Thursday 9 January 2020

Grogg and Lurch and the Ski Hill Blues: Thursday, January 9th!

It seems to me that those songs that have been any good, I have nothing much to do with the writing of them. The words have just crawled down my sleeve and come out on the page. -Joan Baez, musician (b. 9 Jan 1941) 


So Marlo is not doing well & the end of her life is very near. Ryan with Carly & Barb/ I have agreed treatment is over. This is what Mar would want. Now just having the hospital keep her comfortable. Ryan is on his way home to shower and shave and get the kids from school and bring them for the last time to see their mom. Beyond that we will be near by. DR can not say exactly how long but we know the time is very limited. We will let you all know Love George 


The 12 Commandments of Growing Old: Hi Moses and His Angel! Trust you
are both well. Thanks for the Commandments but, fortunately, we don't have need of them! We had a wonderful, wonderful time over the holidays, made even more magical with having Rowan James, as I'm sure you can well imagine, who keeps us young!



After sending this message I will suit up for a ride. Although we have had snow over last week or so, it is relatively "warm" today and the streets are nicely dry. Wind is out of the N at 4 km/h so I will head for Summerland to have it pushing me home on return leg. At least that is the plan! Stay well. Fondestos from Lady Dar, just off to a yoga class and then to Winnipeg Street to be look after Rowan James as Chloë has some errands to run. Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Dream 50/50: I still need someone for the sold out* show next Wednesday.Hi Carole! If you still need somebody, I can volunteer on Wednesday, January 15th. Before responding I had to wait to make sure there was no conflict with friends who are coming to visit. Let me know and I'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio! Are you sure Patrick, I can fill in if you can't. I do appreciate you stepping up once again. me Hi Carole! I'm happy to take the shift unless you would like it. So let me know what you think. Cheers, Patrizzio! Are you good for Wednesday then Patrick? Carole Yes, I'll be there! Cheers, Patrizzio! Awesome! Wed will be full so possibly no seat FYI Thanks both of you for what you do! Hazel

Around 11:30 am, I dressed warmly and set out to test my legs. Although we have had snow over last week or so, it was relatively "warm", [-2º C], and the streets were nicely dry. Wind was out of the N at 4 km/h so I thought I'd head for Summerland to have it pushing me home on return leg. However, once I was riding along Lakeshore I could really feel the windchill and decided I opt for the Gerbil Cage, not wanting to face the polar blasts along 97. This being the case I popped a couple of Gravol and began the merry-go-round off Power. Quite quickly I found myself clenching my fingers inside my "lobsters" to try help the circulation in my hands. This became a regular occurrence whenever the wind was behind me and I didn't need to grip the handlebars as tightly.

There was some road maintenance taking place on the back lane just before Westminster and I sympathized with the workers, particularly the flag-people. At least the effort of riding helped to keep me warm but simply standing around, waiting to direct traffic, must have been uncomfortable, to say the least. 


Even the gulls avoided the water and were huddled along the shore near the icy water. Although the sun peaked out from behind the heavy clouds, from time to time, the anaemic sunshine provided only the promise of warmth but delivered little, if any. Nevertheless, I counted myself fortunate to be out riding at this time of year so put my petty complaints and discomforts aside and kept circling, ad infinitum, until I was ready to head for Burns and the welcome warmth of the fire that was already laid and waiting for me to put a match to its kindling. When back I resolved to wear a thin pair of gloves inside my "lobsters" if I was able to go out again, in the next little while. Not sure if this will be possible, at least in the short term, as forecast is for heavy snow and frighteningly sub-zero temperatures, -17º C, at least for Penticton, over the weekend. Cheers to the Polar Express!!! Map and Stats for ride:

 https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4419969870#.XhfutpcuSw8.email

We really enjoyed seeing Pain and Glory, (Spanish: Dolor y gloria), a 2019 Spanish drama film directed and written by Pedro Almodóvar. It stars Antonio Banderas and Penélope Cruz. The film, shot in lush, lush colours, [Lady Dar loved furnishings and clothes.], narrates a series of reunions of Salvador Mallo, (Antonio Banderas), a film director in his decline. 

Some of these reunions play out in real time, others are recalled through flashbacks: his life in the 1960s, when he moved with his family to the primitive village of Paterna, his schooling, his first love in Madrid in the 1980s, the pain of the breakup of this relationship, writing as a therapy to forget, the discovery of cinema, facing the impossibility of continuing filming, etc. In many ways I was reminded of Fellini's Amarcord, his 1973 comedy-drama, a semi-autobiographical tale about Titta, an adolescent boy growing up among an eccentric cast of characters in the village of Borgo San Giuliano, in the 1930's. Like Fellini, Almodóvar uses elements of his own childhood to shape parts of the story and a number of the characters in the film are variations of people he knew from childhood. However, the adult character is the main focus of this film. Before the movie, Lady Dar dropped me off at the cinema as she has become "obsessed" with having decent seats. She feels I always wait until the last minute and by the time we arrive we have to sit in the very front row, straining her precious, delicate neck! 
 
Anyway, she then drove over to Chloë's place to leave car as she would need it to come over to our place later. Grogg and Lurchesca were coming for dinner around 6:00 pm and we'd asked Chloë to be there to let them in. They arrived earlier that day, while I was out riding, [Very, very chilly in spite of the gorgeous sunshine!], and dropped off wine, [one a magnum of my "cousin's" Howell Mountain, Napa Valley, 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon, (Randy Dunn is a highly respected wine-maker in California.), so we were royally treated. Last time either Lady Dar or I had enjoyed his wine was in St Helena, there with L/G, probably twenty years or more ago now!], cheese and a baguette, before checking into the Lakeshore.

We had a lovely evening, catching up as I'd not seen them in over a year, around this time, and more than two for Lady Dar as she had been in Mexico then. They are on another ski holiday, having come from Whistler. Fernie is next and then Revelstoke, finishing off at Sun Peaks towards the end of the month. 


We are hoping we might see them there as good friend, Trevor, from Adelaide, will be there then as well. Didn't make it to Kamloops last year so it would be great to see him this year. Have quite a few friends in the city so would be grand if we could touch bases with them as well.

Funnily enough, when G/L checked into the hotel they were helped by friend, Guillermo, aka Bill, I know from hiking group. He and his wife, Naughty Nancita, aka Nancy, live on Burns, one block north of us. He works part-time as Doorman and he and Grogg started chatting when he saw his guitar case. Bill plays as well. He is a lovely chap and we both share a love of movies. 


Hello, Patrizzio! Thanks you so much, and to Corinne as well, for your kind thoughts.This year, 2020, would have been my 8th year of providing elder care.
It was tough seeing my father decline and then my mother as well. Went to the home today, lots of hugs from the caregivers who are likely more upset than I am. They were a wonderful group of people and while they know their residents are elderly, it probably hurts

when, in spite of all their efforts, someone slips away. Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment