Friday 17 January 2020

Ikea Tinkering and the Pedicure Blues: Friday, January 17th!

A time will come when a politician who has wilfully made war and promoted international dissension will be as sure of the dock and much surer of the noose than a private homicide. It is not reasonable that those who gamble with men's lives should not stake their own. -H.G. Wells, British Writer [The Salvaging of Civilization] (1866-1946)


Hi Patrick, Coming to you from sunny Puerto Escondido. Sorry for the delayed response. I have not been using my cell. Feb was decided for next meeting because some people (😎) people were away. Hasta la vista. Pam Hi Puerto Escondido Pamela!  Nice life, far away from the ice and snow of Naramatia! Thanks for confirmation of date but we assumed it was in February. Senka told Lou that it was in January! Thought I'd send a lengthy reply so that you have something to read, while lolling on the beach, in case you don't have any books along!
 

Anyway, while you have been enjoying sun and surf I have been shoveling snow! Must away to tend the fire and make myself a late breakfast before I head out to split more firewood! Think pedicures are on the menu for both Lady Dar and myself. Also hoping to hit the pool later this afternoon. Am up to two miles a session and planning for three as my goal for January. Fondestos from Her Imperiousness, green with frozen envy, to you both! Cheers, Patrizzio! Looks like we headed out of Dodge just at the right time😉 Always nice to have great trades people. Lovely photo of Chloe and Rowan👍 Pam Hi Miss Kitty and Marshall Dillon! Yup, you hightailed it out of Dodge in the nick of time! Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Nice pictures, Patrizzio, And a very nice letter. As a former English teacher, you can be sure that I appreciate good prose. If you appreciated Pain and glory and Fellini, you just might get a chuckle out of Jean-Claude Lauzon's "Leolo". I think it's a masterpiece of Canadian film. Maybe you have seen it? Maybe this could be the first film of the as-yet-to-be-started film club? Your swim distance is impressive - I've been managing just over a km 3 times a week! As for dinner, we are pretty free in the evenings, with the exception of Sundays, when we host the family. Give fond regards to Corrine. Now we are off to ski the KVR!
 
Hi Up-the-Down Staircase Teach! I'm pleased to learn that you enjoyed my missive and appreciate the passing grade! Does this mean I have an exemption for final? [Perhaps you are too, too young to remember "exemptions" but when in Manitoba, during the 50's and 60's, when I attended Isaac Brock and then Daniel McIntyre, in Grades 7, 8, 10 and 11, if one maintained an average above 80%, I believe it was, you were not required to write finals in June. However, such was not the case in Grades 9 and 12 as so-called Provincials were mandatory to provide results for meeting entrance requirements for high school and university.


Thanks very much for suggesting Léolo. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't think I'd ever even heard of it! When, [Note, not If!], the Film Club has its first season, Léolo will definitely be one of the initial screenings. Start hoarding popcorn! Trust your KVR ski adventure went well. For my part, I went to the pool but did an hour's worth of deep-water walking as I didn't feel I had enough time to swim my basic 2 miles. Spent a goodly part of the morning splitting firewood so by the time I was ready to roll it was close to 2:00 pm and Lady Dar had made an appointment for us to have pedicures at 4:30 pm. Anyway, I did enjoy the session as I'd not done any of this activity since I started swimming again. Steam room was fab as it was really sizzling times I was inside. Pedicure was perhaps the best I ever had. Anna used a pencil grinder on my nails, to good effect, as a couple of the larger toes have ridges on them from years of squash playing, and really smoothed them out. I could have stayed there all day when she finished up with a foot and leg massage. All the while the massage chair was working me over so I was a noodle by the time the session was over!

On a much sadder note, with respect to the dinner invitation, we'd like to hold off until we hear from Corinne's brother in Winnipeg. Difficult to report that his oldest daughter, Marlo, died yesterday, after being diagnosed with bone cancer in May, 2018. Both Chloë/Rowan James and Corinne will fly back for memorial service but this date has not yet been set. Should know in the next few days as the family there would like to hold the Celebration of Life as soon as possible. When we know when they will be away, and for how long, I'll be in touch and we can settle on a date that works for everyone.

Although nobody would have wished for this trip it will give Chloë a chance to introduce Rowan to the rest of the family. [In one of her many acts of courage and selflessness, Marlo waited until after Rowan's birth to announce that she was not continuing with chemo-therapy.] Furthermore, we are hoping that Clara, Corinne's mother, [now 94 but a firecracker still], will fly back with them to stay with us until mid-March. Pamela, her youngest, has already planned to visit then, when in Vancouver on business, so Clara could fly back to Winnipeg with her. Difficult time, as you well know. Fondestos to the Lovely Rita and you, Grappster! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patrick and Corinne, As always an interesting and sometimes very amusing ’note’ from you. Who is Diablo - a new cat???? We are hooked on Grace and Frankie and I can’t believe the amount of time I have spent watching it and staying awake! I don’t need to know of any more shows to watch as this is enough - disgusting amount of time glued to the TV already with the news and the serial.

We are in busy mode getting all the house cleaned up, laundry and ironing done, packing etc. etc. It has been very cold here but no new snow after huge snowfalls for a couple of days. We are looking forward to sunny weather and dry skin becoming silky smooth!  


Our neighbour took 3 days and 6 flights to get out of here due to the snow etc. in Vancouver. Fortunately we shouldn’t have any problems. Must get going here to do the list of chores. Cheers, Dawn Thanks Patrick. Enjoyed the photos of your snow, Chloe and Rowan too. Dawn

Hi again, Grace and Frankie Junkies! [Great when your "connection" is your own son!] I'm pleased to learn that you enjoyed my missive and found it mildly amusing. Your country yokels are so critical of high-brow humour. I guess you simply don't get it in Hicksville!


El Diablo is another name for Duke, The Devil Cat. Per esempio, this morning he proceeded to knock hair brushes, pill bottles, etc., onto the bathroom floor or into sink to get our attention. Time to get up, humans! It was Lady Dar's turn to rise to limit damage while I stayed abed listening to the coverage of the incredible blizzard in Newfoundland: The provincial government said snow drifts of 12 and 15 feet high have been reported on some highways. Many lost electricity due to winds that exceeded 120 km/h in St. John's! Here, nothing in comparison but more than enough for a number of friends have been cross-country skiing on the KVR. Fondestos to the Netflix Druggies from Lady Darjeeling with a Young and the Useless monkey of her own on her back! Happy packing. [Just be thankful you are not leaving from St John's] Stay well. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: For non-cat person Donna Maria! El Diablo! Duke will often sit on my keyboard when he wants me to play "soccer" with him! Inspecting Lady Dar's new Grandmothers for Africa T-shirt! Etta is no Goody-Two-Shoes either!

Dear Corrine, Patrick and Chloe, So sad to hear from Maya this morning about your loss...very sad indeed...
I just spoke to Noreen. If you wish to make any  arrangements to stay at her place in Winnipeg, she has asked me to ask you to call her. Mom leaves Sunday for Kevin and Alex’s in Courtenay, and there would be two bedrooms available at her home, which would be perhaps more comfortable than a hotel. She would leave a key with a Liam, and you could connect with him when you arrive in Winnipeg. Please connect directly with her.
Gail and I offer our heartfelt condolences... peace/Colin


Thank you so much for your condolences. It is certainly a very sad time for our family. Marlo was an accomplished woman who contributed much to her community. I will contact Noreen and see about staying at her place. It would certainly help with Rowan. My sister Pam's place is small and my mom will also have to stay there. I appreciate you reaching out to us. Love Corinne Sending you all love, Corinne. Just a quick note, there are only two 'official' bedrooms, but as you may recall, lots of space, so if Ayn joins there is space for her, as well. Thinking of you all. Chloë, please send Ryan's address when you have time. 

Thanks Maya I contacted Noreen and we will stay there. Very sad time for the family. I appreciate you thinking of us! Hugs Corinne Hi Colin: Thank you and Gail for your condolences on Marlo's death. As well, thank you for suggesting Noreen's as a place for Chloë/Rowan James and Corinne to use while in Winnipeg. Maya has already suggested that there would be space for Ayn should she be able to travel to Manitoba. Thanks again for your thoughtfulness and generosity. Love, Patrick.

Baja2020 — Day 11 (Jan. 17) El Marasal —> San Ignacio (73km). Perfect riding today — temperate morning, sunny, nice tailwind, flowers beside the road. We ground out the km’s with a nice steady pace. Once again the road was for the first 40k pretty much flat (213 meters climbing over 73km) and dead straight. Fortunately, Ken gave me a heads up that there was a curve in 24k or I might have gone off the road!

San Ignacio is an oasis of sorts, with a small lake, palm trees and a small, picturesque town. We rendezvous’d with Kelowna friends (Jeanette and Tony) of Mark and Don who were heading back north after a couple of months kite boarding in Baja. Great day!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment