Saturday 18 January 2020

!917 and World War I Ambush Blues: Saturday, January 18th!

An act of goodness is of itself an act of happiness. No reward coming after the event can compare with the sweet reward that went with it. -Maurice Maeterlinck, writer (1862-1949)  


Baja2020 — Day 12 (Jan. 18) San Ignacio —> Sta. Rosalía. (77km) Today I (Ross) did a turn driving the van, having indicated to the ever-energetic bike riding animal, Ken Williams, that I was tired so could we swap days. Ken gallantly agreed, notwithstanding that the day entailed considerable climbing. What no one anticipated was that there would also be a brutal headwind which, I am pleased to report, didn’t slow the van down at all. However, it did take some of the stuffing out of the riders. “I’m working for my money today!” said Tony.
 

Bottom line: I had a delightful drive to Mulegé, past the looming Three Sisters Volcano, took time to step into the desert and see the plants in detail, then cruised up and over and down down down the steep, spectacular, winding road into town. There, I picked up beer and snacks for the lads, and grabbed a couple of tacos at an outdoor restaurant before proceeding to Hotel Las Casitas, overlooking the surging ocean. The lads showed up in due course, we had more tacos in town, and that was pretty much it for me. They did have a tough day — probably the hardest ride so far. Muchas gracias, Señor Ken!
 
Dream 50/50: Can't believe we are more than halfway thru' January. Here is the February schedule.  I don't seem to be getting the responses that I am used to. Maybe we will have to put out a request for more volunteers.  What do you all think? Carole Hi Carole! I thought I sent an earlier message to say I could volunteer on Saturday, February 22nd. Anyway, I'm still available so let me know. With respect to more volunteers, I know a couple of people who have expressed an interest, after I mentioned I was volunteering, in selling 50/50 tickets, so I could ask them if you'd like, to increase pool. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! That would be great Patrick please ask them. Look at the schedule I do have you down for the 22nd 🤗 Hi again, Carole! OK, I'll be there on 22nd and will be in touch once I've talked to friends. Cheers, Patrizzio! Patrick I also have you down for February 10th. Is that right? Carole. Hi Carole: Yes, it is. I'll be there. Cheers, Patrizzio! 
 
Lady Dar just left to do a bit of grocery shopping and then she will head over to Winnipeg Street to help Chloë bathe Rowan James. We are planning to see 1917 at the 6:30 pm showing so looking forward to that. [1917 is a 2019 epic war film directed, co-written and produced by Sam Mendes. The film stars Colin Firth and Benedict Cumberbatch. It is based in part on an account told to Mendes by his paternal grandfather, Alfred Mendes, and chronicles the story of two young British soldiers during World War I who are given a mission to deliver a message. This warns of an ambush during a skirmish, soon after the German retreat to the Hindenburg Line during Operation Alberich in 1917.
 
Must away to do my shouldares so that I have completed all of my exercises well before Lady Dar is back otherwise I risk severe chastisement from Her Cruel Taskmistressness! 

Saimdang: Memoir of Colours: An art history lecturer, unfairly disgraced by her superior for refusing to certify a suspicious painting, endeavors to set the record straight by exploring the mystery of a 16th-century artist using a diary that may lead her to the genuine painting. Thanks very much to Naramata Pamela for suggesting this fascinating historical drama which moves back adn forth in time and has its actors play characters in both periods.


Hi all, I am happy to lead a hike on the Test of Humanity Trail. We can meet at the IGA at 9:00 on Monday, January 20th. People should bring their cleats in case it is icy. We would be about three hours then head for coffee. Cheers, Tim


India Looms – Again! Back to India. I can’t quite explain why I’m so drawn to the sub-continent while having limited interest in other destinations that are highly popular with travelers. If you gave me a free trip to Vietnam, I’d be happy to take it and I’m sure I’d enjoy it. But I won’t be disappointed if I never go to Vietnam, whereas India keeps reeling me back in.

My 4th trip to the sub-continent starts today (Saturday, January 18th) just before midnight (scheduled departure: 11:55 p.m.) It follows previous visits in 2009, 2012, 2013. The 2009 trip was an organized tour (an excellent overview/introduction).

[Study for Moloch (detail), 1895 Art: John Singer Sargent]

The second and third were solo, though well-supported by a local travel agency, which made arrangements for car-and-driver, accommodations, etc. I’ll be using the same approach this time . . . the great thing about travelling this way is the ability to fully customize the itinerary, increased flexibility for photo stops, bathroom breaks and the like, and the exclusive “use” of guides at local destinations (no jostling to see and hear from the back of a crowd). Of course, it is more expensive, especially when not sharing the cost with one or more co-travellers. But it has made for outstanding and memorable Indian travel experiences in the past and I am hoping that it will again. More details about the 2012 and 2013 trips (pictures too) are in the archives of this blog. India 2020 will be mainly new-to-me destinations in Punjab and Gujarat as well as key heritage sites in Karnataka.

I’ll also be returning to Delhi, Mumbai and Goa. My route to India will be different this time. In 2009, 2012 and 2013 I traveled via Europe, which involved long waits at the hubs in Brussels and London. However, Air Canada now offers a non-stop flight from Vancouver to Delhi, and that’s the one I’m taking. 

[1917 is set during the First World War and follows two young British soldiers (George MacKay and Dean-Charles Chapman) tasked with delivering a dangerous message that could save thousands of lives.]

At 14.5 hours, it will be the longest single flight I’ve ever experienced. I’ve decided to spring for Premium Economy . . . the wider seat will be especially welcome in the circumstances. For the return trip on February 19th, it will be a European routing again: Bangalore-Frankfurt-Vancouver.



No comments:

Post a Comment