Thursday 21 February 2019

Book Club and Becoming Blues: Thursday, February 21st

There is no such thing as not voting: you either vote by voting, or you vote by staying home and tacitly doubling the value of some diehard's vote. -David Foster Wallace, novelist, essayist, and short story writer (21 Feb 1962-2008) 


Hi, Patrick, Corinne, Chloe and Ayn!! Thank you for your wonderful update!!
I arrived Vancouver and directly move to Whistler yesterday. Very very happy to be back in Canada. I am sad not be able to meet Corinne this time, but for sure next time! I am very excited and cannot wait to see you Patrick and Chloe!
I am going to visit LA in September, so definitely would like to see you Ayn! I am planning to fly from Vancouver to Penticton on Feb.27th and go back to Japan on March 2nd. Is it all right for you Patrick and Chloe? I will book the flight to Penticton and let you know. Love, Toshiko
Hi Toshi! Have fun in Canada and stay warm in all the snow! We look forward to seeing you in September here in LA!! Love Ayn

[Ask for us!]  

Should say mask for us. I have not answered Colleen.

Off for dinner, just finished new season of border town. C

Hi, Ayn! Thank you!! I'm in Whistler at Tony Robbins seminar event as a translator. Cannot wait to visit Penticton!! Look forward to see you in September in LA! Love, Toshiko Hi Toshi That sounds like a cool gig! Have fun xoxo Waiting for my granddaughter Olivia Rose to be born in a few days! Ayn
Hi Toshi-San! Welcome back to Canada! Both Chloë and I are certainly looking forward to your visit and dates are just fine. When you know your arrival time and flight number, on February 27th, let me know and I'll pick you up at the airport. Greg, Pamela's husband, from Winnipeg, might be here during your stay. He is in Vancouver on business and he said he would like to stop over in Penticton to go skiing at Apex, about half an hour from where we live, at the end of February. I haven't heard from him about his trip, and dates in question, so am not sure if he is still coming. Nevertheless, we have plenty of room for everyone. However, if you want to stay in luxury, sheer luxury, you can always stay in Sendero Canyon where Chloë lives!

On another matter, we have tickets to the Penticton Art Gallery's Kitchen Stove series and The Grizzlies, a Canadian film, is showing on Thursday, so I'd like to invite you to join me, Toshi. [Chloë, do you want me to pick up another ticket for you?] Anyway, enjoy your time in Whistler. I'm off to go snowshoeing at Apex this morning and then I will host book club this evening. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Duke and Etta are waiting for you, Toshi! Duke, last night. He hops onto my shoulders when I'm brushing my teeth to then leap to top of medicine cabinet! Watching front street after breakfast this morning then line-up at watering hole!

Hi, Patrick and Chloe! I booked my flight between Vancouver and Penticton.
Is this flight schedule works with you? Wed, 27FEB AC8354 VANCOUVER, BC CANADA (YVR) 5:55 PM PENTICTON, BC CA (YYF) 6:50 PM Sat, 02MAR AC8353 PENTICTON, BC CA (YYF) 10:05 AMVANCOUVER, BC CANADA (YVR) 11:06 Love, Toshiko
 
 
I will be there Patrick and I know that Taffy is coming as well. Dame Judith Hi DJ! Heard from Senka and she will attend. Louisa has to work and no word from Oga Polga. Nevertheless, I'm sure we are in for a lively discussion. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hello Yoga Mat Woman! Trust you are well and limber with all your downward facing cat! I'm really enjoying being back at the pool and deep-water walking. Bumped into Tom Hoenisch yesterday and he is really enjoying his retirement. He and Carol will take an extended driving trip to Newfoundland, Maritimes and Eastern Canada. Tom will leave at the beginning of April for Winnipeg. Carol will fly to meet him in Montreal in June.

I stopped by Walla on way to pool but won't pick up buns until today, after snowshoe outing, as they will be freshly baked. Had a note from Diana sending along their Tanzania travel blog. You should give them a call when in Tinsel Town

Must away as I have to ready myself for today's snowshoe outing. Michelle is coming tonight but hasn't read the book! Senka will attend as well, so pleased as I've not heard from her in some time. Don't know if Polga will turn up as no word from her since I talked to her last Sunday. Stay well. Love and Cheers, Patrizzio/Dad! Pics: More Kittens!
 
Hi Patrick, Thanks for the greeting. We've just returned home from Punta Cana - -lots of beach area but no flamigoes doing a dance there. Assume you are aware that Bill Grey died a couple of weeks ago. Charlie & Ken attended the funeral, last weekend I believe it was. Is your surgery soon?? Roma 

Obituary for Allen Macdougall: <https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/obit-canadian-book-legend-allan-macdougall-dies-at-71>
 

Hi Patrick and other bridge folks Think I had better take a break from the evening bridge for next 4 weeks I'd appreciate you keeping me in the email loop. Hope the cards improve for all. AEB I have a busy week so am going to decline hosting or playing. Also I have a ticket for the kitchen stove movie on the 28th at 4 and am unable to go because of work. Would you like it? Let me know! Judy 

Hi JB! Sorry you can't play. [Neither can Ann for next four weeks.] Do you want me to return your table? With respect to Kitchen Stove, hiking friend, Lou Rutherford, would love your ticket so if it is still available I can pop by in next few days to collect it. Let me know. Thanks very much and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hey Patrick Some changes in my travel plans. Hope you can accommodate. Left Winnipeg couple of days late due to unforeseen circumstances so not going to make it all the way to Van. In Calgary now and am thinking about heading your way maybe Saturday. Is that okay? This could change depending on customers in Calgary.

Also, Dustin and Cody have decided to join me by flying out on Tuesday. Do you have room for them for a couple of days? I am picking them up at the Kelowna airport Tuesday night. Hope all this can work for you. Thanks in advance for your flexibility.
Regards, Greg 

Hi Mighty Grigor! Great that you are still coming. I'll be home for most of the weekend so when you know more about "Keeping the customers satisfied!" give me a shout, [250-493-0092], about time you expect to arrive. You'll be in time for Chloë's Oscar Party on Sunday too! Of course it's terrific that The Lads will join you. Duke and Etta are delighted that they will be able to bunk down with them on the back patio, under the stars. I have a small gas heater that should keep the ice from freezing too thickly on their faces and sub-zero wind at Apex will be nothing after that! Travel safely and we'll chat soon. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Pics: Just back from a fab snowshoe outing, past Apex today. All sounds good Patrick. I will call you when I know more about my schedule. Also heard sections of highway are closed due to avalanches so that might be a factor. Greg
 
Had a good visit with Kjell and Jane. They arrived in La Peñita around 11 am and I’d had just enough time to get back from yoga and have a shower when they called. We had all forgotten about the one hour time difference. So their noon was my 11. Anyway met them downtown and we went for lunch at Irma’s and then did some shopping for wine and beer and walked back to my place and after showing them around we had our siestas and around 3:30 work up and had some wine. Talked for a couple of hours then walked to Guayabitos for dinner.

Went to Le Rodeo where I had left my sweater the night before. We stayed there for dinner and I had the ribs and so did Jane. Very delicious. After eating we took a cab home and then talked a bit more and off to bed. Had breakfast this morning and then went to the Thursday market my last one before I leave.
I think they enjoyed the town and seeing Guayabitos as well. San Pancho is small and cute but not a really town like La Peñita. The took off about 12:30 to get a collectivo back to San Pancho. They only have 2 nights left. Why anyone would come for only a week I don’t know. Will send pics of what I purchased today. Love to all, Cora Lee

 
Hello Mask/Blanket Woman! Like the colores in the mask and the blanket. Had a wonderful snowshoe outing today and was quite proud of myself as it was fairly steep at times. Managed to stay upright while such "experts" as Aarturos and Jimbo fell. They are far more adventuresome than am I so I certainly don't compare my ability to theirs. Anyway, Luigi stopped at Walla on way home and I picked up a dozen fresh foccacia, as well as one dozen frozen. Will probably use the frozen when Greg, Cody and Dustin are here next week. Might have Toshi stay with Chloë, depending on where the lads decide to sleep but will figure that out after they hit town. They fly into Kelowna next Tuesday and Greg will pick them up. Toshi arrives on Wednesday. I take it you fly to Tinsel Town the same day.
 
On the home front, your car insurance is due on March 25th, $1,080, and Paula D'Arcy's Gift of the Red Bird, arrived today. Had a lovely thank you note from Sam and Alex for the presents for baby Olivia. Any word on the pregnancy? Must away as I need to set out a few things for this evening's gathering. Much Love to you my Darling. Cheers, Patrizzio! Sorry that I’m going to miss all the visitors. Chloe glad you like the blanket. Love C
Congratulations on soon reaching a more elevated genealogical plateau. AND to all those involved in making it happen. WOW. Hard to believe how little kids (well, not THAT little) are now full-fledged parents. I hope that Spring hits the Okanagan soon!!!! We are busy trying to determine which horse to ride to take Trump to the cleaners. It's wonderful to contemplate.... Donna Florida is off to her book group with a fresh loaf of bread as bounty. Me to while my evening away with a distressing lack of temptation. Cactus
 
The Issue of Mr. O’Dell
Hi again, Lady Dar! What did you mean by "Ask for us" in message with pictures of mask and blanket? Did you reply to Colleen or do you want me to do so? Wonderful that Jack is being recognized in this way. [Film on Activist Jack O’Dell] Let me know the answer to all my questions and I'll plan accordingly!!! Cheers, Patrizzio, Desperately Seeking Answers! 
 
Should say mask for us. I have not answered Colleen. Off for dinner, just finished new season of bordertown. C Oooh, nice pictures of the vineyards in the snow - something we *never* see around here. It sounds like you and Sarge had a great day out and about wine tasting in the snow - how exciting! I didn't know Chloe had permanently moved to your area. I assume Sendero Canyon is in the vicinity? Not much new here, although we've now had 3 days without rain and lots of sun! Rain is supposed to be back with us by Sunday and then for the following 10 days - I don't believe it though - we never get that much rain at this time of year. Our Barrel Tasting weekends are coming soon (first two weekends of March) and we'd love it if it wasn't raining so that we can move a couple of our barrels outside for tasting. We expect about 800 people each 3-day weekend. Besides serving wine, we are also hosting a "nacho bar" for the folks who get a little hungry while they're tasting :-).
 

Thanks for the tip on The Break. There is so much tv to watch and so little time - but I'm going to add it to my queue! Take care and good luck with your surgery in March - with or without Lady Dar at the operating table. Cheers!
Patrizzia 

Hi Patrick I always find your photos interesting but I think you are well out of line with your recent comments on the leadership, particularly today's one. I think it is a case of not coming on a particular hike if you don't like the leadership style. I am not amused. Tony Tony, I was quite dismayed to learn that you think I feel anything but appreciation and high regard for all of the individuals, whether Al, Jim, Aart, Kilian, Chuck, Otto, David, of late, and indeed yourself, who take the time to share their knowledge and experience of the countryside and lead such marvellous outings. 

I thought, and naively so, it seems, that my remarks were but silliness intended to bring a chuckle rather than hurt. I apologize that you feel the latter is true. Rest assured I will not subject you to any of my musings in the future. Patrick. 

Ok Patrick. I am sure it was not deliberate, but I had noticed several times comments which I took to be rather negative, mainly about Tyrannosauros, who I took to be Al. And the last one about the grizzled old guard was hardly laudatory. Anyway, I am not greatly upset or losing sleep over it. Tony

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen. -Samuel Lover, songwriter, composer, novelist, and artist (24 Feb 1797-1868)

Hello Nickel Platers, et al! Just a quick note to thank Otto, and his more than able accomplices, for leading us on such a remarkable outing. I must admit that I harboured a certain amount of trepidation regarding the difficulty of the ascents and descents but under the thoughtful and helpful "minding" of the much more experienced, I managed, [thank you so much], to negotiate what lay ahead and below. I know that a number of others had not been in the area before so it was doubly rewarding to discover both new terrain and experience the stunning vista of the Similkameen Valley from a different perspective. 

The choice of such a Five Star "restaurant" with a  view, with so many "amenities", was a stroke of genius! I trust that some of my snaps will give those of you who have not hiked or snowshoed here before and/or were unable to join the outing, a small sense of the exceptional trek through some of the historically fascinating and topographically beautiful landscape which surrounds us. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Very nice captures of our snowshoe adventure on Thursday.Thank you Patrick. Jos Very nice! Thanks. Aart the Mountain Bard 


Hi Wonder Woman and Mountain Bardster! Glad you both enjoyed my shots. I did Aarturos' as well and simply didn't have time to say how much until now. I had downloaded my "portrait" and sent it along to a number of good friends. One of them said I should have it framed and hung next to one of Sir Edmund Hillary since I looked like some such intrepid mountaineer or Arctic/Antarctic explorer! [I reminded him that I had to thank you for it, Aarturos.] 
 
Funnily enough, in fact, when we are climbing a hill, strung out in single file, I often like to imagine, whimsically, of course, that were are climbing/trudging towards Base Camp Everest. Still, cannot even begin to imagine how those incredibly courageous, hardy, hardy souls were able to accomplish the feats they did, given extreme conditions, at such altitudes. I huff and puff as we ascend even marginally steep slopes, let along through oxygen depleted air! You, of course, can speak far better to that with your incredible experiences in Nepal. Anyway, thanks again. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!
Hi Patrizzio, Any chance of you sending me the pics you took on Thursday up at the Gold Mine snowshoe trek. I thought Aart had shared but I can't find them now?? I would like to share with my daughter in the UK. Thanks Colin Taffy. Hi Taffy! The album I put together is below, as you can well see. Pleased to send it along. Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Here is Aarturos' link as well:

Thanks all for great snowshoe. Maybe it wasn't exactly like we had planned, but the views were great and it was, at least for Jos and myself, a new area, begging to be explored some more later! Click on following link to see my photos in Flickr: <https://www.flickr.com/photos/99264714@N02/albums/72157678864467668> You know the routine, click & play! See you soon, cheers, Aart Hi Patrick, Thanks for the greeting. We've just returned home from Punta Cana - -lots of beach area but no flamigoes doing a dance there! Assume you are aware that Bill Grey died a couple of weeks ago. Charlie & Ken attended the funeral, last weekend I believe it was. Is your surgery soon?? Roma Hi Roma!
Yes, I did know that Bill had died. I talked to Dallas the day his Dad was moved from Brandon to Hamiota and then the day after Bill died. He mentioned that Charlie and Ken were planning to attend the funeral.
 
Have never been to the Dominican Republic but many friends have always enjoyed their time there. For my part, I've been spending a few hours, two or three times a week, at our local pool. Pleased to be getting back into deep-water walking routine as I'm hoping it will help strengthen my shoulder muscles for coming surgery, March 12th. Lady Dar is enjoying her last few days in Mexico before heading to LA for a week or so. She returns to Penticton on March 7th. Fondestos to you and Leonard. Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Hi Patrick.Hope you and Karin are well.We had a nice brunch with Gregg and Fran while they were in Van.Are you here for the VWF this year?I don't recall the timing on that event.Thankyou so much for photos and the offer.We did a wine tour of the Similkameen last year so we might venture further the next time.You probably know all the notablable Okanagan wineries.Orofino is a favourite in Keromeas (sp)and we discovered another one,Vanessa, was great. Thanks again Patrick. Hope to catch up again. Eduardo (Ted)


Buona Sera Book Club! Thanks to everyone for the delicious, more than generous appetizers and wonderful wines, not to mention the lively, spirited discussion. Thanks, as well, to Dame Judith for acting as Club Secretary, and providing the reviews for the next book selection. 
 
Given the replies, already in, and my vote, I decree, by the power invested in me as Despot Extraordinaire, that Tara Westover's Educated be our next selection. Thanks, of course, to Naramata Goil for hosting in April. Stay well. Read on! Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: First snapola: I haven't read the book so I'm just going to have a nap! Excellent  gathering. Thank you Patrizzio! Looking forward to Educated, see you on the 4th of April. Senka

Tara Westover was 17 the first time she set foot in a classroom. Born to survivalists in the mountains of Idaho, she prepared for the end of the world by stockpiling home-canned peaches and sleeping with her "head-for-the-hills bag". In the summer she stewed herbs for her mother, a midwife and healer, and in the winter she salvaged in her father's junkyard.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment