Wednesday 6 February 2019

Bridge and The Bidding Babes Blues: Wednesday, February 6th!

The tragedy in the lives of most of us is that we go through life walking down a high-walled lane with people of our own kind, the same economic situation, the same national background and education and religious outlook. And beyond those walls, all humanity lies, unknown and unseen, and untouched by our restricted and impoverished lives. -Florence Luscomb, architect and suffragist (6 Feb 1887-1985) 


I did use the Costco card in Sayulita yesterday. Went there with Carol and Bruno had a shopping day and lunch and drove to Punta de Mira to see how it has changed, Now all luxury condos. Bruno getting a cold so we had quiet evening reading at home. Made a big salad. Glad your nexus pass turned up.
Carol and I are off to yoga and a swim after if it is calm. Too windy to swim on Monday. What was the name of the other Netflix series dark rising? Need something good to watch after c and b leave, Time for tea, Love you


Hello Sayulita Spender! From Imelda to Trump in just one holiday spree! Sorry to hear about Bruno's cold. How is your sinus infection? Did you see a doctor? Are you taking Mexicans?

Black Earth Rising is the series you should definitely watch. At least you don't have to deal with wind chill at -13º C when swimming! On the Costco card account there was another amount. Was that you as well? I assume the larger charge was for Costco. Just keep your accountant informed if you are laundering money!

Norm is coming over this morning to help me slide fireplace back in place. Couldn't do it myself last night, after I'd vacuumed and wiped it down. Took a page out of your book and used remote to turn it off after I had read in bed for an hour or so, last night. Must be getting soft without you to keep me warm. Also have worn a T-shirt to bed last few nights so you better hurry home. Miss Etta isn't quite enough. Duke seems to really like platter in Rumpus Room and they both gravitate there during much of the day.
Have to vacuum later, getting ready for two tables tonight, so kittens won't be happy. I close Rumpus Room door to help. Very cold and crisp but bright sunshine today, and for last week or more so almost like being back in Winnipeg, not dull and overcast as Lynne often complained about, lake blanketed. Still waiting to hear from St Kilian and David about tomorrow's snowshoe outing. Had  long reply from Mick after he received Chinese New Year card:

Hi Patrick Thanks for your Chinese New Year wishes. Hope you are surviving without Corine and this very cold weather. I ,too, am batching with Polly up at whistler , playing bridge and snowshoeing with her friends. The cold weather has closed the golf courses so not as much to do , but I have managed a couple of games this year during the very spring like weather we enjoyed before this cold spell.But today, I spent cooking a tasty chilli enough for three days food.
Life goes on pretty much as normal, with lots of grand-parenting duties , Polly playing bridge on two evenings and going to the theatre on another , and me at home watching Netflix. (Currently viewing Dogs of Berlin, which is average at best.)
I recently watched The Bodyguard, a Brit drama which was excellent, and I also enjoyed black earth rising, apart from the performance of John Goodman, (the only American actor), who was pathetically miscast. I see there is a second series of Bordertown which I will probably watch next.
 
Ray and I play pickleball every Monday with a bunch of oldies at the Kits community centre and we both really enjoy the games, he is keener than I am and also plays on Tuesday as well, which is too much for my creaking knees.
 

We drive to Palm Springs on 26 February and will not return to Vancouver until the first week of April. All the family are coming down at various times , except Davey and Michelle, who are expecting their second child in March. My sister from Philadelphia, and her husband are also visiting so it will be a busy month and hopefully when we return to Vancouver spring will be here. We saw the movie Bohemian Rhapsody on Sunday and I loved it, and hope it wins the Oscar for best picture. But I also very much enjoyed The Green Book. Do you have a favourite? What are you up to these days ? Cheers, Mick

Disagree with him about Dogs of Berlin and John Goodman. I found series very, very interesting and tough minded. I really thought Goodman did a wonderful, wonderful job with his character. Perhaps he shows a particularly "British" bias towards the Jerrys and Yanks! At any rate want to see both Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book. Have you seen either, I can't recall. Must away as I'm not on holiday like some extra lucky folk I know. Take care of Brunello. He should be drinking hot, fresh squeezed lime juice and honey, spiked with rum! Fondestos to Rely on Riera and much love to you, my Favourite Shopping Sweetheart. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Clam-Shell this morning!

Hi Patrick, neither bills are for Costco. When does it have to be paid? I can put the money in the joint acct. Just had my hair cut for 100 p. No wonder Agneta wants to live here. Yes I do think you need me to keep you warm. Good that there is the fireplace in the bedroom. It was so noisy last night with music and yelling that I had to put earplugs in to go to sleep. Just a regular Tuesday nite in La Peñita. Will go to meet Janice and Grant in Busceris on Friday will take the Pacifico bus. Keep warm Love you Cora Lee
 
Hi Patrick, For some reason we did not get a notice of Monday’s hike so we assumed that perhaps it was too cold. Generally the hike around Nickelplate Lake and the area is not too difficult. But I cannot predict that part of an excursion might be quite steep as we have discovered on numerous outings. You would have to check with the leaders to be sure. We will save the posters for you. They are very nice and in excellent shape, but we simply do not have space for them. Cheers, Tim

L: Epigeal germination (mung bean)
R: Hypogeal germination (garden pea)
Photo: BlueRidgeKitties
I have been around Nickel Plate lake and snowflake area on snow shoes and its fairly tame with not a lot of steeps….which is one reason it’s a popular snow shoe area. Unless of course they decide on some other route which has happened there before……..but Jim’s note did sound like he wants to “keep it fairly tame” which, knowing Jim is just that. So I plan to go to Nickel Plate area with them then ski at Apex the following day similar to last week. Also if it were to get steep or too cold one can always break away and go back to Apex for coffee etc and wait for the hardcore gang. Cheers….Kilian Hi St Kilian and David! Much appreciate you letting me know your thoughts, Red Baron. I assumed much the same as you, (but wanted to double-check), so I will join gang as well. Looking forward to exploring some new territory. Are you on, David? Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Oreogeny
Photo: dhunterauthor
Hello Sir James! I'd like to join group to explore the north side of Nickel Plate Lake. I'll hold you to  keeping outing "fairly tame." How 'tame" is "tame" I wonder? I have never been to this area before so don't know anything about steepness, degree of difficulty, etc. Please advise knowing that I'm not all that comfortable with steep descents, etc., preferring reasonable flat to slightly hilly terrain, at this point in my snowshoeing experience. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patrick, From my memory….this should be one of the tamest. Cheers, Jim Margaret is out for a walk right now so when back we will discuss. Sorry for the delay in response but a few other things needed to be settled before committing - or being committed. Get back to you this afternoon O Kay?  As to going Nicole or Idling along David 

I will most likely meet you up there to snow shoe as I plan to ski at Apex as well for remainder of Thursday and likely Friday too! Will most likely stay at patrol cabin Thursday night then. Cheers….Kilian Latest and greatest. My bride would rather wander around an Idelback set of trails tomorrow, Thursday, vs driving the distance to Nicolplate and back. So . . . . We will be off and up to the Carmi Plateau tomorrow if any choose to join us vs that amazing organizer of creative blundering  extraordinaire Mr JAMES C French et al. Dr Dave

Sheherezade. Illustration by Kay Nielsen, 1917.
Hello David and Margareta, et al! If you would deign to allow me to join you I'd be much appreciative as I'd like to get to know Idleback and environs, having had such a wonderful, wonderful outing with you and Olga Polga a week ago. What time should I be ready to meet you? Just let me know time and space coordinates and I'll be there, snowshoes at the ready. Thanks muchly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Jimbo and St Kilian: Thank you both for your assessments of Nickel Plate Lake route. Tough to decide between the two outings but as I've mentioned above, I've opted for Idleback as contrary to David's disclaimer, he is as much of a creative blunderer as ever was. Again, thanks for your feedback. Enjoy yourselves. Hello to the Diehards. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Hello Rosita! Is the Polar Vortex finally getting to you? Quite enjoyed Foxworthy's comments. Apparerently Lady Dar is immune, lazing in the sun Stay warm and well, Rosita! Fondest and Bestestos, Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: I guess you know that Grogg will be visiting at the end of February to do a bit of skiing at Apex, after business in Vancouver. Should be fun to have him here for a few nights so am looking forward to seeing him. 


Declarations in ... it appears as though the old-school business community in town mostly supported Andrew James Miller Have you seen this public info???
DBJS Hello San Patricio - Melaquians!
Still in the grip of the Polar Vortex here. Must have been too cold to read about campaign donations. Stay warm and well! Bestestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Help make Granville Island the most inspiring public place in the world! CMHC-Granville Island is assembling a team of year-round volunteer ambassadors to fill roles such as Granville Island Host, Event Volunteer, and Bike Volunteer. Kathryn. Happy Lunar New Year, Mother Kathryn! Still in the grip of the Polar Vortex here. How have you "soft" Lower Mainlanders been faring with Winterpeg-like conditions? Cheers, Patrizzio! THANKS for the update, Patricio. Sounds as if you are as active and as busy as ever! Kathryn

Hello, Corinne and Patrick! How are you? It's been while since I wrote to you... I'm sorry... I see you have been great through facebook and instagram. I'm going to Canada, Whistler again in Feb.20 to 28th. Would you be around in the beginning of March? If you are, may I visit you? And could you tell me your address? Thank you! Hi Toshi! Wonderful, wonderful news! Of course you are welcome to visit/stay whenever your schedule allows. Corinne is actually in Mexico until the end of February and then a week in LA before returning to Penticton on March 7th. 

However, I'm here, as is Chloë, and Etta and Duke, so we can take care of you even if you have to visit before March 7th. I'll send a longer email message with address, etc. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!Thank you Patrick!! It’s pity that I would miss Corinne this time. I have to come back to Japan before March 7th... But look forward to seeing you and Chloe!! I check my flight schedule! Cheers!Happy Lunar New Year, Toshi-San! Absolutely terrific that you will visit Penticton. I assume you will fly from Vancouver. Let me know your flight number when you have details. It is too, too bad that you will miss Lady Dar and I know she is disappointed as well. Will just have to have you return, even sooner next time! Stay well, travel safely, Toshi! Fondestos and Bestestos, Cheers, Patrizzio!


No comments:

Post a Comment