Saturday 25 January 2020

Lunar New Year and The Year of the Rat Blues: Saturday, January 25th!

Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. -Louis L'Amour, novelist (1908-1988)


Hi Dame Judith! I'm wondering if you would like to join us for bridge on Monday, as a way to decompress from your rave Broadway run! So far, we have six players so we'd love the return of the prodigal bidder to make up two tables. Annabel would be more than welcome so please extend invitation to her. Let me know, when you have a moment, between makeup and curtain call. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!
Hi Patrick: I have two wedding interviews on Monday one at 3 and one at 7:30. Sorry, I can't make it to bridge. Judi Too, too bad, for us! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick, Don't see any other replies but if you get more and need to make up the 2nd table , I could play on the 27th. Cheers Ann AEB Hi Judy Blue and Green Gables Girl! Thank you both for offering to play. So far, including you both, we have six players. This being the case, I am wondering if you might be able to persuade one of your friends who have joined us, in the past, to make up at least seven, but wonderful, if eight, of course. Let me know what you think and I'll plan accordingly. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio! Like I said last Monday I can't play Monday. Have fun bridge bidders. Jos Gung hay fat Choy I am happy to cocoon! Xo Judy Blue

Was drizzling, on and off, for most of today, so I took an exercise-free day. Tomorrow's forecast suggests partly sunny with showers so will just have to wait and see what develops. We are off to the SOWTS' Robbie Burns Dinner on Sunday afternoon, at 3:00 pm, so if I ride it will have to be reasonably early. 
Lady Dar is still over at Chloë's helping her give Rowan James a bath. I walked home earlier as we dropped the car off so that she could take it to Sendero this evening to have a Games Night with Famiglia Sutherland.

Kid Chelene popped down to Winnipeg Street while we were there to help me move a small dresser and a large flat-screen TV upstairs. Work on basement suite is to commence this coming week so that floor had to be cleared of everything that had been stored there since Chloë moved in August. Corinne and I were able to haul all of the smaller bins, and such, upstairs, on Wednesday, when Mike, the contractor who did our kitchen, was over to run through what Chloë would like. Lady Dar had drawn up a pretty decent floor plan so he has a good idea now of what is what.




Pics: Rowan James in his snuggly this afternoon and then story-time while I was putting the last few shelves in set of Ikea cabinets Chloë purchased a few weeks ago. Assembly was hell! Rowan James in his snuggly this afternoon and then story-time while I was putting the last few shelves in set of Ikea cabinets Chloë had purchased a few weeks ago. Assembly was hell and I still wake up, screaming, at 3:00 am most nights! Fortunately, a wee dram seems to calm my peeled nerves and allows me to go back to sleep, even if fitfully, until next Swedish nightmare insists itself on my subconscious! Pour and repeat!
 
Just about finished packing, Sorry to hear about your niece but glad to hear about your shoulder during swimming. Haven’t been to Joshua Tree NP but will put it on our list of things to do. I just don’t know how you make time to produce these long epistles! No wonder you have so many chores in abeyance. By the way, we saw Judy as well and thought it very interesting and well acted. Take good care of RJ! cheers, Bill.
 Hi Pac Man! I have trained the felines to write up rough drafts for all my messages so most of the hard work is already done before I have to edit them and then send them out. Presto! I really encourage you to visit JTNP. If you have access to bikes you can even ride around the park, or parts of it. If I ever have the chance to return I plan to take my Trek. For the most part the park is fairly flat and, depending on time of year, of course, not all that much traffic, so cycling is fine. Fondestos from Lady Dar, just back from Winnipeg, to you both. Stay well, pack sparingly, drink deeply, dear friends. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Etta likes to nap in the crib we have at Burns!

Republic Day: The last blog entry focused in large part on my visit to a local village while staying near Anandpur Sahib.

During my time at Anand@TheSatluj, I was also able to visit a local school. I believe this was an unusual event for them, as when I signed the visitor book at the end, I noticed that the previous entry was dated November 6, 2019, and that ALL previous visitors were apparently Indian. At least, the fact that their comments were written in Punjabi would seem to indicate as much. Again, as I was taken around, I attracted many curious stares and giggles. 
The school has about 1200 students, ranging from nursery (equivalent of preschool) to senior secondary. Education is free until the 8th year, after which fees must be paid, although about 300 disadvantaged students are funded to attend through donations. I believe that some effort is also made to support younger students who might face challenges attending school. At least, when I was introduced to one of the younger classes, I was informed that the students were from “poor families.” 
I was briefly taken into several classrooms, with the students all standing up deferentially as the teacher who was showing me around brought me in. It was explained that I was from Canada and the students were invited to ask me questions about Canada, as it was a good opportunity for those who might be interested in emigrating in the future. They were very shy and hesitant, though, so I just shared a few facts about Canada, and that was about the extent of it. The classrooms themselves were dim and sparse — basically just desks and blackboards.

I was also introduced to a lovely group of women who prepare the hot meal that is served to all of the students every day and who invited me to sample the fruits of their culinary efforts (potato curry with rice — very good).
 
As it happened, my visit to the school occurred at an unusual time, as preparations for Republic Day celebrations were underway. Republic Day, celebrated annually on January 26, honours the date in 1950 on which the Constitution of India Act came into effect, and students from other area schools had arrived to join those at “my” school in rehearsals for their participation in the celebrations, which included military-style drills as well as cultural activities such as dancing. I watched for quite awhile, and I must say that the students seemed extremely keen — even joyful — and the standard was very high.


(I am belatedly getting back to (finishing!?) these daily summaries of the Baja ride. Feel free to ignore them if the requisite excitement has gone.)
*** Baja2020 — Day 19 (Jan. 25) Ciudad Constitución —> Las Pocitas (96 km)

Another nice day of riding which led to one of our more memorable stays, in the truck stop and treasure trove of unexpected delights called Las Pocitas. As for the riding, the pictures tell the tale — a pleasant start in the cool, sunny morning, lots of straight stretches to give time to think, plus a few hills just because. one notable sight was a sizeable field of solar electric panel supports, presumably awaiting panels and project activation.

Riders rolled in shortly after noon, with Mark crossing the finish line first. Ross had driven the van for the second half of the ride and had scouted out the few eateries along the 1/2 km strip that comprised Las Pocitas. As luck had it, we were able to enjoy a superb lunch of flavourful burritos in a rustic but tony restaurant at the south end of town.

Next job was to find a camp site. Explorations resulted in the discovery of World’s Nastiest Burrs, which quickly covered any socks, shoes, car tires, bike tires, you-name-it, that brushed against them. The barbs on these babies were so sharp the burrs pretty much had to be removed with tweezers. Another possible site was already occupied ... by a 5’ cape gopher snake. Deliberations ensued over the short listed camping sites, with Don and Tony (credit where due) casting deciding votes against a spot in the desert and in favour of an abandoned construction site distinguished by proximity to a public toilet and cold beer from the Oxxo convenience store across the highway. Don & Tony set up tents in choice spots, Mark would sleep in his van, others enjoyed the ready-made comforts of the unfinished building.

At dusk we again feasted, this time on excellent tacos. Loud and lively Mexican music had started up at a nearby house where a lively party was under way. This we enjoyed, along with the background thrumming of idling diesel trucks, throughout the evening and well past midnight.

All in all, these are the nights that memories are made of!!






No comments:

Post a Comment