Friday 24 January 2020

Mostly Cloudy and the Rainy Day Read a Book Blues: Friday, January 24th!

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. -Edith Wharton, novelist (24 Jan 1861-1937) 


For the third day in a row, weather cooperated, no snow or any rain, so I was able to take advantage of this and suit up around 11:30 am, in spite of the considerable wind, seemingly growing fiercer with each day, now out of the SSE at 24 km/h, changing to S at 32 km/h, gusting to 37 km/h and increasing to 43 km/h. Fortunately the  temperature, initially around 7º C, dropping to 5º C by ride's end, was not at all uncomfortable. Still, I knew I'd be better to stick to my route regulare in order to minimize time I spent riding into the considerable head wind. 


So did just that and when I reached the marina next to the PTC I noticed that last night's rain had washed the parking lot clean of ice and slush, so I could use a few dipsy doodles there to add to my distance. Did three loops, to the PTC and back to the roundabout, increasing each mini-loop in the parking lot by one so that when I headed for Lakeshore I had 10 km on the clock. This raised my spirits, as the gusts were nothing to sneeze at, and I determined to chip away at the distance I had set for the day, [51 km], by embarking upon seven loops of Churchill off Power, once I left the Riverside Mall. Choosing this particular loop minimized the distance I had to ride into the head wind, blasting straight out of the South, as I made the turn, off Lakeshore onto Power. 

After I'd completed this segment I returned, on Westminster, to the mall and then made for PTC again where I was able to chalk up more distance, repeating the earlier loops so I had logged just over 26 km, [half of the distance for the day], and when I had finished threading my way through the parking lot, back at the mall, it was time for last run to PTC. 
 
Although dizzy from all the dipsy-doodles my head cleared as I left the mall for the last time to describe six loops of the Power/Dynes circuit and once these were discharged it was the WWW Highway for home. Must admit that my legs were feeling reasonably fatigued when I pulled into the back driveway at Burns. I think it was a combination of  the three rides as well as the increasingly strong head winds. When on Power, in particular, I looked forward to standing up in the saddle to make headway against them and stretch my leg muscles. Nevertheless, hard to believe that I was even able to ride in January. Last year, at this time, I was shoveling snow or snowshoeing at Idleback! Cheers! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4474350691#.Xit_E1et6YY.email

hi pat: regarding your possible journey to winnipeg for the service, a thought for your consideration. i have a few vehicles there which are not in full time use (my ford crew cab pick up and an older volvo xc 90 suv). if you guys are heading there i have no issue making either or both available. we’re off to harrison hot springs this morning with my mom, aunt and the boys (emmett’s 11th birthday sunday). let me know if the service has been scheduled when you have a moment.


Hi Harrison Hot Springs Spa People! Thanks very much for your more than generous offer of your vehicles, Kevin. Corinne recently booked air fare for Winnipeg. She and Chloë/Rowan James, [I need to be here as construction on basement suite at Chloë's place is to start next week.], will leave, from Kelowna, this coming Monday, returning on February 3rd. The Celebration of Life, for niece Marlo, will take place on Thursday, January 30th. Although nobody would have wished for this trip it will give Chloë a chance to introduce Rowan James to the rest of the family. They would very much like to take you up on your offer. Rowan James immediately voted for the Ford Crew Cab but The Sisterhood think the Volvo SUV would be perfect for hauling all of them, [and assorted baby gear!], around town. [However, they need to know if it sports an automatic transmission as neither can drive a standard!] 

Ayn will be flying up the day before the memorial service so this vehicle will certainly make their lives much easier, if they can drive it! [Coincidentally, Pamela, Corinne's youngest sister, hit some black ice a few days ago and thinks her car is now a write-off. Fortunately, she wasn't injured.] Pamela can drive a stick shift so they can arrange to have her chauffeur them, if needs be. Again, thank you for your kind, timely offer. Will wait to hear from you and then we'll plan accordingly. [Where might they have access to keys for vehicle, address where it is parked and anything else they might need to know about vehicle itself, etc.] Until then, enjoy your time in Harrison. When last there, 2004, Corinne was attending a BCLA conference. 
 
I was retired by then so I took my bike and rode for much of the day, finishing off with a session at one of the public hot springs, soothing my tired muscles. Even managed to work up a thirst so what a magical day! Fondestos to Noreen and Barbara and best wishes to Emmett on his coming 11th birthday. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Rowan James voting for Ford Crew Cab!

Thanks for the update as I was just about to book the rental car! The Ford Crew Cab will work just fine too as it is basically an SUV with a truck bed. But yes, whichever is the automatic would be the choice! Love to all Ayn

Good morning SOWTS members: It has come to my attention that some people did not receive the tasting notes, agenda and minutes for our upcoming event.
 

I am attaching them to this e-mail. I apologize for those who might receive the e-mail twice. Judi Ritcey, Event Co-Ordinator SOWTS Attached are the revised tasting notes for Sunday. A slight error in the first ones. Hope you haven't already printed them. Judi

My latest blog entry: “Bread Basket of India” <janettomkins.wordpress.com> From Amritsar, I moved on several days ago to Anandpur Sahib, the birthplace of the Sikh kingdom. Anandpur Sahib is south-east of Amritsar, about a 4-hour drive, still in Punjab.

 Beautiful photos, RBH; very evocative.  Looks like a lovely stretch of the ride, though I admit that I am partial to the coast.Baja2020 — Day 14 (Jan. 20) Mulegé —> Playa Buenaventura (42km).

Having been serenaded to sleep by crowing cocks, (many less than when we arrived the previous afternoon), everyone woke refreshed and ready for a relatively short ride to our camping spot at Playa Buenaventura. As we set out birds were warming themselves in the morning sun. Riding was pleasant and afforded many picturesque coastal vistas of Bahía Concepcion. Our first and only real stop was at Playa Santispac where we took refreshments in the shade of a nice palapa while observing the behaviour of recent immigrants parked on the beach. Moving right along, we passed immigrant housing overlooking the sparkling sea and more of same on the beach at Playa El Burro. 
Before long, we arrived at our destination, Playa Buenaventura. There, we set up tents (no, wait, certain members paid Bug Buck$ for a bed in a reportedly abandoned but still operating hotel operated by a young American entrepreneur.) After the usual post-ride indulgences, (beer and wine to rehydrate; chips and nuts to replenish vital salts), we shambled along the beach to the nearby funky but attractive bar/restaurant. More rehydration occurred along with consumption of burgers, fish tacos, etc. The menu was limited, (depleted), because the previous day a large, (and presumably hungry), crowd had gathered to watch the NFL semifinals. 

Touchingly, the aforementioned enterprising hotelier had set up an altar to the Green Bay Packers, although evidently his prayers rose to deaf ears as the Packers were sent packing by the San Francisco 49ers. That’s particularly exciting because Jack and Saba are now moving to SanFran and it should be a hopping place on Super Bowl Sunday. Here endeth the day. Reminder: Mark is regularly updating his blog at <www.bajabikeride.com> -Ross
 

No comments:

Post a Comment