalls, but the mild temps the last couple of days are helping it go. Lots of slush on side roads. Take care. Hope to see you in the summer. Bruni

Hola, "Secret Admirer"! Methinks thou needest a separate email to keep thy name secret! Not to fret, you can work on it and be ready for Valentine's Day 2020! (Foresight - how appropriate for the year 20-20!). Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours too! Jacqui D Oh, dear -- I AM sorry: I've already got a Valentine. (But I admit that judging from the picture, your neck is a lot longer than his and your legs have more joints.)

Hey Pat, Sure, I’ll be your valentine. Heck, what’s the worst that could happen?
Hope you’re well up in the frozen wastelands of... wait a minute, it’s driving snow down here, too. Although it’s now light until after 5, so the worst of the winter has passed. Not much to report, thankfully. Everyone is rolling along. Looks like Chloë is settled up there, and your resident cats seem to be living a life of acute leisure! Give my love to Corinne - I would like to come up and visit one weekend - I’ll have to negotiate with 2 teenagers which, by definition, is impossible, but we will see what we can do. If you’re down in the Vancouver area, by all means send a note. Take care - I do enjoy your missives on Facebook. A



Thank you for sharing those beautiful photos of your now snowy landscape! It looks so inviting from the coziness of your home -it's a shame you actually have to get outdoors to shovel it away. I'm afraid I can't reciprocate with photos of the rain we've been having - too dreary to commemorate. As of right now, though, it is sunny which gives us some hope of not floating away, down Dry Creek!

On your recommendation, we watched the first season of Broadchurch and quite liked it. Felt it could have ended there, but it seems there is going to be a trial....will have to stay tuned. Have not tried Sinner, yet but hear good things about that from others, as well. One you might take a look at, if you haven't already, is the second season of American Crime Story - The Assassination of Gianni Versace. Quite well done I thought. And it's one you can quickly power through, as it is only 9 episodes in total. The main character and young actor Darren Criss is very good.

Time to go sit by the window and enjoy some of this newly developed sunshine - too cold to sit outside and enjoy it, though! Have fun making your way through your freezer of goodies. We have that same problem with Mr. Grumpy storing too many things in the deep freezer. As you know, though, he is the only cook in the house!Patrizzia Best of luck on the shoulder surgery - cute story - but I'm not buying it! Hi Skeptical One! Sorry to hear that you don't think Lady dar is capable of Bite-the-Stick, Civil War Battlefield Surgery with no anaesthetic other than good 'ole Bourbon!


Hello my friend, If you can fry up chicken livers you CAN make chicken liver pate. Just take a large onion and fry it along with the livers in a little oil, maybe a couple of tablespoons (fresh livers are best but give it a whirl with the frozen ones for practise.) I usually buy about 1 lb of livers. Fry them very well done so bits of everything stick to the pan. Fry up a chopped garlic clove at the end for just a minute or three. Add a little salt if you like. Then scrape all the bits and pieces into a food processor and pulse until somewhat pulverized. Add just a tablespoon or two of good mayonnaise like Hellmans or Kraft, taste, and maybe a little more salt but don’t overdo it. 

Also add a hardboiled egg—your wife argued with me about that once and I don’t really know why, but Jewish mothers always do and if they say so theres no room for argument! Actually I think it aerates the mixture and that’s good. I used to add a little brandy for special occasions, but its not necessary. Try to stop processing when the mixture still has some texture, it shouldn’t be totally smooth. 

Enjoy as soon as you can, or give some away because leaving chopped liver around and storing for more than a couple of days is not healthy. Fondly, Nancy Hi Julia Child! What a fabulous Valentine's present! Thanks so much Nancy, really appreciate recipe and blow by blow instructions. I'm going to try making it on Sunday, [Disregarding Pushy Lady Dar's  silly boiled egg prohibition! I couldn't agree more with you!], as I'm hosting bridge on Monday so gang will be perfect guinea pigs! Actually, can hardly wait to start as, as you know, I think your paté is simply the best in the Known Universe! Hello to David. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio The Slowly Galloping Gourmet! I hope you have mastered this receipt as I love Nancy’s chicken liver pate. Looking forward to eating it on my return. Hugs C
  
Hi Patrick! Looks like you need an ersatzt Valentine today! Count me in! We are getting lots of rain which is good. However, it means the repair of our main water leak must wait. Greetings to all the home bodies! Luv N & D  A lovely tail of love! Or perhaps a feather of the same substance! Very cool, a fine reminder of the delights of wooing. Well, I suppose those days are behind us. Cactus 

Hello Dearest Floridian and Melancholic Wooer! Glad you two Lovebirds enjoyed the card. Trust you are well, in spite of water leak. For my part I dream of rain!Stay well. Take care of each other. Fondesos, Bestestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Snowbanks and More. You must be a bit lonely left to your own devices, online and otherwise. I hope you don't run out of food, but it sounds like there are treasures galore in the deep freeze (a good description of Canada as a whole, don't you think?) It took us a while to piece together that Corinne had become a snowbird while you were remaining a moose-man. March 7th is still a long way away. I hope you don't run through the malt completely! Perhaps she can smuggle some first class tequila in with her! Let's hope she brings some spring daffodils with her too!

We leave for New York on the 8th of March ourselves. Sorry to hear of your shoulder pain. And good luck in the counter-top surgery. Do make sure that with all these replacements of parts that they don't monkey with the essentials. No one would want dramatic change from you, would they? Raising my mug your way- Cactus Hi Vincenzo and Flora Floridian! Appreciate you concern over my supposed loneliness and hunger, left to my own devices! No time to be lonely or hungry either, for that matter! Fondesos, Bestestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! Oops! Hi again, Rainy Day People! Inadvertently sent message before attaching all of snapolas! Cheers, Patrizzio!I did notice that there were more captions than images. Everyone looks so jolly you almost forget that everyone is frozen solid! Vive Canada!!! We are under the control of a madman down here. Cactus

Hello Dedicated Trumpophobes! Trust you are surviving in spite of everything. Do you live in Venezuela or Nicaragua where madness seems to prevail as well! Still enjoying some wonderful, wonderful outings. “Yes, Virginia, there is good, non-fake news from north of the US border!", Cheers from The Rich and Famous Alpine Explorer, challenging Vinnie The White Shark! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!
Thank you Patrick - I'll bet you've asked all the girls! Have a heart-warming day! Love from your namesake in rain soaked California Dearest Namesake! You cut me to the quick with your cynical remark! Trust you are well, in spite of being water-logged. Take care of the Grumpoid! Cheers, Patrizzio!

I know that I've always been one of your secondary Valentine's my dear! That's okay with me as I'm extremely fond of your Valentine #1. It's looking dreary outside, too much white, time for the cherry trees to blossom underneath the snow. Fondly, Nancy  Hello Number One Secondary Valentine! Trust you are well, in spite of its being dreary. For my part I dream of cherry blossoms as well. Hello to David! Cheers, Patrizzio! thank you how cute! Judy Hi Judy! Glad you enjoyed the card, How goes the house-sitting? When is Carol back as we need her for bridge! Are you folks around for a visit and a drink? Cheers, Patrizzio!

Yes, I will be your Valentine but keep in mind I have pretty high expectations of my Valentine men! Happy Valentine’s Day Patrick. 😘 Hi Donna Maria! Don't even think about worrying! If Heraldo sets the standard I'm light years ahead and miles above. He skis ahead but I'd never leave your side! Just had a call from Chloë and she is back from airport in Kelowna with her friend Robbie. They will pop by shortly, to collect me as we are going to see Green Room, {It's Green Book not Green Room. In my book, it's Green Room! Triple sheesh!},[as opposed to The White Room!], here in town. Cheers, Patrizzio, Upholding Highest Standards Know to Valentine Men!

💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕 I HOPE YOU BOTH DID SOME FUN AND ROMANTIC THINGS TOGETHER. CIAO 4 NIAO !! 💕 SNOWBOUND IN WINNIPEG ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️  Hello Snowbound Winnipeger! Same here but long-distance romance as Lady Dar is still in Mexico, not back until March 7th. Till then it is Etta and Duke that keep me warm! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Hibernating kittens!Thanks for the cute card! Very well done!! Joan
 
Hi Patrick Ok sounds good. Shall we change the venue to my place? Then table doesn't have to be transported ....Just an idea I hope you can make it to grandmothers tournament...love the lunch!! See you Monday Judy Hi Blue Velvet Valentine! Very kind of you to offer to host but it's no trouble for me to collect table and you have hosted quite a few times. Also don't want to confuse The Summerlanders! Let me know when you might be at home so I can pop by. Thanks and Cheer, Patrizzio!

Around 1:30 pm, I drove to the pool where I strapped on a flotation belt and deep water walked. Really enjoyed doing that for an hour and then lobsterized myself with three sessions in the steam room, alternating each with same for hot tub and then a final sauna. Bumped into Bill Laven, just arriving, as  he is a regular swimmer. Had only been home for under an hour when I had a call from Chloë. She was back from airport in Kelowna with Robbie and they wanted to know if I wished to join them to see Green Room. Delighted, of course. I was planning to pay but Robbie insisted on buying tickets, [He and his sister are off to India for five weeks, next Thursday!], so that was very generous of him.

I really, really enjoyed the film. I thinks many of the critics panned it for various reasons but I was simply taken with Viggo Mortensen's character, in particular, as well as Ali's, given time, etc. Tony Lip's "Joisey" accent is simply wonderful, as is Dolores', [Linda Cardellini from Bloodlines], his wife, albeit a much smaller part. Chalking off Oscar nominations one at a time!

The Kids came in afterwards and we had a pleasant chat in front of the fireplace. Set out some cheese and crackers but Pushy Chloë thought it was too old so she opened package of Borsin! Kid's today! Robbie wanted to Port so you can kiss the 2013 Black Widow goodbye! Kids today! Pics: Duke when I was trying to sync my computer to new printer. No luck so need expert help since my computer tech was napping! Robertito and friend!

As I won't be back till April, good luck with the shoulder surgery. That's next on Gills list of parts being replaced as she moves to a fully bionic jointed anatomy, so she'll want to review the process with you no doubt (things like does it impact holding cards for bridge... does it improve bidding etc) Cheers. Phil 
Hi Fartograms, Here is the Flickr link to my photos of today: 

Thanks everyone for being there. It is always so good to share this beauty with friends. Enjoy! Aart Hi Aarturos! Really enjoyed snapolas especially since I wasn't there! How was the terrain? Could I have managed. Jimbo thought not so I decided to go to the pool to deep water walk. Really enjoyed doing that for an hour and then lobsterized myself with three sessions in the steam room, alternating each with same for hot tub and then a final sauna. Bumped into Wild Bill as I think he is a regular swimmer. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick, Rita and I were pleasantly surprised... Aarti and Jos, also. We get to the Dream Cafe enough to know the shows are greet, but don't often bump into good friends. I am encouraged to extend invitations again we go!and thanks for the pictures... memories! Hi Wild Bill! Glad you enjoyed the snapolas. Fondestos to Rita. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Robbie and Chloë.

Dear Patrick, Thank you for the sweet valentine. Are you alone at home, or are you with Coralee in Mexico? Mexico would be warmer as we're in a prolonged cold spell with more snow expected tonight. I have had enough winter now! The crocuses were opening three weeks ago. Cheers, stay warm, Bruni and Tony Hi Bruni and Tony da Lip! Glad you enjoyed the card. Thought of you two a few days ago as went to see Green Book. Tony Lip's "Joisey" accent is simply wonderful! Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio

As I won't be back till April, good luck with the shoulder surgery. That's next on Gill's list of parts being replaced as she moves to a fully bionic jointed anatomy, so she'll want to review the process with you no doubt (things like does it impact holding cards for bridge... does it improve bidding etc) Cheers. Phil Hi Phillipo! Thanks for best wishes on my surgery. I have it, in writing, from my orthopod, that "fully bionic jointed anatomy" does, indeed, lead to improved bidding and malt glass holding! What more could one wish for? Cheers, Patrizzio!


No comments:

Post a Comment