Wednesday 22 January 2020

Bye Bye Frosty Blues: Wednesday, January 22nd!

Courage is not the towering oak that sees storms come and go; it is the fragile blossom that opens in the snow. -Alice M. Swaim 


“Cooking for a Crowd” There are some photos in this one. And you might even be able to spot me in one of them. <janettomkins.wordpress.com>

Great pics of young Rowan! Patrick, we are going to Vancouver to see one of our grandson's. Life is good being grandparents! We can certainly be available in February. I swam at 11:00 on Sunday so may have arrived after your epic swim. I can get about 1.2 km in 25 minutes; Tomorrow, swim at 11:00. Hi Dolphin Boy! I was ploughing through the water at just after 10:00 am on Sunday so I was there when you were there. I'm planning to swim today but I might be there tomorrow as well so perhaps we'll connect before you head into Vancouver. Once Lady Dar is back from Winnipeg we'll be in touch. Think it would be better to wait until then as not quite sure what she and Chloë have on their calendars before they leave again, this time for LA to celebrate our great-granddaughter's first birthday and introduce Rowan James to Tinsel Town folk.

Must away to start checking of the endless chores Lady Dar left for me. [She is taking Chloë/Rowan James to the Health Clinic as he is to receive his first set of immunization shots.] Must take down the Christmas lights still up around our picture window and remove Frosty from front door now that the snow is melting. Poor chap! Cheers for now, Patrizzio!

Lovely Rita has one chore... Writing up chores for me to do! Bill Hello Fellow Malingerer! Welcome to The Brotherhood Chore Club. We gather, once a month, and get drunk while comparing lists! Longest list with most unfinished tasks wins! So far, I'm the winner by miles! Cheers, Patrizzio!

As Lady Dar was driving Chloë/Rowan James to the Health Clinic to receive his first set of immunization shots this morning she left me an endless list of chores to have discharged before she returned, on threat of excruciating torture if not completed to her royal satisfaction! First order of the day was to take down the Christmas lights still up around our picture window and then remove Dusty's Frosty from front door, now that the snow is melting. Poor chap! We both had our own particular crosses to bear. Things are so out of hand that I've decided to found The Brotherhood Chore Club. We will gather, once a month, and get drunk while comparing lists! Longest list with most unfinished tasks wins! Theoretically, I'll be the winner by miles!
 

At any rate I was suited up just after 1:30 pm. Having looked at the forecast shortly before I set out I knew the wind was going to be a considerable factor as it was out of the SSE at 24 km/h, gusting to 35 km/h. However, it was almost balmy at between 3º and 4º C so the windchill was really not a factor. Since I didn't really feel like facing such a wall of wind, if I headed south towards OK Falls, I decided I'd stay within the city limits especially since I had a pretty good idea that the roads I'd be using were quite dry. Turned out to be the case so I simply followed my route regulare except I didn't do any small loops around the marina parking lot as it was still almost completely covered with an icy slush, instead completing three trips to the PTC before making for Lakeshore.


Had to stand up in the saddle when I hit Riverside as head wind was more than considerable. Still, it was at my back as I started on first Hamster Cage loop, one off Power/Westminster and Burnaby. After I'd described seven loops I returned to the Riverside Mall and then headed back towards PTC for a little change of scenery and to stop myself from becoming too, too dizzy, Dear Reader! Another three loops around the roundabout to the tennis club and back and then it was Lakeshore once again.

By the time I reached the mall and circled through it I had over 32 km on the clock so I knew I really only had to do seven circuits of the Power/Riverside
loop to put me within easy striking distance of but five circuits of Power/Dynes loop before I could head for home. It was around 4:10 pm when I started on the last leg of the return but it was considerably darker than a week or so ago at the same time. There was a fair bit of low cloud cover so I assume the setting sun had this blanket dampening its rays. Earlier on, particularly on the hills to the east, wisps of similar cloud festooned different parts of the slopes like cotton batten strewn by an angry giant's child. Much of the snow on these self-same slopes appeared much diminished, in part, from the recent rain as well as the warming temperatures. Suited me as I couldn't have been more comfortable, dressed as I was. My legs felt rested so it was a wonderful ride, especially when I really had not even thought that I was going to be able to cycle until the beginning of March, at the earliest. Hip Hip Hooray! Cheers!!! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4467699098#.XijrYyjZb5U.email




Hello Baja Boy! Wonderful that you are cycling in Mexico, seemingly Lotus Land, lolling on the sand and sipping umbrella decorated drinks while the rest of us live in the real world! Have very much enjoyed your descriptions of trip/country-side, etc., ever since I first received your account of exciting junket. Coincidentally, another good friend, Janet Tomkins, [Former Head of VPL's Dunbar Branch, now retired.], is now in India, for fourth time, currently in Amritsar, so I'm more than happy to be armchair "traveling" with you both! Stay well, Beach Bums! Best wishes to you and your cycling companions, Ross. Cheers for now, Patrizzio!

 





No comments:

Post a Comment