Tuesday 21 January 2020

Brock, Irene and Mike, The Shouldare Basement Suite Blues: Tuesday, January 21st!

Walking is also an ambulation of mind. -Gretel Ehrlich, novelist, poet, and essayist (b. 21 Jan 1946)

 




Hi Patrice, I hope you are well my friend and enjoying your time with your mini doppelganger!

I had to let you know that you were with me in a dream I had last night where we were at some coffee shop slash emporium with the sisterhood. I was looking around and found what I thought was part of an custom incumbent bike frame. I was really excited as it was shaped like a delta winged aircraft!. I called you over and your were kind of amused and I said this has got you written all over it or something to that affect, you seemed somewhat skeptical so I said o.k. either you buy it or I will!


It kind of morphed at this point and you were not present but I started playing around with it in an open area but now it had become more of a tyvek material over a frame like a wing suit. As I spread it out I got more excited because I noticed in the pile of stuff was a rear tail fin and rudder as well as a small twin jet engine!!. I kind of pieced it together and couldn’t believe my luck to have found such a thing and paid a minimal cost for it. Wanting to try holding it up and catching some wind I stood up and held it but a bit of a breeze started to lift me off the floor. Somebody nearby was kind of shaking their head that it was a bad idea to be trying this inside so I gathered it up and started heading for the door which led to Granville mall apparently. That’s where I woke up and poof the adventure was over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEFmFMeXV3E

I don’t dream often that I can remember anyway so it was pretty significant as was the fact that you were involved. Anyway, perhaps I will keep working on a viable pedal assist jet bike and have something to present when I next see you!, perhaps we can strap baby Rowan to it and see how it goes!! Give my love to the goils and we’ll be in touch soon about a trip up to see you all. Cheers, Al

 
Hi Nightmare of Elm Street! I can only imagine that your considerable guilt over not having delivered the firewood storage unit, [Ordered and paid for, in full, over four years ago, I should remind you!], has finally built up to the point where it has started troubling your sleep! Must say you had me chortling over your description of the dream. For my part, when I'm able to recount any I've had, I am always fascinated by the "logic" or lack thereof, of the events that unfurl. Furthermore, Wile E. Coyote clip was simply wonderful. I must say I always looked forward to those cartoons when at a Saturday matinee. I always felt quite sorry for the coyote as he could never outsmart the roadrunner in spite of his grandiose schemes.

Weather has taken a turn for the considerably warmer of late so much of the snow in our yard has melted. Roads are drying nicely, as well, so I'm hoping I might even be able to ride if this trend holds. Otherwise, for exercise, [other than splitting firewood!], I have been hitting the pool. 

The Sisterhood will need to coordinate the dates that Lady Dar, Chloë/Rowan James will be in Winnipeg and then in La, if you still plan to visit. Of course, we hope you will be able to do so. If this is the case, perhaps we could do a bit of snow-shoeing, [as well as wine-tasting!], when you are here. We have Chloë's set available. Do you own your own? If so, consider bringing them so all of us could enjoy an outing or more.

Have really enjoyed two Oscar nominated movies of late. First was 1917. This past Saturday we took in Judy, biopic about Judy Garland. Renée Zellweger, as Garland, was simply remarkable. The film follows Judy Garland's career during the last year of her life when she relocated her stage career to Britain, with flashbacks to the making of The Wizard of Oz, when she was 14 years old, and and being manipulated by Louis B. Mayer. These flashbacks allow one to understand the "backstory" to her lifelong addiction to drugs and alcohol. During the shoot she was given "speed" to diminish her appetite and to allow her to survive the grueling hours on set and then narcotics to allow her to sleep! She died six months after a run of sell-out concerts in London, back in the US, at 47!

Stay well. Fondestos to both of you. Cheers for now, Patrizzio! Pics: Duke and Rowan James this past Sunday when the Winnipeggers were over for dinner: roast and pop-overs! Rowan James won't even need your jet-bike as he moves his hands and legs at almost the speed of light when in his "recliner"!

Hi, The celebration will take place next Thursday, January 30th at the Rossmere Golf and Country Club at 1:30 in Winnipeg. Please share this as George and I have limited contacts for family and friends. Thanks, Barb and George  

Hi Wild Bill! Looked for you on Sunday morning. Perhaps you were in the fast lane. Anyway, I managed to clock 2.5 miles and am pleased with how my shoulder became increasingly more flexible as the session continued. Still a long way to go to return to the stroke I once had but at least I can notice incremental progress in terms of flexibility and extension.

Just back from my physio and she says I am making similar progress with the stretching exercises she has assigned. However, she feels I will have to do at least some of them for the rest of my life, given my particular musculature and historical usage of said shoulder! Something I'd already accepted but am still very happy that I'm able to do most everything physical I wish to undertake, without pain or real limitation.

On a more important matter, Lady Dar booked air fare for Winnipeg yesterday. They will leave, from Kelowna, on Monday, so we were hoping you and The Lovely Rita might be able to join us for dinner on either Friday or Saturday evening. Whichever night works best for you is fine with us. If not this weekend then we'd have to wait until they return, on February 3rd. Anyway, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Duke and Rowan James this past Sunday!


Hi, Patrick and Corinne: For your reading pleasure, there is a new entry on Janet’s India Blog: “Wrong Rupees” <janettomkins.wordpress.com> Kindly excuse the generic message, which I am sending to a number of contacts. And please email and let me know if you’d rather not receive such messages when there is a new post and would prefer to follow by checking up on your own initiative from time to time. (You can even say that if you don’t in fact want to read my blog at all and are trying to be polite. I’m aware that it’s not of surpassing interest to the universe!) 

Hello Memsahib! Wonderful that you are back where you belong, even if you are saddled with wrong currency! Don't think we are not keen to read all about your latest travel adventures so keep the posts coming! Stay well. Travel safely. Fondestos to you, Janet, and the Happy Princes! Cheers for now. All the best. 
Patrizzio! PS: Album, below, of hike this past Monday. Pics: Rowan, a week or so ago, on lovely, lovely quilt your mother made! [I think sent these snaps earlier but just in case not. I trust you both received thank-you cards by now!]


Hi Nightmare of Elm Street! I can only imagine that your considerable guilt over not having delivered the firewood storage unit, [Ordered and paid for, in full, over four years ago, I should remind you!], has finally built up to the point where it has started troubling your sleep! Must say you had me chortling over your description of the dream. For my part, when I'm able to recount any I've had, I am always fascinated by the "logic" or lack thereof, of the events that unfurl. Furthermore, Wile E. Coyote clip was simply wonderful. I must say I always looked forward to those cartoons when at a Saturday matinee. I always felt quite sorry for the coyote as he could never outsmart the roadrunner in spite of his grandiose schemes.

Weather has taken a turn for the considerably warmer of late so much of the snow in our yard has melted. Roads are drying nicely, as well, so I'm hoping I might even be able to ride if this trend holds. Otherwise, for exercise, [other than splitting firewood!], I have been hitting the pool. This past Sunday morning I managed to clock 2.5 miles and am pleased with how my shoulder became increasingly more flexible as the session continued. Still a long way to go to return to the stroke I once had but at least I can notice incremental progress in terms of flexibility and extension.
 
This morning I saw my physio, for last time, and she said I was making similar progress with the stretching exercises she has assigned. However, she felt I would have to do at least some of them for the rest of my life, given my particular musculature and historical usage of said shoulder! Something I'd already accepted but am still very happy that I'm able to do most everything physical I wish to undertake, without pain or any real limitation.

On a more important matter, Lady Dar booked air fare for Winnipeg on Monday. She and Chloë/Rowan James will leave, from Kelowna, next Monday, returning on February 3rd. They will attend the Celebration of Life, for Marlo, who died two weeks ago. She had to wait until the date was set for the memorial service. Although nobody would have wished for this trip it will give Chloë a chance to introduce Rowan to the rest of the family. Furthermore, we are hoping that Clara, Corinne's mother, [now 94 but a firecracker still], will fly back with them to stay with us until mid-March. Pamela, her youngest, has already planned to visit then, when in Vancouver on business, so Clara could fly back to Winnipeg with her.

They leave again, a little more than two weeks later, this time for LA, on February 20th, until March 7th, to celebrate Olivia Rose's first birthday and introduce Rowan James to Tinsel Town folk. The Sisterhood will need to coordinate these dates if you still plan to visit. Of course, we hope you will be able to do so. If this is the case, perhaps we could do a bit of snow-shoeing, [as well as wine-tasting!], when you are here. We have Chloë's set available. Do you own your own? If so, consider bringing them so all of us could enjoy an outing or more.

Have really enjoyed two Oscar movies of late. First was 1917. In case you don't know it, a 2019 epic war film directed, co-written and produced by Sam Mendes. The film stars Colin Firth and Benedict Cumberbatch. It is based in part on an account told to Mendes by his paternal grandfather, Alfred Mendes, and chronicles the story of two young British soldiers during World War I who are given a mission to deliver a message. This warns of an ambush during a skirmish, soon after the German retreat to the Hindenburg Line during Operation Alberich in 1917. Although one suspects all will turn out well in the end it is a credit to the film that it has one sitting on the edge of one's seat most of the time. Highly recommend it.

This past Saturday we took in Judy, biopic about Judy Garland. Renée Zellweger, as Garland, was simply remarkable. The film follows Judy Garland's career during the last year of her life when she relocated her stage career to Britain, with flashbacks to the making of The Wizard of Oz, when she was 14 years old, and and being manipulated by Louis B. Mayer. These flashbacks allow one to understand the "backstory" to her lifelong addiction to drugs and alcohol. During the shoot she was given "speed" to diminish her appetite and to allow her to survive the grueling hours on set and then narcotics to allow her to sleep! She died six months after a run of sell-out concerts in London, back in the US, at 47!

Stay well. Fondestos to both of you. Cheers for now, Patrizzio! Pics: Duke and Rowan James this past Sunday when the Winnipeggers were over for dinner: roast and pop-overs! Rowan James won't even need your jet-bike as he moves his hands and legs at almost the speed of light when in his "recliner"!

No comments:

Post a Comment