Saturday 4 January 2020

The Kamloops Katzenjammer Kids Sing The Sendero Blues: Saturday, January 4th!

A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor. -Victor Hugo (1802-1885) 


Hi Ellen and Bill! Thanks for popping by. Rowan James stayed up until 1:30 am waiting for you to return! Have a fabulous holiday if we don't have a chance to see you before you leave. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Couple of snaps when you first came over to meet Rowan James.


Hello Open House People! Thank you all for coming by on New Year's Day and for all the lovely gifts for Rowan James and ourselves. Most generous, it goes without saying. It was terrific to see everyone and both Lady Darjeeling and I wish you well in the New Year. For those of your traveling in the next little well, do so safely. Until next our paths cross, [We trust in the not too, too distant future.], stay well. Fondestos and Cheers, Lady Darjeeling and Patrizzio! It was great to see friends and meet new ones.

Happy New Year! Susan


Hi Erika! Trust you and Amy, [and felines!], are well and enjoyed both Christmas and ringing in the New Year! In an interesting set of coincidences, we happened to meet a couple, two summers ago, at the Poplar Grove Wine Club Appreciation Party. Same happened this past year and after the bash was over we invited them back to our place. For some reason we never exchanged phone numbers or email addresses so really had no way of keeping in touch other than the fact that we both knew they worked at Penticton Regional Hospital. 

Anyway, last Saturday I was out for a bracing ride to OK Falls and when I returned Lady Dar said that the husband had knocked on our door. He couldn't remember our address but thought he would recognize our back yard as we'd sat outside the evening they were over. After a brief visit Lady Dar invited them to our Open House on New Year's Day. They did pop by, bringing their son, Thomas, with them. He had just arrived from Calgary and will begin studying at culinary school in Vancouver in the next month or so. Almost as soon as they walked in the door they recognized former neighbours, [Carol and Greg. Carol is in our bridge group.], so it was quite a reunion. While chatting with them I was reminded that the Poplar Grove People were from Winnipeg. I had forgotten this although we discovered the connection when we first met. Furthermore, both husband and wife attended DMCI! 

Of course, I then went on to mention my connection with Daniel and the two reunions you were instrumental in organizing. When I mentioned your name and the fact that you owned a place in Summerland, Martin said you were his home room teacher, at Sargent Park, I believe in Grade 7 or 9! Do you remember Martin Weirich? He is an anaesthesiologist and Shaney, his wife, [originally from Trinidad], moved from Winnipeg a number of years ago. As well, Greg also lived in Winnipeg for a number of years so all the good people are from there, as you well know! 

So, when will you be back in the Okanagan? We need to organize a reunion and you must meet Rowan James! Have attached the album of snaps I took at the Open House. Fondestos from, Lady Darjeeling to you and Amy. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: From this past summer's Poplar Grove Bash and then back at our place. Martin and Shaney met the other couple at party and we invited them to join us back at Burns as well.

Hi Pat, Sorry, please ignore the below email that I sent accidentally. I don’t know if your ubc.ca email address is even still active. Herzliche Grüsse aus Basel, Simon Hi Simon! Happy New Year to you and family! Trust you enjoyed Christmas and ringing in the New Year! We had a wonderful time over the holidays, made even more magical with having Rowan James. When I first received the message, [Yes, the UBC address is working.], I was quite puzzled but soon realized it was not intended for me so I deleted it. Weather here has been relatively "mild" and dry, over last few weeks, so I've been able to go for some great rides. Planning to do so again, today. A number of friends, from both Kamloops and Vancouver, [former are here this weekend, latter next weekend], so will be busy for next little while. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and Sabine, and family. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: New Year's Eve and then at our Open House on New Year's Day! Yesterday, boxing with Grandma at home!

Turkey: the garbage men's library: <https://www.dw.com/en/turkey-the-garbage-mens-library/av-51611303?maca=en-EMail-sharing> A great story! Jo-Anne Hi Friends of the Turkish Garbicians! Really, really interesting, on many levels, not just library aspect but on what is the nature of work and how society traditionally sees those who perform so many essential services yet are often dismissed and, worse yet, scorned or vilified. That being said, Happy New Year!  We had a wonderful time over the holidays, made even more magical with having Rowan James as you know.  Fondestos from Lady Dar to you and Colin. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Happy New Year TNT! Trust you enjoyed Christmas and ringing in the New Year! From the snaps, of latter, seems you did!  Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: Here is the home address for Chloë and Rowan James!

Happy New Year from Penticton! Pleased you enjoyed the card. Lady Darjeeling just booked flights for LA for herself, Chloë and Rowan James for February 20th until March 7th. Do hope you'll be able to connect. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Happy New Year Dinghy People! Pleased you enjoyed the card. As you mention, quite interesting customs. Chloë usually makes a cornbread stuffing for Christmas but didn't do one this year as she had her hands full, as you can imagine. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! 

It was great to see friends and meet new ones. Happy New Year! Susan And a happy new year to you !As one year ends and a new one begins, it seems like an appropriate time to share the final video from our recent concert - An East Coast Christmas featuring Mississauga Festival Choir, with special guests The Barra MacNeils. Some very wise and meaningful words by Lucy were the perfect introduction to this well known Celtic song that is synonymous with ringing in the New Year. Happy 2020 everyone!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2807089982688688&id=100001631402659


We truly enjoyed the Barra's as their largest backup group of singers ever! Ron
Hi Andrea and Ron! Trust you are both well! Really enjoyed the Barra MacNeils' and The MFC's version of Auld Lang Syne! Thanks for the very moving clip. While listening, I was trying to pick you out in the choir but couldn't do so! Reminded me of Daniel and choir days! Speaking of which we held our Annual Open House on New Year's Day this year and a number of our guests were from Winnipeg. So, when will you visit the Okanagan? We need to organize another DMCI reunion and you must meet Rowan James, our newest grandson, born on November 26th! Fondestos from Lady Darjeeling to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!

[Happy New Year! Love George, Cobby and Zev xo]
Happy New Year Bridge People! Josinta has very kindly offered to host this coming Monday, anytime after 6:30 pm. Pentictonites who plan on attending, you are welcome to car-pool with Lady Dar and myself. Let me know. If you are planning to do so you should be at Burns Street by just after 6:00 pm. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Sorry, I can't make it. I need to be in Kelowna Monday...hopefully the 14th will work out. Happy bidding. AEB Happy New Year to all of the awesome players. Thank you Patrick, your open house was phenomenal, as every year it is 🎊🥂. To bad I won’t be able to play at the year’s opener, but have fun everyone.
Cheers. Mike Happy new year all I am not able to play this week Wishing you all good cards 😻Judy


I will pick up Carol. Susan Hi Monday Nighters! Lady Dar reminded me that when I sent out announcement I didn't mention anything about a pot-luck. However, given that we won't be having two tables, perhaps we should leave this until another time. Lady Dar and I will draw straws to see who will play. Perhaps the winner could hitch a ride with you, O Susannah. Anyway, we'll see you at just after 6:00 pm. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! I will be there at the appointed hour. Patrick, I don't have Carol's email on my tablet. Could you forward this message to her. I will pick her up first at 6pm. Cheers, Susan

[Happy New Year from Morita xoGreat to hear from you. Wonderful picture. Happy New Year! Hugs, Corinne]

Hey there you all, i think patrick and Corinne and susan should all go play Bridge in Summerland and It’s high time I sit out . Have fun Carol Hi Chooch!
Are you sure you wouldn't like to play? Lady Dar has plenty to do over at Chloë's to help her get ready for the construction on her basement suite to start soon. Let me know but I think you should play unless Grogg is jealous! Cheers, Patrizzio!
Ok. So be it. Chooch!

Was able to sleep in until just before 7:00 am when El Diablo woke me up, needing a freshwater drink from the bathroom sink faucet. Then into the kitchen to prepare their pumpkin/cat food mash and my java. Had the fire laid day before so only needed to light the crumpled paper and it was soon crackling away. Spent the rest of most of the morning sending messages and playing soccer with Rinaldo! Duke has returned to liking the paper balls, [from hair scrunchies], we use as his footballs so we had an extended session of goal tending, batting balls out of the air, and chasing them across the bedspread until he needed another drink to quench his thirst from all the exertion.
  
Hi Clan Sutherland/Mercado, et al! Thanks to Beckster and Kid Chelene for hosting yet another fabulous evening. Wonderful to see The Kamloops Katzenjammer Kids, and their parents, as well, it goes without saying. Rowan James is going to have to work really hard to make the line-up on the Sutherland ball team, that's for sure! Looking forward to seeing The Two Waynes, Peggster and Flamin' this coming weekend. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Michelin 5 Star Restaurant and Wine Bar, Upper Sendero!
 
Lady Dar finally reared her pretty head and starting gathering foodstuffs for the turkey lasgana which she will take to Sendero that evening. We will have dinner there as Nicolina and Marvinator as here for the weekend. I suited up around 12:20 pm as with weather continuing to be so mild, [8º C and climbing!], I dearly wanted to log another ride. According to the forecast, the wind was not really going to be a significant factor as it was out of the ESE at 11 km/h, only gusting to 15km/h. This being the case, North to Summerland, was my cry as I headed out! 

Since it was so bright and sunny, from the get-go, I knew I had time for an extended ride before it started to get dark. Consequently, I decided to start the ride with my Hamster Cage Loops, off Power and associated side streets, and by the time I'd gerbalized myself into a Gravol coma I had just over 31 km on the clock after I did a couple of loops of Pretty Red Wing East. Cycling north I was taken, yet again with the sheer beauty of the surroundings: Lake was relatively calm, [ten gorgeous swans a-swimming, just off shore, south of Kickinee], and Naramata benches strikingly highlighted by sunshine, Mt Okanagan dusted with snow, a magnificent backdrop. Even traffic whizzing by me cooperated as nary a semi or a huge RV. 

Before I knew it I was circling the parking lot at SunOka and when I was through there I had logged 46 km when I turned off 97 onto Wharf Street. By then I knew I was poised for my longest outing since my birthday ride if I rode all the way to Crescent Beach. The thought put extra energy into my legs and thighs and I hurtled along wishing Happy New Year to many of the people out walking their dogs or pushing strollers along the streets in Trout Creek. The day was so glorious that everyone couldn't help but be in a good mood.


[Loved these pictures!! Hope all of you are well. Cheers Jo-Anne] Before I knew it I crossed Peach Orchard and was making my way to Crescent Beach where I turned around and headed back just after 3:00 pm. Pleased at both the time and distance as I knew I wouldn't have to do any didpsy-doodles in Trout Creek before I returned to the highway. This also meant that I'd be back in Penticton before it really started to become dark. Once on 97 the head wind didn't offer an inordinate amount of resistance as the cliffs provided, for much of the return leg, shelter from the easterly gusts.
Didn't even need a lap or two of Red Wing West and with the red light on Westminster and Eckhardt I was able to turn onto Riverside without any trouble from oncoming traffic. Then it was only a question of taking Burnaby back to Westminster and it was WWW all the way back to the back of the Burns Street Bistro, just after 4:30 pm, having achieved my goal of longest ride, to date, 81 km. Hip Hip Hooray.

Lady Dar was waiting for me, ordering me into the shower as soon as I walked in the door. Both she and Chloë, [At home with car, by the phone, waiting for call from her Mom!], were impatient to leave for Sendero. They insisted on being there as early as possible as Kaiya goes to bed at 7:00 pm and they wanted to be able to visit with her beforehand. No time for shouldares when The Sisterhood speaks! Cheers! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4404597692#

Happy New Year from The Burns Street Bistro! Trust you enjoyed Christmas and ringing in the New Year! Thanks for best wishes. We had a wonderful time over the holidays, made even more magical with having Rowan James, as I'm sure was the case with you folk, with Zephyr! Simply wonderful snapolas with obviously, beemingly proud Dad and Grizzled Granddad! Hip Hip Hooray!!!


Nicolina and Marvinator, from Kamloops, arrived on Friday, [Flamin' and Sarge, next weekend)], so we had a grand visit over dinner with Beckster and Kid Chelene this evening. Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio Rowan is looking at you Pat thinking 🤔.... This is the best you could get me for a grandfather?? Mutual I'm sure! Sorry to hear that you won't be able to join us this coming weekend. Hope you enjoy your skiing trip with The Millionaires! Peggster and Mr Fixit are much nicer than you anyway!!!


Jacob, Amira and Zev Love WG & C xo




No comments:

Post a Comment